Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

On the morning of July 19th I can fly to Spain. Go to 10-15 bars and restaurants and fly back that night. But can’t stop and go in somewhere for food on the way back from the airport.

Very true although you can stop in a beer garden somewhere for a bite to eat and if you go to Spain then chances are you'd be eating and drinking outdoors anyway because of the heat there

Are NEPHET members being paid extra for being the NEPHET?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Surely they must be the most hated crowd in the country now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Ray D’Arcy comparing the closure extension to the smoking ban.

Says being an “outlier is often a good thing”

Disgustingly dishonest from Darcy, but I shouldn't be surprised...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

bear1 wrote: »
    Surely they must be the most hated crowd in the country now?

Worse than the Black and Tans at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Come out ye goon Michael Martin,
    Left me go for a meal, cause I'm starvin.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ballynally

So it looks like we should get the HSE vaccination card laminated...
    Is it now worth more than a twenty Euro note?

Afaik that vaccination card wont be accepted, laminated or not. They will come out with a (digital) Covid19 Certificate as the only proof that counts at some point in time, yet to be decided but with July 19 as the target date which of course could change due to some 'technical' difficulties of implementation.
    Those paper cards can easily be copied or stolen fr offices as they were used in vaccination centres, filled in by pencil.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Downlinz wrote: »
    We have an overly cautious health board coupled with a government who are terrified of deviating from their advice after what happened last December.

There's nothing more happening than that. People talking about a coup, a big social experiment or a removal of democracy or whatever are either deranged or in most cases pushing some other agenda.

We have a public which is mostly in lockstep with the lockdown which means the govt has little reason to fear carrying on with this nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

But how quick we forget……… and they’ll grab power again, Martin doesn’t care, he just wanted to be PM at any cost and the fat pension and after dinner speeches to look forward to. Despicable.

• Advertisement

Edz87 wrote: »
    Are NEPHET members being paid extra for being the NEPHET?

Holohan has raked in €264,916 in salary since he demanded young workers sacrifice their livelihoods and small businessmen give up business which have been in many cases been in their families for generations.

Not a single member of NPHET (there are more members of NPHET than there are people in intensive care in Ireland with Covid-19) has lost a single brass cent in pay since they banned the operation of small businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

You could go for a pint back then at least.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Can we stop the bickering and the 'I told you so' posts from either side please. It doesn't further any discussion. Stay on topic and post in a civil manner or be removed from the thread, it's that simple

Quick one... Is anything else changing on the plan for July 5th? As far as I can tell everything else is going ahead other than indoor hospitality...

What's worse is that, if vaccination numbers are used as the barometer of when to return to normality, it takes several weeks on top of the jab for full efficacy to kick in.

That will be used, I suppose, to delay indoor hospitality beyond 19 July.

I seem to remember a number of posters in here a few months ago championing our painfully slow reopening, especially when the UK announced their delay (despite them still being much further along than we were). Our conservative reopening plan (the slowest in Europe) would, they said, mean that there would be no delays to that reopening.
    Yet here we are.

I am utterly livid. From a personal point of view, my family and I have been quite lucky. Both my wife (before maternity leave) and I have been able to work from home all the time. We've saved on commutes and have ended up in a better financial position than we were in before all this started. Not to mention, I've had more time to spend with my two daughters than I would have had if I were commuting. Not that it wasn't difficult. Dealing with a newborn, a toddler while creches were closed and a wife with PND while having to work full time nearly killed me, but I realized that there were plenty of people worse off.

But it's utter insanity that we have tighter restrictions in summer 2021 than we did in summer 2020 with 4 million doses of vaccines administered. I've never witnessed such an inept, spineless government. It's utterly sickening that I'm in my early thirties and this is the second time in my adult life that I've witnessed a FF led government completely eviscerate the Irish economy. Of course, the chief conspirators will be completely insulated from the economic fallout. The burden will mostly fall on the youth of the country, yet again. My two kids are only 3 years old and 8 months old yet they will likely still be paying the debt accrued from the last 16 months (due to be around €50,000 for every man, woman and child by the end of the year).

This will be looked back on in the future as an utterly shameful part of our history.

But have you not heard what Ray Darcy said ?

This is like the smoking ban !!! sometimes you just have to be an outlier

- Sickening.

I hope he is called out on the street for that - peacefully of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Quick one... Is anything else changing on the plan for July 5th? As far as I can tell everything else is going ahead other than indoor hospitality...

No - all indoor activities are delayed including sports indoors, play centres etc. Not just hospitality.

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/7894b-post-cabinet-statement-resilience-and-recovery-the-path-ahead/

Indoor activities, such as organised events, return of service in bars and restaurants, training, group exercise, dance - will not proceed as planned, pending the implementation of a system to verify vaccination or immunity. Government will devise an implementation plan by 19 July

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I predict a lot of people , especially younger people heading abroad later this summer for a taste of some freedom and normality.

The EUROs have opened people's eyes to the extreme measures we have been subjected to in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭MOR316

namloc1980 wrote: »
    No - all indoor activities are delayed including sports indoors, play centres etc. Not just hospitality.

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/7894b-post-cabinet-statement-resilience-and-recovery-the-path-ahead/

Indoor activities, such as organised events, return of service in bars and restaurants, training, group exercise, dance - will not proceed as planned, pending the implementation of a system to verify vaccination or immunity. Government will devise an implementation plan by 19 July

I'm assuming gyms are still open and outdoor "dining" is still OK?

I predict a lot of people , especially younger people heading abroad later this summer for a taste of some freedom and normality.

The EUROs have opened people's eyes to the extreme measures we have been subjected to in this country.

Each time a match comes on with a large crowd my Mrs is totally shocked to see the crowd. A lot of people in this country think what's happening across Europe is mad, when we are in fact the outliers. We've been conditioned to think what's happening here is normal. It isn't.

• Advertisement

And make no mistake, NPHET and their supporters are hoping for carnage in Danish/Hungarian hospitals now to finger wag and point "see ... look!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Tzardine wrote: »
    Come out ye Nephet clowns,
    Left me go for a meal, cause I'm starvin.

Tell me how the delta variant
    Made you run like hell away
    From the joy of having a pint indoors

namloc1980 wrote: »

Yeah but weddings are up to 50
    Sports matches are up to 500
    No limit on vaccinated people meeting up indoors (in their own homes)

People are going on like we're all being imprisoned

• Registered Users Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭facehugger99

b0nk1e wrote: »
    Holohan has raked in €264,916 in salary since he demanded young workers sacrifice their livelihoods and small businessmen give up business which have been in many cases been in their families for generations.

Not a single member of NPHET (there are more members of NPHET than there are people in intensive care in Ireland with Covid-19) has lost a single brass cent in pay since they banned the operation of small businesses.

This should be read out at the start of every briefing they give.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

TomSweeney wrote: »
    And make no mistake, NPHET and their supporters are hoping for carnage in Danish/Hungarian hospitals now to finger wag and point "see ... look!!"

Meanwhile in Hungary today...
    With 54 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Hungary

They have a population of 10 million and anybody can just turn up now and get a vaccination.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

It's always been a tiny vanguard that effect real change. Most will always go with the flow. As to this latest move in the covid saga I suspect the political class are well tuned into the majority who are averse to any risk. I'm slightly older than you and the culture has changed remarkably in my sixty years as regards risk perception. We live in the times of health and safety and mortality is sanitised safely out of sight and only rolled out (as during covid) to shape perception ..which has never been so easy given modern technology. At this stage I am checking how many letters there are in the Greek alphabet to plan my next move.

TomTomTim wrote: »
    People who were mocked greatly, by even smugger people, have a right to be righteous when they've been proven right again. At least his smugness has the truth attached, his detractors never had the truth on their side.

The people that said if we allowed NPHET to suborn the elected Government we would never be able to extricate ourselves from the ban on small businesses were denounced as far-right conspiracy theorists and lumped in with anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers.

But we were right then, and we're right now.

This isn't about being able to get a toasted sandwich and a cup of tea indoors. The takeover of the economy and legal system by NPHET raised - raises - fundamental questions about the functioning of our entire democratic structure and system of government.

Once you've paid him the Danegeld you never get rid of the Dane.

Once you abrogate democratic oversight of the elected Government to give one man who has never been elected to anything in his life total and arbitrary control over aspects of people's life such as who they are allowed to have sex with, precisely how many centimetres they are allowed to move away from their front door, and what time they are permitted to eat, he will never give that power up voluntarily.

At the start this was all about Tony's redemption arc. From disgrace, the prospect of the sack, and the ruin of his reputation in 2018 to people dancing on the very edge of sanity painting murals of him in a superhero outfit on walls.

Tony's had a hard time of it. Fifteen months at the coalface. Perhaps he needs a nice, long holiday.
    eskimohunt wrote: »
    What's worse is that, if vaccination numbers are used as the barometer of when to return to normality, it takes several weeks on top of the jab for full efficacy to kick in.

That will be used, I suppose, to delay indoor hospitality beyond 19 July.

On the 19th July it will be just six weeks until the schools return.

There is no prospect of the ban on small businesses being lifted - assuming the present Government is in power then - for at least two weeks after that.

My guess at this stage is 13th September.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

"We must flatten the curve"

"The next few weeks are critical in fight against the virus"

"We are in this together"

MOR316 wrote: »
    I'm assuming gyms are still open and outdoor "dining" is still OK?

Current measures are unaffected so gyms for individual training and outdoor dining ok for now.

• Advertisement

Meanwhile in Hungary today...

They have a population of 10 million and anybody can just turn up now and get a vaccination.

Hungary jumped ahead of the EU and approved the Simopharm and Sputnik V vaccines... While Hungary has many many problems it seems they've played a blinder on their vaccine strategy to be completely fair to them

Ireland not following suit is coming back to bite us in the arse now it seems

Advertisement