Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

AMKC wrote: »
    Delighted that the delay is happening. Now if the Government had been giving everyone including myself the Jennson vaccine like they were supposed to instead of the two jab pfizer one I would have been up for more opening up but as it is with the Delta variant around it is only right that more opening up of the country is delayed.

Delighted? Strange emotion for the day.
    Also Pfizer is more effective after one dose than the one-shot is. Which is another bit of unscientific nonsense that has been passed over all this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭eastie17

Us Irish, we take a lot. We do what needs to be done and get on with it. I think today however could have tipped the balance to people saying enough. Time will tell.

Its been said before, for all of our rebel talk, the English walked all over us for 800 years and its only through the dogedness of a few hundred people that we managed to make changes.
    If Boards was around then we'd all be piling on calling Michael Collins a terrorist and saying what a disgrace the whole thing was.
    We're sheep.

I'm nearly 50, personally it doesn't impact me that much but feel for my kids and their friends who are teenagers and early 20s. But everyone evolves to the situation, and they have evolved to shebeens and house parties or heading off camping in fields and having bonfires and drinks. Pity that they have to but more power to them, 1 of them has spent his first year of college in his bedroom after missing out on the rights of passage such as ending school with the gang he soldiered with for 14 years. No grads/debs, no LC etc.
    Yeah ok, they didnt die, but those are lifetime memories they were robbed of. Now they are starting to make noises about going back for 2nd year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,936 ✭✭✭✭titan18

jakiah wrote: »
    The guy is derranged, Gemma O'Doherty is anti-NPHET you'll be posting her **** next

When you discredit certain voices (who lets face it were the only ones publicly against restrictions in the last year), you make it easier for the government to take advantage of you. Viewpoints like yours are the reason we're in this mess. Any dissenting opinion is wrongthink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Times like this I wish we had an effective opposition. We’re being absolutely fecked here.

The opposition are afraid to say boo because they're in a relatively favorable position and the less input for them means the less chance of saying the wrong thing etc. They're inactive because being active right now is risky, they'd rather sit back and watch the madness unfold.

Beverly Hills, California

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2021/0629/1232044-dail-leaders/

I never thought I'd see myself voting for Labour but if they're the only ones opposing this nonsense then I guess I'm in.

I was actually watching that, he absolutely ripped Eamonn Ryan a new one, typical they left him to deal with the fallout tbh

It does feel like this latest decision has seen the majority opinion shift tbh. The next two weeks are going to be hell for the government, and rightly so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Fann Linn wrote: »
    You should've heard Donnelly so. Makes Healy Rae into a Stephen Hawkin.

Imbecile, did he go to secondary school?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

namloc1980 wrote: »
    NPHET are projecting that we will have cases and deaths in the next 8 weeks per capita multiples times that India suffered from their delta wave and it's been accepted without any discussion or challenge.

Why are weddings and hotels safe for indoors but not restaurants?

Well no that's not the full story. They provided at least two very different projections. One called a "worst case scenario" ie extremely unlikely and another at the other end of the scale which to be fair is barely removed from where we are at atm.

I believe the main reason they've decided to delay the bulk of indoor activities is simply get more people double jabbed. And I'm not "projecting" that. Thats simply what has been already stated.

But yes we've already got outdoor dining. Weddings and hotels are already heavily restricted afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

lol, so they are going to have a "plan" by July 19th, which will probably take weeks to months to implement. Any other country would be rioting in the streets at this nonsense.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I seem to remember a number of posters in here a few months ago championing our painfully slow reopening, especially when the UK announced their delay (despite them still being much further along than we were). Our conservative reopening plan (the slowest in Europe) would, they said, mean that there would be no delays to that reopening.
    Yet here we are.

I am utterly livid. From a personal point of view, my family and I have been quite lucky. Both my wife (before maternity leave) and I have been able to work from home all the time. We've saved on commutes and have ended up in a better financial position than we were in before all this started. Not to mention, I've had more time to spend with my two daughters than I would have had if I were commuting. Not that it wasn't difficult. Dealing with a newborn, a toddler while creches were closed and a wife with PND while having to work full time nearly killed me, but I realized that there were plenty of people worse off.

But it's utter insanity that we have tighter restrictions in summer 2021 than we did in summer 2020 with 4 million doses of vaccines administered. I've never witnessed such an inept, spineless government. It's utterly sickening that I'm in my early thirties and this is the second time in my adult life that I've witnessed a FF led government completely eviscerate the Irish economy. Of course, the chief conspirators will be completely insulated from the economic fallout. The burden will mostly fall on the youth of the country, yet again. My two kids are only 3 years old and 8 months old yet they will likely still be paying the debt accrued from the last 16 months (due to be around €50,000 for every man, woman and child by the end of the year).

This will be looked back on in the future as an utterly shameful part of our history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

titan18 wrote: »
    Wouldn't suprise me if someone in NPHET or the government is getting married and wants 50 people.

Also it's only for weddings that are already planned/booked. Sure weddings take time to organize, but if you book from today my understanding is that you'll be limited to 25 guests.
    As an exception, weddings already planned will be permitted to proceed on the basis of the expected changes, with 50 guests permitted to attend wedding receptions with protective measures

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I have supported the Government up until this point, but jesus I cant fathom why they have made the decision which they have.

