Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Miseducation of Jimbo Slice

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

are u training your arm to help with powerlifting or for aesthetic purposes?

Big arms = win!!

Basically....

Hahaha I've never trained my biceps at all really, and I'm never arsed doing it at the end of a session. But recently I've been training pull ups first and the improvements have been sweet... so I figured I'd give my guns some attention too. And yes, I said guns.

5/3/1 - Wave 3 - "3" Day

Pull Ups:
    bodyweight 2x10

Deadlifts:
    70kg x5
    100kg x3
    140kg x3
    170kg x3
    190kg x3
    *belt*
    210kg x6

SLDL off a plate:
    115kg 4x10

Good Mornings:
    75kg 3x15

Pulldown Abs:
    warm ups
    stack +20kg 2x10 - fcuking FINALLY

Hanging Leg Raises:
    x7, x5

Seated Dumbbell Curls:
    15kg 'bells 3x15

Decided I badly needed to take the finger out today and do some decent deadlifting. Got a big aggressive and pulled the 210kg x6 pretty handily. After ANOTHER hard week end (they have to stop soon!!!) and about 12-14 hours cumulative sleep since Friday morning I'm happy enough with the performance.

SLDL's were nice and nasty again...

High rep GM's hurt like notthing else on my abs and low back (that's a good thing!!)

Pushing my ab training hard again in preparation for competition season next year, happy to bust out 20kg for 2 sets of 10 again finally. And the hanging leg raises were nice to finish.

After 5-6 weeks of just going thru the motions the fire is back burning strong again. Watch out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

Hanley wrote: »
    After ANOTHER hard week end (they have to stop soon!!!)

They'll get you dry and RIPPED for Summer :cool:

Kev M wrote: »
    They'll get you dry and RIPPED for Summer :cool:

Not these type of weekends buddy!!

Stations off the Cross with Kevpants and Wifepants:
    30 up and downs

Evil Papal Fran:
    21 burpees, 2 hill sprints
    21 squats, 2 hill sprints
    15 burpees, 2 hill sprints
    15 squats, 2 hill springs
    9 burpees, 2 hill sprints
    9 squats, 2 hill sprints

Time Taken: 11mins 16 seconds

Real lung buster today. Cardio's improving tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

Cardio's improving tho.

Hey cheers, nice to know people like me :D,ah no but seriously, if anyone says powerlifters are fatties ill direct them to this here cardio. :)

5/3/1 - Wave 3 - "3" Day

Diesel Crew Shoulder Warm Up:
    5kg 'bells - 4 reps

Bench:
    60kg x5
    80kg x3
    100kg x3
    115kg x3
    130kg x4 - ugh
    100kg 5x8

Dips:
    bodyweight +10kg 4x10, 1x9 - grrrr!!

Pull Ups:
    bodyweight +10kg x8, 6, 5, 5, 4

*learning how to kip x50-60* (well.. trying to learn)

Face Pulls:
    plate 75 4x12

*supersetted with*

One Arm Barbell Curls:
    22.5kg x8, 6, 5, 5

Thoughts later probs!

5/3/1 - Wave 3 - "3" Day

Diesel Crew Shoulder Warm Up:
    5kg 'bells - 4 reps

Bench:
    60kg x5
    80kg x3
    100kg x3
    115kg x3
    130kg x4 - ugh
    100kg 5x8

Dips:
    bodyweight +10kg 4x10, 1x9 - grrrr!!

Pull Ups:
    bodyweight +10kg x8, 6, 5, 5, 4

*learning how to kip x50-60* (well.. trying to learn)

Face Pulls:
    plate 75 4x12

*supersetted with*

One Arm Barbell Curls:
    22.5kg x8, 6, 5, 5

Thoughts later probs!

Not happy with my benching. My technique's gone to absolute sh!t. I'm 100% sure it's cos I'm benching so infrequently. Like even keeping tight and getting a proper bar path's hard.

The 5x8 with 100kg got better as the sets went on, which reinforces my opinion.

Haven't dipped in a few weeks and my bench hasn't moved, so I'm saying not dipping is bad for my bench at the moment. Once again got a ****ty 9 on the final set, but I leaned in more and could feel it hitting my chest better this time.

Pull ups were grand.. just said 5 sets of as many as possible!!

