Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

The whole thing has been a bit much for me and I cannot understand these rules.

If 25 people can gather for wedding, why not 40? Or 50?

And why is there restrictions on home visits?

I’m not a “denier” or anything like that I just cannot understand the logic of it.

Six family members (from two households) are going to my parents house today. One works in a hospital and they are travelling more than 5km.

Is that violating the restrictions?

The restrictions on the weddings capped at 25, is to ensure there isn't a large outbreak of the virus. The less that attends the better because there is less chance of someone attending who might have the virus. Also in case a member of the party shows up with the virus and the whole group becomes infected.

As for the restrictions on home visits - it's not great or ideal but it is what it is. There's an incubation period of up to 14 days with the virus. It's in case there's a member of a household who has the virus or the visitors have picked up the virus and are infectious and the virus spreads.
    I remember going babysitting for a family about 15 or 16 years ago and a member of the family was sick with the flu and in bed. I wasn't in his room but within a few days I came down with the same dose. It is easy for illness to spread within families and households and between households by visiting. The public health authorities are trying to get the virus cases down low.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

So I can call the Guards?

So should I send the Guards to the house? Can I say I am neighbour and there are two cars and a lot of people?

Be a bit late as they’d be in the house.

I don’t know the licence plates of the car of the sibling coming in vein the country. Can I give the names with a call to a station and they pass it on to the checkpoint?

The only person I care about is my mother and with her condition that many people in the house is a terrible idea regardless of the virus. My relationship with my father is in a bad way though and he cannot know it was me.

Prob not a good idea to get the Guards involved.

If you have any relationship with your siblings ask them to socially distance if your mother is vulnerable and to keep the house ventilated when there.

The isolation involved in lock downs is really difficult for people. And the best thing they can do is to follow the safest practices while there (short of not going at all).

• Registered Users Posts: 39,940 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

That is all fine and I take your point about how precarious this is. And reiterate my personal view that a preemptive level 5 circuit breaker is warranted. I may have different views if they decide to extend this.

But the reality is that is the letter that was sent to government recommending level 5 and instantly putting 100k plus people on welfare and many many businesses at risk of permanent failure.

The Government, based on this letter, and indeed after a series of meetings with Prof Nolan followed the advice. ICU capacity has been a key metric.

So you agree with NPHET and the government?

Personally I can't agree with any of the levels because it is complete nonsense.

But I think we are there or there abouts in our collective views.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

mloc123 wrote: »
    You didn't lose track of anything... You are just intentionally trying to muddy the situation. The guidelines for weeks now have been very clear, nobody is to visit another person's house.

If you cannot understand such a simple guideline, you must be very slow.

Are you sniffing something?

What are you talking about ? “muddy the waters”

I said I didn’t understand the new restrictions and I asked if this gathering at my parents house was against the rules.

You acting as though I’m trying to make “excuses” because we “got caught having a party” - that makes zero sense. Why would I mention the gathering here in be first place?

The only slow mind here is yourself.

Boggles wrote: »
    So you agree with NPHET and the government?

Personally I can't agree with any of the levels because it is complete nonsense.

But I think we are there or there abouts in our collective views.

I think the NPHET model is not fit for purpose at this point in time. I also think that they should not over blow things in their letters but use scenarios m at least so they can retain credibility and not make themselves vulnerable in terms of public trust.

And I think (despite the accuracy of modelling not fully supporting the level 5 recommendation at this point in time) that a circuit breaker may well be a good policy. Intuitively it makes sense and we may well benefit from this in slowing the virus over winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Thierry12 wrote: »
    Interesting

I'd love to see Dr Tony prove to us how young kids are immune

They have a nose, mouth, eyes like the rest of us

How can they not get infected?

Do NPHET and Government need schools open cause they need babysitters and don't want look after them or something?

Who said they are immune?

I think the NPHET model is not fit for purpose at this point in time. I also think that they should not over blow things in their letters but use scenarios m at least so they can retain credibility and not make themselves vulnerable in terms of public trust.

And I think (despite the accuracy of modelling not fully supporting the level 5 recommendation at this point in time) that a circuit breaker may well be a good policy. Intuitively it makes sense and we may well benefit from this in slowing the virus over winter.

Maybe we should let the time frame of the prediction run it's course.

Maybe they are spot on but out 7-10 days.

There is green shoots of stabilization, but I wouldn't be calling it mission accomplished. We saw something similar in Dublin.

You can have all the models in the world, but cannot predict peoples behavior which is the main driver of this virus.

Also we are not at Level 5, we are pretending we are.

owlbethere wrote: »
    The restrictions on the weddings capped at 25, is to ensure there isn't a large outbreak of the virus. The less that attends the better because there is less chance of someone attending who might have the virus. Also in case a member of the party shows up with the virus and the whole group becomes infected.

