Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Miseducation of Jimbo Slice

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Hanley wrote: »
    6-8 sounds rough as hell... what sorta rest periods did you guys take? Just as needed...?

A minute or a minute and a half. Rough as hell doesn't begin to cover it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Parsley wrote: »
    A minute or a minute and a half. Rough as hell doesn't begin to cover it!

OMFG. No, I would imagine it does. I was taking like 5+, if not more. Jesus that's insane. Fair play!!!

Shirted Bench Day

Bench:
    60kg x5
    80kg x3
    100kg x2
    120kg x1
    140kg x1
    *shirt on - 44 Katana*
    160kg x2
    180kg 5x2
    170kg 5x2

2 Board Press w/ doubled mini bands:
    60kg x5
    80kg x3
    100kg 9x3, 1x5

Probably doesn't look like a whole lot, but I spend about 90 minutes on the bench today. Absolutely shagged now and my hands are red raw.

First day back in my shirt, and man it's loose. Touched 170kg today like... was taking 200kg when I was at my heaviest a few months back. That's just ridiculous. Buuuut it means I should be able to open on normal weights in the future!!

Groove really started to come back towards the end of the benches and the bar started to move really well. Was a bit nervous coming into it cos I knew I'd a hard day on Friday with the bench but things seemed alright today.

Gonna gradually bump up the weight on the board presses and just keep the volume really high. Hoping that'll allow my top end strength to come back a bit quicker with comprimising recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

is that 5 sets of 2 reps or the other way around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

looks like a nice session, you must be happy with the sets of 180. Is the shirted bench something you're going to include alongside the 4 a week 5/3/1? (or are you 3 days?)

• Advertisement

is that 5 sets of 2 reps or the other way around?

5 sets of 2 reps. That's how I always refer to my sets and reps!
    looks like a nice session, you must be happy with the sets of 180. Is the shirted bench something you're going to include alongside the 4 a week 5/3/1? (or are you 3 days?)

I've doubled 200kg so like it's not quite PR levels by any stretch, but volume wise it's decent.

I'm training 5/3/1 Mon, Wed and Fri, doing conditioning on Tue and Thur and Benching on Sunday mornings going forward. It's a fair bit of volume, but I've gradually increased it so hopefully I'll manage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Its a full weeks training alright but you did mention the relative lack of benching being a problem. I was going to suggest you bench as assistance on military day but the above looks like a far better system!

Its a full weeks training alright but you did mention the relative lack of benching being a problem. I was going to suggest you bench as assistance on military day but the above looks like a far better system!

Aye it's not a bad idea. I've added in board presses on my military day for some extra top end work anyway. The additional sets of benches after the 5/3/1 bench day seem to work well, and now the shirted work too will hopefully bring the volume up to an acceptable level!

5/3/1 - Wave 3 - "5/3/1" Day

Squats:
    60kg 2x5
    100kg x3
    130kg x2
    155kg x5
    175kg x3
    *belt*
    195kg x3
    *wraps*
    220kg x1
    240kg x0

*wraps off*

160kg 3x5

Hack Squats:
    90kg of plates 3x8

Pulldown Abs:
    stack +20kg 3x10

Lying Leg Curls:
    stack minus a plate 2x12

*supersetted with*

Machine Preacher Curls:
    stack minus 2 plates 3x12

Not quite as ass kicking as I'd like... but there were mitigating factors that I'm using as my excuse;

1) 4 hours sleep last night
    2) work from 7.30am to 5.30pm with half an hour for lunch
    3) trained 7 days out of the last 8

So yeah, I'm a pussy basically!!

The squats felt ok really... not spectacular. I caved forwards in a bad way on the 240kg... if my abs had of held I'd have got it. 220kg came pretty easy like so I figured I'd go for an all time wrapped PR but it was not to be!! Happy enough considering the shocker of a day I've had and the fact I haven't really had any serious weight on my back in some time.

My glutes are a bit of an issue I feel, so I've added in some deep as fcuk hack squats to see if it helps.

Ab strength's coming around... I'll push for more weight next time.

Losing weight makes gaining strength so depressingly hard, but I'll keep pushing as always!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Holy shit spiderman 67,000 views!! When did that happen.

Glad to see you back in a shirt :p i thought you were going to be annoying a compete RAW at some stupid weight and make us look like even bigger weaklings!!

• Advertisement

Holy shit spiderman 67,000 views!! When did that happen.

Glad to see you back in a shirt :p i thought you were going to be annoying a compete RAW at some stupid weight and make us look like even bigger weaklings!!

Haha I'm popular. Think I've 2x the views of anyone else at this stage too.

No intention to compete raw to be honest, but just working on raw strength for now.

To be honest if I can hit the following before September's out at 100kg I'll be happy;
    Squat - 200kg x5
    Bench - 140kg x5
    Deadlift - 230kg x5

They squat would tie my PR, the bench would be +1 rep, and the deadlift would pretty much tie my PR too. Might seem like a waste of 4-5 months training only to get back to where I was when I started, but if I can get to 100kg and do it then I'll be very happy. Leaves lots of scope to get stronger for next years nationals too... and possibly for my triumphant return to the 110's!!!

yay i'd much prefer a 110kg shirted Hanley vrs a 90kg raw L!!

Is next year your last year as a junior???

yay i'd much prefer a 110kg shirted Hanley vrs a 90kg raw L!!

Is next year your last year as a junior???

