Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The accelerating fall in Sinn Féin support

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Sinn Fein and Mary Lou object everything. It doesn't matter location, type or anything. Just reject.

They have been doing it for years.

Remember Sinn Fein took over DCC in 2014, promised more social units, in 2019 when they left DCC had less units than in 2014.

Sinn Fein have spent years, 10+, making the housing crisis worse and worse when they have had the chance. Name a construction site and I am sure you will find at some stage a SF TD or councillor has loaded a rejection against it. Even if they don't block it they keep it stuck in court for years driving up the price.

This thread is about Mary Lou, she is the one rejecting yet will be on TV anytime soon going on about housing. About time as I said a few people woke up, others are more than happy with Sinn Fein rejecting housing once they are not the ones left lying on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭buried

"The kids" lol McDonald doesn't give a monkeys scratch what your kids think, why would she? She expects your kids to live at home with you until they are 87

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭lmao10

The unionist-backed far right continue to desperately try to discredit sinn fein in order to prevent reunification. I don't think Sinn Fein took it seriously considering those far right lads were championing Tommy Robinson who has publicly supported a British soldier involved in Bloody Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,556 ✭✭✭Floppybits

No they haven't and they are paying for that now. You need to take off the blinkers. They supported that pox of a hate speech bill when they should have opposed it, they supported those absolute waste of time referendums when they should have opposed them and they backed the government on the covid crap and even wanted to go further. They have been pathetic opposition and yet you come out with this guff they oppose everything. They are the opposition they are there to call out the government that's the job. Would you be saying the same if it was FG or FF in opposition?

Mary Lou thread 🤔

"guff" 😂

They have no coherent plan on anything, they "flip flop" around trying to guess what might get some likes.

• Advertisement

Im struggling to see the link with "unionist-backed far right", maybe you could share the information you have on this?

And are paying for it but what's that got to with the poster calling her a Karen? She is there to call out the government whether you like it or not that's her job which she hasn't done well. Would you be saying the same if it was a FG or FG leader in opposition?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

l wonder did Barbara J Pym start up this thread 🧐

I already posted on this thread I am not calling her a "Karen". I don't feel the need to sink to the level others do daily on these threads about TD's.

You are obsessed with dragging FF and FG into every thread. This has nothing to do with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭griffin100

Holding the government to account in a coherent manner is the role of the opposition and that is what SF should be doing. Yesterday’s whining about the new Taoiseach not being in the dail was juvenile and she should have been embarrassed to give that speech.

• Advertisement

I'm not obsessed I am asking whether it would be the same reaction if it was a FG or FF leader doing it instead of Mary Lou? I'd bet you would be singing their praises.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭buried

lol "unionist backed far right" I thought two days ago up in here the 'fah riot' was Mattie McGrath and the Healy Rae's, no? Who will it be this weekend? Mickey Mouse?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 12,277 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

"It's not my area and it doesn't affect me , "would describe probably many others who are arguing that these high rise blocks be built in areas if Dublin that they don't rate or care about .

"Why should the lower middle to working class people of Clonliffe Road object to a massive tower over shadowing their little terraced houses ? How dare they object ?! Don't their children need housing, they should take whatever they get and be grateful ?!"

Eh ..no .

That's the problem really, somebody telling another person what they SHOULD accept . And I am sure that person telling them would not accept a tower like that next to them or as it happens also " in an area with protected structures" .

There would have been no problem with half that height or a mix but no the developer went to push in the highest tower in Ireland there . The developer was told there that the problem was just that extremely high , greedy ,tower.

No , I don't live in the area .

Yes , I am a northsider so I know the area .

Yes, North Dublin has apartments of more than medium rise going up everywhere around us and others built already and have not objected , precisely because there is a housing crisis .

But this one , not only for the residents of Clonliffe Road, ( many of whom wanted the rest of the apartments , in fact ) , but also The DCC planner , was a Tower Too Far .

There is a planning system which goes too slowly I agree but there are some very good reasons why some developments don't get granted .

This is one of those .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭downtheroad

You can't win Clo.

We want more apartments. OK here is a development proposal. Oh no, that's too big.

We are worse than Goldilocks and the 3 Bears in this country. Too big, too small, nothing is just right.

That poster can't wrap their head around a large tower block on the fringes of the city,an ideal location for such a development. But will cry foul, just like Mary Lou, at the housing crisis!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Do people actually vote based on the leaders of a party? I would have thought policies and local representatives would be much more important

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Only kids use the Karen thing, aren't they clued in for primary school all the same. If they are older than that, they need a bit of growing up to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,855 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Absolutely they do.

Most voters wouldn't know much about their locals reps, even TDs, let alone policy details.

People vote based on what they hear on the radio while commuting, or on Joe Duffy, or see on the 6.1 news while having their tea. Or increasingly, of course, on social media. All that makes the figurehead more important than ever. He or She can make or break a voter's decision and so just like in the UK, our politics has become more presidential, like it or not.

I always thought FG made the wrong decision selecting Varadkar over Coveney in '17, so divisive a figure was he, and I think SF are beginning to suffer similarly with Mary Lou at the helm, albeit that she is divisive for different reasons. Michelle O'Neill is SFs best asset and Mary Lou looks like yesterday's woman up against her, and I think voters in the Republic are making their judgements based somewhat on that dynamic.

A less than spectacular election day for SF on 7th June, and Mary Lou may well have to keep an eye out for certain ambitious TDs sharpening their armalites.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

It seems every time I hear her on the radio she’s calling for someone to resign. Does she know any other tune.

Bingo, no matter what is planned the same nimbys come out moaning

In this scenario it is a TD and someone living in Foxrock blocking the apartments.

The apartments could provide housing for the hospitals in the area, for the uni's etc etc

Ahh nah, f**k the nurses and Doctors, sure why do we need them. Or the teachers for the Unis The same people will be on cryin the nurses and doctors have no space to live in Dublin

After all its "EIGHTEEN STOREY" 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭downtheroad

It's an easy walk/cycle from there to the Mater Hospital and to St Pats DCU, a short cycle to the city centre, plenty of public transport in the area. It's probably one of the most ideal places in Dublin for a high rise development.

A bonkers religious auld one in Foxrock should be laughed at for objecting, as should the leader of the opposition.

Watch the government somehow get the blame for this one too.

• Advertisement

Train station nearly a direct walk across the road, with major bus routes. Plenty of shops/restaurants etc in the area.

It's the perfect location for high rise. People as well living in them won't have a massive need for a car becuase they would be close to work if in the hospital, even if further in city etc they have excellent public transport lnks

F**king disgrace these are getting blocked.
    Next year when students can't get a spot the people that blocked it will be crying

The leader of the opposition shouldn't be allowed to block it. She is doing it for political purposes, the worse the housing crisis is, the better for Sinn Fein. As I said they have been doing it for 10 years now. Disgraceful that anyone would make excuses for what they are at

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭SharkMX

These particular kids were 10 and 11 years old. They werent political at all. They just have "Karens" on the brain the last few weeks. MLMD on TV in the morning was the very definition of one, so they jumped on it. No malice intended from them, but I thought it was hilarious and understand 100% why their child brains stuck MLMD down as the definition of a "Karen".

I know the SF bots and employees are having to use a lot of their daily work time in this thread defending MLMD or doing a bit of whataboutery etc, and I apologize for SF having to spend money on this thread, but I just thought it was a very funny event.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭celt262

Did you decide yourself to call her "Karen McDonald" but though it would be better to say the "kids" made it up so you wouldn't sound like a 12 year old?

Ah, a typical SF style response. Its always finger pointing, whataboutery or a rant about something unrelated to divert from the thing being discussed.

I will be calling her Karen from now on though. It was an inspired nickname I thought.

Seriously, You cant understand why kids might call MLMD a Karen? There is not a better definition of a Karen to be seen in Ireland, probably the world at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭HBC08

Shes always come across as particularly dislikeable but it seems to be ramped up the last year or so.

I'd be willing to overlook that if her her party were a viable alternative but its apparent to a growing number of people that they're not.

It's a real damning indictment that there is such anger with the present government but the main opposition just aren't an option.

Their refusal to comment on the immigration situation in particular has been their downfall,its also the reason therell be a record number of independents in the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,503 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Plenty of kids on Boards then. The "Karen thing" gets used far too regularly here.

As for Mary Lou, she's has always been a moaner, even before Karen was a thing. It eventually turns people off.

The emperors cloths have fallen off alright. How an opposition party to the current shower could be falling in support is crazy. I suspect poster above is right though. They are terrified they might actually have to govern, so are scuttling their own party for the upcoming election.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭celt262

I'm no SF supporter just laughing at lads thinking things up in their heads that they think are funny and worth posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,856 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Uninspiring leader of a single issue party whose stock in trade is mud slinging.

Rarely do I hear anything out of her that is not negative or a dig at someone else. Tiresome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Pearse Doherty is even worse than she is. Just non stop negativity and glib soundbites for the social media team to upload. The golden age of using social media to get a message across is over, but SF are really struggling with it these days.

Might be time for change for the Dáil branch of the shinners.

Advertisement