Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will there be another lockdown?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,257 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Local papers has Limerick and Tipperary next for lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Oh ffs.. .. ..

Quick, anyone know someone on one of them islands I can live with for a few months??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭giveitholly

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Regarding Tipp,it all depends on how bad the cluster in Golden is going to be. NO one knows at the moment so anyone saying tipp will be going into lockdown are talking through their arse, And this is not a dig at you JP,I know you are only posting what is being reported

25 community transmission cases today....virus is rampant....dublin needs locking down

Loads of folk have abandoned social distancing since masks became mandatory

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

A prolonged 146 day Lockdown has not worked in Argentina at all.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-08-12/after-146-days-in-lockdown-argentina-hasn-t-peaked-latam-wrap?__twitter_impression=true

After 146 Days in Lockdown, Argentina’s Virus Problem Is Getting Worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Surely most practical solution is to keep secondary students in one classroom.and have teacher come/go as much as possible

And have a deep clean in science rooms/gyms every evening,with a wipedown between classes.......

.we have had months to prepare and from.what i see,zero effort has been made to make a zoom type platform available,or any practical proposals from anyone

I finished school over 10 years ago and my secondary school operated (and still operates) like this with no issues.
    The rule was brought in to stop students dawdling and messing in between classes and wasting time.
    The teachers would all move in between classes instead of us and as a result, there was less class time wasted and less human traffic in the stairs and corridors.
    The only time we moved classrooms was to go to the science lab, home ec kitchen or to the hall for PE.

It’s a really practical solution to keep the different classes and year groups separated and stop them from mixing.
    I would think if they did this then masks may not be necessary while students are seated because they won’t be in close contact with other students outside their class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

A prolonged 146 day Lockdown has not worked in Argentina at all.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-08-12/after-146-days-in-lockdown-argentina-hasn-t-peaked-latam-wrap?__twitter_impression=true

After 146 Days in Lockdown, Argentina’s Virus Problem Is Getting Worse

Its having a surge. But they have held it at bay for a long time.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1114603/latin-america-coronavirus-mortality-rate/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Only a matter of when. I predict we won't even get to school reopening before we're back in it.

25 community transmission cases today....virus is rampant....dublin needs locking down

After we do that and then see the decrease in cases before another rise, what do you suggest then?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Szero

The speculation continues that Tipperary will go into lockdown.

Something needs to be done to help make getting kids to school safe. You can't have office workers return in September (and I have heard stories of companies sending their staff back in September) and school kids at the same time. Public transport will be jammed and the virus risk will accelerate.

There is logic to telling office workers to all work from home for the remainder of the year, and thus make transport safe for the kids. We need to make sacrifices to ensure kids can go back. Good employers will do this off their own bat, the government needs to force other employers to follow suit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Surely something has to be done in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,799 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Close all the meat factories down, I will gladly go without meat rather than having to restrict my life in some pointless box-ticking exercise.

Do you think plant processing and packaging your veg are going to be different?? They all have min wage workers under similar conditions. Your imported veg might well be grown using migrant labour. Looks like you'll have to bugger off and grow your own, good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

beauf wrote: »
    Its having a surge. But they have held it at bay for a long time.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1114603/latin-america-coronavirus-mortality-rate/

Yes they have. At huge economic cost. Now people are dying from it. So what was the point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Surely something has to be done in Dublin?

Absolutely. Invest in infrastructure in Dublin rather than all those transfers going to other counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Augeo wrote: »
    Loads of folk have abandoned social distancing since masks became mandatory
    This is quite possible and was pointed out by Holohan way back; that they can give wearers a sense of invincibility. It's distancing and other actions that have a far greater effect. What has also probably exacerbated the situation is the amount of absolutely necessary holiday movement within the country.

As for a new lockdown, I'm not sure. They may consider localised ones first and other tweaks. The 200 cases is evidence that we are testing a lot and that there is disease management going on. I think we've another "the next 7-14 days are very important" moment. As Glynn keeps saying it's trends they are looking at as individual daily totals can yo-yo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

If stupidity is infectious, they'll have to lockdown Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Szero wrote: »
    The speculation continues that Tipperary will go into lockdown.

Something needs to be done to help make getting kids to school safe. You can't have office workers return in September (and I have heard stories of companies sending their staff back in September) and school kids at the same time. Public transport will be jammed and the virus risk will accelerate.

There is logic to telling office workers to all work from home for the remainder of the year, and thus make transport safe for the kids. We need to make sacrifices to ensure kids can go back. Good employers will do this off their own bat, the government needs to force other employers to follow suit.
    Both will have to be addressed at the same time. Quite a few companies will be going back in September but on rolling numbers of about 20-30%. There's only so far WFH will take you.
    Schools must open as well, it has been done elsewhere. Not to do so would be a failure of government.
    To do both we need to see containment of these clusters but we need to accept there will be cases for a long time to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I finished school over 10 years ago and my secondary school operated (and still operates) like this with no issues.
    The rule was brought in to stop students dawdling and messing in between classes and wasting time.
    The teachers would all move in between classes instead of us and as a result, there was less class time wasted and less human traffic in the stairs and corridors.
    The only time we moved classrooms was to go to the science lab, home ec kitchen or to the hall for PE.

It’s a really practical solution to keep the different classes and year groups separated and stop them from mixing.
    I would think if they did this then masks may not be necessary while students are seated because they won’t be in close contact with other students outside their class.

How on earth did that work in relation to subject choices? For senior cycle in our local secondary students have a base class . however you need to factor in the various levels HL / OL in the core subjects - English , Irish and Maths and then subject choices of science - physics chemistry biology , then a language - French , German then music / art , applied maths , history , Geography. That is the range if subjects available all subjects are available at HL / OL . I don’t know as it is not relevant to my child but I presume the school offers foundation level for those who need it. I have no idea how static base classes can be implemented to cover the above scenario.

Keep at it,until theres no cases untraced

There people coming in/out of dublin (or anywhere else with untraced cases),travelling all over state on staycations,potentially spreading it unawares

Whats point of rest of country staying home/isolated,if we simply give up now,this time next year,hopefully we will all be laughing about it

Can you explain how this would work?

I understand the zero covid strategy. New Zealand had success with it for a time. Is your idea the same only instead of a closed border and tight restrictions for a period of time,
    It would be lockdown/open/lockdown?

Yes they have. At huge economic cost. Now people are dying from it. So what was the point?

It would be much worse without it. The States and the UK proved that without a doubt.

The problem with Covid is that it hits the poorest hardest as it's harder for them to social distance in overcrowded housing, then economically they are forced back to work before other people because they can't work from home usually and they need money more urgently.

The point of the lock down is to take the pressure of the hospital's. Otherwise they would be overrun.

As people go back to work here, we are also having a surge.

• Advertisement

lulublue22 wrote: »
    How on earth did that work in relation to subject choices? For senior cycle in our local secondary students have a base class . however you need to factor in the various levels HL / OL in the core subjects - English , Irish and Maths and then subject choices of science - physics chemistry biology , then a language - French , German then music / art , applied maths , history , Geography. That is the range if subjects available all subjects are available at HL / OL . I don’t know as it is not relevant to my child but I presume the school offers foundation level for those who need it. I have no idea how static base classes can be implemented to cover the above scenario.

When I was in school we didn't move for every class. We only moved for certain classes, then it was only a sub set of all students. So far fewer students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

gral6 wrote: »
    Dublin is behaving! Why the rest of the country is so reckless?
    This aged well. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

beauf wrote: »
    When I was in school we didn't move for every class. We only moved for certain classes, then it was only a sub set of all students. So far fewer students.

The same here but and I’m only talking about my own children's school given the size of the school , subject choice and levels available there will still be substantial moving. It would be a logistical nightmare trying to create static base classes from the above choices. There are less options at jc so probably easier but still a number of subject choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

I think cases will remain high from here on tbh.

Theres no point being unrealistic about this, its human nature that people are tiring of the rules. At any one time, it is as compliant as it will be - people will stray further and further as time goes on. That's a fact.

Just look at the videos from dame lane last night - young people are pushing on regardless. Youd be naive to think this wouldn't happen eventually.

Does anyone really think that young people wont have parties, go out, have sex, share a cigarette etc? That's just life. Its going to happen.

On the bright side - our death rate is tiny and hasn't been climbing. I know the argument "three week lag.." but we have heard that so many times and it hasn't played out that way.

I know it's an emotive subject, but saying we should fine everyone, ban flights, lockdown etc will not work anymore - its flogging a dead horse. The younger generation (rightly or wrongly) will not put up with it, and the government are well aware of that.

I dont have the solution - but I can see that we are at nothing thinking the current set up will work endlessly.

bluelamp wrote: »
    I think cases will remain high from here on tbh.

Theres no point being unrealistic about this, its human nature that people are tiring of the rules. At any one time, it is as compliant as it will be - people will stray further and further as time goes on. That's a fact.

Just look at the videos from dame lane last night - young people are pushing on regardless. Youd be naive to think this wouldn't happen eventually.

Does anyone really think that young people wont have parties, go out, have sex, share a cigarette etc? That's just life. Its going to happen.

On the bright side - our death rate is tiny and hasn't been climbing. I know the argument "three week lag.." but we have heard that so many times and it hasn't played out that way.

I know it's an emotive subject, but saying we should fine everyone, ban flights, lockdown etc will not work anymore - its flogging a dead horse. The younger generation (rightly or wrongly) will not put up with it, and the government are well aware of that.

I dont have the solution - but I can see that we are at nothing thinking the current set up will work endlessly.

It shouldn’t be accepted ‘just because’ though. Hammer people and make them afraid to break the rules whether they’re bored or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

It shouldn’t be accepted ‘just because’ though. Hammer people and make them afraid to break the rules whether they’re bored or not.

I think the posters post is rightly pointing out that we’ve flogged that dead horse to death. Fine them, dump them in concentration camps...people will find a way to just...live.
    And there’s nothing all the finger waving in the world can do about it

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

Never going to happen. Even in the *never going to happen* scenario of the government deciding they will "hammer" people, and make people too scared to brake rules - how would that even be possible?

Riots on the streets come to mind.

Again - another example of naive thinking. Time to be pragmatic about our approach.

People screaming about us needing to seal our borders and lockdown like New Zealand etc are doing more harm than good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Imagine trying to make teenagers and early 20s afraid to interact with their friends, afraid to have a few drinks and a dance, afraid to shift, afraid to ride, afraid to live.

Get a grip of yourself. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

road_high wrote: »
    I think the posters post is rightly pointing out that we’ve flogged that dead horse to death. Fine them, dump them in concentration camps...people will find a way to just...live.
    And there’s nothing all the finger waving in the world can do about it

100%.

Deaths are so low.

You have more chance of dying when you get into your car today.

Absolute fear and scaremongering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

100%.

Deaths are so low.

You have more chance of dying when you get into your car today.

Absolute fear and scaremongering.

I think what’s happening is many in the population are reading the stats and making their own conclusions. Finger wave all you like but that’s what’s going on. Many just aren’t scared anymore

Advertisement