I much prefer it too :p

It is indeed.... Hopefully get next years nationals in, and try get away for the Euro's too. Have until like 24/7/2010 anyway like!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

great benching, thats a lot of volume

what way did you approach the 5/3/1 workset before you went for those singles on squats?
    thinking about going for a new 1rm next week, not sure what way to do it

podge57 wrote: »
    great benching, thats a lot of volume

what way did you approach the 5/3/1 workset before you went for those singles on squats?
    thinking about going for a new 1rm next week, not sure what way to do it

Didn't go all out on the top set, did 6 last time with 190kg, probably coulda fought out 5 w/ 195kg yesterday like.

Hanley wrote:
    29/4/09

2km in 13 minutes 22 seconds
    14/6/09
    Last time I did my 2km run it was in the above time...

Well today I did it in....

12 minutes 20 seconds!!!!

A 62 second PR without doing anything other than hill sprints and skipping. Pretty damn happy with that!!

Best part is, my lungs were good for way more. My calves and lower back cramping up is the only reason I didn't go faster. I had enough energy to jog comfortably the whole time and still be able to pick it up with a little kick every now and again. I reckon the sub 12 mins 2km is on soon... Happy days.

Might take a crack at a sub 5 min 1km during the week too.

Today, I did it in;

11 mins 25 seconds!!!

Sweet ass 55 second PR having not done a 2km since the aforementioned one!!

Pretty damn happy with that... and the best part is... NO SHIN PAIN :)

Congrats on the pr, didn't even know you where doing 2k runs! Thats my preferred distance at the moment. I figure when do ya need to run more than 2k :P

Congrats on the pr, didn't even know you where doing 2k runs! Thats my preferred distance at the moment. I figure when do ya need to run more than 2k :P

I'm not really... last one I ran was 14/6/09. I like to just use them as a test to see if my general conditioning's coming up. Thus far, it is. At a rate of approx. 30 seconds per km every 5-6 weeks!!

Testing Fran on Friday. THAT will suck.

bring a camera!

5/3/1 - Wave 3 - "5/3/1" Day

Barbell Curls:
    20kg - 40kg x5
    50kg 2x15

Military Press:
    30kg x5
    45kg x5
    60kg x5
    67.5kg x3
    75kg x4 - I know, I suck

Standing One Arm Dumbbell Press:
    27.5kg 'bells 4x10

3 Board Press:
    60kg x5
    80kg x3
    100kg x3
    *add in 3 board*
    120kg x3
    135kg 5x5

Pendlay Row:
    60kg x5
    85kg x5
    105kg 5x6

Chins:
    bodyweight +15kg x10, 6, 6

Weighted Decline Sit Ups:
    10kg plate on forehead 5x12

*supersetted with*

Face Pulls:
    plate 75 5x12

End of wave 3!!

Curls were ok... first set was strict-ish. Second half of set two was sloppy.

And i know, I suck, my shoulders are ghey and my pressing strength is on par with that of a child. But I don't care, cos strong shoulders don't matter. (that's what I'm telling myself!!!)

The one arm presses continue to go up. Pretty cool!!!

Board presses are coming back to, like Kev said, "it's neural" hahahaha!! +5kg again next week on 'em.

Pendlay rows remain strong, scope for more weight there too.

Decently happy with the chins too.

Ab + upper back superset = no fun. Still, volume and all that!!

• Advertisement

Quick question for ya hanley. You know the way in a shirt, you require a certain amount of weight to make the bar touch your chest. Is this the same for squats? Like could you do a bodyweight squat or a 40kg squat in a really tight suit?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Naos

And i know, I suck, my shoulders are ghey and my pressing strength is on par with that of a child. But I don't care, cos strong shoulders don't matter. (that's what I'm telling myself!!!)

I hope this emoticon will emphasise my disappointment - :(

Apart from that nice work :P

Quick question for ya hanley. You know the way in a shirt, you require a certain amount of weight to make the bar touch your chest. Is this the same for squats? Like could you do a bodyweight squat or a 40kg squat in a really tight suit?

God no!!! Depends on the tightness of the suit, tightness of knee wraps, whether the straps are up or down, and whether you can handle the weight or not!!!

i see :P, i always wondered if the lifter could sit down properly between lifts, and it would be with tight ass wraps and straps up :P

btw what are you saying god no to? the "is it the same for squats" or the "could you do a bodyweight squat" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

ohhaiitrur128475082277812500.jpg

old and fat.....boooooo :P

birthday!!!!!, wooo, have a cake, big one, then do a crossfit workout.

birthday!!!!!, wooo, have a cake, big one, then do a crossfit workout.

Check and check!!

Bithday Fran:
    21/15/9 thrusters w/45kg and pull ups
    Time: 6 minutes dead

Oh yes I fcuking did!!!! STOKED with that. It's not often that I truly surprise myself, but today I did. I finally think I've gotten a respectable time (as in one that seperates me from normal gym goers, but is still no CF standard). So anyway... rock on!!

The progression;

3/5/09: 12 minutes 2 seconds
    19/6/09: 8 minutes 32 seconds
    24/7/09: 6 minutes dead

Cut my time in half in less than 12 weeks having only done the real Fran 3x in that time.

Not specific training FTW!!!

. It's not often that I truly surprise myself, but today I did.

OOH the modesty!!!

Happy Birthday Big Man. Serious Lifting.

Have a biscuit on me!!!:p:p:D

gingernut.jpg

• Advertisement

that biscuit looks like a nasty gingernut one.

Advertisement