Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Will you be taking a booster?

• 18-11-2021 6:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭ Real Donald Trump

This question goes out those who took the 2 jabs? Will you you take it to get back to normality? Or are you sick of the government moving the goalposts constantly?

Comments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,837 ✭✭✭✭ Gael23

Not if more restrictions come in g

• Registered Users Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭ Allinall

I'll get one for health reasons, if recommended.

Nothing to do with government/ restrictions/ conspiracy theories etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Shelfie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭ Cloudio9

Israel don't consider you fully vaccinated if it's more than 6 months since 2nd dose so won't be a surprise if we go same direction. Main motivation for me to get it would be to facilitate international travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭ fits

I would but I’d like to see vaccines made available for vulnerable people in other countries first. But if offered it I will take it not least because illness and isolating is very disruptive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭ eggy81

Kind of torn. Don’t want to lose liberties or spread this thing around to vulnerable people. On the other hand I got second jab on 27 July and wasn’t 100% again until middle of September. Still getting bouts of tinnitus which I never suffered before getting it. I don’t quite trust that they’re perfectly safe long term. Rightly or wrongly. It’s just how I’m feeling about them. I’ll see what way it’s lying when it gets closer to my time for booster.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 59,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Wibbs
    Wibbed for your pleasure.

The pfizer vaccine works well enough and it clearly gives protection from serious illness and death and has reduced the number of casualties from this pox. That's not in any sort of reasonable doubt. The problem is immunity seems to wane after a few months. A while back J&J released results of their various trials including a six month South African trial which showed their vaccine held up well over time and against Delta. One of their announcements here.

Today’s newly announced studies reinforce the ability of the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine to help protect the health of people globally,” said Paul Stoffels, M.D., Vice Chairman of the Executive Committee and Chief Scientific Officer at Johnson & Johnson. “We believe that our vaccine offers durable protection against COVID-19 and elicits neutralizing activity against the Delta variant. This adds to the robust body of clinical data supporting our single-shot vaccine’s ability to protect against multiple variants of concern.” “Current data for the eight months studied so far show that the single-shot Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine generates a strong neutralizing antibody response that does not wane; rather, we observe an improvement over time. In addition, we observe a persistent and particularly robust, durable cellular immune response,”

Then a couple of weeks after Pfizer was going on about boosters J&J came along and said oh yeah boosters sound good. Which is it lads? I happily got the J&J and won't be getting a booster from the current crop of vaccines, especially not the mRNA versions. I will certainly reconsider a booster when better vaccines come along and that's highly likely. Research is ongoing into other vaccine angles which show much longer term immunity and against the family of coronaviruses. EG it's been found that those who survived SARS and got a Covid vaccine had the best long term immunity against pretty much any coronavirus, even ones that may jump to humans.

Though I am surprised at one thing; we've been mass vaccinating people in the middle of active disease using a particular spike protein with "leaky" vaccines in that while they reduce transmission they certainly don't reduce it as much as we would like, which is a very strong evolutionary pressure on the virus to mutate around that and we haven't seen that so far.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement