Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Miseducation of Jimbo Slice

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Sunday:

7.1km walk

Gonna try force myself go run in the rain now.

5km run - 32mins 27seconds

My one objective today was literally to keep moving. Had 2 unavoidable traffic light stops of 10-15 seconds each, but other than that I went straight thru.

Have to say I'm VERY happy I managed it. 5km is roughly 2.5x longer than I've run non stop in about 4 years!! Average time was 6.5mins per km which is obviously beyond rubbish, but I'm happy enough to take it.

Conditioning Block

Hill Sprints - Tree Hill:
    10 up and downs as fast as possible
    Time: 3mins 42 seconds

Extended Fran-ley:

27/21/15/9 burpees and air squats
    Time: 7mins 40 seconds

The hill sprints fcuking SUCKED like you would not believe. I said to myself "one shot, go til you collapse" - it was easier to do one all out set than know I had a second one to face (mentally at least). The last one was basically a walk/crawl up the hill... Heart rate was still really elevated 5-6 minutes later and I had to take a 8-9 minute break before tackling the extended Fran-ley.

It SUCKED by the way. I said at the start I'd be happy sub 8, and I saw the clock ready to hit 7mins as I finished my round of 15 squats so I pushed hard for the finish. The extra 27 reps really killed. Didn't seem like it was going to be a lot at the time... but considering normal Fran-ley's normally only 45 reps a piece I added like 50% of the workload on to it so I'm not surprised.

45 mins later and I still feel ill.

5/3/1 - Wave 5 - "5" Day

Military Press:
    40kg x5
    52.5kg x5
    60kg x5
    67.5kg x7

Standing One Arm Dumbbell Press:
    30kg 'bells 3x8

3 Board Press:
    60kg x5
    80kg x3
    100kg x2
    *add in 3 board*
    120kg x3
    140kg 3x5

Pendlay Row:
    60kg x5
    90kg x5
    110kg 3x6

Pull Ups:
    50 sloppy reps in 4 mins 38 seconds

Walk Home:
    3km

Super quick workout today. Decent enough as well. Gotta shower, eat, pre-pack and leave for the cinema in the next 35 mins. Pressure's on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

you dont pre pack food for the cinema do ya? what are ya goin to see? and counting the 3km walk is mega lame! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Hanley wrote: »
    Pull Ups:
    50 sloppy reps in 4 mins 38 seconds
    How many do you do in each set? I did about 60 pullups the other day, over a much longer time though, and then about 25 chins too, at 10-16 reps at a time. I was thinking I would feel it in the morning but was fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

you dont pre pack food for the cinema do ya? what are ya goin to see? and counting the 3km walk is mega lame! :D

For some reason he told me he was getting a large popcorn......

Nope... pre-packing my my clothes for Portugal on Friday.
    rubadub wrote: »
    How many do you do in each set? I did about 60 pullups the other day, over a much longer time though, and then about 25 chins too, at 10-16 reps at a time. I was thinking I would feel it in the morning but was fine.

Not sure tbh.. first set was 16, then 10's, 7's etc all the way down to 3's!
    For some reason he told me he was getting a large popcorn......

..and a DIET coke.

Bastard with your Portugal, and that other bollox is off to Spain again.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

ill send you a post card :P

• Advertisement

Man you should come join us. Ya can come for a swim in the jealous-sea.

5/3/1 - Wave 4 - "3" Day

Pull Ups:
    bodyweight 2x5 - testing my shoulder out

Deadlifts:
    60kg 2x5
    100kg x3
    140kg x3
    167.5kg x3
    190kg x3
    *belt*
    215kg x6

Speed Pulls:
    160kg 8x2

SLDL off a plate:
    125kg 3x10

Hypers:
    3x15 - concentrating on arching my mid-back

Pulldown Abs:
    stack +25kg x10, x6 - and straight into stack x20

Seated Dumbbell Curls:
    22.5kg 'bells x15-7-5rp

Hey all!!!

First session since I got back from Portugal. Went for 2 short jogs over there, but did absolutely nothing otherwise. Had an amazing time, weather was 35+ everyday and the sun was high in the sky all the time!!

Was out surfing a couple of times and I've never had as much sh!t happen in such a short space of time. I got hit on the jaw with my board damn hard and had a bruise that lasted like 4 days, one of the fins hit me in the shoulder hard enough to cut me thru a wetsuit AND rash guard. I was not impressed. And to top it all off the board yanked me hard and I was damn sure I tore something in my shoulder. Actually felt the yank like... still not 100% sure I didn't tbh. Fingers crossed.

Pulling was good today. Really strong, but not particularly fast. Reckon I mighta got a 7th on the 215 but didn't go for it. Totally regretting it now.

Speed Pulls weren't bad, not quick enough tho.

SLDL's were cool... 130kg next time I reckon.

The hypers were really nice, got a great pump in my middle back from em.

Curls for the win.... Tried to push that extra little bit on them today and they went well.

Hardcore dieting has started, and conditioning's back up tomorrow. I love my life!!

Oh and.... I PASSED MY CAP 2 CHARTERED ACCOUNTING EXAMS!!!!! There was only a 52% pass rate for all subjects across Ireland so I'm pretty stoked!

Oh and.... I PASSED MY CAP 2 CHARTERED ACCOUNTING EXAMS!!!!! There was only a 52% pass rate for all subjects across Ireland so I'm pretty stoked!

'stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭brutusthebarber

Good stuff passing the tests man!!!

*goes back to studying*

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Well done with the exams.

How did the pull ups feel? Are you still using that excuse that they're only for the little fella's? :pac:

BossArky wrote: »

How did the pull ups feel? Are you still using that excuse that they're only for the little fella's? :pac:

Shoulder felt ok thankfully... and they're not JUST for the little fellas, but you small chaps have it easier :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

congrats on the examos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Surfing, stoked... ya big fecking yank ye!

Well done on the exams, had a couple of friends miss out on one or two of them, audit surprisingly was the most common one people I know failed. Enjoy the FAE's next year whilst I enjoy an exam free first year:D

More OT - What's arching your back during hypers do for you? Carry over on to the bench?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

Shoulder felt ok thankfully... and they're not JUST for the little fellas, but you small chaps have it easier :pac:

I'm just throwing this out there, but do you maintain active shoulders at full extension, i.e. do ya pull your shoulders into their sockets? I used to get some bad shoulder juju from pullups before I started doing this...

Dead Ed wrote: »
    I'm just throwing this out there, but do you maintain active shoulders at full extension, i.e. do ya pull your shoulders into their sockets? I used to get some bad shoulder juju from pullups before I started doing this...

That's probably true actually... any tips??

• Advertisement

Surfing, stoked... ya big fecking yank ye!

Well done on the exams, had a couple of friends miss out on one or two of them, audit surprisingly was the most common one people I know failed. Enjoy the FAE's next year whilst I enjoy an exam free first year:D

More OT - What's arching your back during hypers do for you? Carry over on to the bench?

Lolz less of that!!

Cheers... there were a huge amount of failures. The individual subject pass rate was decent enough, but for all 4 combined it was only 52%!!!

Arching from my mid back hit my erectors more which won't really DO anything, but should make them a little bit stronger/bigger (like the smallest of small amounts). Did them in lieu of good mornings because I didn't wanna force my shoulder behind a bar.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

That's probably true actually... any tips??

Nothing crazy, it's just that when you're hanging from the bar, the force is acting upwards on the joints and trying to wrench your shoulders out. If you pull them back down they will be held in by the muscular contraction. Just think of pulling the ball into the socket. I'm probably explaining this terribly, but it's essentially the opposite of a shrug and pretty useful if you're doing any sort of ballistic stuff (kipping and whatnot)

Conditioning...

Tree Hill:
    5 up and downs x2

Run:
    1.3km at an easy pace

First conditioning session in 2 weeks. It's amazing how quickly drops off. Gonna push hard and hopefully get it back up ASAP!!

5/3/1 - Wave 4 - "3" Day

Bench:
    60kg 2x5
    82.5kg x3
    102.5kg x3
    117.5kg x3
    132.5kg x0
    132.5kg x3
    105kg x9, x6 - and shoulder said no more!

Dips:
    bodyweight x20

Pull Ups:
    bodyweight 2x12

And I had to pull a bunsen and get outta there. Thoughts etc later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

last wave correct?

last wave correct?

Yup, sin é!!

Although I’m considering one more cycle cos it’ll have me hitting true PR weights then…. The weights for the 5th cycle, if I do it (bracketed ones are my PR at 110kg);

Deadlift:
    1 day – 230kg (PR’s 232.5 x5 with like 15 to 20 seconds + between reps)

Bench:
    1 day – 142.5kg (PR’s 140 x4)

Squat:
    1 day – 205kg (PR’s 200 x5)

Press:
    Who knows, who cares!!

I’ll see how I feel!!

Anyway, my weight’s on the way back down… was 102kg this morning, and my callipers were trying to edge past 16mm. No idea about measurements cos I didn’t have my tape on me, but I’ll check on Sunday or Monday morning. Should be below the 100 mark some time in the first week of September.

I wanna try a few different CF workouts over the next few weeks in addition to my normal conditioning stuff just to mix things up a bit. I’m gunning for a squat PR tomorrow (190kg x7 gives it to me) so I’m taking it easy doing a “half-Barbara” tonight – 10 pull ups, 15 push ups, 20 sit ups and 25 squats for 5 rounds with 3 mins between rounds. If I come in under 25-30 minutes I reckon I’ll be happy enough.

Gonna try Murph out on Saturday fortnight too I think – 1 mile run, 100 pull ups, 200 push ups, 300 squats, 1 mile run. Chances of me doing it in under an hour…? Slim Chances of me getting sick…? High.

Not gonna retest Fran until the end of September or the first week or two of October because my conditioning disappeared cos of my holidays, and with the bench comp coming up on September 20th I’ll be taking an easy enough 7-10 days before it.

Dead Ed wrote: »
    Nothing crazy, it's just that when you're hanging from the bar, the force is acting upwards on the joints and trying to wrench your shoulders out. If you pull them back down they will be held in by the muscular contraction. Just think of pulling the ball into the socket. I'm probably explaining this terribly, but it's essentially the opposite of a shrug and pretty useful if you're doing any sort of ballistic stuff (kipping and whatnot)

Tried this - it works. Thanks, ya big ledge!!

Conditioning - Babs (half Barbara!!)

10 pull ups, 15 push ups, 20 sit ups, 25 squats - 5 rounds for time, 1min 30 seconds between rounds

Did it in 8.24 not including breaks. 25 mins later and I still don't feel right.

Can't even imagine the hell that full Barbara is - 20 pull ups, 30 push ups, 40 sit ups, 50 squats - 5 rounds, 3 mins between rounds.

5/3/1 - Wave 4 - "3" Day

Squats:
    60kg 2x5
    100kg x3
    130kg x3
    150kg x3
    170kg x3
    *belt*
    190kg x5

170kg 2x5, 1x8

Box Squats w/ green band (beltless):
    60kg x3
    80kg x3
    100kg 3x3

Pulldown Abs:
    plate 4 x10
    plate 7 x8
    plate 10 x8
    plate 11 x8
    plate 12 x8
    plate 10 x12

Seated Leg Curls:
    stack 3x15

Dumbbell Preacher Curls:
    20kg 'bells x17-10-5rp

No squat PR today.. Buuuuut I did find another one!! I'm on the last hole of my belt!! At my heaviest I was 4 or 5 holes away from the last one!! I'm down around 101.5kg now and my calipers are pushing onto 15mm at my suprailliac skin fold, so the weight loss is going very well.

The squats were decent enough, I was way too slow on the descent with the 190kg and suffered for it. Got down faster with the sets w/ 170kg and flew outta them. I'll make sure to get down faster next time now!

The banded squats are HORRIBLE. I've no idea what the resistance is, but the 100kg 3x3 wasn't easy at all. Hell it was tough even getting them onto the bar. Can deffo see em doing good things for my equipped squat tho.

Pulldown abs are up on last time which is always nice!

I really like the seated leg curl machine now. Can totally feel it hitting your entire leg.

The rest between the curls was the time it took to do my other set on my other arm so they decreased as they went down...

Decent enough workout, vids coming later hopefully.

• Advertisement

Far from a convincing workout today;

190kg x5

170kg x8

100kg x3 against green bands

Advertisement