The kipping attempts were absolutely hilarious. Myself and Kev made an absolute DISGRACE of ourselves. Gonna have to keep working on them cos they were crap.

Stations of the cross - satan style:

Sprint up, run down x5

Repeated 4x!!

Times were;

Set 1 - 1min 21 seconds
    Set 2 - 1 min 14 seconds
    Set 3 - 1 min 13 seconds
    Set 4 - 1 min 16 seconds

A total of 5 minutes and 4 seconds of work, but it was HORRIBLE. Literally getting up and down as fast as possible. Much more of a ball breaker, and a totally different kind of pain to 30 up and downs with walks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

Stations of the cross - satan style:

Sprint up, run down x5

Repeated 4x!!

Times were;

Set 1 - 1min 21 seconds
    Set 2 - 1 min 14 seconds
    Set 3 - 1 min 13 seconds
    Set 4 - 1 min 16 seconds

A total of 5 minutes and 4 seconds of work, but it was HORRIBLE. Literally getting up and down as fast as possible. Much more of a ball breaker, and a totally different kind of pain to 30 up and downs with walks.

Yeah that's actually the way I did it yesterday except only 2 sets. Going by how my knees feel today though I'm not sure if running back down was such a great idea. 4 sets of that is pretty sickening I'd imagine, I was destroyed after 2.

• Advertisement

guys all you plers need to start a running club at this rate... FatMenRunning.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Kev M wrote: »
    Yeah that's actually the way I did it yesterday except only 2 sets. Going by how my knees feel today though I'm not sure if running back down was such a great idea. 4 sets of that is pretty sickening I'd imagine, I was destroyed after 2.

From my interest in hiking, I reckon that if downhill walking is so tough on the knees, down hill running is probably a bad Idea.

5/3/1 - Wave 3 - "3" Day

Squats:
    60kg 2x5
    90kg x3
    120kg x3
    145kg x3
    165kg x3
    *belt*
    185kg x5
    *belt off*
    140kg x16
    130kg x20

Step Ups:
    30kg 2x10

One Leg RDL's:
    30kg 2x10

Lying Leg Curls:
    Stack minus 1 plate 3x10

*supersetted with*

Machine Preacher Curls:
    Stack minus 3 plates 3x12

Hanging Leg Raises:
    1x10, 1x8

Good stuff!

Weight on 14/5 - 103.5kg, waist = 38 inches (approx)

Weight on 1/6 - 100.5kg, waist = 36.25 inches (approx)

Weight on 3/6 - don't know, waist = 36 inches, Caliper's = 16ish (to 17)mm

Weight on 8/6 - 99.94kg, waist = 35.9999 inches, calipers = 16ish mm

Weight on 15/6 - 99.1kg, waist = 35.5 inches, calipers = 16mm, bodyfat = 17%

Weight on 5/7 - 96.86kg, waist = <35.5, >35 inches, calipers = 15/16mm, bodyfat = 15.4%

Weight on 27/4/09 - 109kg, waist = 39 inches, calipers = 21mm, bodyfat = 20%

Weight on 12/7/09 - 103.75kg, waist = 37 inches, calipers = 17-18mm, bodyfat = 17ish%

The weight loss seems to be going decently well now at this stage!

Gonna get out for an easy 1km run this afternoon and follow it up with some hill sprints I reckon.

guys all you plers need to start a running club at this rate... FatMenRunning.jpg

I was going to let this slide... but I'm feeling mean this morning.

I don't see a computer in this pic, so I don't know how you keep managing to get online????

together-creche1.jpg

ha,ha,ha.....

5/3/1 - Wave 3 - "3" Day

Barbell Curls:
    40kg x8
    50kg 2x10

Military Press:
    40kg x3
    55kg x3
    62.5kg x3
    70kg x6

Standing One Arm Dumbbell Press:
    25kg 'bells 4x10

3 Board Press:
    60kg x5
    90kg x3
    *add in board*
    110kg x3
    130kg 5x5

Pendlay Row:
    60kg x6
    80kg x6
    100kg 5x6

Chins:
    bodyweight +10kg x10, 8, 7(ish)

Weighted Decline Sit Ups:
    10kg plate over face 5x10

*supersetted with*

Face Pulls:
    plate 75 5x12

Stepping it up - training with a purpose again.

