Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "What is this Irish word/phrase in English" thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭Worztron

Hi. What would 'Cumann Rince Dea Mheasa' mean in English? Thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Also, 'Rince Tuatha Nua'?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Sounds like a breakaway organization...possibly set up in opposition to Dirty Dancing icon12.png

Possibility: The Approbation Dance Association.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭mr chips

Cumann rince means dance club/association etc. The "Dea Mheasa" part means approved - I'm not familiar with whatever regulations might exist concerning competitive dancing etc but in this case, I assume it's the approved form of dance for taking part in a particular competition, feis etc.

Rince tuatha nua would be new country dance - for all I know, this could be line-dancing! Or (pure guesswork here) if it's connected to your previous query, maybe it's a different style of dance for a different competition? Tbh, when it comes to my knowledge about that sort of thing, I'm about as confident as Father Ted in Ireland's biggest lingerie section ... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭burrentech

Hopefully someone can correct me if this is wrong.

Looking to create a house name for a new build and thinking that Scots Cottage would be a good one. I came across a translation that I like to look of but need someone with better Irish to check it makes sense.

Tigín hAlba

Thank you in advance.

Murray

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Tigín na Scot could work (if you mean Scots as the plural of Scottish people).

Tigín Scoit if it belongs to one Scot.

Tigín na hAlban would be the Scotland Cottage.

Thank you.

Tigín is ok for little house/cottage. You could also have "Teachín".

You wouldn't have the h at the start of Alba there. My first thought was to say "Tigín Alba", but after going to check it I'm not 100% sure now. It could be that I'm allowing some of the Gaidhlig (Scottish Gaelic) that I learned many years ago to influence my thinking! What we call Irish is "Gaeilge" or "Gaelinn" in the language itself. Scottish Gaelic, or Gaidhlig, is really just another dialect (or grouping of dialects) of the same language.

In Irish Gaelic, the word for Scotland is "Albain". Any online resource I've checked thus far is giving the genitive case as "na hAlban". So "the little house of Scotland" would be "Tigín na hAlban".
    In Scottish Gaelic, the word for Scotland is "Alba". So "the little house of Scotland" would be "Bothan Alba". However, this is very close to the Gaeilge word "bothán", whose meaning in Ireland is more akin to hut or shack, rather than cottage.

In any case though, neither of those formats is quite the same as "Scots Cottage", so my instinct would still be to go with "Tigín Alba". But I'd hold off until someone else can offer a view on that and in the meantime I'll chat to someone I know who would have a better idea.

Thank you Mr Chips

I am almost sure it will be Tigín Alba, always best to have short and sweet and more easy for others to remember.

Thanks again to everyone who helped out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,151 ✭✭✭✭josip

How do you spell 'amlach' (clumsy/awkward) in Irish?
    I've never seen the word written, only been on the receiving end of it from my mother :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

josip wrote: »
    How do you spell 'amlach' (clumsy/awkward) in Irish?
    I've never seen the word written, only been on the receiving end of it from my mother :)

I've never seen it before, but it seems to be "amalach", which is a variant of "gamalach" (meaning silly).

https://www.teanglann.ie/en/fgb/amalach,+amalaíocht

https://www.teanglann.ie/en/fgb/gamalach

:)

There is another word, "amscaí", which is more common for clumsiness/awkwardness.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

What word do they use in Irish for reliable?

Another word I am looking for is popular?

Popular for a place?

Eg. Killarney is popular

tv3tg4 wrote: »

Popular for a place?

Eg. Killarney is popular

reliable = iontaofa

tv3tg4 wrote: »

Popular for a place?

Eg. Killarney is popular

popular - coitianta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Worztron wrote: »
    popular - coitianta

Nach bhfuil sé "tá éileamh mór ar Chill Airne"

I always thought that Coitianta means more "common" or "widespread"

• Advertisement

Grudaire wrote: »
    Nach bhfuil sé "tá éileamh mór ar Chill Airne"

I always thought that Coitianta means more "common" or "widespread"

Hi Grudaire. It means a few things -- accustomed, common, ordinary, popular, usual, widespread - coitianta

I'd go with "rogha choitianta" for a popular choice (e.g. Bíonn Cill Áirne ina rogha choitianta ag turasóirí i gcónaí).

The dictionary does have "coitianta" on its own, but as Grudaire said above, most people would assume other meanings from that word before realising it was supposed to mean popular.

Hi guys. Is 'gleann álainn na laoi' the correct way to say, 'The Beautiful Lee Valley'? Thanks.

Anyone?

Worztron wrote: »
    Anyone?

My apologies, I "thanked" your post yesterday because you already had the translation correct yourself.

• Advertisement

My apologies, I "thanked" your post yesterday because you already had the translation correct yourself.

Ah, I see. Thanks IO. I appreciate it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 banterit

Hello
    I am trying to learn Irish and am listening to radio and tg4 but sometimes I hear a word that I cant find in a dictionary
    one that keeps popping up is what I hear as ''Harrabha'' or something like that ... earlier I heard it before the word deacair. I think it means very but I cant find it on Teanglann the online dictionary

Any help appreciated

banterit wrote: »
    Hello
    I am trying to learn Irish and am listening to radio and tg4 but sometimes I hear a word that I cant find in a dictionary
    one that keeps popping up is what I hear as ''Harrabha'' or something like that ... earlier I heard it before the word deacair. I think it means very but I cant find it on Teanglann the online dictionary

Any help appreciated

That would probably be three words, "thar a bheith", which is a nice way of saying "very", e.g. Thar a bheith deacair = very difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 banterit

Sin é, go raibh maith agat.

Hi. What does this mean? Is it spelt properly?

"Lá na Poblachta sona daoibh go léir"

Thanks.

"Happy Republic Day to you all". Spelling all looks fine to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Hey, looking to figure out what the Irish word for 'Links' is. From what I can see 'link' is 'nasc'. I've seen 'naisc' used for the plural but not 100% sure if it is correct or not. It's specifically in relation to a Golf Links, which I have also seen 'Machaire' used in relation to.

Can anyone give me a steer on which is the correct one? Would Naisc be totally incorrect? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,495 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Nasc mainly means 'link' in the sense of connection. Machaire looks like the word you want.

Your link for Machaire gives meaning #2 as "Stretch of level ground; links, course. ~ gailf, golf-course. ~ ráis, race-course".

Not your ornery onager

Dumhach ghailf.
    Galf-chúrsa dumhcha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

I need to translate my married surname into Irish? Could i PM somebody who might be able to offer advice or direct me where to go please?

• Advertisement

mr chips wrote: »
    "Happy Republic Day to you all". Spelling all looks fine to me.

Thanks, mc. :)

Are these translations accurate?
    • That's all right. - Tá sin ceart go leor.
    • That's all. - Sin é an méid.
    • That's all. - Sin uile.
    • That's all. - Go bhfuil gach.
    Thanks. :)

That's all. - Go bhfuil gach.

That last one doesn't make sense to me.

That's all. - Go bhfuil gach.

That last one doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks, AGG. :)

Hi. Would 'slodáin' be the correct word for 'puddles'? Thanks.

My dictionary gives linntreog for puddle. I'm guessing the plural would be linntreoga?

Dinneen gives

pluda, g. id., m., puddle (also ploda).

plod, g. pluid, pl. id., m., a pool of standing water (ploda and plodar, id.).

plodán, -áin, pl. id., m., a. pool of standing water.

plodánacht, -a, f., paddling or rowing in water.

plodarán, -áin, m., a puddle (Con.).

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭Piollaire

Cheers, Esel & Piollaire. :-)

Hi guys. I heard someone say a word that sounds like 'fograth'. Does anyone know what it could be? Maybe it's in 2 words? Thanks.

Post edited by Worztron on

• Advertisement

Possibly Fógra - notice, advertisement

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

What is that formal greeting at the beginning of some TV programmes, some presenters will say something like 'de barr a meas thú' or Debra meathasa phonetically?

Ive always wondered and could never quite catch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭Piollaire

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Korrayls

Conas atá sibh go léir?

Táim ag lorg cabhair le tattoo nua atá me chun a fháil.

táim ag iarraigh aistriu an nath seo go dtí Gaeilge: "MAY LOVE CONNECT US,FAITH DIRECT US, AND GOD PROTECT US"

Cad a cheapainn sibh faoin aistriúchan seo? "Go nascfar an grá sinn, go ndíreoidh ár gcreideamh sinn agus go gcosnóidh dia sinn"

b'fhéidir go mbaigh duine éigeann eile in ann aistriúchan níos fearr a dhéanamh.

I obviously want it to be as unique and accurate as possible without grammatical errors etc...

Apologies for my rusty irish, I havn't spoken really since i left school many moons ago!!

I would capitalise Dia. Suppose it's a matter of choice though.

You could try ringing the Translation Department in the Dáil. I'm sure someone there would be happy to help - they might even know some almost equivalent sayings too which you could consider.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Hi. Is Cúirt Róisín = Black Court?

I guess it means, 'Rose Court'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

We have a steep hilly field that is called the bru - presumably with a fada on the u. What does translate as into English?

• Advertisement
Advertisement