Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Miseducation of Jimbo Slice

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Thanks chaps!!!

Hit the hills today in my local park...

Tree Hill:
    400m run
    7 sprints up, jog down x3
    500m run

That was a SERIOUSLY tough session. Essentially doing 40% more work per set over the 5's I had been doing, and doing an equal to slightly greater amount of total work with 25% less sets. The hill I was on tonight is comparable to the popes cross.

Pretty much fcuked now.

Shirted Bench Day

Bench:
    60kg x5
    80kg x3
    100kg x3
    115kg x1
    135kg x1
    *shirt on - 44 Katana*
    165kg x2
    185kg 4x2
    175kg 4x2

2 Board Press w/ doubled mini bands:
    60kg x5
    85kg x3
    105kg 10x3

Pushdowns:
    2x30

Doesn't look like much, but the volume of that workout is an absolute killer. It's a complete energy drain... each set just takes a bit more out of you. Again, I was rocking off about 5 hours sleep after being out last night (which is officially stopping because it's so not worth it, even tho I woke up with no hangover thanks to 6l of water between about 12.30am and waking up time!).

First two sets with 185 were a little away from touching, decided to push for the touch on my 3rd set (which I haven't counted as a set about) and went too low, tried to throw the bar back and it came towards me face - spotters in to save the day. Got up out of it and went fcuking nuts. I'm just SICK of missing benches like that.

Tweaked my set up for the the next set, dragged my legs back a bit further to get me higher on my ass, rotate my hips and push my belly up. Bout a cm away on the first, got the second even tho I touched low and had to have a seriously shoulder roll to get in position for lockout. 4th set was the best, touched nicely on both, and pressed solidly.

The 175's were grand, pulled my collar up high, tucked and touch probably 60% of em. I'm starting to get happier in my shirt now. It's a lot easier to control now that I'm lighter.

REALLY like the high volume board presses. Nice quantity of work, but not enough that I can't recover from. Gonna have to get in my shirt again next Sunday for 190kg 4x2 and 180kg 4x2, and then might take a couple of moderate singles on Thursday to see where I'm at.

Home conditioning;

20 burpees, 20 push ups, 20 air squats x 5 rounds, for time

Time taken: 19 minutes 31.5 seconds

This was HELL. The most evil fcuking conditioning workout I've done. There's just no breaks, it never gets easy at any point. If anyone wants to really hurt themselves, do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Hanley wrote: »
    Home conditioning;

This was HELL. The most evil fcuking conditioning workout I've done. There's just no breaks, it never gets easy at any point. If anyone wants to really hurt themselves, do this.

Can you scale it down for pussies like me?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Home conditioning;

Think I'll give this a shot on Wednesday.

• Advertisement

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Can you scale it down for pussies like me?:D

Scaling's easy...

-do 3 rounds
    -do 10's instead of 20's
    -do 15's instead of 20's

Scaling it UP would be fun. I wanna do it with 10 rounds before the summer's out. Could take damn near an hour!!

accensi0n wrote: »
    Think I'll give this a shot on Wednesday.

Lemme know what time ya get!!!

I dunno how soon I'll be ready to try it again to be honest, now that I know how much it sucks!!

Note to self: I don't really wanna do the 3x 500m row workout either again any time soon... Might do it tonight at the end of my workout tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

I dunno how soon I'll be ready to try it again to be honest, now that I know how much it sucks!!

Note to self: I don't really wanna do the 3x 500m row workout either again any time soon... Might do it tonight at the end of my workout tho.

You know you want to though, really...

Parsley wrote: »
    You know you want to though, really...

I've come up with a MUCH better idea....

21/15/9 squats w/100kg and pull ups!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

I've come up with a MUCH better idea....

21/15/9 squats w/100kg and pull ups!!

:eek: suit yourself, crazy mofo! Gimme the erg anyday... probably cos it'd take me an hour to squat 21 reps of 100kg :p

• Advertisement

Parsley wrote: »
    :eek: suit yourself, crazy mofo! Gimme the erg anyday... probably cos it'd take me an hour to squat 21 reps of 100kg :p

It's probably not one of my better ideas to be honest... I'm on a mini-deload tho so recovery and sh!t won't be a problem!!

Back pulling heavy on Wednesday.. should be fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Pfft, sounds easy Hanley. Now if you tied the hundred k to yourself after the squats to do the pull ups, that would be impressive..... :P

More Conditioning-ish;

Hanging Leg Raises:
    bodyweight x8
    5kg plate around ankles x5, 4, 4, 3

EZ Bar Curls (all sets plus bar weight):
    20kg x5
    30kg x5
    50kg x5
    60kg x5

Fran-tic (mwuh hahaha);
    21/15/9 squats w/100kg and pull ups
    Time: 7 mins 51 seconds

Pulldown Abs:
    stack x20-16-11rp

Incline Dumbbell Curls:
    12.5kg 'bells 3x12

Still on my mini-deload so decided to just get some volume and a bit of conditioning today.

The weighted hanging leg raises are truly awful. The weight just feels so much heavier than it actually is when it's lashed to your ankles!

Didnt like the EZ curls. They hurt my forearms :(

The conditioning block was awful... felt like I was dying all the way thru :s

Pulldown abs restpaused = worse than death. My abs were basically crying by the end of it.

Liking the incline curls lying on the bench. Really seems to isolate the bi's and put at great pull down towards the elbow.
    Real training resumes Wednesday. More ghey conditioning tomorrow.

Being a fish...

1 mile swim in 60/61 minutes!!

That's 1 mile, or 1,600m, or 64 lengths. Fun times... I swear!!

Kev pulled me along most of it. And then did an extra 250m for good measure. Bar stewart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭accensi0n

I only got through 2 rounds and it took me 10:30.

accensi0n wrote: »
    I only got through 2 rounds and it took me 10:30.

Least ya made it thru some of it. Pretty rough eh?

Think I'm gonna tackle Cindy tonight... think 20 mins is how it's rx'd, might just do it for 10 cos it'll be after a heavy DL workout.

5/3/1 - Wave 4 - "5" Day

Deadlift:
    60kg x5
    100kg x3
    130kg x3
    155kg x5
    185kg x5
    *belt*
    205kg x7 (and a half)

Speed Pulls:
    150kg 8x2

SLDL off a plate:
    120kg 3x10

Good Mornings:
    80kg 3x15

Pulldown Abs:
    stack +25kg x12, 10, 6

Seated Dumbbell Curls:
    20kg 'bells x15-11-9rp

"Cindy" - 5 pull ups, 10 push ups, 15 squats
    10 rounds - 10 mins 38 seconds

Bit disappointed with the pulling, it was half a rep short of what I wanted. All things considered tho, it's alright. I've had a pretty immense workload in the gym over the past couple of weeks, but weight's coming down and strength's showing small signs of improvement, which I'll take right now.

The speed of my reps is getting a lot better, the first rep anyway. But that's the important one!!

SLDL's were handy this week, same w/ GM's. I'll go to 4 sets and 82.5kg respectively on em next time.

Getting back towards PR levels on the pulldown abs which is cool!!! Got a hand off Kev M to set up today, saved a bit of energy and could push harded as a result. As it stands, that tells me my core's strong enough to support a squat in excess of 310kg, which at this stage in a training cycle is quality.

Curls were curls....

Cindy's evil, well it's not too bad, but the worst part is there's literally no reason not to keep going. Like the resistance is light enough for it not to be about strength. Disappointed I didn't get 10 rounds in 10 mins, but it was at the end of a workout, so next time!!

5/3/1 - Wave 4 - "5" Day

Bench:
    60kg x5
    80kg x3
    100kg x3
    112.5kg x5
    120kg x5
    127.5kg x4 - ugh!

105kg 3x8, 1x7

Dips:
    bodyweight +15kg x11, 2x8

Dead Hang Pull Ups:
    bodyweight +10kg x8, 7, 6
    Face Pulls w/ straight bar:
    plate 80 on crossover stack 3x12

*supersetted with*

One Arm Barbell Curls:
    22.5kg x11, 9, 7

Excuse - I've added 18 heavy sets of bench work per week out of nowhere, so I'm fatigued (that's a lie, I feel no better now!!). Dunno what's going on. At least it's 2.5kg up on last time. If I keep progressing on my 3 and 1 day I won't bother resetting just yet.

Took my grip in to pinky on rings (from ring on rings) for the 105's and they were alot more powerful. Much better drive off my chest, probably thanks to all the board work. Twas a mistake going wider for the heavy sets.

Dips were grand, sticking with 15kg for this wave, gonna go for max reps in 5 sets I suppose.

Dead hung the pull ups for a change today... NOT nice at all.

Loving the BB curl/face pull superset. Serious pump after it.

Calories are still lower, conditioning is still high, sleep is still lacking, but I'm hanging on in there.

5/3/1 – Wave 4 – “5” Day

Squats:
    60kg 2x5
    100kg x3
    120kg x3
    140kg x5
    160kg x5
    belt
    180kg x5
    wraps
    210kg x3
    wraps off
    165kg 2x5, 1x8

Box Squats – beltless, toes near edge of mono:
    60kg x5
    80kg x5
    100kg x5
    120kg 3x5

Pulldown Abs:
    Worked up to;
    Plate 12 x5
    Plate 13 x3
    Plate 10 2x12

Seated Leg Curls:
    Plate 35 and 45 x12 (one leg at a time)
    Full stack 2x15

Dumbbell Preacher Curls:
    15kg ‘bell x12
    20kg ‘bell 3x12

Conditioning Block:
    60kg – 10/7/5 – Cleans, Front Squat, Push Press, RDL
    Time: 6 mins 25 seconds

The obligatory qualifier (so when I look back on this in year I know why I sucked so badly) – went out at 7.30pm yesterday, made it to bed well after 5am today and got up then around 8.30. So once again, not the ideal preparation. I’m sick of it tbh.. Nights out are good fun, but hitting good lifts in training’s much more fulfilling!!

So, MSO (moving swiftly on)…

Squats were alright. Still having issues with my form, but it’s slowly coming around. Glute strength is a big issue imo, so I’ve started to work on it with the box squats. I had reps left with the 180 x5, could probably have stretched to 8. Might have knocked out 5 reps with the 210kg too.
    First time back box squatting in a long time and my hip strength has seen a noticeable drop off. The box today sat me right at parallel – I’ve done 190kg x1 off that height before!! Guess it’s a good sign really…. If my squat’s still near PR levels even with a substantial drop off in hip strength, once that comes up I should be rocking.

Pulldown Abs felt good…. Seeing progress there again.

Ham curls just to cover my much ignored knee flexion function .

Preacher’s were grand. Not a huge “pumpy” move, but definitely felt it afterwards.

The conditioning block was ruddy awful. Decided I’d do it in Hercs so I didn’t have to do anything later on, cos I knew I wouldn’t. Glad I did now cos I’m falling asleep here!!

And I forgot how much I’m in love with Hercs… first time training on a Saturday in there in a long time and the atmosphere was ridiculous. Ireland’s best tested powerlifter was in training shoulders with a guy who walks around at what I would estimate to be sub 5-6% bodyfat year round (yes, I said sub 5-6% year round).

I was squatting with a lightweight dude who put up 2x bodyweight 4x5 with no belt!!

Buuuuut… all of that is completely overshadowed by one guy. I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that no one will have ever stepped on the first timer stage in an Irish bodybuilding competition in better condition than this guy. I joined Hercs over 3.5 years ago, and back then everyone in there was talking about this dude and the potential he has. Well, he’s delivered on it in a serious way now. I honestly can’t wait to see him on stage.

Highlights of the day (all from that guy);
    65kg incline dumbbell press x8 (+3 reps w/ light touches)
    75kg incline dumbbell press x5
    140kg incline bench x5 or 6 (after the above)

Oh and one of the guys training with him is pretty much also stage ready 6 weeks out. Hercs is back with a bang this year!! I’m really looking forward to the NABBA’s.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Whats up with you going on the piss all of a sudden!!!

Getting up at 8:30 is just silly!!

Whats up with you going on the piss all of a sudden!!!

Getting up at 8:30 is just silly!!

Exams were over, been far too good for far too long!!

And now I'm over it again!! hahahaha!!

I tend to just wake up and not be able to go back asleep. Bit of a curse tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Exams were over, been far too good for far too long!!

And now I'm over it again!! hahahaha!!

I tend to just wake up and not be able to go back asleep. Bit of a curse tbh.

it's not difficult!! Have a glass of milk, a jaffa cake and a bit of a fap and you'll be back to sleep in no time;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

lol the problem is you didn't drink enough to sleep longer! :P
    Do you think the squat issues could be cause you're not squatting as often with 5/3/1, same as the bench?

Do you think the squat issues could be cause you're not squatting as often with 5/3/1, same as the bench?

Yup. That's the exact problem imo. Gonna finish out this wave and move on I think. There's a nice little training group re-forming on Saturdays and Sundays from the end of August so things will start to pick up in a serious way then.

Shirted Bench Day

Bench:
    60kg x5
    80kg x3
    100kg x2
    120kg x1
    140kg x1
    *shirt on - 44 Katana*
    160kg x3
    175kg x2
    190kg 3x2

2 Board Press w/ doubled minibands:
    60kg x3
    90kg x3
    110kg 5x3

Pushdowns:
    doubled mini bands 2x50

Hanging Leg Raises:
    bodyweight 2x10

Pretty damn happy with today!! Rested up last night to make sure I was in a good place this morning, even managed to get 8 hours sleep for the first time in over a month!!! If it didn't go well after all of that, I was giving up.

Warm ups were a bit ropey - my shoulders were fairly thrashed from the volume of my squat workout yesterday. I found a pretty good groove in my shirt almost straight away, which is always good!! Touched 50% of the reps w/ 190kg including both reps on my final set. All were pressed strongly too!

My forearms and elbows were absolutely destroyed at that stage, so I didn't see the point in dropping back to 180kg and doing more damage. Cut the volume of the board presses in half two. Wont be in my shirt for another 2 weeks now so hopefully everything will have healed by then!!

One of the things I was most happy about was on the last rep of the second set I came up a bit uneven (alot uneven tbh), noticed it, and easily had the power to force my left arm thru to correct it.

Weight was 103.7kg again this morning... calipers are still showing 16mm! Dieting seems to be going fairly solidly. Hoping to crack 14-15mm by Friday at whatever weight that is!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

just wondering, do you have to like pull the bar down to touch? or is that just retarded :P

just wondering, do you have to like pull the bar down to touch? or is that just retarded :P

I've found that forcing a touch rarely works. What tends to happen is that you fall outta the groove and miss or make it harder than it should be!!

The trick's to get the bar in the right spot before lowering, then just let it happen!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

i thought so, i thought it might ruin your tightness or something, but i was just wondering, id say it feels mad weird havin like 170 kilos just hovering over your chest doin nothing!

• Advertisement

i thought so, i thought it might ruin your tightness or something, but i was just wondering, id say it feels mad weird havin like 170 kilos just hovering over your chest doin nothing!

Haha I wouldn't say it's not doing anything, but yes, it does!!

Advertisement