Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will you be taking a booster?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,949 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

No booster: Potential to die horribly from a preventable disease. Wander around asymptomatic for awhile, infecting people you think you might care about, though I question that line of thinking from someone that won't take the vaccine or the booster. Long-term Covid possibility with life limiting conditions.

Booster. Greatly reduced likelihood of dying horribly from preventable disease. Don't wander around asymptomatically infecting people you contact, including those you think you might care about. Greatly reduced likelihood of long Covid.

So, how is not taking the booster the 'sensible' choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The vast majority of people don't get flu jabs and there's likely to be a level of complacency and to some extent indifference about boosters. There are already anecdotal reports of it taking longer to persuade people to get another jab, hair appointments getting in the way says the CMO. We are not going to get anywhere near 93% on boosters, especially with far younger healthier people who statistically at least at risk from COVID. An overall booster total of over 70% will be good. It should be high in older and more at risk groups but it would not be surprising at all to find it at 50% or under for some younger cohorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Your assuming here that the only or primary benefit of taking the vaccine is keeping yourself out of hospital. But this is to miss the whole point about vaccination against infectious disease; it's primarily done not to keep you out of hospital or to confer any particular benefit on you, but to confer benefits on other people; to protect them from becoming infected by contact with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

People think in different ways, this is just one way to look at things.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

There is two ways of looking about the vaccine. I'm young & healthy so I'm alright Jack or I a concerned about the risk I bring to my family home. My mother, father etc. Plenty of otherwise healthy under 40s ended up in hospital & even ICU from covid. Some have dies too. Youngest I can remember was a 15 year old in the last few months. I'm not willing to be one that puts pressure on our health system. I don't want people with other ailments not to get the treatment they need just because I didn't want a jab.

Here's the thing, if you took two doses of the vaccine, what is the issue taking a 3rd or 4th. Now all of a sudden to be afraid of a vaccine you took twice? Vaccine passports are being updated. Last dose will have to be within the last 6 months to have a valid passport that will scan. If you don't get 3rd shot by March or so then you will not have a valid passport for eating, drinking indoors or possibly flying out of the country.

I went to Egypt for holiday a few years ago. We got every vaccine recommended by the doctor. We were to go to Peru last year & again had all the recommended shots. Unfortunately the trip has been cancelled till the madness ends

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Well I'm not concerned about covid myself, so thats not a factor for me.

And the vaccine doesn't prevent transmission, so I still have to avoid people anyway.

And if the two jabs I have aren't working then what is the point of a 3rd?

And do I have any respect for the NPHET government or engagement with what they are doing? Absolutely not.

2+2 = Shove your booster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,803 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I'll take it when I'm offered although I think I'd prefer another dose of Astra rather than a different one, but that's not going to happen.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Got the booster a few weeks ago. WiFi has not improved. Getting a Covid test today as a close contact. Hopefully the booster has worked.

I was recently reading and article that says the astra zeneca vaccine is only effective for 96 days. Not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

This isn't really a matter of "different ways to look at things". It's objectively true that vaccination confers a measure of protection on people who are, for whatever reason, not themselves vaccinated; that's how herd immunity works. Whether the individual being vaccinated knows or cares about this doesn't change the objective fact.

Someone who approaches the question of whether to be vaccinated purely in terms of the benefits it confers on them is implicitly saying that they do not care about, or do not accept responsibility for, the consequences their choice may have for other people. That is, as you say, one way to look at things, but I'm sure we can agree that it's not a particularly admirable way. It's pretty selfish.

If the question becomes whether the government should encourage or require people to be vaccinated, then obviously the government is primarily concerned with the benefits of vaccination for the community at large. So they should definitely be taking account both of the protection conferred on the person who is vaccinated, and on the protection conferred on everyone around them. It would be bizarre to suggest otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,978 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the vaccine doesnt stop you from catching the virus, if it did then there would be no need for boosters and we'd be out of this whole mess

it greatly reduces the risk of you getting very ill

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Shelfie

No you're wrong there.

I also want to see the statitistcs on transmission reduction and efficacy.

I'm not worried about being hospitalised or dying.

So transmission will be the key metric in my decision

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I mean it probably has some effect on transmission but it looks like it's pretty negible tbh so that protecting others doesn't really apply. It's doing a good job of protecting hospitalisations, for a while anyway, so at that point it really should be opt in so that the vulnerable can take it and anyone else who wants it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I will probably take this one, but I am very sceptical about how long it will remain effective for.And if it starts becoming a booster every 6 months or so, I'll be questioning that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

But just because your vaccinated doesnt mean you wont bring the virus home!

Less likely but that percentage difference in spreading the virus if vaxed or not vaxed seems to be lessening all the time so the idea that you arent spreading it by being vaccinated is... well... The viral load for unvaxxed and vaxxed is the same at its peak only unvaxxed spend a slightly longer time at their peak

Our health service has been under pressure for decades,

So what have we done since 2017, or actually since early 2020 in our hospitals?

Ive no issue with vaccinations, will probably get the booster but my head is screaming at me, whats the point? Im still going to spread this disease by living normally and im not going to get sick from this, ive had it.

If anything a booster is wasted on me, still going to spread it, not going to get sick or need hospital so again, whats the point?

Having said that i probably will get it because we seem to be happy to welcome apartheid rather than question why and ask the hard questions of those who have spent billions of euros of our money for decades but still run a third world country health service whilst earning mouth wateringly huge salaries of their own!

"decent health service!!! nah just stick that jab in your arm there now if you want to have a cup of coffee and shut up!"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

This, it appears to have a minimal enough effect on transmission.And we know we can't eradicate it, so really you are just taking a booster to protect yourself, it doesn't really contribute to herd immunity

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

No, I'll take my chances with Covid. A few friends and colleagues have had Covid and I was more ill from each jabs than than any of them were from this "deadly" disease.

I'm interested in the stats and the science.

I'll make my decisions based on those.

I won't be taking part in a vaccine merry go round without sufficient evidence to back it up.

Having Covid doesn't mean you won't get it again.

tl;dr: vaccinated are much less likely to transmit.

Long read: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/09/the-vaccinated-arent-just-as-likely-to-spread-covid/620161/

"I'm not worried..." bollocks. Go read any of the death-from-covid sites out there, would you want that? Versus taking a vaccine? If you're not worried, your heads in the sand (or worse, you're a lying anti-vaxxer)

• Advertisement

But I got the two jabs and happily did so.

Yet now, not getting boosters every 6 months will be considered selfish. Wow.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Yeah, I'll take it, I get the flu jab annually so will just roll along with this for now.

I'm still relieved its not a decision I need to make for my smallies as they are currently under the age for it and I'd rather it stay that way for now, they are at very little (if any) risk from the current strains circulating.

The statistics don't back up the need for double jabbed people under 45 to be worried. I'm sorry that's just the data.

Of course, you could be very unlucky as with so many things in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Never said it did, in fact i expect that i will in all honesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭brickster69

Booked in for next week for mine. So yep, seems to be showing promise

All roads lead to Rome.

Feel free to present your mystery data. I've shared some (and the Atlantic article linked to some excellent NYC data.) So, what's the cost of Covid illness to an under 45? What is the likelihood of under-45 spreading it unboosted versus boosted?

Booster programs just started, FYI, so data might be hard to come by. But there's plenty of data on how bad it is to die from Covid.

Basically, your point seems to be "I can't be bothered since I was double jabbed and I'm under 45." Is that right? And you're advocating the same for others under 45, even though you have no data, pro or con?

In the US, depending on the severity, it's pretty scary. In Ireland I'm sure it's very expensive but good luck pulling data from the walking failure that is the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭PicardWithHair

No, and I got my 2 jabs last year.

The only way i'll get it is if I have to for travel - which will probably be the case ... so yes, I am forced to get it by the EU medical dictatorship we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭PicardWithHair

Yes and remember it's not giving us any freedoms back, just look at the EU now, going/gone back into lockdown.

Only a matter of time for Ireland ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Why do you think they are not effective? What numbers are you looking at to decide that and what numbers would you need to see to decide they are effective?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭kg703

Yes, I'll take it. Not due one for a few months Id say though. One issue Ill have to ask my GP is if I can get a different one because I was so sick after the second, I really dont want to go through that again.

Advertisement