Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The accelerating fall in Sinn Féin support

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭concerned_tenant

You have to dial the speed to 2x to hear McDonald speak with normal human speech pace.

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it." — George Orwell

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I thought blaming the 'opposition' was what governing parties did? At least she's blaming the people actually in charge...

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭concerned_tenant

The problem is that it comes across as very, very insincere.

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it." — George Orwell

• Registered Users Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

They're the opposition, it's their job to complain about everything.

As we know from the northern assembly, once they're in charge, they'll knock it out of the park…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

In theory, she should be happy - fairly unpopular and jaded government, local and EU elections coming up where SF should do well, power sharing restored, DUP in disarray….she should be a smiley face.

And, just generally, people don't react well to negativity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭RoboRat

She is tedious to listen to… always moaning and trying to stick the boot in but rarely offering any viable alternative. It seems to be the narrative of SF in general, and their stance is generally reflective of the mood on social media.

MLM treats politics like a boxing match where every barb she throws is a punch, and she only intends to win on points. The problem is that she is throwing punches and missing the target more often than not. I'm not a fan of FF, FG, or the Greens, but when SF is the only viable alternative, I'd rather stick with FFG because as at least you know what you're getting with them, as unpalatable as it is. I also look at the current economy and wonder what it would look like if SF took over after the crash.

The government needs to be able to make the hard decisions, even when those decisions are unpopular, and I don't think the SF has the stomach for that. I keep thinking an SF government will be like that episode of the Simpsons where Homer becomes the Mayor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Another alarming poll for SF. A few months ago they were at 34%. Today down to 23%.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭CWMMC

Sein Fein do not want to rule. They want to sit their in the opposition complaining about everything to make everyone look bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I think you are on to something here. She is certainly trying her best to come down in the polls. She cant not be aware of it at this stage so it has to be intentional.

Worst thing that could ever happen to them as a party is if they get into government.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

…ah shur government is flying along at the moment, well on the way to resolving our most critical of issues, housing, health care etc etc, tis all good…..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

I find her very shrill and combatative.

She should take a leaf out of Michelle O'Neill's book, I've been quite impressed by her performance as First Minister for Sinn Fein. It would be nice to see her as leader of an all Ireland party.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Ted222

Holding the Government to account is what opposition parties should do.

It would be nice to think they would do so responsibly and not treat every issue as an existential threat but maybe that’s too much to hope for these days.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

And yet, Pearse is the vastly more incoherently angry, let-me-speak-to-the-manager of the two of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Ted222

That’s the trouble. She makes FFG the only viable option. FFG is in government not because of their ability but because they’re the “least bad” option. They’re likely to be there for another term as well as SF will never have the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,930 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,556 ✭✭✭Floppybits

And FFG make SF a viable option. Swings and roundabouts.

Those pointing out that Mary Lou moans alot, what do you expect? She is opposition and is calling out the failures of the government that is what the opposition do? What do you want her to say "Ah sure lads all is grand carry on". Its nothing but a load of BS when you hear people complaining about the opposition moaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Have you ever heard MLMD? Its another level entirely. Did you here her yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Well you should of heard Pearse the other night on RTE, the guy is supposed to be their Finance person and was off on some tangent about Immigrations.

At this stage even the SinN Fein supporters have to be bored of the constant "faux outrage" show Pearse put on all the time.

I can;t find it now but watch the youtube of him trying to rip off a mask during covid while he was in mid "outrage" about something or other, probably the tea wasn't at the right temp in the canteen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Just to be clear, are you saying that she is complaining about things she should not be complaining about ?

Please give some examples. Keeping in mind that she is an opposition leader.

Or is it simply that you don't like her manner?

Btw, to call somebody a "Karen" isn't very nice, not least because a man wouldn't get this sort of criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Seriously ?

Just taking your post as an example of the type of stuff in this thread ,concerned .

So is this passing for criticism of a leader of a political party these days on CA ?

Not SF voter btw but hate these stupid threads moaning and whinging about public figures and calling them names .

It's just like something that you'd see on FB and scroll on by .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

you have a point about Michelle - but it’s actually easy to shine when your opposite is some dreary DUP type Emma Little - but yeah she’s way ahead of Mary Lou , probably because she’s got the power - she can’t afford to be seen to be critical now but she has a lot of flex and skills - Mary Lou only knows how to play it one way

FYI I am not calling her a karen

She has managed to get her party the label "flip flop"

I will let Heather explain why

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I'm not a fan, or supporter of any Government party, as I believe they have all just fallen to the left, leaving some nut-job ultra nationalists naked on the right which I could never even consider voting for.

MLMD is such a whinge-bag though. Even when not talking about the Government, she is whining and it's difficult to listen to her. All Politicians, male and female get abuse, so put away the gender card for a second and realise that the term Karen is actually very apt for MLMD.

Search it on Google and you get this at the top.

Karen

Slang:

Description

Karen is a term used as slang typically for a middle-class white American woman who is perceived as entitled or excessively demanding. The term is often portrayed in memes depicting middle-class white women who "use their white and class privilege to demand their own way". Wikipedia

And this image

Giving an interview on the housing crisis 😂

Stay Free

Really going to go use that as a defence when FG, FF and the other partied have all done the same.

Not often I agree with you but on this you are 100% correct. If she holds the government to account she is whinging, if she doesn't then she is said not to be doing her job. What do people want or is just because she is the leader of SF? Would the responses be the same if it was the leaders of FG or FF?

AAh he..er ! Now that is one I agree with being blocked .

That planning was taken to court after being accepted by ABP , when they were going through their recent 'troubles ' , after being objected to and refused permission by DCC's planning officer on the basis of an 18 storey tower block included in the development ... on Clonliffe Road .…come on !

On an old street in the middle of a whole area of protected structures !

Nowhere in the city has a tower block of that size been accepted. Even Johnny Ronan has been fighting for years to build one amongst other tall buildings . In the centre of the city .

"Poor" developer Hines.... I don't think so.... will get permission if he goes back and gets rid of that massive tower block . Bloody chancer . EIGHTEEN STOREYS !

Yes we need housing and we need apartment blocks , am all for it.

But greedy developers do what greedy developers do without restrictions, and next thing be Towers. Everywhere . Low quality , minimal amenity housing is not good and is not the answer to our housing crisis .

Good quality medium rise, well built , apartment blocks like those on Griffith Ave are the way to go .

Think it's a politically influenced thread maybe 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 25,745 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Not very nice?

It's misogynist BS, done by types who think women should smile more and be agreeable.

I don't like MLs politics. But calling her names for doing her freaking job is just rude.

Post edited by Mrs OBumble on

• Advertisement

We have a housing crisis, why shouldn't we build high apartments? every other city in the World is doing it.

We seem to have some issue with high rise building and "EIGHTEEN STOREYS" is not high.

Unless we start to build more high rise and a lot higher than 18 we will always be in a constant housing crisis.

You need developers to build houses/apartments.

Medium rise is not the way to go, never has been and never will be. It's a joke and why we have so many issues in the city. People running around complaining about 18 as if we are building sky scrapers. Disaster but you give an excellent example of Irish people.

"we want more house………..just not those type and not in the area which might affect me"

Advertisement