Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will there be another lockdown?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

GooglePlus wrote: »
    It's fine, the virus has changed and doesn't spread the way it used to back in March. All is well and there is nothing to be concerned about.

What

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Maybe my ironyometer needs cleaning!

70% alcohol or higher.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Old time mafia bull**** like:

“I wouldn't shop my neighbour's or friends, I look after my side of the street.”

Not really,it's quite simple I just wouldn't shop my friends or neighbours.

I'm aware of the suggested guidelines for covid and abide by them.

If people want to flout it, it's not up to me to go squeeling or touting my fellow men and women.

There's no consequences for being a curtain twitcher or tout, but at the end of the you're a tell tale.
    No ifs or buts about it.

I don’t think I’ve heard someone say about squealing or touting since I was in secondary school. Some people never grow up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Better people than us can decide the latter, but we used employer letters before during the nationwide lockdown so they could be used to commuting again.

So essential workers get their letters and commute to work no problem.

Essential workers like in a meat factory for instance....

Why are the loudest people the ones who put the least thought into things?

The workers in meat factories generally walk from their commune type living facilities that are part of their wages. They tend not to be commuting across counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Newbie20 wrote: »
    That’s why I said suggested. I know it’s hypothetical but it was never mentioned hypothetically earlier in the pandemic.

"Wouldn't be suggested if it was Dublin, Laois and Offaly" - sounds very definitive to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Newbie20 wrote: »
    That lockdown was for the entire country, this suggestion is that it would just apply to 3 counties, that’s completely different.Yes I said the high numbers aren’t being reported in Dublin now, that’s my whole point. When the numbers reported were very high in Dublin there was no suggestion of just locking down Dublin. I have nothing against Dublin, I work there and used to live there, but the government wouldn’t have the balls to lock it down on its own. For a long time Dublin accounted for over 50% of the overall cases but it only accounts for 28% of the population. But it’s a lot easier for them to suggest we might put Offaly into lockdown.
    Anyway I’m presuming these won’t happen unless cases were to increase drastically.

Many of the people who bash Dublin are ones who work and/ or live there. That doesn't prove much.

On topic, there was always talk of localised lockdowns after this one was eased. It was accepted that we would not be going into national lockdown again. The economy just wouldn't withstand that and there would probably be zero compliance. It was right to lock the entire country down when it was.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,637 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Even if no further lockdown I'm sure there will be another "Relaxation of Restrictions" thread.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

The workers in meat factories generally walk from their commune type living facilities that are part of their wages. They tend not to be commuting across counties.

They weren't walking from the provision centre in Newbridge to the factories in Naas and Kildare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Beasty wrote: »
    Even if no further lockdown I'm sure there will be another "Relaxation of Restrictions" thread.....

You might not get banned from that one..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

SNNUS wrote: »
    Two community transmissions and the Karen's are soiling themselves pleading to be locked up and encouraging people to confront people who are not wearing masks although they have no idea that the person may not be able to wear one for medical reasons.

Many people such as yourself seem confused on the issue of the ubiquitous 'Karen'. Your own attitude is, for example, very 'Karen' like.

So, just wear the effing mask if you're one of the 99.6% that doesn't have the mysterious 'medical reason' not to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

From what i have experienced, eastern europeans i have seen in supermarkets around Naas, Newbridge are not adhereing to FM's or SD.

I suspect local restrictions including that of shutting pubs serving food, barbers and the likes in the 3 counties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Why is a meat factory essential? We export 80% of our meat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

They aren’t classed as an essential service as far as I know and if the people who run the industry can’t get a handle on this the government will have to act.

bluelamp wrote: »
    In last nights figures there were two cases of community transmission. TWO.

ONE DEATH in the past week (the others reported weren't even this month.

Why in the name of god would we have a regional or national lockdown, when we have had one death in the past week.

The outbreaks this week and last are very much the governments idiocy, that no amount of improvement in public behaviour would have fixed. (Meat factories and communal living situations like direct provision... and the government were fully aware lots of residents were working in meat factories, and did nothing).

So for one death, and two cases of community transmission.... we have 10,000 Helen Lovejoys screaming for somebody to please think of the children.

Some people are so easily led... these increases are 100% the governments fault - not the publics. But diverting attention by hinting at regional lockdown etc is doing its job nicely.

I mean...I don't want any lockdowns either but I would imagine you are familiar with the fact that this disease spreads from person to person very easily, and that it's better to introduce measures to reduce spread before you have large numbers of cases? In the absence of restrictions, what do you do? Wait for community transmission to become more prevalent and then do something? It's a question of timing.