I am actually really p1ssed off, and I am one of the vaccinated. I dont say it lightly, but I expect that this will be a major turning point for people. I see a lot of protests in the coming hours/days.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Times like this I wish we had an effective opposition. We’re being absolutely fecked here.

Opposition are silent which leaves the likes of the Healy Raes and other independents bringing this up in the Dail, and they can be easily dismissed as cranks and eejits. We don't have functioning political institutions meaning NPHET get to dictate unchallenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

Good point - better question would be how many vaccinated have ended up on ventilators in the UK, now given that vaccine efficacy is only 50-60% I am sure there will be some but statistically significant?

Sadly, we do not know, that level of detail, plus it would be interesting to know a semi-breakdown of critical (were they use ECMO) medical induced etc.

Do Ireland release that sort of level of information/data. How many ECMO are on the island of Ireland. Not aware of any in the North.

last figures published for all UK serious/critical was 257 people (published yesterday for day before)

I guess also, there are differing levels of ventilation required and level of seriousness etc.

Hence the concern about Delta. Thankfully, the numbers are increasing daily for vaccination, but we all have a role in being cautious (IMHO). It is very tough sometimes, but thinking back to where we have come from, what might have been, I can wait a bit longer. I wouldn't like to be the one making those tough decisions in government or not - its a damned if do or don't - never mind the politics side of things. Just my opinion.

muddypuppy wrote: »
    Also it's only for weddings that are already planned/booked. Sure weddings take time to organize, but if you book from today my understanding is that you'll be limited to 25 guests.

Beyond farcical

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

On the morning of July 19th I can fly to Spain. Go to 10-15 bars and restaurants and fly back that night. But can’t stop and go in somewhere for food on the way back from the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

TomTomTim wrote: »

Sorry, not living in Ireland so don't know this journalist. Is that sarcasm or is he genuine?

From reading his Tweets, I get the distinct impression he's one of those deliberately contrarian 'journalists'.

This alone cannot be serious:

https://twitter.com/Michael_O_Regan/status/1409855286010073090

On the morning of July 19th I can fly to Spain. Go to 10-15 bars and restaurants and fly back that night. But can’t stop and go in somewhere for food on the way back from the airport.

And they’re encouraging everyone to get the vaccine passport.

They’re loving the control, that’s what it’s all about now, that smirking imbecile Martin is proof of it.

• Advertisement

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Opposition are silent which leaves the likes of the Healy Raes and other independents bringing this up in the Dail, and they can be easily dismissed as cranks and eejits. We don't have functioning political institutions meaning NPHET get to dictate unchallenged.

I had a lecturer who used to praise Ireland for its great "centrism". In reality, there's nothing centrist about Ireland, all the parties all but sing the same tune, so no one calls the others out when it's needed. As you've said, it simply results in a broken system, where genuine problems can be shoved under the rug with ease.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Surely he's being sarcastic.
    This is like a bad Tele novella except the ending is dragged on and on and on with our eyes taped open and strapped to a chair to watch it.
    We always have to do things arse ways.
    If I fly to Ireland on July 18th before midnight I need a ridiculous PCR test but if I arrive on the 19th the country is open to me.
    Now out of pure curiosity, what if my flight landed at 00:01?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,285 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

We now go live to NPHETS spokesman on the state of the country:

11714263-head-of-a-thoroughbred-shire-horse-wearing-tackle-and-blinkers.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭brickster69

Honestly, how is it possible for hotels to serve meals indoors and restaurants can't ? An Irish guy who owns one is on Sky news now and he is totally shell shocked poor guy, he does not have a clue what is going on.

All roads lead to Rome.

bear1 wrote: »
    Surely he's being sarcastic.
    This is like a bad Tele novella except the ending is dragged on and on and on with our eyes taped open and strapped to a chair to watch it.
    We always have to do things arse ways.
    If I fly to Ireland on July 18th before midnight I need a ridiculous PCR test but if I arrive on the 19th the country is open to me.
    Now out of pure curiosity, what if my flight landed at 00:01?

There was once a quote I heard about most men living life like they're on a stage; the tweet in question takes the sentiment to a radical extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

bear1 wrote: »

There's something rotten going on here beyond what we're being told. Honestly it makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

This will be looked back on in the future as an utterly shameful part of our history.

Sadly we've had a few of those in recent times. Same political party in power also, as you pointed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Downlinz

titan18 wrote: »
    When you discredit certain voices (who lets face it were the only ones publicly against restrictions in the last year), you make it easier for the government to take advantage of you. Viewpoints like yours are the reason we're in this mess. Any dissenting opinion is wrongthink.

We have an overly cautious health board coupled with a government who are terrified of deviating from their advice after what happened last December.

There's nothing more happening than that. People talking about a coup, a big social experiment or a removal of democracy or whatever are either deranged or in most cases pushing some other agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Kiith wrote: »
    • Young people are not allowed into pubs for a pint, as its dangerous.
    • But young people are allowed in pubs if they are serving people, as that'll be fine.
    Clearly the Delta variant has figured out how to only infect people enjoying themselves, and not working.

What the actual ****? :confused:

Take it a step further.

If said young person gets infected in the next few weeks they will then be allowed have a pint, or at
    Least will be closer to having a pint than waiting for a jab

So if your a young person it’s now beneficial to you to actually get infected.

Advertisement