Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

We had a red sky last night, but certainly no shepherd's delight this morning. Dull, dank and drab with a sky that looks to be directly taken out of the mid-January playbook.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

20c in Oak Park 11pm

Maybe they will beat yesterdays 25.1c

In Heathrow in London temperature has been over 33c past 6 or 7 days
    Is that unusual?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

pauldry wrote: »
    Is that unusual?

Not sure but this Welshman might help...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

chilly breeze in North Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

20c in Oak Park 11pm

Is that unusual?

I live fairly close to Oak Park, the sun is only starting to come out now so I'd imagine it will get a good bit warmer as the day goes on.

• Advertisement

Forecast is for about 24c here today but can't see that happening. Thick low cloud that shows no sign of breaking at all. Yet, upon looking at the infrared satellite images, you'd swear we were basking under clear skies. Cloud must be warm.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

typhoony wrote: »
    seems to a lot of cloud over the country this morning, we'd need it to break up in the afternoon to see those temps climb up into the mid to upper 20's, not sure that will happen.

yep as has been the case throughout this spell as long as the cloud cover remains, temperature potential could be reduced by as much as 4 or 5C unfortunately. What can go wrong will go wrong is certainly the case for much of Dublin and Leinster over the past week. We have very warm uppers over us but they are going to complete waste with all this murky cloud.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

20c in Oak Park 11pm

Is that unusual?

I wouldn't say it's that unusual for London, they often get mid to high twenties sometimes for weeks on end and low 30's is not usual over there but perhaps an unbroken run of 7 days in a row is.

A week of temperatures above 23C in Ireland would be more unusual than a week of 30+ in London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Wet in South wexford now. Woken up by thunderstorm last night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Disgustingly nasty out there! Dead air, all humidity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A very overcast start to the day in Castlebar, 18.4C and nearly 98% making it feel quite sticky and oppressive.

The heatwave looks like it's now over in the UK with much cooler air getting in there although still fairly warm across southern and western areas. Sunshine is becoming much more limited there too.

For us no real change mostly cloudy and temperatures into the low twenties. Again the models from yesterday seem way off the mark for our temperature potential with all this cloud keeping our temperatures held back. We continue with fairly mild or warm temperatures for another week but temperatures dipping very slowly as next week carries on till we end up with average temperatures or slightly below by next weekend.

temp_uk.png

A lot of this cloud will burn through the day

You might see a 27c reported by 6 or 7pm

Gonzo wrote: »
    yep as has been the case throughout this spell as long as the cloud cover remains, temperature potential could be reduced by as much as 4 or 5C unfortunately. What can go wrong will go wrong is certainly the case for much of Dublin and Leinster over the past week. We have very warm uppers over us but they are going to complete waste with all this murky cloud.

Mean max temps in Dublin and Dunsany are quite favourable this month so far. It is the west coast that coming out hardest hit once again, just as it has done all summer.

New Moon

Unfortunately I've been saying that to myself for the past week and it hasn't happened yet! I've never seen a bank of cloud so stubborn to break up with so much potential for great weather around all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

I wouldn't say it's that unusual for London, they often get mid to high twenties sometimes for weeks on end and low 30's is not usual over there but perhaps an unbroken run of 7 days in a row is.

A week of temperatures above 23C in Ireland would be more unusual than a week of 30+ in London.

A run of temperatures above 33 is unprecedented for London.

Yesterday the Met Office posted on Twitter that in a record dating back to 1961, the current heatwave is the first time temperatures of 34 C and above have been recorded for 6 days in a row.

England is experiencing truly exceptional and record breaking conditions.

I’ll be the first to point the finger at people who compare our weather to London but this must be the first time Dublin has so spectacularly missed on out good weather just across the Irish Sea.

yes I was surprised nobody batted an eyelid at them temps.

I just feel the extreme heat is getting slightly more North each year.......though it could be 100 years before Ireland (the last country in the world) is affected by this.

In all seriousness though at some stage most Summers now we see temperatures over 25c

There was a run of Summers where 25c was rare

Its getting more common but we are still getting more than our lions share of crap

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Mean max temps in Dublin and Dunsany are quite favourable this month so far. It is the west coast that coming out hardest hit once again, just as it has done all summer.

I think I would swap with the west throughout this Spring and Summer as they have had generally better sunshine and had warmer temperatures in the Spring and indeed over the past week as well.

Dunsany's current August mean temperature is above average but it is lower than many stations across the country with a reading of 15.4C. This is a direct result by our almost complete lack of sunshine throughout August so far whereas the mean temperature in many western and southern stations is now over 16C as a result of this warm spell combined with decent levels of sunshine.

Dunsany current mean: 15.4C
    Oak Park: 16.2C
    Athenry 15.8C
    Cork 16.3C
    Shannon 16.6C
    Roches Point 16.0C
    Phoenix Park 16. 3C
    Mount Dillon 15.8C
    Moore Park 16.3C
    Johnstown Castle 16.1C

The only places lower than Dunsany are the stations in the north-west and Dublin Airport. Grass growth has also been very poor throughout this summer with such little sunlight getting through and right now August is looking every bit as poor as July in terms of sunshine here in Meath anyway.

Today is another very poor day, feeling on the cool side and temperatures held back in the teens yet again, it's almost as cool as Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

They are telling us that for last 5 days in Dublin + it never happens, sun never appears.

July and August in Sligo like night and day, literally too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Haven't been keeping a great track of the daily sun totals this month but Cork Apt is on 86.4 hrs which is about average for this point in August or slightly above whilst Dublin Apt is on 40.3 hrs, almost half of what it should be by this point in the month.

