Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭NaFirinne

bear1 wrote: »
    Anyone else wondering at what stage our gods will remove the need for masks?

Depends they might say that the vaccinated can remove masks...Although then along comes some variant and all will be back wearing masks vaccine or not.

who knows, some people might like there seat of power too much to allow it all to just filter back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭HerrKapitan

BillyBiggs wrote: »
    Did the government con people into getting the vaccine, by tricking them into thinking the hospitality sector would reopen fully as a result of being honourable citizens?

They only announced this today. Vaccines have been available for quite a while? Why would they announce it before the most popular pub going cohort haven't had a chance to register.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ballynally

What's wrong with that headline? NPHET did actually say that they're only reporting the facts just like every other news outlet did

They are just reporting THE facts like they are reporting THE science.
    They are as innocent as white snow for the true believers.

I have had some other thoughts:
    Previously i have presented the jeweller's tactic. Give the customer 3 options in which the cheapest and dearest wont be chosen and the middle one wins.
    I can see a possible tactic used by NPHET:
    Present the cabinet with 5 models just before they need to make a decision.
    Strip away the most negative and positive one and you have 3 left which walk the 'reasonable' middle ground. Leak the most negative one to the media and pull the most positive one into question as being of a lesser chance than the middle three. Now the cabinet made a 'reasonable' choice while the internet lambasts the most negative model.
    This whole thing really depends on how the various models reflect reality.
    The cabinet depends on NPHET to present the various reality scenarios.
    It has accepted the idea that NPHET are the experts after not taking their advice around Xmas and the spike in cases that followed. They no longer seem to question the data at all. As far as i can see they use other countries data if it suits NPHET'S narrative and disgard it if it doesnt.
    So, if other countries have stricter rules we need to follow. If they have lesser strict rules we have to do what's best for the irish people.
    I remember some talk about alignment w Northern Ireland. They have both less restrictions and higher cases p 100.000 and are now looking to start live music indoors after opening pubs and restaurants.But Ireland couldnt possibly follow that because we hold on to a form of doomsday modelling, separate from anyone else's.
    I think more and more people are copping on now and NPHET mightve overplayed their hand. TH got cocky and the cabinet is in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

It’s exhausting. My heart goes out to all those affected by this decision. I hope even those who agree with it can concede it was poorly executed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Everyone is aware that indoor dining won't be happening before the schools go back right?

The vaccine passport for the elites isn't going to work and if it ever does it will be a complete shambles.

Protecting the schools will be the next priority. This is clear as day from the NPHET letter.

We should be marching in the hundreds of thousands on leinster house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Champagne corks popping in NPHET HQ.

Don't be ridiculous.

Their modelling showed that anywhere between 3 and 7,000 people could be injured from popping champagne corks so they banned them. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Look, I think I've been more than reasonable up to this point but after a busy day at work I've just scanned the page count and news sites and would like to yell rhetorically WHAT THE SMEGGING HELL IS GOING ON??!!?!?

This is the rage thread, right? Cos I'm now in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭normanoffside

shockframe wrote: »
    That's the Forbidden Dance!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭BillyBiggs

They only announced this today. Vaccines have been available for quite a while? Why would they announce it before the most popular pub going cohort haven't had a chance to register.

I mean up to today we’re they tricked into getting the vaccine, thinking that bars and restaurants would be open from today onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

I have to say if I happen to find a rogue pub/restaurant that opens on July 5th regardless I will quite happily go in, have a few pints/something to eat and leave them a big tip. Never been happier to have flights booked to get away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭shockframe

I don't believe even Spitting Image could make the Government look much more of a laughing stock than today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

From the Independent:
    August will be the worst month for an exponential rise in the Delta variant and the most pessimistic forecast is for 681,900 cases between July and the end of September with a potential 2,170 deaths.

The stark picture was outlined by chief medical officer Dr Tony Holohan in his letter to Government yesterday .

He also warned a high level of transmission in late summer could have significant impacts on the reopening of schools and colleges in the autumn.

