Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Onto Achill Island, really warm. No waves on the beach almost lake like! Blue skies aswell every direction bar the south and they seem to be not moving and just staying still.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

25c in Sligo now. Dont know if we will beat the 26.8c but will be close :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Another lovely day, I could get used to this.

Nice temperature too, enough to enjoy but not that heat which tires you out. Can actually function and do stuff.

If only it was like this all the time.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

After a dull and cloudy start it's hazy sunshine and temps around 20º just by the coast in Dun Laoghaire in Dublin.

It feels nice but it's actually just normal summer weather for Dublin at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭endainoz

km79 wrote: »
    All we need now is farmers praying for rain Cos the ground is parched and the cycle will be complete once again
    One week of nice weather and people wishing it away again

No fear of that after the mid week thunderstorms, ground is far from parched, and nobody is "wishing it away". The drought like conditions happened early on in the summer because it didn't rain for nearly three months, and once again the west is getting the best of the weather, makes a nice change.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

endainoz wrote: »
    No fear of that after the mid week thunderstorms, ground is far from parched, and nobody is "wishing it away". The drought like conditions happened early on in the summer because it didn't rain for nearly three months, and once again the west is getting the best of the weather, makes a nice change.

Certainly no drought here in the east, ground is only starting to get less mucky after the July deluges. The warm spell never really got going at any stage in Dublin and surrounding counties with mostly a cloudy and misty week with temperatures close to average with the exception of maybe Wednesday. The last time we had 2 sunny days in a row was June the 2nd.

I am still trying to figure out how this spell has gone so pear shaped for the Dublin area and it's commuter belt. Hopefully we will get better luck next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Finner 25 degrees at 6pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Gonzo wrote: »
    Certainly no drought here in the east, ground is only starting to get less mucky after the July deluges. The warm spell never really got going at any stage in Dublin and surrounding counties with mostly a cloudy and misty week with temperatures close to average with the exception of maybe Wednesday. The last time we had 2 sunny days in a row was June the 2nd.

I am still trying to figure out how this spell has gone so pear shaped for the Dublin area and it's commuter belt. Hopefully we will get better luck next summer.

Surely with the Eastery quadrant in play the East coast was never expecting much from this spell??!

Been lovely in the West - today was the first fully overcast day but still dry and very warm

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The cloud began to lift by late afternoon, so very few clouds in the sky this evening. It's a pity we'll back to normal Atlantic conditions soon enough. Another day trip somewhere is in order before Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Ireland is located in the most geographically disadvantaged region on the entire planet regarding climate. The near constant blandness of our weather is almost embarrassing.

Very true. In some ways we are fortunate we don't get extremes, but if you are a weather enthusiast, who likes a bit of action, it is frustrating that we rarely get severe thunderstorms or epic snow events very often.Though, I suppose when they do come along we appreciate them even more as a consequence. I recall DongealStorm mentioned he kind of got complacent about thunderstorms while in Asia because they were a regular occurrence. Would you get bored of severe Wind storms if we were guaranteed them every December and January?

• Advertisement

Tried a few times to hit 26c on home thermometer but got 25.6c Markree got 25c twice
    Finner 25c once

Maybe 25.1c yesterday beaten by Markree

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

Turned into a lovely evening in Kildare. High of 21.2°c

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

highdef wrote: »
    Still dull and overcast in North Kildare but hoping the clearance is imminent as per further south in the county.

Too late for my planned lunchtime sunbathing session though :mad:

Yep. North Kildare was warm and humid but v little sunshine

Driving into Galway it became dull and slate grey skies since along with a bit of mist at some time. Dry at the moment though but warm and humid here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Cloud cleared here around 6pm, too little too late temperatures hovered around 16 to 18C for most of today and peaked at 19C as the sun poked out just after 6. It never really felt warm at any point today due to the misty conditions and low hanging cloud. Current temperature 16C.

Tomorrow is basically a repeat of today.

Warmest across the west, North-west and midlands with temperatures in the low 20's there, perhaps 23 or 24C in a few places but 18 to 22C more generally. Cooler across the south and east with temperatures in the Dublin and surrounding areas once again struggling to make it much past 17 or 18C tomorrow with another mostly cloudy day and a cool breeze in from the Irish sea.

A mostly dry day tomorrow but showers across the south will spread northwards towards evening with showers across many eastern areas tomorrow night. Showers may be slightly thundery across the south tomorrow but the risk of thunder is very low risk at this stage.

Another mild day on Sunday then cooler conditions spreading across the country from Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,109 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It's currently 21.0°c with a humidity of 92%. West Clare.

Christ. I can't remember such a warm night!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Max for today

Markree in Sligo 25.2 degrees
    Oak park in Carlow 24.9
    Newport 23.6
    Shannon 23
    Mount Dillon 22.6
    Mace head 22.3

Wow my back garden was the warmest place in Ireland at 25.6c:cool:

You left out Finner 24.9c

In fact after tomorrow it will have been over 20c in Finner 10 days in a row. Not bad going for one of the coldest wettest stations in July

• Registered Users Posts: 18,109 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Max of 24.5°c here in West Clare today, dewpoint maxed out at 21°c.

Currently 20.3°c with 91% humidity. The bedroom is a nice toasty 26°c. Think I might sleep outside!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Another stunning day today, this has quickly gone from what was forecast to be a brief respite from the atlantic dross last weekend to the best spell of August weather in years. Went for a hike earlier and was drenched afterwards, really humid and sticky heat. Very murky as well and driving home I drove through one random patch of dense fog with blue skies all around. Guessing there was a stream or something in the area but just shows how high the humidity was.

Very true. In some ways we are fortunate we don't get extremes, but if you are a weather enthusiast, who likes a bit of action, it is frustrating that we rarely get severe thunderstorms or epic snow events very often.Though, I suppose when they do come along we appreciate them even more as a consequence. I recall DongealStorm mentioned he kind of got complacent about thunderstorms while in Asia because they were a regular occurrence. Would you get bored of severe Wind storms if we were guaranteed them every December and January?

Yep, when you're guaranteed a thunderstorm almost every day and one that would go down in Irish folklore every couple of weeks I found even the spectacular ones eventually lose their novelty factor.

The problem I have with our climate though is we so rarely get anything of interest that it just wears you down as a weather enthusiast, we can go an entire year where the most talked about weather event is an unusually breezy day in January!

There's definitely a middle ground between something losing its magic for being too frequent and being so rare that you start losing interest in it as a hobby. I think maybe the near continent is a sweet spot, bland and forgettable much of the year but always at a reliable risk of big thunderstorms/heatwaves/snow etc if things are just right

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Gonzo wrote: »
    Cloud cleared here around 6pm, too little too late temperatures hovered around 16 to 18C for most of today and peaked at 19C as the sun poked out just after 6. It never really felt warm at any point today due to the misty conditions and low hanging cloud. Current temperature 16C.

Tomorrow is basically a repeat of today.

I really feel sorry for yea Meath lads. Like the west Waterford lads, yea miss out on everything Irish weather has to offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

94-99% humidity reported in most met eireann stations.
    Whats the story with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

sweet_trip wrote: »
    94-99% humidity reported in most met eireann stations.
    Whats the story with that?

There's nothing unusual about that. It's a relatively moist airmass now, with dewpoints around mid-teens. With relatively clear skies (or mainly high cloud) the air cools down and when it reaches the dewpoint the r.h. values tends towards 100%. Most stations are currently reporting mist and fog as a result.

High r.h. has no real meaning unless the temperature is known for context. We can get 100% at any time of the year, but how "humid" that feels depends on the temperature (or more importantly, the dewpoint).

523029.png

523030.png

523031.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

It was a very wet night here in West Cork. HEavy rain and thunder and lightning, Lots of places badly flooded
    http://https://twitter.com/SouthernStarIRL/status/129453345962970317

Looks like I missed another big thunderstorm in West cork, sister was texting me about it. Plenty of lightning and bangs of thunder, heavy rain and lots of roads down west are once again impassable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Finally some nice sun here on NCD.

I hope it lasts!

first sunny day here in a whole week, real sun and not the very hazy type that only shines for a few seconds at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Grey and heavily overcast in Galway yet again. Even under the easterly flow, that would normally bring the best of the conditions here, we end up with just a repeat of the what we had during the westerly July.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Warm and hazy Doolin

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement