Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Miseducation of Jimbo Slice

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Good one. Did you try playing it after you embedded it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Ah Shit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

On the topic of snatches though, is there anything you can suggest that will help move them up hanley? I can do a snatch grip dead easily but I'd probably only get my max military press overhead, are the two always connected or is there something I can do to increase the snatch while waiting for my press to increase?

On the topic of snatches though, is there anything you can suggest that will help move them up hanley? I can do a snatch grip dead easily but I'd probably only get my max military press overhead, are the two always connected or is there something I can do to increase the snatch while waiting for my press to increase?

Jesus I don't know!!!

I'm gonna say better form = bigger weights (more so than anything else). I know a few oly lifters who'd I'd be as "strong" as on squats, deadlifts and maybe presses, but they completely spank me when it comes to the classic lifts.

I probably snatch in or around my military press max too actually, but there really shouldn't be any direct correlation afaik. A low press shouldn't limit your snatching potential in other words.

RE: snatch grip deads, from what I know, you need to do them like you would if you were doing an actual snatch to see max benefits in the snatch. That is, push the floor away, back angle remains the same til the bar gets to your knees and then you start to extend (so none of your hips shooting first and shoulders following). Ya probably will never snatch what ya can snatch grip DL, so you should be able to keep good positions coming off the floor when snatching cos the weight will be "light" enough.

Anyway, take that for what it's worth. My snatch technique's pretty crap, and I've no idea how to move the actual lift up other than snatching more often and trying to do it better!

Im hijacking this reply!!

DISCLAIMER: This is purely directed at fat people that horse OLY bars over their heads, i have no confidence in my ability to ever do an OLY lift properly!!

I found when Snatching that the because my technique is doge that my biggest limitation at the start was fear!! Drop Snatches and OH Squats get you over the fear factor of having a big dirty bar traveling at ferocious speed under little control.

What i hate seeing from people who cant Oly Lift (i.e ME!!) is people concentrating on actively getting their feet off the ground!! they're kinda dooing a little hop knee tuck as opposed to explosively extending onto their toes, if your feet leave the floor they leave the floor don't make them do it, if you know what i mean!!

ONce you've scooped the bar into the power positioni, and your shoulders are well over it then imagine trying to make sexy time as explosively as possible with a bird thats a foot taller than you while ye're both standing up!!:rolleyes: this a powerful shrug let the bar travel then drop under!!

I think Snatch High Pulls as opposed to Snatch Pulls are a brilliant lift regardless of wether you care about your snatch

That makes no sense!! Its basically a vert leap + bar!!

Hanleys power-snatch technique it must be noted are a result of being ridiculously strong!

• Advertisement

Im hijacking this reply!!

DISCLAIMER: This is purely directed at fat people that horse OLY bars over their heads, i have no confidence in my ability to ever do an OLY lift properly!!

I found when Snatching that the because my technique is doge that my biggest limitation at the start was fear!! Drop Snatches and OH Squats get you over the fear factor of having a big dirty bar traveling at ferocious speed under little control.

What i hate seeing from people who cant Oly Lift (i.e ME!!) is people concentrating on actively getting their feet off the ground!! they're kinda dooing a little hop knee tuck as opposed to explosively extending onto their toes, if your feet leave the floor they leave the floor don't make them do it, if you know what i mean!!

ONce you've scooped the bar into the power positioni, and your shoulders are well over it then imagine trying to make sexy time as explosively as possible with a bird thats a foot taller than you while ye're both standing up!!:rolleyes: this a powerful shrug let the bar travel then drop under!!

I think Snatch High Pulls as opposed to Snatch Pulls are a brilliant lift regardless of wether you care about your snatch

That makes no sense!! Its basically a vert leap + bar!!

Hanleys power-snatch technique it must be noted are a result of being ridiculously strong!

You don't really want to hump the bar afaik cos that kicks it forward and wrecks the bar path. The hips come in alright, but as they come in they also go up, if that makes sense? My understanding of it anyway.

And my god one thing that annoys me is people jumping and stamping when they're doing their olympic lifts. It's like we get it... you're catching hang time, you're "powerful" and you're stamping your feet so everyone will look and realise!!

Thanks lads, I'm thinking of including some cleans/snatches the month after next, snatches mainly cause I think they're badass. I'd just like to move some semi decent weight. Will think about everything ye said and maybe give them a go next week since its deload time, I can afford to mess around a bit. Thanks.

Thanks lads, I'm thinking of including some cleans/snatches the month after next, snatches mainly cause I think they're badass. I'd just like to move some semi decent weight. Will think about everything ye said and maybe give them a go next week since its deload time, I can afford to mess around a bit. Thanks.

Snatches are just frickin fun!! I wanna be able to jump high, and I figure getting my snatch up is a good way of achieving that. Power and all that junk!!

I've been doing them as part of my warm up and my main workout really hasn't suffered. Have a look at my last 2 weeks of 5.3.1 training... If anything I feel better coming into the main exercise having done 1 or 2 lightish things before it!

Hanley wrote: »
    Snatches are just frickin fun!! I wanna be able to jump high, and I figure getting my snatch up is a good way of achieving that. Power and all that junk!!

I've been doing them as part of my warm up and my main workout really hasn't suffered. Have a look at my last 2 weeks of 5.3.1 training... If anything I feel better coming into the main exercise having done 1 or 2 lightish things before it!

AHAHAA but i dint say hump the bar!! forget about the bar for a minute, what i described is an upwards thrust where you'd have to drive thru the hips to get proper penetration!!

AHAHAA but i dint say hump the bar!! forget about the bar for a minute, what i described is an upwards thrust where you'd have to drive thru the hips to get proper penetration!!

That's actually a pretty good analogy!! Gues every dog DOES have it's day!!

• Advertisement

Yeah I saw that, its probably a good idea to add some warm up work like that, since I do fairly little it can be the last big set before I feel really ready to roll. I can get away with that on the presses but do some extra sets on deads and squats before the work stuff. An extra lift before any of that would be a much better idea though.

Still deloading.....

Diesel Crew Shoulder Warm Ups:
    5kg 'bells - 3 reps

Power Snatch:
    30kg x3
    40kg x2
    50kg x2
    60kg 5x2

Face Pulls:
    2x15

Crossfit - Fran:
    21 thrusters w/ 45kg + 21 pull ups
    15 " " + 15 pull ups
    9 " " + 9 pull ups
    Time: 8 mins 32 seconds - BIG PR (previous 12.02)

Not much doing today really... went in, practiced some snatches from the floor, they were alright, not great, not crap, just alright!!

I said I'd try Fran when I was under 105kg, broke tha barrier on Wednesday so gave it a lash today. It's about 5 weeks since I last did it, I came in with a time of 12.02 then. I was about 109kg then, and hadn't done any cardio in about 2-3 years really!! I've been doing some runs, sprints and skipping today and it really showed on my time. A 30% improvement isn't too shabby, and I have to say I'm pretty happy with it!!

Got thru all the thrusters in the first round in one go, then 5+5+5+6 on the pull ups, 8+7 on the second round of thrusters, 4+4+3+2+1 on the pull ups, and finished it off with all 9 in a row on the thrusters, 3+2+2+2 on the pull ups! I think if I planned it better I woulda broken the 8 minute barrier today. And if I learned to kip I'd hopefully see another substantial drop in time. For now I'm happy with that. I'll give it another lash on my next deload in about 6 weeks time when I should be close to 100kg and hopefully I'll get nearer 7 minutes then!

Time's probably still not that great by CF standards, but considering I've done fcuk all cardio training, I'm happy!!

Hill sprints - Shallow Hill

300m warm up jog

20 up and downs

300m run

Time: 16 mins 48 seconds

The shallow hill's about 24m long by my calcs. Actual length doesn't really matter cos it is the same hill I'm running up and down after all!!

Last time I was on that hill 2 weeks ago I did 400m either way with 12 sprints in the middle. Total time was 15.43 so +8 sprints, -200m and +1mins 5seconds today so happy enough with that.

Almost feels like I'm not going enough now. Might try to get back down the hill a bit quicker in future!!

104.8kg this morning after a day of salt and chocolate yesterday so reasonably happy that I'm on target to get under 100kg by my birthday!!

Still deloading....

Squat (beltless):
    60kg x5
    100kg x5
    120kg x5
    142.5kg x10

Bench:
    60kg x5
    80kg x5
    102.5kg x10

Deadlift (beltless):
    60kg x5
    100kg x5
    140kg x5
    182.5kg x5

Super light, super easy deload workout today. I should be back training hard from Monday onwards, but I've exams Tuesday til Friday so I won't really have time.

Everything was nice and handy today. Squatted in my asics, bit squidgy but they do the job. My IT bands felt a little tight today. Probably due to the running and lack of squatting. I'll make an effort to stretch and role them over the next week so I come back to squatting in top form!

Some ghey cardio with Kev today...

Hill runs - this bad boy; http://image38.webshots.com/38/8/3/19/2070803190087201223fXHtra_ph.jpg

20 up and downs

The Papal Fran (yes, I did):
    21/15/9
    Burpees and air squats
    Time: 5 mins 46 seconds

Nice outdoor-in-the-sun workout today. The hill sprints were ok. They were done on the basis that Kev would run up and walk down, then I'd go up, walk down, Kev would go etc etc... In retrospect the rest periods may have been a little long...

The Papal Fran (it might be an actual Crossfit workout but that's what I'M calling it) was brutal. One of the things I'm beginning to like about CF style workouts is that they let you maintain a relatively high intensity for sustained periods of time (I know 6 mins isn't that long, but it's more than I could run for at that intensity level).

Audit went well today... Strategic Finance and Management Accounting tomorrow, keep your fingers and toes crossed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Was it not 25? Didn't we get to 20 and say we were good for 5 more? Maybe I was hallucinating from the pain. You were dressed as the genie from Alladin right?

You're right, it was 25... I remembered after I posted it and forgot to change it!!

Before I say anything I'm qualifying it... Just finished my CAP 2 chartered accounting exams today. They're each 3.5 hours long, and you're working for the entire time. And could probably do with at least another half an hour minimum on them all to lay them out well.

Anyway they've been at 9.30am Tues - Fri, and I've pretty much been coming home, napping for an hour, eating and studying. As a result I've done fcuk all training for the last 2 weeks.

I've averaged about 4 hours sleep a night for the last week, and got less than 3 last night. Needless to say I'm enormously drained at this stage. I won't be in a fit state to train til at least Sunday at least by the time I'm finished celebrating, so I figured I had to get SOMETHING done today.

So now that my excuses are made;

5/3/1 - Wave 3 - "5" Day

Diesel Crew Shoulder Warm Up:
    5kg 'bells - 3 reps

Pull Ups:
    bodyweight 2x9

Deadlifts:
    70kg x5
    100kg x5
    140kg x3
    162.kg x5
    182.5kg x5
    *belt*
    202.5kg x6 - Vooooooooooom

Absolutely disgusting attempt at deadlifting today. I'm expecting this wave to be really tough, but I'll put the head down and keep on pushing.

Congrats on finishing the exams, sounds like you deserve to increase carb intake for a day or two. ;)

Congrats on finishing the exams, sounds like you deserve to increase carb intake for a day or two. ;)

Thunder Road Cafe tonight, BBQ tomorrow, and lots of liquid carbs, and some limes - cos ya need the fruit to stay healthy. Gonna be epic!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

good job on getting the exams finished, wouldnt worry about the deads at all, at least you got them done

5/3/1 - Wave 3 - "5" Day

Bench:
    60kg x5
    80kg x5
    100kg x5
    110kg x5
    117.5kg x5
    125kg x4 - grrrrrrrrrrr

Lucy Press:
    87.5kg 3x10 - wtf??

Pull ups:
    bodyweight 2x11, 1x10

Pulldown Abs:
    plates 5, 7, 9 x10
    plate 11 2x10

Today was never gonna be good... i've been out on pretty heavy nights on Friday and Saturday, and had only finished up about 8 hours before going into the gym this morning.

The lucy presses were actually good, and my pull ups werent bad considering they were done on box section steal (off a monolift) and not on a normal bar.

I'm actually making excuses left right and centre, but whatever. I'm keeping the progression as planned nad hoping once I've settled back into my normal routine again I'll be fine!

5/3/1 - Wave 3 - "5" Day

5kg 'bells - 3 reps

Pull Ups:
    bodyweight 2x9

Squats:
    60kg x5
    100kg x5
    135kg x5
    155kg x5
    *belt*
    175kg x8
    *belt off*
    140kg x15
    130kg x15

Step Ups:
    30kg barbell 2x8

1 Leg RDL's:
    20kg bar 2x10

Lying Leg Curls:
    Stack minus 2 plates 2x12

*super setted with*

Machine Preacher Curls:
    Stack minus 2 plates 2x12

Pulldown Abs:
    Stack +15kg plate 2x12, 1x9

All things considered, I'm pretty happy with that. The heat was an absolute killer today. Seriously. I've NEVER sweated as much in the gym. My t-shirt couldn't have been wetter if it just came out of the washing machine. Apologies to anyone who was near me!

The squats were grand.... thought it was gonna be another impossible day but I struggled thru fairly well. My perfect day plan was always gonna be 175 x8, below PR levels, but realistic and still and big push on the day. Was a bit worried coming thru the warm ups but I gritted my teeth and powered thru.

I've never tried really high rep squats without a belt before so I figured I may as well give it a lash today. Had 20 in the back of my head (ie Kev) but I knew it wasn't realistic. My abs were cramping up by rep 12, and by rep 15 I just couldn;t keep my chest up anymore so I aborted. Obviously I'll be gunning for 20 next time, and then onto max reps the week after. Think it's just a matter of pain tolerance too. The 130x15 was equally horrible cos I was already shagged.

Step ups were nasty... don't like single leg work. Same story with the 1 leg RDL's tbh. Never done something that makes your whole leg feel as sh!t....

Been having a big of pain in the hammies with all the running and stuff I've been doing, and thought about it and realised I hadn't trained anything knee flexion related in about 5-6 months, it's all been hip dominant so I added some back in today and could really feel my hams working hard.

Abs are coming back. It's amazing how they're the things that are going now when I'm squatting, so obvs I need to push a bit harder there. Gonna run with Kev tomorrow, and get ripped to fcuking shreds over the next few weeks (well, maybe not to shreds, but less fat!!)

Kev's Stations of The Cross

First set: 25 up and downs

*break*

Second set: 20 up and downs

Killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

sexy heat for a run eh?

what were you wearing
    :P

bwahaha :P i set my sights a little higher ill have you know,, hanleys a lil short :D

sexy heat for a run eh?

Nowhere near as bad as yesterday tbh... THAT was awful.

5/3/1 - Wave 3 - "5" Day

5kg 'bells - 3 reps

Barbell Curls:
    20kg x8
    40kg x8
    50kg 2x8

Military Press:
    40kg x5
    50kg x5
    57.5kg x5
    65kg x8

Standing One Arm Dumbbell Press:
    25kg 'bell 2x10, 2x8

Close Grip Bench:
    60kg x8
    75kg x8
    90kg 3x8

Chins:
    bodyweight +10kg 3x8

Pure Navy Seals session today... get in, get the job done, don't fcuk about and get out.

Happy with my pressing. It's 2.5kg up and a rep extra from the last wave. Almost got a 9th too but couldnt get past the sticking point.

Still LOVING the one arm press. Just such a bad ass exercise. Can really feel it working too which is nice...

CG bench was decent... I'll do 4 sets next week.

Same story with the chins. I've developed a weird arc-y pulling motion... dunno what the story is there tbh!!

Gun show at the start cos I've FINALLY decided to actually train my arms. Gonna have something bicep orientated at the start of every session from now until I'm happy with em!

• Advertisement

are u training your arm to help with powerlifting or for aesthetic purposes?

Advertisement