As for the restrictions on home visits - it's not great or ideal but it is what it is. There's an incubation period of up to 14 days with the virus. It's in case there's a member of a household who has the virus or the visitors have picked up the virus and are infectious and the virus spreads.
    I remember going babysitting for a family about 15 or 16 years ago and a member of the family was sick with the flu and in bed. I wasn't in his room but within a few days I came down with the same dose. It is easy for illness to spread within families and households and between households by visiting. The public health authorities are trying to get the virus cases down low.

Shouldn’t weddings be capped at bride and groom?

25 is a risk and how far will those infected at the wedding spread it before it is discovered.

I’m not saying if there can be weddings that people should be allowed run in and out of houses but hat here should be no weddings. It is nonsense that they are allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭growleaves

Boggles wrote: »
    Also we are not at Level 5, we are pretending we are.

What level are we at, out of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Risteard81 wrote: »
    What about people who are exempt?

They should have the cop on to stay away from indoor public places and online shop.

• Advertisement

Are you sniffing something?

What are you talking about ? “muddy the waters”

I said I didn’t understand the new restrictions and I asked if this gathering at my parents house was against the rules.

You acting as though I’m trying to make “excuses” because we “got caught having a party” - that makes zero sense. Why would I mention the gathering here in be first place?

The only slow mind here is yourself.

Sorry. I thought you were acting dumb on here for a wind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dublin99

speckle wrote: »
    Cases are reported internationaly. Hong Kong would get on to their equivalent public health contact tracing team here.
    And one would hope the family would ring back/email the school.

How long does it take to get to hong kong could the child have picked it up on route?

The way the official channels work can be cumbersome and subject to delays. It is a bank holiday in Hong Kong (as well as here) on Monday so probably nothing happens till Tuesday.

Flying from Dublin to Hong Kong takes 15 -20 hours depending on connecting airport and layover time. I would say it is unlikely she caught it en route as the viral load would have been too low to be picked up less than 24 hours after being infected. It would be interesting to see if her family members travelling with her (and probably sitting together on the flights) will test positive in a few days. I believe they are in quarantine and are being monitered.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

“We’re pretending we’re at level 5”

What??? Tell that to all the closed retail stores, restaurants and pubs.

growleaves wrote: »
    What level are we at, out of interest?

No idea, they keep changing the document to suit their scattered approach.

Considering the plan fell apart 2 minutes after it was launched, I don't think we are actually following it anymore to be fair.

Make it up as we go along is more apt than "Living with Covid".

• Registered Users Posts: 37,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

manniot2 wrote:
    In their head
    Very stupid.
    manniot2 wrote:
    He actually said on the late late that icu capacity and tracing were not important. What was important was community spread. He knows he has the power to shut us down whenever he wants, deflect the blame from the farce of a health service we have
    He doesn't have the power to shut us down. As part of NPHET he has the job of making recommendations.

They government decide what happens as they did when they ignored NPHET's advice a couple of weeks ago.

“We’re pretending we’re at level 5”

What??? Tell that to all the closed retail stores, restaurants and pubs.

Emotive nonsense aside, there was a lot more retail supposed to be closed under the original level 5.

It's a fluid document, handy really when it needs to be flushed.

Which is hopefully soon.

zinfandel wrote: »
    would it not be better having all the covid patients together and keeping the single rooms for non covid?

To be fair, there isn't that many covid patients in hospital as most cases are mild. It's more an issue with staff than issues of bed space at the moment.

Prob not a good idea to get the Guards involved.

If you have any relationship with your siblings ask them to socially distance if your mother is vulnerable and to keep the house ventilated when there.

The isolation involved in lock downs is really difficult for people. And the best thing they can do is to follow the safest practices while there (short of not going at all).

My relationship with those siblings terrible. They hardly ever visit and know know it is too much for my mother so I don’t understand why they are coming at all. It is like it is a reaction to being told by the government that they cannot.

My father had a less of a clue than I do. He only told me they were coming just before I posted. It was okay during the first lockdown because he was scared. I think he needs another fright.

They will be here five minutes and my mother will be asking when they leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

They should have the cop on to stay away from indoor public places and online shop.

Why shouldn't they exercise their right to shop? Do you believe that discrimination is virtuous?

And where do these made up "laws" and "regulations" justify your unlawful discriminatory attitude?

mloc123 wrote: »
    Sorry. I thought you were acting dumb on here for a wind up.

You apparently have difficulty with reading and comprehension so not wise to call other people “dumb”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭majcos

What about people who are exempt?
    Very very few people are really exempt. The only group that is truly exempt is those who do not understand why they are wearing a mask and would therefore be distressed by it, for example someone with special needs or cognitive impairment. Exemptions include someone who is unconscious or incapacitated and someone who is unable to remove it without help. I believe this in case those groups vomit and then they might aspirate their own vomit or could choke.

