Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is Dublin such a shιtty city?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,874 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Point A - "People don't really know their own capital" proven, thanks hegto tagaba.🤙

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

It's a brilliant city OP. If it wasn't we wouldn't get so many tourists visiting and people wanting to emigrate here to live.

People want to emigrate here thanks to everywhere outside Dublin.

Nobody abroad envisions Dublin when they think of Ireland.

When someone thinks of France - Eiffel Tower/Paris, England - Buckingham Palace/London, Italy - Colosseum/Rome, Ireland - green fields and thatched pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

Just wait till all the guys with their liberal attitude to drug laws get their ultimate wish.

Dublin will resemble something out of a zombie apocalypse movie. You'll be wading knee deep through rivers of needles and running the gauntlet from hordes of the tracksuit clad un-dead.

Should be fun! :)

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭HBC08

OK John,

You're fighting a bit of a losing battle here.

• Advertisement

Culchies come to Dublin for two reasons, GAA and concerts. So Croke Park or The Point.

They get off at Heuston, get the red LUAS to their North inner city hotel, then go to the game or concert in the north inner city. If they go out, they always go to Temple Bar because they don't know any better, then post Instagram photos of receipts and question why drink is so expensive in Dublin even though one street up you can get pints for regular prices. They then return to their North inner city hotel and get the red LUAS back to Heuston in the morning.

They then conclude that all of Dublin is run down, full of junkies, with the LUAS full of riff raff and pints are €7.50.

🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Hey Jeremy,

I would not share your opinion of our lovely city. I thought you emigrated to here from Sweden. I assume you didn't move to Dublin, or if you did you soon got out. Anyway, congratulations on adapting to the Irish vernacular so well. This particular sentence could almost have been written by a native Wexford speaker of English, so are you in the sunny south east? (I've only ever heard scaldy used by Wexford people, and often to describe those from a particular town. Although, I admit that could be just lack of exposure on my part).

"We have scummy, scaldy young lads with cotton sweatpants handing around on the street, smoking and littering and loitering around."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Cork isn't much better, like most of our major cities that have fallen apart without proper visible policing and just an acceptance of its ok to drink and take drugs in public.

The south city is fine as well. When I have my German family over they stay around Lansdowne road, take the dart to the city, or Howth or Dalkey and so on. To them it’s a rich nice city. We don’t spend that much time in O’Connell st because that’s not where the best restaurants or shopping is. The only time I’ve visited O’Connell st with them was on a city tour bus. Never really visit the quays either, the Liffey isn’t attractive and nobody wants to do the Guiness tour more than once .

country people who take public transport have to get the Luas from Heuston (the worst few stops), or they end up in busarus and then may have to walk to Talbot street, Eden quay etc for a bus or taxi.

The quays have gotten a lot worse recently.

There are two cities here and Dublin is at its worst where our country cousins end up when they arrive. No doubting that. Driving in the city isn’t fun either particularly if you are used to the country. I hate it but I never do it.

What, do really need a list of museums, parks, beaches, galleries, restaurants, trad sessions, sports events, distilleries, breweries, markets, civic squares, tours, theatres, bus tours, river tours, sea safaris, cultural tours, castles and islands in Dublin?? He couldn't come up with five things to do in Dublin so my point A is proven... these threads end up with the realisation that a lot of Irish people haven't a clue what's on offer in the cultural hub of the island.

I'm constantly amazed that true blue dubs, born and bred like yourself are as ignorant to what your capital has to offer as you admit.

• Advertisement

It's because their imagination limits them to the pub and the occasional visit to the cinema.

Good man john,

If you put it up to the Irish nation....is Dublin a kip or not? I think you'd have your answer .

That's the long and the short of it.

Scribble away on boards all day if you like but that's the reality.

More than half of those who voted in the last general election, voted for the current government.

Only a fool would trust in the wisdom of crowds.

Don't follow your point at all but bang away there....are you in the right thread?

OK,I don't follow what you're on about but so be it.Good luck with it.

Ask people like your negative self scribbling away on boards.ie and you get a certain answer. Talk to people that know the city and you get the truth.

Carry on scribbling, bltching, moaning and putting down places you nothing about, must be great fun. 😂

John....you're wound up again, a thin skinned dub is not a rare thing.I thought we addressed this in other posts.

There are two cities here and Dublin is at its worst where our country cousins end up when they arrive.

This absolutely explains the divergence of opinions in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I'm a Dub who actually loves Cork, and I have a good pal from Cork who loves Dublin, the weirdo...

He's not like the rest of the Corkonians... 😋

• Advertisement

Cork has gone to the dogs over the past ten years though. It's gone very rough in the city centre.

Dub that loves Cork here & know plenty of Corkonians that love Dublin.

Kilkenny is the nicest city in the country followed by Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

I've always been amazed at how quickly the character of Dublin can change when travelling only a few hundred metres. It can get hostile very quickly.

Can any of the hater/keyboard warriors help where Jeremy failed here?

Belfast is like that too though, 0.5 miles from City Hall brings you to the bottom of the Shankill Road, 0.5 mile from the Titanic hotels brings you to Mersey Street in East Belfast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭thefallingman

The city around o'connell street is a kip and frankly dangerous, along with merchants quay and thomas street but the rest of the county by and large is a great place to live, with the sea on the coast and mountains a bit further inland along with every amenity you need within a bus or luas stop. In saying that i love the countryside aswell and would happily pack up and move back outside the pale, depends on your preference i guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I've lived in the city centre for 12 years, the deterioration in that time is huge. ~Grand Parade, Paul St and Daunt Square are just a sea of scumbags, junkies, homeless and drunks. I've never had a problem myself but the area is littered with drug paraphernalia, regular assaults and muggings. It's sad to see the dublin-ification of it.

I have never felt more uncomfortable though than the centre of Tralee.

Both overrated and quite small. I think only Dublin, Belfast and Cork deserve to be called cities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It seems to be a thing where non Dubs hate Dublin but think Galway is the best place in the world. Galway is two streets surrounded by a constant traffic jam and it rains every day. Nice for a short visit but I don't get the hype about the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

I agree that Dublin is a filthy dirty effing kip of a city. I have been around most parts of Europe and when you look at cities like Berlin and Munich, Salzburg, Paris my God they are fantastic. They are a pleasure to behold ! They have amazing architecture, premium shops, super clean streets and generally outstanding in every way compared to Dublin. Dublin is so under developed and quite dangerous in certain parts, nasty housing estates full of wasters and druggies with their grey track suit bottoms running amuck. "What ya fcking looking at knowww meannnnn ?????"

If only I spoke good German I would move to Berlin in a heart beat. To hell with Dublin and it's a shame I would even have to say that coming from Dublin myself.

Berlin ain't all that and a bag of potato chips either though.

Hey Mondeo, can show me on street view of the filth and the dirt on the streets of Dublin that compare badly to other cities that have "super clean streets" please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

So Malahide, Portmarnock, Blackrock, Dalkey, Dun Laoghaire, Howth as well as many other parts are also a kip? You'll actually find they are some of the nicest spots in Ireland. Your from Dublin and yet you seem like someone who has never stepped outside Dublin 1. Lots of people on this thread need to go back to school and learn what a kip actually is

• I wonder if actually arming beat cops in Ireland (with tasers even) would help with the anti social behaviour? Like really these guys could give a bollocks about breaking a Garda up since the best they can defend themselves with is an extendable baton, I wonder how many of them would be lining up to throw abuse or worse at the Gardai were they carrying a taser or something.. 🤔

• Advertisement

Dublin is the county attracting the most overseas visitors and tourist spend, followed by Galway, Cork and Kerry, the figures show. Ireland welcomed nine million overseas tourists in 2017, with a combined spend of €4.9 billion, according to the Fáilte Ireland figures.

The administrative counties of Dublin City (91,876 persons), Fingal (46,909) and Cork County (42,002) had the highest numbers of non-Irish nationals in 2016.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭growleaves

National Gallery of Ireland, Chester Beatty Library, Kilmainham Jail, Gaiety Theatre, National Museum, Hugh Lane Gallery, Dublin Castle, Christ Church Cathedral, Croke Park, traditional music pubs (O'Donoughes, Cobblestone) etc.

Dublin, and the whole country, has been oriented around tourism for years.

I was in Sweden once and the OP attacked me and tried to get me to give up my shoes or else he/she would inject me with cancer/aids.

This thread/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

This is gas. Are these small children or teenagers who think this without access to the internet?

I find it hard to believe the many young Brazilians emigrating here and working in tech are looking for thatch cottages to live in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

I suspect some people have never left Ireland in their life... Compared to other major EU cities Dublin is nothing to look at. Spend a week in Berlin and come back to Dublin. The difference is shocking, it's day and night. Some of the coastal parts of Dublin are not so bad at best but that is all I will say about it.

• Advertisement

Very interesting. Can you show me on street view of the filth and the dirt on the streets of Dublin on google street view? I'm in the city centre right now and it's a stunning day, city is clean and looking well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Is it just Dublin that is horrible in comparison to European cities? I mean Cork and Limerick aren't great really, most of our towns and villages are horrible. Is it only Dublin you think is sh*t or all of Ireland?

I have lived in many different countries and now I work in the Baggot St area and the whole extensive around there is just lovely. There's more to Dublin than O'Connell st and its surrounds.

What's so nice about Berlin? I've been there and it's nothing special. Very functional place but not particularly pretty to look at. I'd rate Paris, Amsterdam or Budapest far higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭dmakc

As a resident, can confirm Dublin to be a **** city. Source is the amount of **** I have to avoid on the streets walking to work (D1), and the worry is whether it is dog or human export.

Goes without saying the damage covid has done, but one massive positive is allowing remote workers to get away from the concrete kip.

In fairness how is he going to know where the litter was on the day the Google car happened to be driving around. It's like asking for evidence of junkies on Google Streetview. You won't find them on Google, but everyone knows they are out there.

Lol, who told you that? I can see junkies, business people, office workers, tourists, Gardai, Roma gypsies... the full gamut of the cities dwellers and visitors on google street view at the Spire!! So can you! You can also see the ground, the footpaths and roads and there's a significant lack of the fabled amounts of litter and rubbish. I'm in the city right now and it's clean.

Sorry to burst the hate bubbles boys.

• One thing about Dublin it is very well kept litter wise (proper order ofc)

half this countries a kip anyway, it’s just easy to pick on Dublin cos it’s big. I’d rather visit Dublin any day above say, arklow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

What's that about lack of litter? 🤣

After three days of searching someone found some light rubbish on O'Connell st... Unfortunately, doesn't match the descriptions above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

3 days? I'm just after checking there now. You asked for a google streetview. The images are from July 2021 and you saying there's no litter there now lol.

• Advertisement
Advertisement