Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why is Dublin such a shιtty city?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

I agree that Dublin is a filthy dirty effing kip of a city. I have been around most parts of Europe and when you look at cities like Berlin and Munich, Salzburg, Paris my God they are fantastic. They are a pleasure to behold ! They have amazing architecture, premium shops, super clean streets and generally outstanding in every way compared to Dublin. Dublin is so under developed and quite dangerous in certain parts, nasty housing estates full of wasters and druggies with their grey track suit bottoms running amuck. "What ya fcking looking at knowww meannnnn ?????"

If only I spoke good German I would move to Berlin in a heart beat. To hell with Dublin and it's a shame I would even have to say that coming from Dublin myself.

Berlin ain't all that and a bag of potato chips either though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Hey Mondeo, can show me on street view of the filth and the dirt on the streets of Dublin that compare badly to other cities that have "super clean streets" please?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

So Malahide, Portmarnock, Blackrock, Dalkey, Dun Laoghaire, Howth as well as many other parts are also a kip? You'll actually find they are some of the nicest spots in Ireland. Your from Dublin and yet you seem like someone who has never stepped outside Dublin 1. Lots of people on this thread need to go back to school and learn what a kip actually is

• I wonder if actually arming beat cops in Ireland (with tasers even) would help with the anti social behaviour? Like really these guys could give a bollocks about breaking a Garda up since the best they can defend themselves with is an extendable baton, I wonder how many of them would be lining up to throw abuse or worse at the Gardai were they carrying a taser or something.. 🤔

• Advertisement

Dublin is the county attracting the most overseas visitors and tourist spend, followed by Galway, Cork and Kerry, the figures show. Ireland welcomed nine million overseas tourists in 2017, with a combined spend of €4.9 billion, according to the Fáilte Ireland figures.

The administrative counties of Dublin City (91,876 persons), Fingal (46,909) and Cork County (42,002) had the highest numbers of non-Irish nationals in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭growleaves

National Gallery of Ireland, Chester Beatty Library, Kilmainham Jail, Gaiety Theatre, National Museum, Hugh Lane Gallery, Dublin Castle, Christ Church Cathedral, Croke Park, traditional music pubs (O'Donoughes, Cobblestone) etc.

Dublin, and the whole country, has been oriented around tourism for years.

I was in Sweden once and the OP attacked me and tried to get me to give up my shoes or else he/she would inject me with cancer/aids.

This thread/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

This is gas. Are these small children or teenagers who think this without access to the internet?

I find it hard to believe the many young Brazilians emigrating here and working in tech are looking for thatch cottages to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

I suspect some people have never left Ireland in their life... Compared to other major EU cities Dublin is nothing to look at. Spend a week in Berlin and come back to Dublin. The difference is shocking, it's day and night. Some of the coastal parts of Dublin are not so bad at best but that is all I will say about it.

• Advertisement

Very interesting. Can you show me on street view of the filth and the dirt on the streets of Dublin on google street view? I'm in the city centre right now and it's a stunning day, city is clean and looking well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Is it just Dublin that is horrible in comparison to European cities? I mean Cork and Limerick aren't great really, most of our towns and villages are horrible. Is it only Dublin you think is sh*t or all of Ireland?

I have lived in many different countries and now I work in the Baggot St area and the whole extensive around there is just lovely. There's more to Dublin than O'Connell st and its surrounds.

What's so nice about Berlin? I've been there and it's nothing special. Very functional place but not particularly pretty to look at. I'd rate Paris, Amsterdam or Budapest far higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭dmakc

As a resident, can confirm Dublin to be a **** city. Source is the amount of **** I have to avoid on the streets walking to work (D1), and the worry is whether it is dog or human export.

Goes without saying the damage covid has done, but one massive positive is allowing remote workers to get away from the concrete kip.

In fairness how is he going to know where the litter was on the day the Google car happened to be driving around. It's like asking for evidence of junkies on Google Streetview. You won't find them on Google, but everyone knows they are out there.

Lol, who told you that? I can see junkies, business people, office workers, tourists, Gardai, Roma gypsies... the full gamut of the cities dwellers and visitors on google street view at the Spire!! So can you! You can also see the ground, the footpaths and roads and there's a significant lack of the fabled amounts of litter and rubbish. I'm in the city right now and it's clean.

Sorry to burst the hate bubbles boys.

• One thing about Dublin it is very well kept litter wise (proper order ofc)

half this countries a kip anyway, it’s just easy to pick on Dublin cos it’s big. I’d rather visit Dublin any day above say, arklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

What's that about lack of litter? 🤣

After three days of searching someone found some light rubbish on O'Connell st... Unfortunately, doesn't match the descriptions above.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

3 days? I'm just after checking there now. You asked for a google streetview. The images are from July 2021 and you saying there's no litter there now lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

To be fair they are all sh!te compared to what most other capital cities have to offer.

I remember going to a couple of museums in London. Took me a day each to go around them. Had to go out for lunch and come back in and I still hadnt seen the half of it. And they were free too. Did the same in Chicago. Same again in France, but the ones in France cost money.

Dublin zoo would be about the only place in Dublin that I would say is worth a visit for a tourist, if they havent been to a zoo before. After that you have to go out to the likes of Glendalough, The national parks, Cliffs of Moher, or the Giants causeway to get to proper tourist destinations.

Or if you like pubs, Dublin will do, but everywhere has pubs. And walking around Dublin city center at night isnt for the feint hearted.

Dublin city center could be so much nicer if it was policed properly.

Now having said all that I quite like Dublin and there are some lovely places, just not near the city center. Roughly, if you draw a 3km circle with a compass from the Rotunda thats the exclusion zone :)

An yes, the city center and surrounds are fcuking filthy. Anyone who cant see that obviously not only has rose-tinted glasses, but they are blind too.

John_Rambo - Have you ever been to Dublin city center? It doesnt sound like you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Just Some Young Lad

I don't know if it's that much worse than other European cities. People are comparing it to the likes of Paris and London but the populations of those cities individually are greater than that of our entire country. I think if you take cities that have a similar population to Dublin, you'll see that it is inline with some of them, such as Birmingham in the UK or maybe even Brussels to a certain extent.

I agree about it feeling like a dangerous place. I'm not from Dublin, granted, but I have been there for everything from work to trips away, sport events to a day out and honestly, even in the city centre, when it gets dark I feel very uneasy.

I think it's worth remembering that not too long ago we were still an English colony and Dublin was massively impoverished. Maybe it is fair to say that it is lacking behind other capitals but its circumstance and history is vastly different to most.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭thefallingman

the problem with this is, look what twelve gardai armed with guns did to a mentally unstable teenager a few months back in front of his family in his front garden, would you trust arming the majority if the minority can't control themselves ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭OEP

Trinity is about 1km from the Rotunda and south of Trinity is nice. I know it doesn't excuse it not being nice, but why does anyone hang around the north city centre. The south city centre is really nice with lots of bars and restaurants. It has a great buzz about it in the evenings.

Some other European cities look much nicer, given the history etc., but can often be boring. For example Brussels, Zurich, Manchester, Birmingham, all Dutch cities except for Amsterdam, most German cities apart from Berlin and Munich.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭maninasia

The main issue is the drug treatment centers concentrated in the North inner-city. Any so called bad areas would have been gentrified years ago otherwise....

What’s the obsession with Berlin? It’s ok, but the bombings leave it with fairly bland post war architecture. For the most part

and as I said before many visitors stay on the south side hotels and travel to grafton street or the dart line.

having a bad area around the train stations is common enough in Germany, though Berlin is ok in that regard. Talbot street is bad but a lot of Europe has bad areas close to the train stations

lol. No you don’t. Howth is 25 minutes on the dart if you like a cliff walk that might have sunshine and visibility. It beats the giants causeway.

its fairly pointless comparing the museums in Dublin to London or Paris. Not surprisingly those two large cities have more museums, Dublin does very well for its size.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭growleaves

Dublin can't compare to Lisbon, Rome, Paris, London, Vienna - these were the centres of great empires that conquered the world.

France, Japan, Italy have a culture of beauty not matched everywhere else.

In a lot of Anglo culture griminess and dedication to money-making is usually a point of pride. Think of the big ugly Calvinist money machine that is the US. "Dear dirty Dublin". Manchester another good example.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

you can say the same about any city (except Zurich).. good and bad parts to all - rich/poor side by side..

• Advertisement

I think you are on to something re great European empires. We are a small rock on the edge of Europe that never conquered our own shadow. We have been always invaded by outsiders. I think the British did a decent job of building Dublin back in the day. Then we got independence just as architectural styles took a turn for the worse (Liberty Hall, Townsend St monstrosities).

Hopefully now that we've been relatively prosperous for a bit longer now, that our collective tastes might evolve and the next generation of architects might bring Dublin into the 21st Century.

Advertisement