Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

The "What is this Irish word/phrase in English" thread

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Insect Overlord

josip wrote: »
    How do you spell 'amlach' (clumsy/awkward) in Irish?
    I've never seen the word written, only been on the receiving end of it from my mother :)

I've never seen it before, but it seems to be "amalach", which is a variant of "gamalach" (meaning silly).

https://www.teanglann.ie/en/fgb/amalach,+amalaíocht

https://www.teanglann.ie/en/fgb/gamalach

:)

There is another word, "amscaí", which is more common for clumsiness/awkwardness.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭ tv3tg4

What word do they use in Irish for reliable?

Another word I am looking for is popular?

Popular for a place?

Eg. Killarney is popular

• Registered Users Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭ Worztron

tv3tg4 wrote: »

Popular for a place?

Eg. Killarney is popular

reliable = iontaofa

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

tv3tg4 wrote: »

Popular for a place?

Eg. Killarney is popular

popular - coitianta

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭ Grudaire

Worztron wrote: »
    popular - coitianta

Nach bhfuil sé "tá éileamh mór ar Chill Airne"

I always thought that Coitianta means more "common" or "widespread"

• Advertisement

Grudaire wrote: »
    Nach bhfuil sé "tá éileamh mór ar Chill Airne"

I always thought that Coitianta means more "common" or "widespread"

Hi Grudaire. It means a few things -- accustomed, common, ordinary, popular, usual, widespread - coitianta

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Insect Overlord

I'd go with "rogha choitianta" for a popular choice (e.g. Bíonn Cill Áirne ina rogha choitianta ag turasóirí i gcónaí).

The dictionary does have "coitianta" on its own, but as Grudaire said above, most people would assume other meanings from that word before realising it was supposed to mean popular.

Hi guys. Is 'gleann álainn na laoi' the correct way to say, 'The Beautiful Lee Valley'? Thanks.

Anyone?

Worztron wrote: »
    Anyone?

My apologies, I "thanked" your post yesterday because you already had the translation correct yourself.

• Advertisement

My apologies, I "thanked" your post yesterday because you already had the translation correct yourself.

Ah, I see. Thanks IO. I appreciate it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ✭✭✭ banterit

Hello
    I am trying to learn Irish and am listening to radio and tg4 but sometimes I hear a word that I cant find in a dictionary
    one that keeps popping up is what I hear as ''Harrabha'' or something like that ... earlier I heard it before the word deacair. I think it means very but I cant find it on Teanglann the online dictionary

Any help appreciated

banterit wrote: »
    Hello
    I am trying to learn Irish and am listening to radio and tg4 but sometimes I hear a word that I cant find in a dictionary
    one that keeps popping up is what I hear as ''Harrabha'' or something like that ... earlier I heard it before the word deacair. I think it means very but I cant find it on Teanglann the online dictionary

Any help appreciated

That would probably be three words, "thar a bheith", which is a nice way of saying "very", e.g. Thar a bheith deacair = very difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ✭✭✭ banterit

Sin é, go raibh maith agat.

Hi. What does this mean? Is it spelt properly?

"Lá na Poblachta sona daoibh go léir"

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ mr chips

"Happy Republic Day to you all". Spelling all looks fine to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,486 ✭✭✭✭ Frisbee

Hey, looking to figure out what the Irish word for 'Links' is. From what I can see 'link' is 'nasc'. I've seen 'naisc' used for the plural but not 100% sure if it is correct or not. It's specifically in relation to a Golf Links, which I have also seen 'Machaire' used in relation to.

Can anyone give me a steer on which is the correct one? Would Naisc be totally incorrect? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,262 ✭✭✭✭ Esel

Nasc mainly means 'link' in the sense of connection. Machaire looks like the word you want.

Your link for Machaire gives meaning #2 as "Stretch of level ground; links, course. ~ gailf, golf-course. ~ ráis, race-course".

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭ An gal gréine

Dumhach ghailf.
    Galf-chúrsa dumhcha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭ heldel00

I need to translate my married surname into Irish? Could i PM somebody who might be able to offer advice or direct me where to go please?

• Advertisement

mr chips wrote: »
    "Happy Republic Day to you all". Spelling all looks fine to me.

Thanks, mc. :)

Are these translations accurate?
    • That's all right. - Tá sin ceart go leor.
    • That's all. - Sin é an méid.
    • That's all. - Sin uile.
    • That's all. - Go bhfuil gach.
    Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭ An gal gréine

That's all. - Go bhfuil gach.

That last one doesn't make sense to me.

That's all. - Go bhfuil gach.

That last one doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks, AGG. :)

Hi. Would 'slodáin' be the correct word for 'puddles'? Thanks.

My dictionary gives linntreog for puddle. I'm guessing the plural would be linntreoga?

Dinneen gives

pluda, g. id., m., puddle (also ploda).

plod, g. pluid, pl. id., m., a pool of standing water (ploda and plodar, id.).

plodán, -áin, pl. id., m., a. pool of standing water.

plodánacht, -a, f., paddling or rowing in water.

plodarán, -áin, m., a puddle (Con.).

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭ Piollaire

Cheers, Esel & Piollaire. :-)

Hi guys. I heard someone say a word that sounds like 'fograth'. Does anyone know what it could be? Maybe it's in 2 words? Thanks.

Post edited by Worztron on

• Advertisement

Possibly Fógra - notice, advertisement

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement