Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chuckie_Egg

289p * 1000

£2890 + commission

It's a bit too soon to be throwing 300k at it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

jams100 wrote: »
    Started a position in $MODE (London Main Index)

They are a FinTech company (They are developing a digital banking application that allows users to manage tradition and digital assets all in one place).

https://modeapp.com/

- Market Cap = £50 million
    - In operation since 2017
    - Basically no revenues as yet

This looks like it has real potential.

The app is really slick from a user perspective, gave it a go today. It's leveraging open banking as well which makes transfers in/out of the app really easy (too easy possibly). 5% interest on BTC as well makes it very tempting as a cash hold, better than most (all?) savings accounts out there.

They put 10% of their money into BTC in October, up over 300% since then. Sounds like they will look to keep 10% always in BTC.

Looks of experience in fintech/defi on the team and some serious partners on board particularly in asian markets.

In the top 40 most downloaded apps on android now, after just breaking top 100 3 weeks ago. With its "super" app for businesses coming in the very near future this should be a quick gainer with long-term potential.

If I wasn't already quite fintech heavy I would put more into this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Treppen wrote: »
    Deliveroo shares tanking on IPO.

All that glitters is not gold anymore

What I'm wondering is how they haven't yet made a profit given they've been operating since 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Treppen

cc87 wrote: »
    Could have a big fall ahead of it as well, pre-IPO shares bought through their app/PrimaryBid won't have shares in trading accounts until after the 7th of April. Can see a lot of panic selling for a loss when it happens.

Amazon being one of the main (or the biggest?) investors makes it an interesting one I think. Amazon tried and failed at restaurant delivery previously but with Amazon fresh stores opening now and dark/cloud kitchens predicted to grow exponentially (currently ~40$bn, predicted ~70$bn 2027) it wouldn't be surprising to see Amazon backing Deliveroo even more, possibly buying them outright.

If the price drops close to 200p, it would be tempting.

Kind of reminds me how Apple killed off Beats

• Registered Users Posts: 45,266 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Deliveroo is a loss making business. Doesn't look too appealing at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,266 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

VonLuck wrote: »
    What I'm wondering is how they haven't yet made a profit given they've been operating since 2013.

Red flag. Looks like an investment to avoid tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭jams100

jams100 wrote: »
    Started a position in $MODE (London Main Index)

They are a FinTech company (They are developing a digital banking application that allows users to manage tradition and digital assets all in one place).

https://modeapp.com/

- Market Cap = £50 million
    - In operation since 2017
    - Basically no revenues as yet

Right now its just a digital wallet that allows you to buy bitcoin, although it does give users the option of generating interest on their bitcoin and when you buy bitcoin on Mode you actually own it rather than with the likes of Revolut

Soon, they are launching Mode for business which essentially will give consumers another way of paying for goods rather than using the likes of Visa/Mastercard they will be able to pay using mode, leveraging the power of open banking (Just scan a QR code).
    It should cut down payment costs for merchants, who can then pass on these saving to customers. They are going to live and die by the amount of merchants they get to sign up, I think we are going to find out in Q2 how many merchants have linked with Mode, if little to none have then its going nowhere, if they have gotten a number of companies and one or two big ones then I could see this taking off.

- They already raised 6 million via an oversubscribed placing in February.
    - They have allocated 10% of cash reserves to purchase bitcoin.
    - 5k + downloads on Google Play store
    - Rita Liu = CCO (Ex Alipay executive)

This only represents 1% of my portfolio so take what I'm saying here with a pinch of salt. There is the almost certainly of dilution after dilution here but if it takes off it then it could hit the bigtime

Edit: It's not on AIM its on Main index

A look at Modes app payment feature... (High risk Investment) Dyor

https://twitter.com/modeapp_/status/1377229508701528064

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭jams100

cc87 wrote: »
    This looks like it has real potential.

The app is really slick from a user perspective, gave it a go today. It's leveraging open banking as well which makes transfers in/out of the app really easy (too easy possibly). 5% interest on BTC as well makes it very tempting as a cash hold, better than most (all?) savings accounts out there.

They put 10% of their money into BTC in October, up over 300% since then. Sounds like they will look to keep 10% always in BTC.

Looks of experience in fintech/defi on the team and some serious partners on board particularly in asian markets.

In the top 40 most downloaded apps on android now, after just breaking top 100 3 weeks ago. With its "super" app for businesses coming in the very near future this should be a quick gainer with long-term potential.

If I wasn't already quite fintech heavy I would put more into this.

That 5% interest on Bitcoin is a little dangerous too, people can also loose their money some probably forget about this, if that happens Mode will get a severe backlash and these days too many bad reviews can kill a business! This is a business that is pretty reliant on Bitcoin not crumbling.
    But yea this could fly they are supposed to reveal how many merchants have signed up to their new payments feature in Q2! (This is where they will make most of their money If they are going to make money that is in my opinion)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Bought some shares for the first time in the last week, was always very risk averse when it came to saving and decided it was time for some volatility in the hope of some future increases.
    Already down about 10%.... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭weemcd

accensi0n wrote: »
    Bought some shares for the first time in the last week, was always very risk averse when it came to saving and decided it was time for some volatility in the hope of some future increases.

This is certainly a bad month for most shares. I wouldn't worry too much about that, the last year saw some absolutely insane rallies for a number of stocks that in many cases made no sense. Between the Fed printing money and handing out stimulus cheques the markets were awash with cash.

If you're aiming to invest long term this dip shouldn't bother you too much, if the company was good value before the dip, it's still good value today and will be better value down the line. This could even offer an opportunity to buy some shares for a cheaper price, depending how you want to look at it. Don't panic sell at a loss, patience is the single best attribute for any investing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭Shedite27

The problem with the first week, is that you've nothing to compare it to. By Christmas odds are, you'll have more up weeks than down weeks. When I've a bad week, I always have something to back to like, "well I'm up YTD", or "I'm up in the past 12 months" etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I'd always wonder about the gains and when they're gonna stop.

Don't they say use an average of 7-8% per year when calculating the market returns?

In 2020 the market returned 22%.

In 2019 it returned 28%

In 2018 it returned -9.5%

In 2017 it returned 20%

In 2016 it returned 10%.

In the last 5 years the average returns have been 14%. You'd wonder can it keep at this rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Pussyhands wrote: »

Don't they say use an average of 7-8% per year when calculating the market returns?

In 2019 it returned 28%

In 2017 it returned 20%

In 2016 it returned 10%.

In the last 5 years the average returns have been 14%. You'd wonder can it keep at this rate?

Think that's a long term average, 20+ years, the 00s wouldn't be anywhere near 8% I would think

You could have asked that about Amazon or Microsoft, both operated for years without being in profit. Also Facebook, Google and Apple at various times

Pussyhands wrote: »

In 2019 it returned 28%

In 2017 it returned 20%

In 2016 it returned 10%.

So much of it at this stage is driven by 7 big companies, so long as they keep going, the "market" will go up. We've never been this dependent on that few companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

Already down about 10%..

In the borrowed words of Homer Simpson

Already down 10%.. so far

Probably getting tired of my Magnus resources pumping now at this stage, but needless to say I'd put this up as there's much todo about Bidens plays for industries.

548767.jpg
    Full release here https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vABF9egj4DDx2Ns2yZ64-lHPKvAVl94p/view
    Btw I think it'll be at least a year or two long play before anything saucy happens.

Tldr from Africa Mining --> Gigafactories on 3 continents + US gov contacts (albeit partnership in these ventures) + no China.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Dipped my toe into GameStop at around the high 200's with €5k.

Not life changing money but still takes up far too much of my time.

All the talk of the price being 500k etc is just annoying and they believe their own hype too much.

Dipped my toe into GameStop at around the high 200's with €5k.

Not life changing money but still takes up far too much of my time.

All the talk of the price being 500k etc is just annoying and they believe their own hype too much.

You should have joined us here before Christmas when it was tipped at around $12 . I bought and sold it then and made €50. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭VonLuck

You could have asked that about Amazon or Microsoft, both operated for years without being in profit. Also Facebook, Google and Apple at various times

Understandable with those companies. For example, Facebook had no real source of revenue at start-up as they weren't plagued with advertisements. Microsoft have always had ongoing R&D costs associated with developing software. But what's Deliveroo's main outlay to date? Those large backpacks to keep food warm? Maybe I'm missing something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Those large backpacks to keep food warm?

As far as I know they make the riders buy them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Treppen wrote: »
    You should have joined us here before Christmas when it was tipped at around $12 . I bought and sold it then and made €50. Lol

The bus was half way to Donegal when I tried to catch up to it. I am about 2k down but anyway.

I also missed the boat in January thinking about BTC and a mate told me about Etherum when it was 250, although thats been at 1500 for ages.

I shold just stick to solid old ways to make money which I can cash in just before I die!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Gamma1

Yes Magnis good to me in the past sold on a high recently - might now get back in

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭butrasgali

Has anyone had a problem with degiro today,I logged on and I now have paysafe stocks and I'm in the minus of 800euro on my overall account..I don't remember buying any of them shares..

Gamma1 wrote: »
    Yes Magnis good to me in the past sold on a high recently - might now get back in

Ya I think it's been steadying at $0.30 for a long time now (so you might be buying back in at a high!). Personally I don't think it has any reason to fall again at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

butrasgali wrote: »
    Has anyone had a problem with degiro today,I logged on and I now have paysafe stocks and I'm in the minus of 800euro on my overall account..I don't remember buying any of them shares..

It’s BFT, it changed to paysafe today.

DEGIRO takes a while to update prices properly after the merger

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭butrasgali

cc87 wrote:
    DEGIRO takes a while to update prices properly after the merger

Ahh thanks for that..

richie123 wrote: »
    Opinions on norwegian air shuttle?
    Will it survive or is it ****ed...down 99 percent in past 5 years.

Been keeping an eye on this since ya mentioned it, up 25% in 3 weeks. Did ya buy any?

Got the email from Degiro.
    Seems like they are now stopping folks from trading in Deliveroo shares unless you took part in the original placing. You are allowed to close your position but you cannot add to it.
    The IPO may be cancelled now or something else is happening behind the scenes.
    The plebs who took part in the IPO for £3.90 will get screwed if it goes ahead.
    Looks very bad for London as a financial center after Brexit now, many outside investors stayed away

• Advertisement

I added these crispr stocks to my portfolio today as they hit my buy targets

Editas Medicine
    Intellia Therapeutics

Intellia have results due any time now.

Good tip, announcement today,granted EU orphan drug designation.
    Think I might just hold and stick it in the bottom drawer.

Advertisement