Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is Dublin such a shιtty city?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

To be fair they are all sh!te compared to what most other capital cities have to offer.

I remember going to a couple of museums in London. Took me a day each to go around them. Had to go out for lunch and come back in and I still hadnt seen the half of it. And they were free too. Did the same in Chicago. Same again in France, but the ones in France cost money.

Dublin zoo would be about the only place in Dublin that I would say is worth a visit for a tourist, if they havent been to a zoo before. After that you have to go out to the likes of Glendalough, The national parks, Cliffs of Moher, or the Giants causeway to get to proper tourist destinations.

Or if you like pubs, Dublin will do, but everywhere has pubs. And walking around Dublin city center at night isnt for the feint hearted.

Dublin city center could be so much nicer if it was policed properly.

Now having said all that I quite like Dublin and there are some lovely places, just not near the city center. Roughly, if you draw a 3km circle with a compass from the Rotunda thats the exclusion zone :)

An yes, the city center and surrounds are fcuking filthy. Anyone who cant see that obviously not only has rose-tinted glasses, but they are blind too.

John_Rambo - Have you ever been to Dublin city center? It doesnt sound like you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Just Some Young Lad

I don't know if it's that much worse than other European cities. People are comparing it to the likes of Paris and London but the populations of those cities individually are greater than that of our entire country. I think if you take cities that have a similar population to Dublin, you'll see that it is inline with some of them, such as Birmingham in the UK or maybe even Brussels to a certain extent.

I agree about it feeling like a dangerous place. I'm not from Dublin, granted, but I have been there for everything from work to trips away, sport events to a day out and honestly, even in the city centre, when it gets dark I feel very uneasy.

I think it's worth remembering that not too long ago we were still an English colony and Dublin was massively impoverished. Maybe it is fair to say that it is lacking behind other capitals but its circumstance and history is vastly different to most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭thefallingman

the problem with this is, look what twelve gardai armed with guns did to a mentally unstable teenager a few months back in front of his family in his front garden, would you trust arming the majority if the minority can't control themselves ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭OEP

Trinity is about 1km from the Rotunda and south of Trinity is nice. I know it doesn't excuse it not being nice, but why does anyone hang around the north city centre. The south city centre is really nice with lots of bars and restaurants. It has a great buzz about it in the evenings.

Some other European cities look much nicer, given the history etc., but can often be boring. For example Brussels, Zurich, Manchester, Birmingham, all Dutch cities except for Amsterdam, most German cities apart from Berlin and Munich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

The main issue is the drug treatment centers concentrated in the North inner-city. Any so called bad areas would have been gentrified years ago otherwise....

What’s the obsession with Berlin? It’s ok, but the bombings leave it with fairly bland post war architecture. For the most part

and as I said before many visitors stay on the south side hotels and travel to grafton street or the dart line.

having a bad area around the train stations is common enough in Germany, though Berlin is ok in that regard. Talbot street is bad but a lot of Europe has bad areas close to the train stations

lol. No you don’t. Howth is 25 minutes on the dart if you like a cliff walk that might have sunshine and visibility. It beats the giants causeway.

its fairly pointless comparing the museums in Dublin to London or Paris. Not surprisingly those two large cities have more museums, Dublin does very well for its size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭growleaves

Dublin can't compare to Lisbon, Rome, Paris, London, Vienna - these were the centres of great empires that conquered the world.

France, Japan, Italy have a culture of beauty not matched everywhere else.

In a lot of Anglo culture griminess and dedication to money-making is usually a point of pride. Think of the big ugly Calvinist money machine that is the US. "Dear dirty Dublin". Manchester another good example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭sporina

you can say the same about any city (except Zurich).. good and bad parts to all - rich/poor side by side..

• Advertisement

I think you are on to something re great European empires. We are a small rock on the edge of Europe that never conquered our own shadow. We have been always invaded by outsiders. I think the British did a decent job of building Dublin back in the day. Then we got independence just as architectural styles took a turn for the worse (Liberty Hall, Townsend St monstrosities).

Hopefully now that we've been relatively prosperous for a bit longer now, that our collective tastes might evolve and the next generation of architects might bring Dublin into the 21st Century.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

there's one on Amiens St but the poor souls who go there daily seem to be harmless. Also much of the north inner city has been "gentrified", there are some lovely apartments in the IFSC and most of the houses in North Strand are privately owned now by professionals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I'm acting the maggot T , I work with addicts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Tourists aren't allowed into the country anymore op with the medical dictatorship running the kip now so don't worry about it OP...

#

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,547 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The KFC in the middle of Camberwell, a few doors down from a swanky boutique hotel, had bulletproof glass between the cashiers/kitchen and the punters. Its exceptionally dodgy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,089 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

There’s something about the word “shιtty“ in the title that keeps making me read “slutty” as I scroll past. It makes me miss Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,874 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I grew up in Dublin City, studied there and spent my formative years & presently work in the city centre chief. 😉

Your London adventures in the free museums sound amazing and I found them amazing too... If (like me) museums, galleries & cultural interests float your boat you should some try the ones in Dublin, the cultural hub of Ireland. Most of them are considered world class. The ones you pay for are very reasonable and are really worth it (particularly the Little museum of Dublin, EPIC museum & Kilmainham Gaol which is a must, it's very cheap & it's an emotional place with a lot of heart for anyone from Ireland). Here's a list of the free ones in Ireland:

The National Gallery of Ireland - Free

The Hugh Lane Gallery - Free

The Chester Beatty Library - Free

The Irish Museum of Modern Art - Free

The National Museum of Ireland - Free

The Bank of Ireland Building - Free

Leinster House - Free

The James Joyce Tower & Museum - Free

The Garda Museum - Free

The Revenue Museum - Free

There's lots more like Trinity that will open up again after the pandemic, or when it's under control.

Anyone can see that I'm more familiar with the city than you are. I can confidently say walking around the city at night is perfectly safe, I do it all the time, in fact millions do and survive. I'm just after walking from Baggot st. to Amiens st. to hop on a bus home with my work camera gear worth €4k in a bag on my back and I didn't get murdered, raped, robbed, beaten, savaged or tormented. I can report that the streets are clean, the city is alive & buzzing, lots of people moving around unharmed & there's no "exclusion zones" (the drama!) or no no-go areas. That's just amusing barstool talk.

Great that you enjoyed the zoo, it's a modernised Victorian classic, certainly not the first place I'd visit in my capital... But if you want some real Irish wildlife head to the nature reserves in Dublin, I work with the Dublin Bay Biosphere, in particular the Bull Island area. PM me if you're truly interested and I'll hook you up with some pointers.

*Don't post back and say you've seen them all, cause you clearly haven't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Dublin has theatres museums concert halls parks I lived in a small town there was no cinemas 7 pubs and that was about it I'm very happy to live In dublin unless you work there you don't lose much by a avoiding the city centre we could do with more Gardai on the streets its probably the fact we do not have the funding of a city like new York most of Dublin is fine I avoid certain places near a O'Connell street

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

That’s complete and total BS.

Every major capital has a bigger problem with this than Dublin. Especially Paris, Amsterdam, Brussels and Berlin.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I have actually been to them all apart from the Bank of Ireland building. Each of them took about half an hour to go around.

Kilmainham Gaol was good, for a school tour. Went there as an adult then and it was boring. The rest are pretty **** too. The dead zoo was great when you are a kid, but fairly sh!t to go see again.

Im from Dublin, lived and worked in the city center for about 25 years up until a few years ago. Live about 15km from the city center now though.

I dont think you've been to Dublin city center at all tbh.

If you have that much of a rosy tint, you've definitely not been there. Do you seriously think there are no dangerous areas in Dublin? Well you are the only one in the country who thinks that.

I think what we have in this thread is akin to Joe O'Reillys parents thinking he didnt murder his wife. People who just cant see outside of their own heads.

• Advertisement

I agree with you there. Look, I like Dublin, and I think its a lovely city. Its the 3 km circle around the top of O'Connell street that could be so nice, but its a neglected sh!thole that no tourist is going to go home with good reports about. If you see it every day you are somewhat used to it, but a tourist will notice it. And the people saying that tourists tell them they love Dublin, well thats like you telling the wife her bum doesnt look fat when she asks you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭OEP

Define dangerous. The north city centre isn't dangerous, are there elements that aren't nice to look at? Yes but that doesn't make the place dangerous. There are dangerous areas in Dublin but I wouldn't class the city centre as one of them.

But like Grafton St, Merrion Square, the South William St area, all of these nice places are less than 3km from O'Connell St?!

I sais top of o'connell street. Rotunda to be exact. Yes there are one or two nice places in that 3km circle. There are many, many not so nice places in that circle.

Ah come on now. Get real. The North inner city is dangerous. Cant believe you have to be told that.

I know personally two people personally who were mugged in the last year in Dublin city center. Both women. You can read the papers to find out about even more crimes in Dublin. Ive seen so many videos of toerags tearing up the city and troubling people just out for a drink or a meal in the city center. Surely youve seen them too. Not too hard to find. Lookup youtube under Dublin wildlife or something like that. I dont personally know anyone who was ever mugged anywhere else in Ireland apart from the city center.

Just for the craic i google crime in Dublin city and here is the first link.

"THE ENCOUNTER WE WITNESS comes less than a week after more than 140 local residents attended a crisis meeting about an upsurge in violent crime. Held online, it came following two fatal knife attacks in the area in recent weeks and in response to growing “fear, anxiety and deep sadness at what is happening”, says Noel Wardick, chief executive of the Dublin City Community Co-operative.

What is happening? Residents, community activists and youth workers all agree that a sense of increased drug-related violence, threat and intimidation in recent months has brought heightened fear to the area.

A report published last month, Debts, Threats, Distress and Hope: Towards Understanding Drug-Related Intimidation in Dublin’s North East Inner City, said almost a quarter of people here had experienced drug-related intimidation. More than 80 per cent saw it as an issue but less than one in five would report it.

The report said open dealing and low-level intimidation were normal, making the area feel unsafe and causing people to change their routines, avoid areas, stop letting children play outdoors, and to withdraw and cut off contacts with others in their community.

Of the 23 per cent who said they had experienced drug-related intimidation, 67 per cent had been threatened with physical harm; 53 per cent had been followed or tracked; 45 per cent had been threatened with vandalism of their property – including with pipe bombs – and 12 per cent threatened with sexual violence."

The whole of Dublin 2 and all the nice places within it is within 3km and even some of the leafier parts of Dublin 4. Your bearings are way off.

I think it's dangerous by Irish standards. Which mean it's not particularly dangerous by European standards and Safe by world standards.

I spent 20 years going out in Dublin and never had a problem. One fella threw a dig at me and missed.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

So much of the city is smothered in horrible cement, rust and algae. The Dublin Civic Trust are doing great work to beautify the place

I think you are struggling there :)

So there are a few nice parts of Dublin withing 3km of the rotunda. A huge proportion of that is sh!t town im sure you'll agree.

If someone likes art (which not everyone does and that's fine) they can appreciate that NGI and Hugh Lane are very good galleries with collections that include paintings from European masters.

In the portrait section of NGI they have originals by Reynolds and Gainsborough.

The person who is bored by that is going to be just as bored at Manchester Art Gallery, the London National Portrait Gallery etc so the argument is very weak here imo.

Not sure what the obsession with the Rotunda is but Hugh Lane and the Gate Theatre are around the corner. Again, you should first ask yourself if you even like looking at paintings and going to plays before you rubbish these particular places.

• Advertisement

No I quite like the city centre , but it's an odd thing to say that 3km of the rotunda is horrible, given the nicest parts of the city centre are within 3km of the rotunda

I just picked the rotunda as the centerpoint of a 3km circle where most of the sh!t hole parts of Dublin can be found. Little did I know that people would be on pointing out the few nice places within that circle to boost there argument that there are no sh!t areas of the city.

There is a violence problem in D1 which is why the Guards have started Operation Citizen because it was getting out of hand. That seems to be bearing fruit now.

Apart from that there is a bit of (relative) poverty but it's not exactly Calcutta. There are a "few nice places" even in your highly localised example of the worst area, what does that tell you.

The actual worst areas like Jobstown and Ballyfermot are completely self-contained and outsiders never have any reason to go there. Some aggro along the canal going through Bluebell, just don't cycle that way.

OK, I can see people are blind to it. Simple fact of the matter is I could take you walking within a few moniutes from O'Connell street around places where you wouldnt want to be left on your own. Lots of them. Sure, we could walk to some nice places as well, but nice places are not the issue, its the bad places that are the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Jobstown is rough but I would definitely consider the north inner city worse. Neither are no go zones though.

I think you need to draw a 3km circle around the Rotunda to understand how ridiculous that is.

Phoenix Park, Iveagh Gardens, Merrion Square, Stephens Green, Trinity College, Christchurch, St Patricks Cathedral..... and many more.

they/them/theirs

Name the bad places in there. Go on, i dare you :)

You'll be typing far longer.

Define "bad places"?

Places I wouldn't walk at nigh? Zero. Places I would steer tourists away from: Talbot Street, Sean McDermott St

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,874 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The National Museum of Ireland in half an hour? The bog bodies alone take half an hour.

You're spoofing. I don't think you've been to any of them. You haven't a clue about the city or what it has to offer! I'm in the North inner city all the time and have never been harmed, not once, bringing the kids in on Saturday to see the lights, do the shopping and go for some food. I'll make a bet with you. I bet you €1000 that nothing dangerous will happen to us.

• Advertisement

There is nowhere in the city centre I wouldn't walk at night. My ex girlfriend has lived in the North Inner City for years, nothing has ever happened to her, current girlfriend has a place in the North Strand, never any trouble.

The f*cking hysteria with Irish people being terrified of tracksuits or blocks of flats is just ridiculous. I used to walk through Sheriff St to get to my ex's place all the time, which was a no go zone maybe in the early 90s, now it's absolutely fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Nope, your just deciding to make things up now. I've walked around the area your talking about thousands of times and although it's not pretty I've never been attacked.

• Honestly this thread should be nuked from orbit.

its so depressing to read. Just have a look about how you’re talking about our capital city ffs. Making up ridiculous lies about how it’s “so dangerous”

lads, I was just turned 18, skinny chap when I was with the now Mrs, we’d been to George’s arcade and I bought her a Pikachu hat (we like Pokémon, sue me) and we’re walking down temple bar if I recall correctly.

a group of people who I guess were junkies? Unfortunate looking souls anyway. But one of them yelled at the mrs she was a “carebare”. I was no having this & asked him what he said? You know, “sorry what was that?”

~~so anyway he came down and stabbed me~~

no wait that wasn’t it, yeah he squared up to me, realised I wasn’t afraid of him and fucked off with his tail between his legs muttering about how he “never said anything about ur burd”.

the city isn’t dangerous. Half the junkies y’all are so afraid of are soft and wouldn’t have the wherewithal to land a slap let alone the courage to attempt one.

honestly just a bunch of soft eejits who read the paper too much and don’t have any real life experience. My folks said to me once going to Dublin, themselves wouldn’t visit too often and live in the country, “careful you don’t get stabbed up there”. That was 12 years ago, I’ve been to Dublin 100’s of time since and never even so much as been scratched by a thorny bush, never mind stabbed.

ye need to grow up and get out more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

Searching methadone cliinic on Google maps it looks like there are six drug /methadone treatment centers in the north inner city and at least two in the south inner city.

I'm familiar with Dublin inner city , it's always had a problem with addicts hanging around since at least the 80s. It's not the only problem it has but it's definitely held back things on the north inner side and it's sad to see things haven't improved much, apart from the docklands I guess.

It’s funny that you take methadone clinics as a bad thing. The more the better I say. I grew up in Killenaden in Tallaght, the methadone program opening there was a good send.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

I was getting a taxi from town down towards Sandyford recently and the taxi driver was telling me stories from his days "down the country with the culchies". Before I got out of the taxi, I finally asked him which county it was that he lived in, assuming that it would been somewhere like Kerry or Mayo. "Kildare" he says.

• Advertisement

Most people would prefer not to be squared up to by a junkie though..

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Maybe people living in Dublin just haven't being fortunate enough to experience not having to deal with junkies anywhere & everywhere, I cant think of any other reason how they don't see it as a problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭DullSpark

Same, would rather not have confrontation at all in the first place.

Buildings are unattractive and worn looking. The city is dirty and littered with junkies/homeless. Whats weird as well is that all the scumbags up there wear top of the range designer clothes(predominantly fake) which adds to the cities tackiness.

However, outside of the city centre I would not feel like my safety is in danger and areas such as Dalkey and Dun Laoghaire are quite pleasant.

A metro system or more luas lines would definitely do the city a favour.

I'm not trying to trigger anyone but Limerick city is worse.

Cork is by far Irelands most attractive city and will compete with Dublin economically in the future

Post edited by DullSpark on

Dublin 2 & 4 are very nice. There are nice areas in the north side too, such as Howth and Phibsborough. Anything around O'Connell Street is quite dire though. The areas around DCU are awful too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,505 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The areas around DCU are awful too.

Which areas?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
Advertisement