Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The accelerating fall in Sinn Féin support

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,262 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It's a conscious decision by the govt to not increase housing supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

nobody knows how this is really gonna pan out, including me, but its very likely that some will in fact move towards sf, and others away from the three main parties

I don't know anything but I know SF will gain votes....

LOL

Look at the momentum, SF is in decline because they are being found out, and they haven't even had a term in government. A fine achievement if I must say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Perhaps you would link me to the "conscious decision". I have zero recollection of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,262 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Get the tinfoil hats ready for the big reveal

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Ive banged on about this for years.

Support for SF is essentially from 3 blocks.

They can keep 2 of those happy, but they cant keep all 3 happy.

If they want to be a progressive left-wing party, they will lose their more conservative working-class vote.

If they want to be a party of the working class, then they will have to start stating some hard truths about immigration, but that will put off their more liberal young voters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,320 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

If we built all the houses we needed then the price of housing would fall. Then the majority of people who own their homes would start feeling insecure because their homes are worth less. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Every week about 400-500 homes are sold to first-time buyers. Assuming most are couples this equates to nearly 1000 people every week who are buying a home for the first time. Last week their #1 issue was housing and this week it's not so that's potentially a lot of voters whose political priorities may be changing weekly.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The reference was to a "conscious decision" not to increase housing supply, and not to a conspiracy theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Who is “we”?

Do you think SF will build the houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭road_high

If SF are as useless as they’ve proven in “opposition” then we’ve dodged a major bullet in never having them in government: they don’t want to be in government anyhow. They’re happiest behind a megaphone shouting about the far right and the evils of capitalism. Left wing student type politics is all they are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Agree with most of your points, other than the climate one.

I dont think there will be an upswing for the Greens unless Noah rocks up in his Ark.

Climate still isnt a major issue for a lot of people. Now it should be, of course, but it just isn't.

The interesting trend is the rise and rise of the independents....when will this stop? Will they become the 2nd largest party?

They may even become the largest...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭downtheroad

SF, the flip flop party.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...and what happens if a shed load of transfers go to sf!

government party supporters better be ready for the very strong possibility of a very strong anti-government party vote, exactly whats happening in many other countries, its clearly obvious the ffg dominance is over, for now anyway

...its clearly obvious government parties are in big trouble, so get ready, as its gonna sting!

...yes sf are sh1t, we all know this, but a large proportion of the electorate truly dont care about that, they really dont!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

FFG are still likley to be in govt after the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

I agree with you regarding Independants....there is a different mood now in middle gound Ireland and I have seen/heard people admonish their own party they would have voted for religiously down the years.

I think Independants will increase from 19-20 to 30-35 at least in the next election.

The referendums also had a bit of a protest vote against the Gov./Establishment Parties including Sinn Fein, SD etc

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

yes this is a very possibility, but theres also the possibility of a sff one to, it clearly depends on vote numbers, and then of course post election agreements, again the referendum was very telling, polls are now truly unable to predict outcomes with any reasonable degree of accuracy, voter behavior is changing, with many now making very late decisions, theres very likely to be a very strong move towards opposition support, voter confidence is now there to do so, we need to prepare for this possibility. theres an astonishing degree of ignorance and arrogance towards some government party supporters here, theres a deep unwillingness to accept these facts, to accept government parties truly failed in regards the referendum, this is very likely to continue into the ge, a proportion of the electorate now truly doesnt give a fcuk about government parties, and it will show, to some degree, and again, at the ballot boxes, so they better get ready for the sting!

noting, im a greeny myself, and theyre truly fcuked!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The provos have become more sticky than the stickies ever were.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

that newspaper account isnt actually accurate but sure off ye's go with the gossip. Yes at the early stage they did vote yes on it, but that is because they had assumed their amendments would be discussed, which didnt happen. Also, great to see the lads again, telling us SF are going to lose votes. eggs and faces will probably the outcome again for those predictions (as usual).

"Finance Spokesperson Pearse Doherty said they had not supported the Bill in the Seanad and had voted against it in the upper house last June.

"We had raised serious concerns with this legislation right through the process and had tabled a number of amendments," he said.

"The Government in its arrogance refused to listen, not only to Sinn Féin's amendment but also to the other amendments that were coming from the opposition."

My prediction is SF would do quite well in an election, now they've been deserted by the right winged 'ireland for the irish' crowd that came from ff/fg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

only reason I'd vote for those populist w@nkers is I have never seen a magic money tree that sf surely have access to if they are gonna fix everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,363 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

They'll be canvasing in sandals they flip flop so much.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Sinn Fein will get a boost in the polls because of their stance on this hate bill.i for one will vote for anyone against it. Fg, and ff not reading the room yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Aontu getting my vote in future FFG/SF all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,008 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Will they though? Will people who are so strongly against the bill that it will influence how they vote in a GE trust SF given their TDS voted in favour of it a year ago? Can such voters have any confidence SF would not turn again and come back with a similar bill if they are leading the next government?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

The "right winged 'ireland for the irish'" is the SF base vote 😂

SF now trying to claim that was FF/FG voters coming over is hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Easy for Pierce to say that now but they supported the Yes vote and Mary Lou shot her self in the foot by say she would run the referendum again when she got power, what ever backsliding she tries to do that is on record and a lot of people won’t forget that in a hurry. The party’s that in trouble are the greens and labour with such a poor leader who can’t speak without arguing and doesn’t do her self any favours, before the referendum The dail had forgotten about rural Ireland and didn’t think it mattered only woke Dublin was the be all and end all. They got their answer at the count.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭seanin4711

you're the bull! you're the bull! you're the bull!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Considering SF are on the fringes of the loony left, I doubt they have many right wing supporters. I'm a right wing voter myself and wouldnt touch SF with a bargepole.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Right wing, left wing, centre. Couldn't really care, it seems now everyone wants to know which "wing" you are in, only came about in last few years

But trying to claim that SF core voters are not the "Ireland for the Irish" is complete BS. They have always historically had that section of voters in Ireland.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Their traditional base, i.e. the people who voted for SF before they attracted the left wing student types in the past few years would be quite conservative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

Bigotry is part of SF DNA (see Conor Murphy as an example) . They chased the right wing vote with the likes of Paddy Holohan. That's the reason the right wing hate them all of a sudden. A lovers tiff so to speak.

Advertisement