Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The accelerating fall in Sinn Féin support

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

it's the background/advisors PR, researchers,... She is advised that.. This, that, or the other negitive thing is trending about FG or Simon Harris make sure to shoe horn it on to every interview no matter what the interview is about.

I think she is not the worst to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭foxsake

SF are in trouble , they forgot their base voters and chased the 20/30s middle class vote a lot of the twitter hero/progressive crowd.

the truth is that crowd fit really Greens/SD/Labour easily.

They didn't learn from when labour tried this 20 odd years ago and lost their base.

It takes time before the base lets go their allegiance so for a while SF had a loyal base and attracted new voters

But now the base SF voters have realise new SF is a barrell of sh1te and are looking elsewhere

Gerry Adams is to blame , he ruined a nationalist party by handing over the leadership to a flake like Mary Lou.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Not only did I think it was funny. I thought it was totally on the money too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,471 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Ultimately, housing of this density is needed in these areas, as time goes on, the low rise around it will be knocked and turned into high rise, as the alternative, urban sprawl, is a disaster. The sooner we realise this and get them built, the faster we'll get accommodation back to affordable levels.

MLMD is just playing the populist/NIMBY vote here.

The planning system is rotten to allow these type of objections, the politicians, MLMD in this case, pushing it are rotten as well and completely and utterly hypocritical if they talk about solving housing. This example is proof positive that Mary-Lou, if in power, would make the housing crisis worse for people and lead to even higher accommodation costs for everyone.

People tend to vote for the party, SF had a number of very poor candidates in the last election who didn't expect to get in, in one particularly egregious example, Violet Anne-Wynne built up a large rent arrears and was an anti-vaxxer, she resigned from the party mid-term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Very few to none care about NI nationalism here, if SF had stayed in the past like that, they would have stay as a half dozen TD's fringe party a bit like PBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,736 ✭✭✭✭walshb

SFs policy is just one big moan. It’s all they have ever offered. No intention whatsoever of leading and governing

• Registered Users Posts: 23,551 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I don't think the tide going out on SF is down to MLMD alone but she can be 'irritating' sometimes to listen to (like a teacher scraping a blackboard with their fingers).

The reality is closer to an election voters assess the options more seriously, and SF is just not coming out well in that assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,736 ✭✭✭✭walshb

never got this. There’s holding to account and there is just plain obstruction. Opposition ALL the time should never ever be seen as good, the way it should be, natural way. Best way for people to govern and live is by collaboration. We have it arse ways. It’s really just one big game of us against them ALL the time.. and society cannot benefit from this

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭foxsake

and they may well go back to that soon.

they've really damaged their working class base - are they really saying they can compete with the greens or SD for the trendy progressive vote? I dunno if they can

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

This is more of a reason

AS elections come around people do start to look at policies and what party has what policy

Sinn Fein policies have been a bag of cats for years now but they never got pulled up on them. Now people are looking at them and can see they don't add up.

Sinn Fein are running scared now and they seem to think putting Mary Lou and Pearse on every show possible, covering every topic while hiding the actual SF person who is supposed to cover that area, is the answer

Only time will tell, but seeing Mary Lou and Pearse with the gloomy/faux outrage act so much will soon become tiresome even to the hardcore SF supporters

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Do you not know where Clonliffe Road is? It's not on the fringes that's for sure as if you really thought so .

One of the oldest terraced small red brick streets which backs on to Croker , and loads of apartments all around .

Apartments are not the problem. None if the rest if the development was until the developer got greedy .

It was an EIGHTEEN STOREY HIGH apartment block proposed in among the other blocks. That was the problem .

Still at it ?

I can do that too. ;)

It's a disgrace that a greedy developer would want to build an 18 STOREY high apartment block in a residential area surrounded by protected structures and two storey terraced houses !

If he had changed the planning app as advised by DCC planning to moderate the height of that one to a more reasonable level like the rest he would be building all of those apartments now .

Which I totally agree are badly needed , but not at ANY cost.

And it wasn't just 'an auld one in Foxrock' ( an ageist , sexist description which anybody in Young Fine Gael would be so proud of ) and a SF TD .

None of that matters if the planner is happy which they weren't . DCC turned that Tower down as they have similar in the city centre saying it was completely inappropriate . Couldn't even get through a fast track process .

Are you saying the judge who turned it down was wrong too ?

Judge agreed with the planner, the TD and the 'auld one from Foxrock ' ( such a nice description btw , typical of the thread )

But of course you know this and are using the thread to try to blame SF for this refusal .

Pretty clear that no matter who turns a planning decision down, SF will be getting the blame from FFG .

There are tds in every party blocking developments in their areas not just SF .

At least I can admit that ..because I am not shilling for any particular party .

That's right . A floating voter rapidly turned off by comments like those on this thread from voting FFG .

It is indeed a disgrace , that FFG have let us down so badly for housing that they are now so desperate they want the equivalent of the Ballymun Towers built in residential streets and try to pillory anyone that doesn't agree .

Astrofool with respect on this I disagree.

It will never be ok to plant a massive tower of that size in a low rise area.

Medium rise to 10 storeys high is all that has been built even in inner city areas so this was a ludicrous application .

In general I am supportive of more apartments to that level and higher if next to other high rise .Next to low rise and housing

I agree that the only political influence in planning should be to ensure the process is fair and moves more quickly

Ballymun Towers 😂

Do you know the biggest issue in the Ballymun Towers? a very interesting post was on reddit a few years back in terms of what happened from a resident. The PIRA flooded the area with drugs.

Sinn Fein put in a rejection, along with all the other rejection they put in against every construction site in ireland. It has nothing to do with the project, it is better for Sinn Fein to have more people homeless.

In terms of DCC, Sinn Fein took over DCC in 2014, huge article used to be on thei website how they promised to build more social units. They got a budget of 300m or 400m from the government. When they left in 2019, they had less units than when they started and had allowed over 40m in rent arrears build up. Evicted one tenant

Thats Mary Lou and Sinn Fein. So time to wake up

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

That's what people with a basic level of intelligence do, yes.

Unfortunately going by what I've seen on social media over the past couple of weeks, there's a sizable cohort of morons who think general elections are for electing a Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭downtheroad

If we are talking about the same Clonliffe Road, it is 2.2km from the spire. 1.6km from St Pats College. And 1.3km from the Mater Hospital. Fantastic location for a multi storey development to house doctors, nurses, students and more.

Again, this thinking is part of the problem, this is an area that should be high rise, it's near the centre, near public transport, it's perfect for it.

And the objection is not to build high rise because there isn't high rise already in the area, it's an irrational argument for locations near the city centre.

Once one is built, others will follow.

plus excellent connections to public transport, you also have the Rotunda which is in walking distance and the LUAS.

It’s a perfect location and the area is crying out for more accommodation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The way they misconstrue how Irish politics works just annoys me. You'd think we have a first past the post presidential system by the way they go.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I`m not a great believer in coincidence, but the SF voting intentions in polls were holding up well until the controversy on immigrants and especially asylum seekers started making the headlines. Whether that had the effect on their percentage dropping so much I have really no idea, But if it has, for a party of the left, then it make a bit of a sham of all parties and the media treating it as just being an issue for a rag tag rabble on the far right.

• Advertisement

Could have had a few blocks of 10 storeys each going up by now with no problems .

Its not going to happen in areas where ordinary housing will be massively overlooked

Not one of you three arguing this has recognised the fact that 10 to 12 storeys is as high as any of the city buildings which are deemed sufficient but not so overbearing to block out light .18 storeys has never been built in inner city never mind a residential street on the outskirts.

There was trouble over the very essential new hospital building in Eccles St for the Mater which stands at just 9 storeys high ! And that is inner city.

Full Marks for ignoring that very valid point , (i don't think )

.If this is needed for student accommodation then that accommodation should be built on land purchased by the colleges or state .

The main need in the area is sustainable housing apartments up to a maximum 10 storey high which is higher than most buildings outside the centre .

They will reapply and those will go ahead with a 2 year delay precisely because they were pushing for something that is not acceptable .except to a minority .

Post edited by Goldengirl on

You are totally politicising the issue and thus ignoring valid points being made because of your bias.

My points are not made on political bias and am finding this tiresome repeating points that you ignore. And come back with the same stuff over and over and make no attempt to see anyone elses pov

Done with this .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Not to mention the Conspiracy Theorist, the one that built a house without planning permission, and also The Honourable Deputy For Lanzarote.

There's a reason you only ever see one of Mary-Lou, Doherty or Republican Harry Potter doing the media rounds, the backbenches are less a talent pool and more a small puddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

They should have made O Neill the leader instead, she gets her point acrosss without sounding like a wounded hyena.

Bit of a slip up by the lads up in the Falls road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Not really, as that obnoxious loon in Foxrock will object to anything being built on the precious holy land.

It's OK for her sitting pretty in Foxrock.

A quick Google of her name shows she has form with spurious objections and protests.

She is a see you next Tuesday who needs to get a hobby (unless objecting to progress is her hobby).

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭dublincc2

Mujahideen Lou or Mary Portalou McDonald are what I have heard her being called.

Do you really think the planners would take on board somebody with a history like that ?

I would say the opinion of the planner trumps all that , while of course they have to take objections into consideration , if they are deemed mischievous they won't be regarded.

Go over and say what you just said on the Construction and Planning thread and see what they say about it .There are experts there .

Everybody agrees we need more housing and apartments. I have said so repeatedly , but not at this height , it's untenable and unreasonable .

You have had a lot of time on the Property thread with this and now here on this thread and it's getting old now .

As am I , by the minute ! 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭OrangeBadger

Can't stand her, they know they will never have to back up anything they say so they just whine and complain 24/7

Advertisement