HSE website also mentions face mask is not recommended for those who have trouble breathing. I do not understand this one. Masks can definitely be very uncomfortable but masks do not cause a actual drop in oxygen levels. I understand there might be an occasional exception but that could be addressed on an individual basis.

For those with pre-existing trouble breathing to such a degree that they cannot wear a mask for a few minutes and for the other groups mentioned above, surely they should be cocooning as much as possible and not going to shops. There should be very few exemptions.

Masks are to protect others from the wearer so I think the shops might have the right to refuse admission if they themselves felt uncomfortable with a non mask wearer entering the premises.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1320209842859134977?s=19

New Princeton study indicates children are a factor in spreading the virus

• Registered Users Posts: 16,242 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Stheno wrote: »

"Much more important" than previously suspected? Or than people in general?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

If 2000 people have been told to do their own test and trace how can we say that the average number of close contacts has been 4.4. They do not know how many close contact those 2000 have had.

https://www.thejournal.ie/the-most-common-number-of-close-contacts-identified-in-ireland-is-now-3-5244669-Oct2020/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Why shouldn't they exercise their right to shop? Do you believe that discrimination is virtuous?

And where do these made up "laws" and "regulations" justify your unlawful discriminatory attitude?

There is a pandemic incase you haven't noticed :rolleyes:

People's right to health is far more important to someone's right to shop. Especially when there are online alternatives.

No mask people will mean staying in fecking level 5 for longer, no thanks. Wear a mask when you are around other people or stay away if you can't manage that.

Stheno wrote: »

That study Is rubbish or Ireland is different. The Deputy CMO set out the other day that there are no problems with schools and infections despite the fact that it defies all logic.

Big group of people (who are unlikely to be showing symptoms unlike the flu or colds) from 30 separate households hang out together for 6 hours per day in close surroundings, then they visit inter-generational homes for the other 14 hours having meals together etc, then repeat. Sure what could go wrong....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

majcos wrote: »
    Very very few people are really exempt. The only group that is truly exempt is those who do not understand why they are wearing a mask and would therefore be distressed by it, for example someone with special needs or cognitive impairment. Exemptions include someone who is unconscious or incapacitated and someone who is unable to remove it without help. I believe this in case those groups vomit and then they might aspirate their own vomit or could choke.

HSE website also mentions face mask is not recommended for those who have trouble breathing. I do not understand this one. Masks can definitely be very uncomfortable but masks do not cause a actual drop in oxygen levels. I understand there might be an occasional exception but that could be addressed on an individual basis.

For those with pre-existing trouble breathing to such a degree that they cannot wear a mask for a few minutes and for the other groups mentioned above, surely they should be cocooning as much as possible and not going to shops. There should be very few exemptions.

Masks are to protect others from the wearer so I think the shops might have the right to refuse admission if they themselves felt uncomfortable with a non mask wearer entering the premises.

Say that to people who have asthma attacks triggered by hot and humid conditions or those including hospital staff that have allergic reactions to some of the materials and how they are treated. They maybe in the minority both dont discount them at a drop of a hat.
    Some interesting scientific research papers on those minority hospital workers, and have a look at comments on asthma websites, before judging people. Some people with asthma can wear them, others not.

Very easy to day just cocoon, when supports have decreased for those people and services closing due to funding issues which will only get worse if a recession appears.

And if staff taking precautions and everyone else in the public why shouldnt a person who is exempt be not allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There is a pandemic incase you haven't noticed :rolleyes:

People's right to health is far more important to someone's right to shop. Especially when there are online alternatives.

No mask people will mean staying in fecking level 5 for longer, no thanks. Wear a mask when you are around other people or stay away if you can't manage that.
    Unless you imagine policing people's homes is runner that's a silly comment. It's the close contacts and the number of them that is doing it, not the lack of masks.

You apparently have difficulty with reading and comprehension so not wise to call other people “dumb”

Well, if that is your attitude... It is pretty obvious from your posts that your aren't the sharpest

Grow some balls and stop acting like a child. If you don't want your siblings visiting, tell them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

That study Is rubbish or Ireland is different. The Deputy CMO set out the other day that there are no problems with schools and infections despite the fact that it defies all logic.

Big group of people (who are unlikely to be showing symptoms unlike the flu or colds) from 30 separate households hang out together for 6 hours per day in close surroundings, then they visit their homes for the other 14 hours having meals together etc, then repeat. Sure what could go wrong....

Study from Princeton, HSE won't read it as they only read European reports, which conveniently allows them ignore, that Princeton study, the South Korean study and the Indian study which all have shown children's role in transmission

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement