Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will you be taking a booster?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

whats normal or normality, in relation to a new virus, that will probably always be in circulation?

government decisions are based on the progress of this virus, its sole reason for existing is to kill as many humans as possible, hence for such decisions, so id say its truly the virus thats actually in control and moving 'goalposts'

...and yes, i ll snap up that booster as soon as i can....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

its sole reason for existing is to kill as many humans as possible

FFS, where's a facepalm smiley when you need one. No that is NOT it's sole reason for existing. It's not even a reason. A virus actual sole reason for existence is to reproduce as efficiently as possible. Killing people is a side effect and one Covid is remarkably shíte at doing. Indeed the perfect virus would be highly infectious and cause few or no obvious symptoms, spreading silently in the background, happily making little copies of itself. Obvious symptoms and death are detrimental to any virus as it kills their host and makes potential hosts keep away so limits their ability to reproduce.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,636 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

If its offered i don't see why not, i really hope it doesn't have the same side affects as the 2nd jab though, that was an awful 24 hours for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

felt like shite after the first, no problems on the second, seems different for many

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Seems to be. Just going by friends and family, a tiny sample group of course, the one that had the fewest side effects was the J&J, the Pfizer the most, the AZ somewhere in the middle but closer to the Pfizer. One guy I know had one of the Pfizer and point blank said no way to the second as the first really buggered him up. His wife had bad enough side effects, but milder. His older kids had none. There does seem to be some resistance to the notion of boosters for a few of the above and none are close to being anti vaccination types. With some it's just general virus panic fatigue kicking in, with others the ones that had the side effects it's more to do with that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's relevant to how health authorities persuade people to take vaccines and now boosters. It applied very clearly when we had no protection against it. Now, though, with a combination of 20 months experience of the virus and statistics of risk very strongly skewed towards the vulnerable and older groups it's far harder to persuade people of the benefits of a booster. We've already seen this come up in the 12-15 vaccinations where up to 40% remain unvaccinated because statistics identify them as having an extremely low risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭bladespin

I doubt I'd take the booster if offered, unless I genuinely felt at risk, only my opinion but I think the vaccine itself (if it works) should be enough for several years bar you're high risk case or operate in high risk areas etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,202 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Indeed, do no harm is a first principle and people will weigh up their risks. Under 60, reasonably fit and healthy - why bother taking further injections?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,914 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭thefallingman

i'm honestly undecided, have been double jabbed so not anti vax but just feel what's the point, the numbers are so high anyway will it really make any difference at all, but then who knows what restrictions are going to come back, and they are coming back make no bones about it.

• Advertisement

Which can be countered by what's the need? One of the issues of the blanket use of boosters is that you are just wasting them on people who don't need them; in other words giving them unnecessary drugs.

There's always a risk, it just depends on how you weight it, there are some who thought their vaccine side affects (though mild enough) were worse than when they actually had Covid (or at least tested positive).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I will.

I was vaccinated in the North, and will be arranging an appt in a pharmacy when I get a free day over the next couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭howiya

I'll get it when it's made available. Don't have any strong feelings on it either way. Just hope they don't amend the covid pass requirements while we're in the queue for the vaccine.

Last sentence.

The vaccine helps prevent serious illness which in turn will keep hospital admissions down and ease pressure on the available ICU beds.

I would consider that helping others.

I will be taking a booster when offered, and every time its needed until a more long term vaccine is developed. Flu jabs are annual. The pneumonia jab I think is twice, five years apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Which is why those who are most at risk should get boosters. I would even go as far as those most in need in other countries should be prioritised ahead of those who are at little or no risk

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

I’ll probably catch covid at some stage and will view this infection as my booster.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,951 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Most definitely. We have covid in our house this week.

I'm vaccinated with a host of underlying issues - ashtma, Barrets oesophagus and eosinopholic oesophagus (ashtma of the oesophagus) - and I'm sitting here with only a mild headache the last couple days. Just took a long walk in the country and not a bother.

Partner - unvaccinated - struggling in bed the last 3 days with no underlying issues. Extremely sick but fortunately breathing not particularly bad. Worrying none the less. Opinion on vaccines has dramatically changed.

As it stands, for the moment boosters are only being offered to certain groups.

But I believe they will eventually be offered to everyone, and unless medically unable to be vaccinated / boostered, should be.

Nonsense. You can't determine a priori that they're unnecessary. And, as a real health department (the CDC in the US) has just come out recommending boosters for all adults in the US, I think Ireland should follow suit. What data do they have in Ireland that refutes what the CDC is now saying? None. Just fear of the media is all.

• Advertisement

So, no risk then? Because you've not quantified it, where the risk from Covid is well known. And, of course, anecdotes are not data.

No but you can prioritise groups you know are at risk. Statistically if you're under 40 and healthy you're at very low risk from COVID and there's a high probability you don't need a booster. The US has under 60% fully vaccinated, probably a lot lower in some places, so it's no surprise that they have done so. There is no widespread agreement on the value of boosters and as has been stated many times doses in people without any protection, half the world, would be a whole lot better.

Yes, the risk for Covid is well known, for many it's practically no risk at all, hence the decision.

The decision itself is yours and no-one else's, you have to be happy with your own choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,781 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You’d like vaccines to be sent from here to people in other countries first ? Before people here ?

Not very fair on taxpayers here... who pay for the vaccines and for whom some might actually be life saving.

ill take a booster if offered it... I’m almost 9 months fully vaccinated... aside from a little fatigue in the 24 hours after the first shot there hasn’t been any adverse reactions... to either vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭growleaves

If you believe that averaged outcomes of statistical data are the only valid form of knowledge then that's a choice you've made.

Sackett defined Clinical Epidemiology as being done "by a physician who provides direct patient care". IOW particular experience ("anecdotes") should hold more weight than any other considerations.

It's up to each person if they want to regard themselves as a statistical aggregate or take their own personal health, fitness, and circumstances into consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,239 ✭✭✭✭fits

yes I’d like to see vulnerable people in other countries and healthcare workers vaccinated before Id take a third.

Physician experience as part of an organized study is central to evidence-based medicine. The anecdotes, for example, are presented earlier in the thread with 'people felt worse from the vaccine than when they had covid' or whatever it was; no link to a study, no data, ambiguous sources, i.e., no better than a lad down the pub.

Here's one for you: Getting a covid vaccine reduces your risk for non-Covid related illnesses and death.

This cohort study found lower rates of non–COVID-19 mortality among vaccinated persons compared with unvaccinated persons in a large, sociodemographically diverse population during December 2020–July 2021. 

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7043e2.htm

Got any data to back up your assertion that it's 'practically no risk at all?' Inquiring overworked morticians want to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,781 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

vaccines are transported in batches so if ‘your’ booster vaccine is going off to Sierra Leone or wherever, so are hundreds of others...depriving others here too...

• Advertisement

So you're saying there's scientific proof that there's absolutely no risk with vaccines and boosters; there's no risk of a side effect mild or otherwise???

That's not anecdotal that's utter BS, there's always risk, even the injection carries a risk itself.

Advertisement