He said five scenarios were modelled from best to worst but across all of them case counts rise very slowly in July. The seeds of further growth are sown next month.

Case counts will increase "exponentially" through August until a combination of vaccination and immunity among those who have been infected "slows growth through September and October."

"The planned easing of these measures should only proceed once a robust, non-reproducible and enforceable system of verification of vaccination or immunity status can be put in place to support this. If this is not deemed feasible, the Government should consider pausing further easing of these measures until such a system can be instituted."

There you have it folks. September/October are being touted. And if the "enforceable system of verification" doesn't work, you're not getting indoor dining at all this year. And maybe next.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Where the capacity is minimum 5k. So that's 500 people in 83,000 capacity Croke Park. Sounds reasonable.

500 more than we could have so far though

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Elessar wrote: »
    From the Independent:

There you have it folks. September/October are being touted. And if the "enforceable system of verification" doesn't work, you're not getting indoor dining at all this year. And maybe next.

that's actually insane and defies the evidence right in front of our own eyes

He'll have put a load of vintners out of business and he'll retire happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Elessar wrote: »
    From the Independent:

So 5k people have died since all this started.. but they believe almost 3k will die in 3 months? **** off.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭voldejoie

Move aside Delta, there's a new variant in town.
    This should keep everything closed until Christmas.

https://twitter.com/honorverity/status/1409838787937640452

Just cycling through the Greek alphabet until we eventually get to the omega variant and then start again, maybe?

Christ, today has been so disheartening. There really is no justification for it and I am now very worried about what this winter will look like!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭celt262

Is Leo still hoping to get people back into the office in August?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Just follow the money;-)

500,000 people should march, peacefully of course, on Leinster House this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

voldejoie wrote: »
    Just cycling through the Greek alphabet until we eventually get to the omega variant and then start again, maybe?

Christ, today has been so disheartening. There really is no justification for it and I am now very worried about what this winter will look like!

I've little argument left in me for my mother in law who has insisted all year that we are deluding ourselves if we think the vaccine will change everything.

It'll be a new variant each and every time she said. I would usually roll my eyes.

Now I think I'll just be keeping my mouth shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

Not, its far less than we have at the trial events.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

If 500 people in massive stadiums is as far as we can stretch at the height of the summer then we're goosed. People watching the Euros on the TV can see what's happening around Europe, and then the height of our capability is 500 in any stadium in the country. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,389 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

500,000 people should march, peacefully of course, on Leinster House this weekend.

And Pigs will fly ...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

lawred2 wrote: »
    I've little argument left in me for my mother in law who has insisted all year that we are deluding ourselves if we think the vaccine will change everything.

It'll be a new variant each and every time she said. I would usually roll my eyes.

Now I think I'll just be keeping my mouth shut.

She's spot on. We've been taken for fools

• Registered Users Posts: 33,174 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

bear1 wrote: »
    So 5k people have died since all this started.. but they believe almost 3k will die in 3 months? **** off.

They saw an end to all this, the hospital numbers were down, people weren't getting sick in any numbers at all, there was the date for places to start opening and life getting back to normal......so.....NPHET have to ramp the fear back up again, aided again by the media who are all too happy to keep the culture of fear going.

They have to keep themselves relevant. For as long as they can.

In any other country, the Gov would be saying "thanks for your help and advice over the last 15 months lads, now cheerio, we'll take it from here".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

celt262 wrote: »
    Is Leo still hoping to get people back into the office in August?

No that's already been pushed out to September as originally planned I think

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

And Pigs will fly ...

Well seeing as some posters thought MM’s speech was good at lunchtime I’d believe anything at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

eskimohunt wrote: »

You'd need some respectable politicians or figures in Irish society to lead it and I would be there but if the usual EIRIGI types and the likes, it's a no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Look at the current bar and restaurant restrictions in Majorca - good place to go on holiday.
    Bars and restaurants can open both indoors and outdoors from Monday to Sunday without interruption. They can open until 2am.

Advertisement