Don't think it's out of the realm of possibility now that Dublin will see a record dull summer, would need quite a sunny second half of August to make up for the loss and not set a record.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Haven't been keeping a great track of the daily sun totals this month but Cork Apt is on 86.4 hrs which is about average for this point in August or slightly above whilst Dublin Apt is on 40.3 hrs, almost half of what it should be by this point in the month.

Don't think it's out of the realm of the possibility now that Dublin will see a record dull summer, would need quite a sunny second half of August to make up for the loss and not set a record.

July was dullest at DA for 34 years so I definitely say we are track here for one of dullest summers in DA.

August at least has been warmer + drier but temperature in Dublin haven't been as good as rest of the country.

yes I was surprised nobody batted an eyelid at them temps.

I just feel the extreme heat is getting slightly more North each year.......though it could be 100 years before Ireland (the last country in the world) is affected by this.

In all seriousness though at some stage most Summers now we see temperatures over 25c

There was a run of Summers where 25c was rare

Its getting more common but we are still getting more than our lions share of crap
    Isn't it curious though that recent summer heatwaves in the UK always seem to be concentrated in the SE and London in particular? If we look at CET records (which is a better measure of wider distribution of temperatures in southern part of GB), we see that max records for most months (all except 2) remain unchallenged in this current century.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/hadobs/hadcet/cet_record_breakers.html

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

appledrop wrote: »
    July was dullest at DA for 34 years so I definitely say we are track here for one of dullest summers in DA.

August at least has been warmer + drier but temperature in Dublin haven't been as good as rest of the country.

To go from the sunniest spring (sunnier than all but 2 summers) to the dullest summer with almost 300 hours less would be one of the most comical things I've seen - that and the coincidence of the weather with lockdown.

You can't make up this crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

It was 23 in Dublin today according to met eireann

Yesterday was the only warm day in Dublin of the run. Even Sunny Saturday wasn’t actually that warm. And yesterday the warmth came with cloud. It was pleasant but when all around you is basking in sunshine, it hard not to feel disgruntled.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    To go from the sunniest spring (sunnier than all but 2 summers) to the dullest summer with almost 300 hours less would be one of the most comical things I've seen - that and the coincidence of the weather with lockdown.

You can't make up this crap.

The thing is aswell that because weather has been so nice around rest of country, August will probably end up being classed overall as sunny + warm if things continue on but that won't be case for Dublin. Unless we get our own heatwave before the end of the month!

I think I would swap with the west throughout this Spring and Summer as they have had generally better sunshine and had warmer temperatures in the Spring and indeed over the past week as well.

Dunsany's current August mean temperature is above average but it is lower than many stations across the country with a reading of 15.4C. This is a direct result by our almost complete lack of sunshine throughout August so far whereas the mean temperature in many western and southern stations is now over 16C as a result of this warm spell combined with decent levels of sunshine.

Dunsany current mean: 15.4C
    Oak Park: 16.2C
    Athenry 15.8C
    Cork 16.3C
    Shannon 16.6C
    Roches Point 16.0C
    Phoenix Park 16. 3C
    Mount Dillon 15.8C
    Moore Park 16.3C
    Johnstown Castle 16.1C

The only places lower than Dunsany are the stations in the north-west and Dublin Airport. Grass growth has also been very poor throughout this summer with such little sunlight getting through and right now August is looking every bit as poor as July in terms of sunshine here in Meath anyway.

Today is another very poor day, feeling on the cool side and temperatures held back in the teens yet again, it's almost as cool as Monday.

Great response and read there Gonzo, but I think you are looking at the summer here in the west through some rose tints, because while we had a sunny most of June (as did most of the country) we went through weeks without seeing any sun at all during July. It is really only since last weekend that we have seen any decent sun, which apart from yesterday, was still quite broken. Today is back to square one with that heavy dullness that we experienced throughout July and what is worse, it is more humid and sicklier with it this time around.

New Moon

Yesterday was the only warm day in Dublin of the run. Even Sunny Saturday wasn’t actually that warm. And yesterday the warmth came with cloud. It was pleasant but when all around you is basking in sunshine, it hard not to feel disgruntled.

Yep we have had the grand total of 3.2 hours of sunshine over last four days+ today is certainly not going to add to that by looks of things!

compsys wrote: »
    A run of temperatures above 33 is unprecedented for London.

Yesterday the Met Office posted on Twitter that in a record dating back to 1961, the current heatwave is the first time temperatures of 34 C and above have been recorded for 6 days in a row.

England is experiencing truly exceptional and record breaking conditions.

I’ll be the first to point the finger at people who compare our weather to London but this must be the first time Dublin has so spectacularly missed on out good weather just across the Irish Sea.

No. When the highest ever temperature was recorded in the UK in August 2003 (possibly been beaten since?), the UK had sunny, sweltering weather all week. In Dublin, we had temperatures in the 20s alright but accompanied by overcast, sticky conditions every single day. It’s stuck in my mind because I was so disgruntled about it.

• Advertisement

appledrop wrote: »
    Yep we have had the grand total of 3.2 hours of sunshine over last four days+ today is certainly not going to add to that by looks of things!

I will say though that last night in Dublin was balmy. Hubs and I sat out on the balcony until the wee small hours and not a hint of a nip in the air. Very pleasant. If I closed my eyes, I could pretend I was in the Algarve.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement