Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will there be another lockdown?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

road_high wrote: »
    I think what’s happening is many in the population are reading the stats and making their own conclusions. Finger wave all you like but that’s what’s going on. Many just aren’t scared anymore

Only so long you can keep people from living their lives.

At some point human nature will start asking what's the point if we can't enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I think we'll be in lockdown again soon. The cases are getting very high again (better go get that haircut!)

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

I think we'll be in lockdown again soon. The cases are getting very high again (better go get that haircut!)

Lockdown in name only perhaps. Theres a significant cohort of people who will be pushing on with life regardless. The days of lockdown are done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭gifted

Can't see another lock down....government only aim now is to get schools back up and running, that's it....doesn't matter if the numbers go even higher, all you will hear from the ministers is the same things they are saying now.....same warnings every time....just repeat and warn again.

gifted wrote: »
    Can't see another lock down....government only aim now is to get schools back up and running, that's it....doesn't matter if the numbers go even higher, all you will hear from the ministers is the same things they are saying now.....same warnings every time....just repeat and warn again.

Good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

gifted wrote: »

Think the Germans need to step in at this stage and lay it all out

Got bills to pay boys, it might never happen, back to work

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

A prolonged 146 day Lockdown has not worked in Argentina at all.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-08-12/after-146-days-in-lockdown-argentina-hasn-t-peaked-latam-wrap?__twitter_impression=true

After 146 Days in Lockdown, Argentina’s Virus Problem Is Getting Worse

I know plenty of people living in Argentina, and many people shrugged off lockdown. The clusters originally started in shanty towns and shacks, and people living off no money cant sit inside and do nothing. So they set out and did their stuff. Poor people in Argentina do not beg for money. They offer to do a job for you (and a minority threat your parked car damage without an advanced payment), they came door-to-door offering services, and it spread through middle-upper class neighbourhoods this way.

By June most people had enough. The welfare Argentina offered is nowhere near enough for a living and many people got on with their lives. Many places flouted lockdown and re-opened and protests on streets happened in every major city, and police forces backed down.

A lot of people I know flouted lockdown too, went to house gatherings, bars, boat trips etc. Genuinely shocked, and my wife (who is from Argentina) was in disbelief some of her friends would do something like this.

The International airport is due to reopen in 2 weeks. My mother-in-law was supposed to come to welcome the arrival of our second child. All up in the air whether flights will actually resume, and frankly not sure I want her here (similar situation happened in March when she was in Italy)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The last one being such a resounding success let’s do it again two months later...
    We can’t afford another lockdown like March. Business took a lot in the chin but won’t this time as we’ve seen in LOK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Thierry12 wrote: »
    Think the Germans need to step in at this stage and lay it all out

Got bills to pay boys, it might never happen, back to work

You might soon have medical bills to pay on top so.

Quite a few people some quite young said that even after recovering from covid they are still unable to get back to normal life because of the after effects.

But it's not practical to stop everything. Let things go back that don't cause outbreaks. Any where there's a break out lock down that activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

In relation to the OP, I would not complain about another lockdown myself. With the winter around the corner and the potential of other viruses adding to the mix, people might be better of keeping a close and wary eye on things.
    The common flu or cold bug could spark a big panic on some people so maybe some kind of publicity to this matter might be considered.

Dan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

We're the pubs in dame lame this much craic before covid started?
    Seriously I think we are headed for a regional lockdown when the schools reopen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I need a lockdown. Bloody wrecked. As long as the schools open.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭growleaves

It shouldn’t be accepted ‘just because’ though. Hammer people and make them afraid to break the rules whether they’re bored or not.

Leo Varadkar acknowledged at the start of this thing that the restrictions "cannot be sustained."

That is the obvious price to pay for insisting on containment methods which are unusually extreme and anti-social.

What a ridiculous sentiment, 'Hammer people'! Cop on

No....its just zero untraced cases.....anywhere with outbreaks of untraced cases can in theory get out of control v.quickly and needs closing down until gone

Its said italys outbreak came from 1 person in/out of hospiteal multiple times,and not chinese tourists skiing.......

anyone coming in on holidays etc should be made get the tracing app,and tested aswell......waterford has 5 different meat factories in its suburbs,which i deal with through work,kind of resigned to a lockdown here aswell at some stage

I think the only way we could have zero cases in a county is by closing its borders. That means no travel for work. I'm not sure if people realise what is actually required for Covid to be eliminated. Actually I don't believe it can be.

We are dealing with a highly infectious disease here. Until there is a vaccine it isn't going anywhere. Living with the assumption there will be, putting everything on hold is madness to me. What we need to do as a country is find a way to manage and live.

Since it began I have been caring in my own way and making my own judgement calls. For example I've no issue with being out in the world but I'm not going to be in close proximity with one or more for any length of time. I'm not comfortable with that. I've the hands washed off me as well.

That's how we live in a Covid world. We measure the risks, we make decisions, we inform ourselves about what is safe and what isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

I think the only way we could have zero cases in a county is by closing its borders. That means no travel for work. I'm not sure if people realise what is actually required for Covid to be eliminated. Actually I don't believe it can be.

We are dealing with a highly infectious disease here. Until there is a vaccine it isn't going anywhere. Living with the assumption there will be, putting everything on hold is madness to me. What we need to do as a country is find a way to manage and live.

Since it began I have been caring in my own way and making my own judgement calls. For example I've no issue with being out in the world but I'm not going to be in close proximity with one or more for any length of time. I'm not comfortable with that. I've the hands washed off me as well.

That's how we live in a Covid world. We measure the risks, we make decisions, we inform ourselves about what is safe and what isn't.

Unless you are travelling to perform a physical task there should be no work travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Sheepdish1 wrote: »
    Do any of you think there will be another lockdown coming into the winter months? The cases seem to be climbing but at least we know where they are originating from now which is good. Hospitals are managing pretty well too!

If cases go high along with hospital admissions will the country lockdown again to keep our healthcare system functioning?

They've been dying to lock us down again since even before we started re opening.

They'll try to find some reason to lock us down again.

i_surge wrote: »
    Unless you are travelling to perform a physical task there should be no work travel.

Yes that's what would be required to attempt an elimination of Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yes that's what would be required to attempt an elimination of Covid.
    We're not trying to eliminate it, just suppress it to as low a number as we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭gral6

This is not a state's business wherther I travel or not.

gral6 wrote: »
    This is not a state's business wherther I travel or not.

During a pandemic it is, and everyone else's business too.

• Advertisement

Noone is saying no covid cases??

No unknown origin cases is what is looked for,as they cant be traced and can be spreading to hundreds before picked up (1 lad in kildare chilling infected 83)

How can yous talk/trust your neighbour or anyone about,if you know its spreading about in your community from an unknown source?

....deosnt seem much of life for me tbh,and how people can propose managing something from an unknown source to me,seems a misnomer tbh......

keep.lockdowns where unknown sources are....until.they found seems like commonsense tbh?

Ah. Ok. The objective is to not have cases where we don't know the origin. So no community transmission? I'm just trying to understand.

As for trusting and talking? I can't live a life without human connection. If the virus is in the community then that won't cause me to not speak to people. I will continue as I have been. Socially distant interactions and lots of hand sanitising.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

During a pandemic it is, and everyone else's business too.

How would I go about informing everyone about any travel I will take? Social media, boards.ie or just email Leo?

is_that_so wrote: »
    We're not trying to eliminate it, just suppress it to as low a number as we can.

I wonder what that number looks like and what will happen when we reach it.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Aaaaand we have a sensible person at last :)

Going forward it is about exactly that, risk mitigation, sensible personal choices.

Clusters will happen, people will die, that is the unfortunate reality of it all. The world will continue to turn on.

Another lockdown is not feasible - people seem to forget the reason for the initial one.

Drive on, wash the hands, don't be licking the neighbours.

Also it is nobodys business where/who/why an individual is travelling - go suck lemons if you disagree.

Flyer1 wrote: »
    Aaaaand we have a sensible person at last :)

Going forward it is about exactly that, risk mitigation, sensible personal choices.

Clusters will happen, people will die, that is the unfortunate reality of it all. The world will continue to turn on.

Another lockdown is not feasible - people seem to forget the reason for the initial one.

Drive on, wash the hands, don't be licking the neighbours.

Also it is nobodys business where/who/why an individual is travelling - go suck lemons if you disagree.

Spot on.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    How would I go about informing everyone about any travel I will take? Social media, boards.ie or just email Leo?

Yeah just email Leo, maybe a bit of a facebook for that confusing mix of social ire and being a brave patriot sticking it to the man depending who your friends are.

The point stands about unessential press the flesh business travel or selfish fun in the sun types.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Yeah just email Leo, maybe a bit of a facebook for that confusing mix of social ire and being a brave patriot sticking it to the man depending who your friends are.The point stands about unessential press the flesh business travel or selfish fun in the sun types.

Build the wall eh?

enjoying this new found mandated privacy/distancing ok.....but i guess some dont?

The novelty wore off fast unfortunately.

Yas,this is exactly it.....if its unknown origin can get out of control afaik

Take the risks at your own risk,if yous want...personally i steer clear of hassle at best of times,and enjoying this new found mandated privacy/distancing ok.....but i guess some dont?

We all have our view on what is an acceptable risk. I love people and being a part of the world. Covid doesn't have me viewing every person with suspicion. I am careful with social distancing however.

I'll give you an example. I have a meeting next week that will be held in a small room with two other people. I won't be attending because it will be close contact with people outside of my family group for longer than 15 minutes.

Meeting a neighbour or acquaintance in a shop and having a chat with them, sitting with a friend for a few hours, no problem to me as long as the distance is maintained. Community transmission won't impact upon my decision.

I respect everyone's position on this because we are all trying to find our way. It is an awful shame though the anger that some feel towards others for how they are coping. It just pulls us apart when we should be trying to understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

Irish Times reporting "Sources indicated that the team would consider potentially “significant” new measures to slow the spread of the virus."

Surprised that the new restrictions have not leaked yet but sounds like something big is coming tomorrow.

Advertisement