Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The accelerating fall in Sinn Féin support

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

If they don't have much interest in politics then why would they worry about a load of political topics like accomodation etc?

In reality the TD is now more famous than a lot of the celebs in RTE. The amount of coverage across social media is odd to say the least. The "younger people" will know more than years ago when you wouldn't see a TD from one election to another.

Maybe they won't follow the "we are XYZ party voters" but the rest of the post is totally incorrect and younger people now have more knowledge and information on politics than we had even 10 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

The younger people are too busy with life and trying to get by and looking forward, how many young people could name the TDs in their constituency and the political parties bar the 3 or 4 of the top figureheads who could name any of the others, or name all the government ministers, social media targets what people are looking at Tik Tok doesn’t put up stuff that you’re not interested in on the feed or Facebook doesn’t suggests friends with TDs if your following music or farming etc, it’s about what interests your viewing daily. As for the minds of young people there is two first time voters in this house and lots of their friends passing through here and haven’t heard any of them talking about politics. Their interests are sport, fashion, social, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

The younger population have better access and get targeted more by parties now than ever. They have more information than ever on parties.

You name a list of political topics and now jumped to a list of non political 😂 to cover up the initial mistake.

Trying to say they are too busy with life, what do you think everyone else is up to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Well I'm personally against abortion. However all the things you listed were decided by referendum, They aren't going to change regardless of Aontu being in power. Those issues are settled, what has not been settled and is still an issue are things like our immigration policy, housing strategy, healthcare etc. I honestly don't care what their position on gay marriage or divorce is because we both know they aren't changing anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭celt262

SF used social media brilliantly for the last election and no doubt gained many new voters. These days anything they post is getting very negative attention which will no doubt have a effect at the next election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭Augme

Abortion hasn't necessarily been settled. There's nothing stop a party removing the legilsation around abortion or brining in legilsation to make it illegal or tightening the current provisions. Aontu have made it clear one of their main aims is stop abortions and if in government that's what they'd try and do.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,276 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Abortion is staying as is. Not a hope we are going back to the dark days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Indeed, the likes of Harris regards the number of abortions as a performance metric.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭combat14

the reality is if aontu or other pro irish pro housing party gets in - they will be propped up with FF / SF / Independents so abortion is not going to change that is only scare mongering

what will change is a greater emphasis on building badly needed houses for irish citizens and protecting irish resources from international vulture funds

• Registered Users Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭Augme

Pointing out the parties desired position on abortion isn't scaremongering. They want to get rid of it and it is possible fro any party to do that. Those are simply facts.

Also, the last time around the majority of FF TDs were against abortion. Who knows what a coalition of Aontu and FF would try and do to current abortion laws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Vulture Funds is a hyperbolic term. Remember that the vast majority of housing being built across the state is directly funded by investment funds.

Without investment funds, our new housing completions would drop off a cliff...so be careful what you wish for.

This is the main reason why a SF led govt would see a fall in new home completions, not an increase - because they would lock out the essential financing from investment funds that is hugely relied on, in order to deliver our 30k+ new homes each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mollser

I'm no fan of social media, but it is quite entertaining seeing every single SF post get trashed. The responses to MLMD's latest glorifying a child killer is really quite something 😆. They're fooked in the election, I suspect they'll be 3rd most popular by that stage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭combat14

oh the investment funds are welcome to build and build

just not buy up every scrap of already completed home or apartment to the exclusion of irish citizens

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Not great when you consider his main rival for the looney vote is Ruth Coppinger.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,223 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

MLMD has no choice in such matters. The instructions from Belfast are clear, celebrate every single volunteer whether they killed women, children or gardai (oh, except for that fella that beat his wife). She doesn't dare go against instruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

starting checking out some of those accounts doing the responding. You'll usually find they were never SF fans in the first place. I'd prefer to see SF get votes from people who believe in them, than a large support that will then just fall away (which is what we are seeing) but I dont think the responses reflect the reality. plenty of people - when they see the anti foreigner, close the borders, irish for the irish type responses - just dont post because some dickhead will try to bully them for their opinion.

I wouldnt be counting them out of the next government as yet - though I would prefer they didnt get in that go in with FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,464 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You seem to be treating SF as a cult rather than a political party, there's no path to power without FF, so you're really saying you don't want SF in power again and want a new leader (as MLM won't survive another failed election).

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Small example of what SF is getting on the doorsteps. They are dreaming if they thinking of government after the next election. Working class people now see through them and their policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭tom23

No offence that is the most ignorant abuse i’ve ever heard. Sinn Fein don’t need that as a voter anyway. And before the big pile in on me. Im from a working class area and i’d be horrified to live beside that. pure ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

When,they buy them they hardly take them out of the country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Was replying to blueskydreams

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭batman75

The woman in that video is a disgrace. You can make your point without going to the sewer for language.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,499 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Salt of de earth

• Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Well the Soc Dems and Labour would have similar views on so called vulture funds as the shinners so it would make one wonder how either of them came up with this magic figure of building 50 k houses a year if they were in Government.

Have any of them ever even set foot on a building site to see whats involved in the construction of a house I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,838 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Maybe go in to some of Dublin's less economically active flats complexes and tell them their language is unsavoury, and see how many legs you leave with.

Fact remains, this cohort was among SF's biggest well of voters, and their decline in overall polls is directly attributable to their move to their centre on many policies, especially immigration and housing, and the reaction to it from these C2DE types.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭batman75

It would be hard for anyone to want to go out to bat for them when they speak in such vile and ignorant tones. The fact that you suggest it would be unwise to point out the ignorance of their language tells you all you need to know about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Glenomra

That is the kernel of their problem. Most people of my generation in my rural area wouldn't have voted for Sinn Fein anyway but I always thought that their principal areas of support lay in disadvantaged areas. I am gobsmacked to hear that lady's vitriolic response to a Sinn Fein canvasser. Hearing the party of 'Irish patriots' being referred to as traitors is some surprise to me. I could have visualised a candidate from FF or Fg getting that response but not Sinn Fein. It that response indicative of how 'working class' areas of Dublin perceive Sinn Fein.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭HBC08

Working class?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that horrible yolk never worked a day in her life.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Glenomra

But I in my innocence believed that the unemployed was one of main constituents of the Sinn Fein support!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Maybe she didn't but the shinners and PBP were only too happy to get votes of people like her down through the years and it was easy peasy for them when all they had to do was tell them what they wanted to hear.

PBP are done for in these areas from now on.

Advertisement