5/3/1 - Wave 3 - "3" Day

Barbell Curls:
    40kg x8
    50kg 2x10

Military Press:
    40kg x3
    55kg x3
    62.5kg x3
    70kg x6

Standing One Arm Dumbbell Press:
    25kg 'bells 4x10

3 Board Press:
    60kg x5
    90kg x3
    *add in board*
    110kg x3
    130kg 5x5

Pendlay Row:
    60kg x6
    80kg x6
    100kg 5x6

Chins:
    bodyweight +10kg x10, 8, 7(ish)

Weighted Decline Sit Ups:
    10kg plate over face 5x10

*supersetted with*

Face Pulls:
    plate 75 5x12

Stepping it up - training with a purpose again.

So training today...

Gun show was out in full force. My arms are certainly starting to get stronger, and I could feel my biceps working as well so maybe it's the start of some growth. Fingers crossed!!

Military Press was sh!t as usual. I'm pushing as hard as I can on em, but they're going nowhere. Lucky shoulder strength doesn't matter :p

The one arm presses are actually starting to move up quite well now tho, which is strange. I can REALLY feel my shoulders working on them, more so than any other shoulder exercise I've ever done.

As expected, my lockout strength's down a bit, but it was at the end of some heavy pressing and I haven't trained it in quite some time - "It's a neural thing" ( Kevpants - lol!!). I got thru the reps with relative ease, and did them more controlled and less Metal Militia-y than normal. Gonna bump up 5kg next week and go 5x5 again. Hopefully I'll steal some progress over the next couple of months on em.

Reviewed my log and when I was doing Pendlay Rows everything was stronger, so they've come back in. Again high(ish) weight and lots of sets is the order of the day. I'll be going up 5kg again next week too.

Chins were alright... Felt my lats working, so I guess that's good???

As always, can never have enough upper back or ab strength. So taking a bit of a volume based approach on them over the next while.

Stations of The Cross

Long Hill:
    sprint up, run down x5, x6 (to catch up with Kev!!), x5, x5

Papal Fran:
    21/15/9 Burpees + Squats
    Time: 4 mins 14 seconds

The long hill's absolutely evil. I don't know why anyone would run around in circles for half an hour when you can just batter yourself into the ground with some sprints. I love it.

HUGE PR on my Papal Fran as well. Last time I did it was exactly 3 weeks ago and I scored a 5.46. Knocked 1 minute and 32 seconds off that today so big strides are being made in my conditioning. Sooo breaking 4 mins next time.

Re-testing proper Fran at some stage next week, so hoping for big improvements there too.

5/3/1 - Wave 3 - "5/3/1" Day

Pull Ups:
    bodyweight 2x10

Deathlift (an hommage to Misha and Kev):
    60kg x5
    100kg x3
    140kg x2
    170kg x5
    195kg x3
    *belt*
    220kg x5 - I found my deadlift mojo again

Speed Pulls:
    140kg 8x2

SLDL off a plate:
    115kg 5x10

GM's:
    77.5kg 3x15

Pulldown Abs:
    warm ups
    stack +20kg 2x10, 1x8 - and my ab strength seems to be returning too!!

Seated Dumbbell Curls:
    17.5kg 'bells 3x15

Alriiiiiiiight!!! Stepped it up a bit today and things came around nicely, even after running my guts out yesterday. My body seems to be my friend again :D

Pull ups were sweet, just banged them out cold and coulda kept going on both of em!

Gritted my teeth and went for it on the DL's too. Mighta got a 6th, and probably shoulda gone for it. Disappointed in myself in that regard. But considering my first 5/3/1 wave I only got 210x3 I'll take the improvement. Not too far off PR levels either, maybe 5kg away (the 232.5kg x5 I did had rest of like 10-15 seconds between reps).

Speed pulls are back cos they REALLY helped coming up to this years nationals. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to show it, but based the ease with which I pulled 250 in training they were doing the job. Probably need to introduce some grip work now cos a lot of my heavy DL's are being done with straps cos of the crap bars in TF.

SLDL's were nasty, gut jammed into legs and a serious back pump = sick feeling.

GM's were much the same!

Pulldown Abs are starting to work their way back up thankfully. Not too far off PR levels there, and the cool thing is that I know when I put up 5kg more my core's strong enough to support a 310-320kg squat!!

• Advertisement

Torture Session

500m Row Intervals, rest as long as needed, 3x:

Total: 4mins 36.3 seconds

Tabata Intervals on "The Grappler" - http://www.exercise.co.uk/images/prod/prop_1_1084.jpg
    20 seconds on, 10 off x8

Distance: .88

Today was fcuking UGLY. Absolutely horrible workout to try and do. The rows sound easy on paper, but after about 250m going hard you begin to think "why am I doing this" and with 150m left it's just a case of grit your teeth and keep going.

Coming into the last interval Kev was leading 1-0 (with a draw on the second one) and he said sure fcuk it, we'll go for total time, no doubt thinking his 1.3 second lead had him safe!! I actually got psyched for the last one (how ghey is that???) and just nicked him. Doubt I'll be as lucky next time. I don't think either of us woulda got those times withotu each to push tho so everyone wins.

The tabata's on the grappler suuuuuuuuuuuuck. My shoulders felt like they were gonna die. Kev got his revenge here and beat me by .01. Sickening, but deserved.

Twas really nice not to have something beat the sh!t outta my shins too!!

Oh and check this out, Ed's an absolute GENIUS for coming up with this name!!!!

Henceforth, the "Papal Fran" of 21/15/9 burpees and air squats, aka "Hanley Fran", shall be know as Franley!!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

Haha, it just made sense!

Those are some damn fast 500 times. Have you rowed that distance often before, or rowed in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

The tabata's on the grappler suuuuuuuuuuuuck. My shoulders felt like they were gonna die. Kev got his revenge here and beat me by .01. Sickening, but deserved.

That always looked a great machine to me.....
    Never saw it anywhere but TF though.

Yah, they're actually pretty cool. Never used it before but on a higher setting I'd say it'd be great for a bit of grip training.
    Dead Ed wrote: »
    Haha, it just made sense!

Those are some damn fast 500 times. Have you rowed that distance often before, or rowed in general?

Are they?? Deadly, thanks :)

As for rowing often... well the first gym I ever joined had one... about 5 years ago. Went on it maybe 5 or 6 times.... Haven't been on one since then tho!!!

5/3/1 - Wave 3 - "5/3/1" Day

Bench:
    60kg x5
    75kg x3
    90kg x2
    110kg x5
    125kg x3
    137.5kg x2 - Vooooooooooooom
    100kg x10,9,8

Dips:
    bodyweight +10kg 3x12

Pull Ups:
    bodyweight +10kg x10, 9, 6

Face Pulls w/ straight bar on cable crossover:
    82.5 3x15

*supersetted with*

One Arm Barbell Curls:
    22.5kg x10, 6, 8

Total vomit session to be honest. Shoulders were toast after that stupid grappler yesterday.

Kev tells me when Wendler started conditioning his upperbody strength dropped off and his legs stayed ok, so he better be right!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Torture Session

500m Row Intervals, rest as long as needed, 3x:

Total: 4mins 36.3 seconds

Today was fcuking UGLY. Absolutely horrible workout to try and do. The rows sound easy on paper, but after about 250m going hard you begin to think "why am I doing this" and with 150m left it's just a case of grit your teeth and keep going.

They're some pretty damn good times for someone who doesn't row! And they really are f*cking torturous!

Parsley wrote: »
    They're some pretty damn good times for someone who doesn't row! And they really are f*cking torturous!

Thanks man!!

What were you putting up for 5's when you were rowing competitively?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Around the same as yours, for sets of about 6 or 8. The first few would be around 1.30, then they'd go up to about 1.35-1.37 when your muscles are on fire with all the lactic acid building up. There were lads gettin better scores than me though, i was never that good on the rowing machine. Out in the boat was all that really mattered!

• Advertisement

Parsley wrote: »
    Around the same as yours, for sets of about 6 or 8. The first few would be around 1.30, then they'd go up to about 1.35-1.37 when your muscles are on fire with all the lactic acid building up. There were lads gettin better scores than me though, i was never that good on the rowing machine. Out in the boat was all that really mattered!

6-8 sounds rough as hell... what sorta rest periods did you guys take? Just as needed...?

Advertisement