Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why is Dublin such a shιtty city?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

if you are homeless you go to a hostel ,its free , free food at soup kitchens , how much does it cost to live here?, not much,

are there not homeless in munich,paris,london, whats the legal definition of a scumbag, ?someone under 40 who wears a hoody and is working class ? you can read articles about people working who are struggling to find any place to rent that they can afford to pay the rent.in the last few years rent has doubled at least for a 1 bed unit.this is not north korea , do you propose sending junkies to a rural area or a prison , every western citys has junkies, is a banker crypto bro that helps corporations pay zero per cent tax by using various loopholes or opening an office in luxembourg not worse than joe bloggs who buys some coke

70s per cent of crypto transactions are used to evade tax or else to launder money by drug dealers criminal gangs and corrupt officials ,

look up crypto washing laundering

why do so many russians buy expensive property in london , cos its a safe place to hide, launder money from criminal transactions and bribes

many bankers officials retired with big bonus,s after 2007 ,they caused a house price crash by foolish reckless lending which left the country with billions in debt which we will be paying for 20 years from now

i would expect new york to look slightly better than dublin considering its one of the worlds richest citys with wall st banks stockbrokers and a location of a giant sector in finance and banking finance https://ngm.com.au/bitcoin-laundering/

Cork is a lovely spot imo. Small but not too small. Close to the sea, close to the countryside. I grew up in the countryside but less than seven miles from Cork city.

Looks great. And a good buzz. In the summer it's fab - even last summer with the Delta variant restrictions. Fantastic restaurants. Love it here. Property prices stupid though.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Freddie Mcinerney

Got €2 so I can head back to Kildare bud?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

There are some beautiful old buildings in dublin and squares with old victorian buildings which are perfectly maintained grafton street looks nice with all the Christmas lights and store displays I've never been in New York so I can't comment on that it seems every week there's a post complaining about homeless people in the city centre

• Registered Users Posts: 15,742 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

And to think that people wanted to demolish Georgian and Victorian Dublin and replace it all with Busarus Lite architecture.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,153 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I found that, while living there there seems to be a lot more really nice people and really horrible people which I found weird. I've had bus drivers get visibly irritated when I asked for a ticket to the city centre and other drivers who gave me free rides and would talk my ear off.

Weird city in some ways. Very much unique in that regard IMO.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

I wonder if that's a legacy of the paramilitaries policing their own areas. The ones up to no good tended to be disciplined by their own community. Acting the maggot attracted unwanted attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

@Jeremy Sproket can you show me the litter strewn on all the streets on google street view please?

What you described could be equally applicable in somewhere like Paris. Some people are friendly, others are total pr1cks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭HBC08

The last few times I was in Dublin I'd be delighted to be dealing with litter around the place rather than the amount of dogshite.Like playing a very grim version of hopscotch trying to get down the street.

Most other cities bigger than Dublin I've lived in or visited don't have this issue on the same scale.Yet another tick in the kip column.

Hey can I have €2 to go to Drogheda? Ah go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Its not. Some Dubs think Dublin is the best place on earth and if you aren't from there you are a thick culchie ejit. well done you were born in the kip called Dublin, have you any other special skills? I have seen them kind of Dubs before laugh at people from the country just because they are from the country, even though they live in a council house in Dublin while the culchie lives in a mansion down the country.

Why are all the non-Dubs the only ones using the term "culchie" to describe themselves on this thread?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,153 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Sure but in my experience it was more pronounced in Dublin.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I find most of Dublin is fine. City center is an utter hole though. I avoid that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Dublin has a fantastic geographical setting. Some stunning scenery. There are total kips of areas and absolutely gorgeous areas. The public transport system is non existent and a disgrace. The amount of dereliction is another disgrace. Oconnell bridge, has tarmac as the finish, in a european capital in a country that is very, very wealthy... The public realm is a disgrace in town... They need far more guards out and about in the city centre... Far more prisons spaces, get them clean, rehabilitate them or if that doesnt work, lock them up...

Calm down John.

People from the country in my experience couldn't give a flying fùck if some loudmouth dub self identified themselves as a w@nker by using the word culchie or if it becomes more evident after further conversation with them.

I'm perfectly calm, others are frothing at the mouth about their capital city and the lack of infrastructure and money put in to it! And they're right, the city has been underfunded, underrepresented, underpoliced and left behind in recent years.

So, to answer my question, why unlike the calmer and less shouty Dubliners on this thread are people like yourself using the word culchie to describe yourselves?

I was born in Dublin and lived there til I was 9.I don't know if I'm a culchie,as mentioned I've been out of Ireland more than I've been in it as an adult,I'm mid 40s now,I certainly wouldnt consider myself a dub.

Anyway,the general consensus on this thread and its various incarnations every few weeks is dublin is a kip.Neither me nor you are going to change that.Sin È.

• Advertisement

Simpleton stuff to say the whole city is a kip.

Born in Dublin and lived there till you're nine? You live abroad more than you've been in it yet you still consider yourself Irish. I'm afraid you're a true blue too!! Not a proud one, but certainly a brother Dub.

The general consensus on these threads is that

A - People don't really know their own capital

and

B - Dublin is underfunded and there's too much money flooding out of the city to support other parts of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Dramatik

You can avoid a lot of those issues by not going into central dublin. If you don't work in the city centre, then there's not really any need to go there. The majority of things can be had elsewhere, in areas where you are less likely to encounter such things. I could do my shopping in the ilac or I could do it in dundrum, it's easy to guess which one of the two I'm more likely to run into those issues that you mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

The city centre is a joke to be fair. Anything outside of 2km or so from the liffey isn't really that bad.

Really no need at all to be going into the city centre these days, not much in there you can't do anywhere else.

It's a bit silly to compare a small city like Dublin to those mega-cities with populations of 10+ million people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭OEP

It's even just the north city centre that's problematic / not nice. From basically college green south is quite nice, and if they'd ever get around to pedestrianizing it and some of the streets between Grafton and Georges Street it would be a really nice area. Unfortunately car parks seem to get priority.

Dublin Zoo, Guinness or Jameson tour, Trinity College/Book of Kells, Grafton Street/Stephen's Green, maybe literary walking tour?

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭PeaSea

What do you call noteworthy ? For me theres a few good (free) museums like the portrait gallery, the book of Kells, Kilmainham gaol is fairly unique, St Stephens is a nice enough place for a break, shopping on Grafton, nice restaurants around these days, niche places like the gallery of photography .... all these things are similar to places to visit in other cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

It's not.

Go away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 otterjotter

I don't agree.

I think Dublin is a great place and I would love to live there.

I currently live in Cork btw.

Advertisement