Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Miseducation of Jimbo Slice

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

REALLY frickin sore today after the sprints yesterday. First time I've experienced DOMS from them. I'm reasonably sure it's a result of having to decelerate myself after them. Nto something that seems to happen on hills because they naturally slow me down when I take my foot off the pedal.

I think the flat sprints will be ditched. No point in being this sore when I can just run some hills instead.

5/3/1 - Wave 2 - "5/3/1" Day

Diesel Crew Shoulder Warm Up:
    5kg 'bells - 3 reps

Pull Ups:
    bodyweight 2x8

Hang Power Snatch:
    30kg x3
    40kg x3
    50kg x2
    60kg x2
    65kg x2

Military Press:
    40kg x5
    50kg x3
    57.5kg x5
    65kg x3
    72.5kg x5 - vom

Standing One Arm Dumbbell Press:
    22.5kg 'bells 5x10

Close Grip Bench:
    60kg x5
    75kg x5
    87.5kg 4x8

Chin Ups:
    bodyweight +10kg 4x6

Day-cent enough today I suppose.... Snatches were alright... have a vid of them which I should have up later. I think I'm extending a little bit too soon. Worked on catching them a little bit lower today.

Pull ups were good again... guess I'll be going to 2x9 next time.

Military press was fairly crap again.. as usual. At least I got 5 reps, so I guess I should get another 4 or 5 waves at least before I have to think about resetting!!

One Arm Dumbbell Press were good today, better than last week anyway. Gonna stick with 22.5kg for one more session and then move up.

CG bench is coming along nicely. Obviously it's not a huge amount of weight by any stretch of the imagination, but the weight's going up and the effort I'm having to put in is coming down.

Chins were cool... I'll go to 12.5kg next time.

I got some new shoes today too... :)
    shoecore.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Hanley wrote: »
    5/3/1 - Wave 2 - "5/3/1" Day

5kg 'bells - 3 reps

Pull Ups:
    bodyweight 2x8

Hang Power Snatch:
    30kg x3
    40kg x3
    50kg x2
    60kg x2
    65kg x2

Military Press:
    40kg x5
    50kg x3
    57.5kg x5
    65kg x3
    72.5kg x5 - vom

Standing One Arm Dumbbell Press:
    22.5kg 'bells 5x10

Close Grip Bench:
    60kg x5
    75kg x5
    87.5kg 4x8

Chin Ups:
    bodyweight +10kg 4x6

Day-cent enough today I suppose.... Snatches were alright... have a vid of them which I should have up later. I think I'm extending a little bit too soon. Worked on catching them a little bit lower today.

Pull ups were good again... guess I'll be going to 2x9 next time.

Military press was fairly crap again.. as usual. At least I got 5 reps, so I guess I should get another 4 or 5 waves at least before I have to think about resetting!!

One Arm Dumbbell Press were good today, better than last week anyway. Gonna stick with 22.5kg for one more session and then move up.

CG bench is coming along nicely. Obviously it's not a huge amount of weight by any stretch of the imagination, but the weight's going up and the effort I'm having to put in is coming down.

Chins were cool... I'll go to 12.5kg next time.

I got some new shoes today too... :)
    shoecore.jpg

I pity the fool who scuffs your new runners!

Impressive work. I would not call that CG Bench "light" by any stretch of the imagination.

floggg wrote: »
    I pity the fool who scuffs your new runners!

Impressive work. I would not call that CG Bench "light" by any stretch of the imagination.

Haha they're too clean and new.... I wanna get out and give them some character. You should see the state of my Cons!!

I know it's not "light" light, but I've benched 120kg x8 and close gripped 135kg x1, so it's not exactly proportionally heavy!!! It's at the end of a session after some rough pressing movements tho so I don't mind that much. Once my actual bench keeps moving I'm happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I love that you think 72.5kg overhead is crap. This is your second month following 5/3/1 isn't it, what do you think of it so far?

• Advertisement

I love that you think 72.5kg overhead is crap. This is your second month following 5/3/1 isn't it, what do you think of it so far?

I like the simplicity. I like how I can do my shoulder warm ups, pull ups and oly stuff before it and not have it suffer. I like only having to do 3 - 4 assistance exercises, but keeping the volume high. I like the way a cycle's over 10 days so I can recover better and stil lget out and do some runs.

I like that I'm FINALLY hitting PR's, and common consensus seems to be that things really take off in the 3rd and 4th cycle so hopefully it'll hold true.

Overall, I like it!

Hang Power Snatch - 65kg x2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Starting to look lean! Don't think I've seen ya in two weeks or more? Ya definitely look more trim.

I decided to try skipping at the weekend out of curiosity, got 1000 skips handy enough. It was good actually, did them in bursts of 50 or 60 and was done in about half an hour or so. Not nearly as boring as I remember other cardio stuff. Might try and incorporate it or something like it.

Interesting that you're liking the hills, Wifepants has been dragging me on walks with her in the phoenix park with the good weather and all and walking quickly for an hour is like hell for me, I end up a cramped up ball of sweat. But we walk past the hill at the Papal Cross there and now I'm thinking I could bomb up and down that for 20 mins and then take a 40 min nap while she goes for a walk!

Dunno how fitting the location would be as I'd imagine quite a few expletives would be uttered while running the hill, mightn't be good for my afterlife prospects.

kevpants wrote: »
    Starting to look lean! Don't think I've seen ya in two weeks or more? Ya definitely look more trim.

I decided to try skipping at the weekend out of curiosity, got 1000 skips handy enough. It was good actually, did them in bursts of 50 or 60 and was done in about half an hour or so. Not nearly as boring as I remember other cardio stuff. Might try and incorporate it or something like it.

Interesting that you're liking the hills, Wifepants has been dragging me on walks with her in the phoenix park with the good weather and all and walking quickly for an hour is like hell for me, I end up a cramped up ball of sweat. But we walk past the hill at the Papal Cross there and now I'm thinking I could bomb up and down that for 20 mins and then take a 40 min nap while she goes for a walk!

Dunno how fitting the location would be as I'd imagine quite a few expletives would be uttered while running the hill, mightn't be good for my afterlife prospects.

Haha I copied your training, so you copy my cardio. Seems fair enough!!

Skipping's not actually too bad eh?? My shins and ankles were feeling it after 3 days in a row tho, so ya might wanna be careful of that if nothing else!

I actually enjoy going for walks when the weather's good believe it or not.... The pope's cross is a VERY interesting proposition. I know Naos who posts here from time to time was talking about using it too.

Give me a shout some day if you're afraid to do it on your own!

29/4/09
    Just back from my 2km round... hit a PR. 13.22!! That's -30 seconds since my last one on Monday. I pushed a little bit harder in spots today and backed off in others (it was only the difference between a jog and barely moving tho!!!). But once again, I did it without stopping, so onwards and upwards. The 13 min mark should go soon.

I was straight out of bed and half way around before I knew where I was. Probably good considering how wet it is out!

Last time I did my 2km run it was in the above time...

Well today I did it in....

12 minutes 20 seconds!!!!

A 62 second PR without doing anything other than hill sprints and skipping. Pretty damn happy with that!!

Best part is, my lungs were good for way more. My calves and lower back cramping up is the only reason I didn't go faster. I had enough energy to jog comfortably the whole time and still be able to pick it up with a little kick every now and again. I reckon the sub 12 mins 2km is on soon... Happy days.

Might take a crack at a sub 5 min 1km during the week too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭jayoo

I love skipping, i find that doing it one leg at a time is a serious way to destroy the calfs, or superset with some bodyweight squats

New shoes.. i had new shoes once :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

lol hanley has small feet :P

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I think the flat sprints will be ditched. No point in being this sore when I can just run some hills instead.
    Or find some steps. I cycle around the coast. At whiterock beach there is a savage amount of steps, I bound up them 2 at a time.
    166544567_947b51ecf9.jpg

Also loads around killiney hill, I once went up them holding my mountain bike overhead keeping it stable, I was destroyed after it.

That's not a bad idea!!! I could see myself being fairly dead after that... can't think of any that close to me tho unfortunately! It's hard work trying to motivate myself to go looking for them too when there's a park with 2 good hills to run less than 300m away!!!

Hill Sprints - Tree Hill

250m jog

15 Up and downs

*die for 2-3 minutes*

250m jog

Time Taken: 15 mins 15 seconds

Happy with today's effort. The "tree" hill, as it will be referred to henceforth for recording purposes, is actually a total bitch. It's a bloody hard run (for me anyway) but still my favourite hill. Managed to push thru a lot better today, was getting down the hill a bit quicker and driving all the way up. It was slippy in places so there was one or two slips on the way up, nothing major, but enough to break my stride.

Last time I ran it I did 300m more on the jog, but 5 less hills in about 15 seconds more. Deffo improved today. I said I'd try Fran again when I got below 105kg. I don't think it's too far away!!

Still no training of any real significance going on.... deload week and all that.

5kg 'bells - 3 reps

Hang Power Snatches:
    20kg 2x3
    30kg x3
    40kg x2
    50kg x2
    60kg x2 - one power snatch, one hang power snatch
    65kg 3x2 - ^^same as^^

Hang Power Cleans:
    60kg x3
    70kg x3
    80kg x3
    90kg x2
    95kg x2
    100kg 2x1

Pull Ups:
    bodyweight x14 - have a vid, but not really too happy with it

Pulldown Abs:
    warm ups
    stack +20kg x10, x9 AGAIN - grrrrr

Barbell Curls:
    20kg x5
    30kg x5
    40kg x5
    50kg x5
    60kg x5
    52.5kg x12 - 50% of bodyweight

Pushups:
    1 minute - 42 reps -> PRcore

Complete waste of a session really.... getting a bit more comfortable with the oly stuff. Still nothing but a complete weekend warrior on them tho.

Didn't really hit full hang on the pull ups, my left shoulder has a nasty habit of attempting to subluxate if I do tho :s I'l stick the vid up later....

Curls were fun.... coulda actually got more with 60kg. Think my Pr's around 62.5kg x7. I guess a mid term goal is to hit 50% of bodyweight x20. Mighta pushed on to 14 or 15 today but wanted to save a bit for the push ups.

Push ups - working towards 50 in less than a min!!

Pushups:
    1 minute - 42 reps -> PRcore

Twat.
    Didn't really hit full hang on the pull ups, my left shoulder has a nasty habit of attempting to subluxate if I do tho :s I'l stick the vid up later....

Gonna say something controversial. I don't think full extension chins or pull ups are a good idea. I mean you're not supposed to fully lock out a bench for your elbows sake, or a leg press for your knees sake. Why is feeling like your shoulder is gonna pop a good idea? It definitely isn't good if you're 100kg+.

There's my rationale for not doing them anyway.

I've sort of been thinking the same kev cause the hang at the bottom is the absolute hardest part for me, and as you say makes it feel like my shoulders are about to pop (and I don't even have shoulder problems).

Twat.

Wanna hear the worst of it...? Remember I collapsed after 55 seconds last time.... was good for more today but my minute ran out :p

Gonna say something controversial. I don't think full extension chins or pull ups are a good idea. I mean you're not supposed to fully lock out a bench for your elbows sake, or a leg press for your knees sake. Why is feeling like your shoulder is gonna pop a good idea? It definitely isn't good if you're 100kg+.

Deffo agree. I don't see the point in letting my shoulders be up around my ears. Probably gonna get attacked for that... but whatev's. They're my shoulders and they'll cry not reach full extenstion if they want to.
    I've sort of been thinking the same kev cause the hang at the bottom is the absolute hardest part for me, and as you say makes it feel like my shoulders are about to pop (and I don't even have shoulder problems).

So we all agree :D

So we all agree :D

Surprisingly all the fatties agree that they don't want to do pull ups from a dead hang. lol ;)

• Advertisement

Surprisingly all the fatties agree that they don't want to do pull ups from a dead hang. lol ;)

Ahem.. I'll have you know I was a svelte 104.8kg this morning.

Ahem.. I'll have you know I was a svelte 104.8kg this morning.

Like you said Brian.

FATTIES UNITE!

Like you said Brian.

FATTIES UNITE!

I'm down to the second last hole on my belt :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

I'd be inclined to agree as well and I'm only a wee 80kg! I find it's hell on my shoulders going down to a dead hang, and as well as that i fell my lats get much more work if i come down to a little bit above a dead hang after each rep...

I'm down to the second last hole on my belt :p

Not my problem you bought an oversized belt! ;)

Not my problem you bought an oversized belt! ;)

I'm nearly 100% sure our belts are the same size.... :pac:

Some vids;

Pull ups - bodyweight x14 (told ya they were ugly!!)

Power Snatch + Hang Power Snatch - 60kg

Power Snatch + Hang Power Snatch - 65kg

Hang Power Clean - 100kg (the crappiness might blind you!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

I'd go with that. The whole full extension thing is just to do with fully stretching out the lats at the bottom of every rep, but that's just a bodybuilding way of thinking. It's gonna be good for the lats but is that really worth risking your shoulders? There's pros and cons to it. Just like a behind-the-neck press, it can fcuk your rotators good and well, but on the pro side it hits much more middle and rear delt than a press to the front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Hanley your Hang Snatches are sick....... i have to get my shoulders well over the bar to get a decent extension and not break myself, and then you just stand up and **** it over your head.... bastard!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Advertisement