There will be criticism for "unnecessary" measures taken in advance of wider community transmission where community transmission doesn't manifest/increase and there'll be criticism for not intervening effectively sooner if community transmission does take hold.

I don't see anyone "screaming" for a lockdown regional or otherwise but you have to consider options and decide where the line is so that you can intervene when it's crossed. Doing nothing is not an acceptable choice.

You point to low deaths and low rate of community transmission, which was where we were when this all began to take hold. If we knew back in Jan/Feb what we now know and action had been taken back then including "lockdowns" there would have been complaints at the time sure, but with the benefit of hindsight that would have been the right thing to do. You can't assess the decision to introduce restrictions/lockdowns based on where we are today. You have to consider where this might lead over the next weeks/months.

Many people such as yourself seem confused on the issue of the ubiquitous 'Karen'. Your own attitude is, for example, very 'Karen' like.

So, just wear the effing mask if you're one of the 99.6% that doesn't have the mysterious 'medical reason' not to.

I wear a mask but I don't harrass anyone that does not, confronting strangers is not a good idea as it might be more than a verbal reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

nthclare wrote: »
    Not really,it's quite simple I just wouldn't shop my friends or neighbours.

I'm aware of the suggested guidelines for covid and abide by them.

If people want to flout it, it's not up to me to go squeeling or touting my fellow men and women.

There's no consequences for being a curtain twitcher or tout, but at the end of the you're a tell tale.
    No ifs or buts about it.

Do you do the same if you see a rape or a mugging?

FFS ����

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Don't be an idiot, I'd watch out for my neighbour's and a dog with a mallet up his arse knows you're trying to twist the plot.

If I seen someone at what you're describing the perpetrator would probably get a shovel on the head or worse...

Go on sure tell me that's wrong too, lets go around in circles.

Like I said don't be an idiot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭anndub

I'd imagine it's because we eat the other 20%. I won't even get into the economic consequences of farmers with stock ready for slaughter no longer having a buyer.

Very simplistic viewpoint from many people in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭anndub

MadYaker wrote: »
    They aren’t classed as an essential service as far as I know and if the people who run the industry can’t get a handle on this the government will have to act.

Of course it's an essential service, all food producers are classified as essential. We have to eat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

anndub wrote: »
    Of course it's an essential service, all food producers are classified as essential. We have to eat

Were they open all through lockdown? I guess I’m wrong so.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

It is not essential. During lockdown we can survive on cabbage and spuds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Are they really going to Lockdown 3 Counties ? How will that work ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

SusanC10 wrote: »

Snipers, trenches, gasoline, camps, garlic, Patriot missiles. It's doable.

There won't be a "lockdown" for the three counties. Impossible to police. There will be guideline instructions and some restrictions put in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

They are going to hire Russians to police it.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭seamusk84

There won't be a "lockdown" for the three counties. Impossible to police. There will be guideline instructions and some restrictions put in place.

I swear to god they better not shut the restaurants....I've been looking forward to my dinner and pint all week. Table booked for 20:30 today. :eek:

seamusk84 wrote: »
    I swear to god they better not shut the restaurants....I've been looking forward to my dinner and pint all week. Table booked for 20:30 today. :eek:

You'll be grand for tonight that's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

Boards.ie moderators

Boards.ie moderators

Ah we’ll be grand so- nothing to worry about :P

*runs*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭combat14

dont think ppl will adhere to it this time if not for whole country- ppl have holidays booked!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭gw80

The problem Mr Hitler is the unemplyed "natives" wont do that kind of work.

If we are going to use cheap foreign labour, we need to control our borders better, and also have the management of the DP and factorys enforce tighter controls.
    Ah ,now I can't get dads army theme tune out of me head,
    They will work, when the **** hits the fan,
    There were no fussy eaters in the time of famine.
    I'm not talking about the life long dole heads,I'm talking about the people who were working and who are out of work now,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

There are growing reports of toilet paper stockpiling in Kildare. Oh the humanity.

There are growing reports of toilet paper stockpiling in Kildare. Oh the humanity.

That’s a sign they should just keep it locked down when the residents are that thick.

I'd imagine it's because we eat the other 20%. I won't even get into the economic consequences of farmers with stock ready for slaughter no longer having a buyer.

Very simplistic viewpoint from many people in this thread.

Why is farmers economics more important than a publicans??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Farmeing produces vital food dupplies, pubs don't

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Farmeing produces vital food dupplies, pubs don't

Once over 20% of cattle farms survive we’re golden. We’ll have all the meat supply we need. Smaller ones being propped up by EU grants are unsustainable and the “you have to prop me up, my family have been farmers for generations” can go to the wall like coopers etc did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

MarkR wrote: »
    I think that they will introduce some new measures very soon, in order to knock it back before school is due to start.

Agreed, with 200 cases today, and schools back in under 2 weeks, they need to do something, but what will the new measures look like? Anyone got any idea?

Maybe the NPHET will pick some low hanging fruit?

For example, maybe now is the time to tell offices to re-close if their staff can work from home. Too many offices are starting to reopen which is mostly unnecessary.

• Advertisement

JTMan wrote: »
    Agreed, with 200 cases today, and schools back in under 2 weeks, they need to do something, but what will the new measures look like? Anyone got any idea?

For example, maybe now is the time to tell offices to re-close if their staff can work from home. Too many offices are starting to reopen which is mostly unnecessary.

if offices are not safe to be kept open how can schools with 1 million students in close confinement reopen then .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,507 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

JTMan wrote: »

Close all the meat factories down, I will gladly go without meat rather than having to restrict my life in some pointless box-ticking exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brookers

combat14 wrote: »
    if offices are not safe to be kept open how can schools with 1 million students in close confinement reopen then .....

Nobody can answer me this question, i have been asking this all summer, Irish Times journalists were on the war path trying to get kids back in the spring time with only a couple of weeks to go to their holidays. Mary mccarthy irish independent, irish times, jen hogan, jen o connell. Yet none of these people were able to explain why they were working from home and many many others, soem of my friends have been told their offices not safe enough to return, and yet schools are safe to open. Im not a nutter, im rational, not hysterical, dont suffer anxiety, just asking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

combat14 wrote: »

No school nor office is 'safe', risk can be reduced but they are both enclosed environments with virus risk.

To idea is that some sacrifices need to be made to order to help schools reopen. Maybe one sacrifice could be re-closing offices for those that can work from home.

NPHET are most likely going to have to do something over the coming days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Often wonder who is arriving here on all the flights visible on DAA website every day. But however, this virus is going nowhere. Two or three weeks ago we were clapping each other on the back for the tiny numbers.

Now, it's not so good.

It's a flipping rollercoaster. The minute you think we've a handle on it, next day it is the opposite.

But onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

brookers wrote: »
    Nobody can answer me this question, i have been asking this all summer, Irish Times journalists were on the war path trying to get kids back in the spring time with only a couple of weeks to go to their holidays. Mary mccarthy irish independent, irish times, jen hogan, jen o connell. Yet none of these people were able to explain why they were working from home and many many others, soem of my friends have been told their offices not safe enough to return, and yet schools are safe to open. Im not a nutter, im rational, not hysterical, dont suffer anxiety, just asking.

The big push is on now to get schools opened. That's why the pubs have been closed AFAIS. But it is easy to be a hurler on the ditch like the correspondents you refer to, when others have to go into the coalface.

Schools reopening is going to be an issue. Guidelines from DES? OK, but there is no guidance or anything from Norma. Seems to be up to each BOM or something. I am not one bit impressed.

I dunno. It's a pain in the hoop really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Close all the meat factories down, I will gladly go without meat rather than having to restrict my life in some pointless box-ticking exercise.

Close them down permanently is it? We all go Vegan, hopefully there's enough Potatoes in the country to feed us all...

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Larry Goodman, Simon Coveney is very cushy with him. There is no way the meat plants would stay closed for long.

Surely most practical solution is to keep secondary students in one classroom.and have teacher come/go as much as possible

And have a deep clean in science rooms/gyms every evening,with a wipedown between classes.......

.we have had months to prepare and from.what i see,zero effort has been made to make a zoom type platform available,or any practical proposals from anyone

looks like school will be reopening no matter what as leo said for leaving certificate by 'hook or by crook' but if numbers keep rising 200 today and numbers all week have been bad schools will close again pretty quick unfortunately at this rate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

25 community transmission cases today....virus is rampant....dublin needs locking down

Ah sure, can't we just like cut it off and let it sail away on its own?

No?

Okay.. .. ..

I kinda miss hearing about Brexit everyday since old COVID reared its ugly head :mad: Just seemed less.. depressing.

Advertisement