Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Dublin such a shιtty city?

Options
1394041424345»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

There is always the possibility that Irish voters might eventually figure out what most European voters figured out a long time ago - that a housing policy based on people taking on huge amounts of debt is a dumb idea and look at actual solutions that might work such as a proper rental sector, active decentralization, a comprehensive public transport system etc… but I would not count on it, the pain needs to get a lot worse before that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,785 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Public transport, public facilties, footpaths, roads, traffic management etc. All of these things are light years ahead in places like Spain compared to Ireland, so I don't really see the point in comparing Irish urban areas to Spain or Germany, we have a lot of catching up to do and were never powerful rich empires that built beautiful well managed cities.

For those of you scared to go near the street hopefully this will make you more comfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Not nearly enough! One incident and they will all be tied up for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Have you been to these places?

Or just tourists areas? Dublin, Cork, wherever are nowhere near perfect, but taking from your post they aren't backwards.

• Advertisement

I agree with you, I was responding to someone saying Madrid was so amazing compared to Dublin. It has amazing public transport and public squares etc but it also has a full on shanty town and hookers all over Puerto del Sol etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Theres usually 1 or gardai at the gpo, also close to the gpo theres a large garda mobile station , 24,7 ,

in dublin we have luas, dublin bus, and various bike services .most beggars sit on the ground with a cup in front for donations, you can ignore them if you want to . its well known in many citys the services for homeless are very limited , if you are homeless in dublin you ,ll get offered accomodation even if its in a hostel .theres no large area,s in dublin wheres theres 100s of homeless sleeping in tents.

i presume traffic levels have fallen since so many people work from home .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Luas inspectors who will happily fine the PAYE worker who forgot their tax saver ticket (fair n’uff) yet walk past aggressive gougers to check the office worker who looks like they won’t talk back.

Anytime I posted this I get told the gougers are on a free travel pass so point in checking them. Workers are regulars commuters to 5 days a week and yet no hesitation from checkers to walk past gowls and ask for the ticket from the person off to work. Anything for an easy life

The customer charter they display on the Luas is lies

they get paid f**k all, I can't blame them for not wanting to deal with scumbags who haven't paid. Thankfully most people do pay. Unless there was some kind of transport police this will just always be the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Back in 2019 when I used to take the early-evening Kylemore to Four Courts semi-regularly there was often as not an anti-evasion hit squad and one soon developed a sixth-sense of who was going to be pulled off the train for lack of ticket. Dunno about post-Covid but back then the Luas often had private security teams on it as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement