Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you be taking a booster?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Luke O'Neill? Don't make me laugh. 11 months eh. Is it suddenly a magic booster jab now? If the first two jabs apparently only last around or under six months and they thought it would be longer how does he figure that a booster is going to give double that protection time? Crystal ball?

Well actually it doesn't mutate particularly fast, thank feck. It's not like the influenza viruses. Actually given that we're vaccinating with a leaky vaccine in the middle of a pandemic I'm quite surprised it hasn't come up with a variant that is immune to that protein spike of the vaccine, because what we're doing is introducing strong selection pressures on the virus. The problem seems to be that coronaviruses are little bastards at evading our immune systems and lmmunity isn't retained for long with the current vaccines and/or natural infection. But again it depends on the studies you read. Like I noted earlier just before the whole we need boosters stuff came out from Pfizer mostly, J&J released their studies which showed immunity remained robust in both antibody and immune memory up to eight months and even increased over time. A fortnight later they were "ah but sure a booster will improve that even more". I'm smelling a rat somewhere, from someone.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 oookkkaaayyy

I'm double jabbed and I'll take 1 booster to "protect the grannies" then that's it. After that, the grannies and immunocompromised need to restrict their movements when possible and let the rest of society return to normal. The Rona is here to stay get used to it. By the time these latest restrictions and a possible lockdown end, we'll be roughly two years into this mess, enough is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,008 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I'm double vaccinated 40 years of age, I had covid about a month ago. Slight head cold for 2 days. A normal hangover is 10 times worse. Why would I need a booster if it doesn't stop transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I'd take a booster, but the incompetents issuing the certs here haven't figured out a way to issue them to anyone vaccinated outside Ireland or the UK yet, so as far as the Irish system is concerned I'm one of the <10% dirty unvaccinated scumbags despite being fully vaccinated since July. As a result, if I get a booster here when it's my age group's turn, I'll only be half vaccinated as far as the system here is concerned.

I asked the helpline recently and was helpfully informed that I might be able to get a cert sometime this month. Maybe. If I'm lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Just my own experience on the boosters ….

I’m mid 40’s and was offered the booster on the 28th of October on the basis of a now 10 year old serious illness I suffered but long since fully 100% recovered from.

Just for clarity … I’m in perfect health. Fitness level is at amateur athlete standard with 5k jogs four days per week , ideal BMI etc

I declined the “offer” for 3 reasons. (1) there’s people in their 60’s & 70’s who are still to get their booster and I’d feel like a dick skipping ahead of them (2) I’m only barely 3 months after my 2nd vaccine shot so what is the point of a booster as I’m already fully protected. (3) There’ll be no point queuing at vac centre for this booster when ill be able to get it in a pharmacy once my cohort is being called.

Has anyone else 40’s or younger on this thread been called up for boosters yet ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,460 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

There's no supply issue anymore, so skipping isn't really a thing. However, it's not worth getting before 6 months, probably longer if you're fit and healthy and not "really" in a vulnerable group anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Donnelly tweeted tonight you can do it online at the government Covid cert site. It has to be one of the variety on offer in Ireland though . I’vw not gone through it but assume if you have the batch numbers you’re grand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Thanks for the reply , I agree it’s not because of supply however it may be a lack of manpower to administer the booster that’s now causing a delay. That or maybe mismanagement.

I’ve loads of relations and mates parents who have yet to be called.

On your 2nd point yes , I’ll be waiting till my 6 months is up. Illogical to do otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,869 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

My other half got his today (health care worker) big queues he was waiting two hours. They are very strict on the 6 month thing. A lady who was 2 days before the 6 month ago in front of him was turned away.

Also bizarrely a lot of people turning up because of a fake WhatsApp message going around saying you can just turn up without an appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 BigAndy21

They have to convince the unjabbed that the first two work and they must take it while trying to convince the double jabbed that the first two haven't worked so they'll take the booster. All at the same time. I don't think our "leaders" have thoroughly thought this through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

People are waking up to the nonsense here. They don't want boosters cos they don't want endless injections of an experimental vaccine with no long term planning of any sort by this utterly hopeless directionless government. 

Let's just get vaxxed up endlessly and hope for the best seems to be the plan according to the government... How anybody would want a booster after what has been said and done over the last 24 hours is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

It's refreshing to see this, glad to see people are waking up to this nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭PicardWithHair

losing taste and smell ?

You think this will prevent it ? Every single human on the planet will get covid in the next few years .... fact.

It's endemic and here to stay.

Or do you think booster #3234 will finally beat it ?

Unvaccinated or Vaccinated I love you all. My worry is though for many many people all it takes is a sit down meal in Supermacs and an acoustic performance from Luke O'Neil on the telly to convince them to take the 10th booster and on and on we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭fits

I don’t really understand why people find the taking of a booster vaccine so oppressive. Like it’s free and you have a choice. I take a booster flu vaccine every year and it’s no big deal. I’m probably due a tetanus too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

It would be totally immoral for people outside if high risk groups to take a booster when half the world still haven't received a single shot. It's not like boosters for the sub 60 healthy will have a significant impact on spread. Pure first world gross entitlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Deregos.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

They'll be lucky to get 60% booster take up imo. People have had enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

will take if i need it top up the cert to allow access to some sort of life. if there is much more restrictions and everywhere closed i wont see any benefit of the cert to me and wont get it.

We don't lockdown society over flu vaccines etc. People are literally being conditioned to view there bodily freedom as selfish. Varadker and Pat Kenny calling to lockdown the unvaxxed. Absolutely disgusting and divisive. Scary similarities to how a certain group of people were treated in the 1940's

• Advertisement

• Yes, I will be taking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Tbf Pat Kenny has always been a knob. Not sure why his opinion on anything would effect anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Please show the evidence where these vaccines are shown to prevent transmission.

They we're not developed to prevent/reduce transmission, their sole purpose is to prevent serious illness.

I believe it is this misunderstanding that is partly to blame for our current predicament. So many people blindly believe being vaccinated prevents transmission and thus aren't taking the necessary precautions; hand washing, social distancing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,446 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

But it does significantly inhibit spread. To me it's a no brainer. Why allow my protection to wane further if I can get it back up to 90%+

Necessary precautions like hand washing? The only thing more washed then hands the passed two years is brains.

This booster now is 100% effective as Fauci would say but what he actually means is 100% effective at boosting the pockets of Big Pharma.

Research Isreal, they are on the 4th booster. Research Sweden where they never even had a lockdown.

Moderna banned in France, Aztra Zenica banned in over 100 countries and now our children will roll up der sleeves. It really is insane. I'm absolutely stunned

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

My understanding is that you weren’t offered a booster, you were offered a 3rd dose as you were identified as being immunocompromised and offered a 3rd dose to allow for the same amount of protection that people who are not immunocompromised get with 2 shots.

This 3rd shot can be given from 2 months following the 2nd dose and those individuals will be invited for their boosters 6months from the date of their 3rd dose

And drunk so ignore me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭kittensmittens

This week alone, I spoke with 2 people. One, a guy whose brother got the second jab. 56yr old guy. No side effects from the first apart from the sore arm. Second jab, 10 days later, took unwell. Heart failure and died.

Second was a lady whose sister was 61. No previous serious medical history. 6 days after second dose, massive heart attack. Died.

I can only assume that these two people were not psychopaths and were telling the truth regarding their loved ones deaths.

Advertisement