Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will there be another lockdown?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,201 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

JTMan wrote: »
    Irish Times reporting "Sources indicated that the team would consider potentially “significant” new measures to slow the spread of the virus."

Surprised that the new restrictions have not leaked yet but send like something big is coming tomorrow.

Sure what else can they do other than do county by county restrictions ?

There's not an awful lot left in terms of cards to play here.

Country cant afford another lockdown or any sort of prolonged set of restrictions.

To be honest it stinks of a PR exercise, put out soundbites in the hope that it increases compliance without actually having to do anything

• Registered Users Posts: 28,831 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

To be honest it stinks of a PR exercise, put out soundbites in the hope that it increases compliance without actually having to do anything

Rte reporting it also, restrictions incoming!

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭gral6

I'd rather put some restrictions on NPHET itself. Just lock these idiots up forever.

gral6 wrote:
    I'd rather put some restrictions on NPHET itself. Just lock these idiots up forever.

Those idiots are keeping people alive, but I guess that's foolish!

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Rte reporting it also, restrictions incoming!

RTE reporting what? An interview saying that NPHET meets tomorrow to consider everything as they do every week?

So tell me what restrictions can they bring in ?

• Advertisement

So tell me what restrictions can they bring in ?

Who knows, guess we ll find out soon

Who knows, guess we ll find out soon

Apart from localised restrictions are the 3 counties have seen there isnt reason currently to extend this country wide.

If they think there's fatigue in terms of restrictions then further restrictions isn't exactly going to see big public buy in now is it ?

I see house parties being mentioned yet again this morning too which have been going on throughout, cant exactly be stopped and here we are 6 months later again bringing them up.

All well and good people shouting for restrictions but what exactly do you suggest

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭gral6

Those idiots are keeping people alive, but I guess that's foolish!

These idiots have saved no one.

All well and good people shouting for restrictions but what exactly do you suggest

Suggest for what? It's a highly contagious virus, we ve no choice but to restrict movements, in order to deal with it

gral6 wrote:

Oh I beg to differ, how do you know this?

• Advertisement

Suggest for what? It's a highly contagious virus, we ve no choice but to restrict movements, in order to deal with it

You've said restrictions incoming. You cant restrict people for long periods of time as we've seen.

I'm asking what restrictions you suggest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

I know plenty of people living in Argentina, and many people shrugged off lockdown. The clusters originally started in shanty towns and shacks, and people living off no money cant sit inside and do nothing. So they set out and did their stuff. Poor people in Argentina do not beg for money. They offer to do a job for you (and a minority threat your parked car damage without an advanced payment), they came door-to-door offering services, and it spread through middle-upper class neighbourhoods this way.

By June most people had enough. The welfare Argentina offered is nowhere near enough for a living and many people got on with their lives. Many places flouted lockdown and re-opened and protests on streets happened in every major city, and police forces backed down.
    It is interesting the number of developing countries introduced quite strict lockdowns early on. Were the governing classes so out of touch that they thought that people could stay home and watch Netflix indefinitely? Perhaps there was an element of national pride and governments wanted to show the world that they were a country that could afford a proper lockdown unlike their poorer neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭isup

road_high wrote: »
    The last one being such a resounding success let’s do it again two months later...
    We can’t afford another lockdown like March. Business took a lot in the chin but won’t this time as we’ve seen in LOK

It's the people who are gathering and acting like the virus is gone that will cause another lockdown. So everyone will be punished. There is a big divide

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

.. Perhaps there was an element of national pride and governments wanted to show the world that they were a country that could afford a proper lockdown unlike their poorer neighbours.

Yes,that's why we had a lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I wonder what that number looks like and what will happen when we reach it.

It looks like a duck egg and when we reach it globally, things will start to normalise.
    Otherwise, there's no sense to any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,851 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Sheepdish1 wrote: »
    Do any of you think there will be another lockdown coming into the winter months? The cases seem to be climbing but at least we know where they are originating from now which is good. Hospitals are managing pretty well too!

If cases go high along with hospital admissions will the country lockdown again to keep our healthcare system functioning?

Localised to certain areas.

The LOKdown is annoying people because parts of kildare are far away from the outbreak so it might evwn be 1 town e.g. Newbridge or Naas

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

You've said restrictions incoming. You cant restrict people for long periods of time as we've seen.

I'm asking what restrictions you suggest

wouldnt have a clue, i ll leave that to the professionals

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭trixi001

i_surge wrote: »
    Unless you are travelling to perform a physical task there should be no work travel.

So no trips to Brussels without self isolation then
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/taoiseach-diplomatic-sherpa-and-assistant-secretary-exempt-from-14-day-quarantine-1.4307017

If they can get away without self isolating by taking a test - why can't other people who "have" to go abroad?

I don't consider going to a meeting that could be done virtually as essential!

The only foreign trips essential as you said to perform a physical task that cannot be done by someone else, or visiting a terminally ill close relative to say goodbye. And even these should require the self isolation.

Its sets a very bad example if the Taoiseach doesn't self isolate - what is the point in the green list, its obviously not considered unsafe to travel to Belgium

• Registered Users Posts: 21,458 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Cant see there being another full lockdown.
    We do need something though, 260 cases over the weekend is shocking.

gral6 wrote: »
    Are you that foolish?

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    Cant see there being another full lockdown.
    We do need something though, 260 cases over the weekend is shocking.

With the number of cases over the last 14 days being what they were and contact tracing etc I'd find it more shocking if the cases detected were much lower tbh given the R number is close to 2 now.

Also a single day's results can't be taken in isolation, they have to be viewed in 3 or 5 successive days IMO :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Maybe not a full lockdown but we can and probably will reimpose some restrictions restrictions. People want it. We just need to have realistic expectations about what will actually be achieved in terms of curtailing the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

JTMan wrote: »
    Irish Times reporting "Sources indicated that the team would consider potentially “significant” new measures to slow the spread of the virus."

Surprised that the new restrictions have not leaked yet but sounds like something big is coming tomorrow.

I’d say it’ll be rolling back the opening up of the economy but it won’t be a proper lockdown just yet.

Augeo wrote: »
    With the number of cases over the last 14 days being what they were and contact tracing etc I'd find it more shocking if the cases detected were much lower tbh given the R number is close to 2 now.

Also a single day's results can't be taken in isolation, they have to be viewed in 3 or 5 successive days IMO :)
    It's 2 days over the weekend, where the numbers are usually lower.
    We're starting to see the impact (given the 2-3 week lag) of removal of restrictions.

The interesting trend is that while cases are skyrocketing, deaths are not. I would question is that because a) elderly and other at risk groups are still cocooning or b) virus has mutated to be more transmissible and less deadly. A la the flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Restrictions are coming, will be more aligned with protecting the elderly and those in vulnerable situations for the medium term as a continued effort is made to allow the economy to function.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/dramatic-action-needed-to-reduce-spread-of-covid-19-infectious-disease-expert-1.4331644

We need a change in policy. Our policy is too emergency/reactionary mode given we are over six months into this.

I agree with with the scientists, such as Mcconkey et Al. Aim for zero covid given that we live on one of the few islands in Europe. We need to exploit our geographical advantages.

(1) Govt announce zero covid policy.
    (2) Announce strict lockdown in ROI given cases have increased in all counties North/South.
    (3) Implement strict quarantine/controls at our airports/ports.
    (4) Diplomacy/engagement for NI and UK to follow similar border controls etc.

Or, just simply, go with the New Zealand approach, close the airports

ELM327 wrote: »
    Or, just simply, go with the New Zealand approach, close the airports

cant see it happening at all, so we could be living with this for a while yet

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I've got my first holiday of the year planned, within Ireland, this week. I am really hoping there's no lockdown as I've already had holidays cancelled twice.

• Advertisement

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/dramatic-action-needed-to-reduce-spread-of-covid-19-infectious-disease-expert-1.4331644

We need a change in policy. Our policy is too emergency/reactionary mode given we are over six months into this.

I agree with with the scientists, such as Mcconkey et Al. Aim for zero covid given that we live on one of the few islands in Europe. We need to exploit our geographical advantages.

(1) Govt announce zero covid policy.
    (2) Announce strict lockdown in ROI given cases have increased in all counties North/South.
    (3) Implement strict quarantine/controls at our airports/ports.
    (4) Diplomacy/engagement for NI and UK to follow similar border controls etc.

Ok so zero covid, shut ourselves off from everywhere for how long ? Until a vaccine? We're not New Zealand out in the middle of nowhere, the only comparison is we're both islands and it ends there.

We have 2 different countries on the same island with no border and different policies. You honestly think NI / UK will decide yeah let's do the same thing as Ireland. Johnson isn't going to roll back now.

Its just not going to happen.

Advertisement