Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

I will say though that last night in Dublin was balmy. Hubs and I sat out on the balcony until the wee small hours and not a hint of a nip in the air. Very pleasant. If I closed my eyes, I could pretend I was in the Algarve.

Me too. I had to force myself to go to bed at 1.30 it was so pleasant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Turned out as a lovely afternoon in Sligo, driving around and it's very warm again at about 22 degrees and sunny (only a few clouds around)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭obi604

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Great response and read there Gonzo, but I think you are looking at the summer here in the west through some rose tints, because while we had a sunny most of June (as did most of the country) we went through weeks without seeing any sun at all during July. It is really only since last weekend that we have seen any decent sun, which apart from yesterday, was still quite broken. Today is back to square one with that heavy dullness that we experienced throughout July and what is worse, it is more humid and sicklier with it this time around.

very true, previous to this current spell, its been ****e for weeks in East Galway anyways. there was days of just endless rain and drizzle and the dubs had sun etc so fair enough not great in the east this last few days week as regards sun but ye have had it 100 times better than the west this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭OldRio

It's got cloudier as the day has got on. Co. Leitrim.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

getting brighter finally here in Meath, a glimse of sun just now and temperature now 22C.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Gonzo wrote: »
    getting brighter finally here in Meath, a glimse of sun just now and temperature now 22C.

Feckin' sunny here too now in my corner of Dublin. I'll take it but WTF, weather? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Was down around Sligo earlier (can see now why Pauldry is complaining about roadworks) and it was lovely and sunny all afternoon. Increasingly cloudy again now though still feeling warm and humid

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

The roadworks in Sligo are a bit mad alright, loads of stuff happening.

Increasingly cloudy here now, was in Donegal aswell and it's slowly moving up from the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Nice sunny afternoon in Dublin, 21 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 41 smurph6

Can anyone hazard a guess as to what the weather will be like the weekend after next. Hoping to go up to sligo the 21st and then camp around Donegal for a few days from the 24th

• Advertisement

Have tomorrow off. Is anywhere promised sunny. Looks like west not great tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭The Wordress

Another blissfully warm day in Donegal.

Our one week anniversary tomorrow of the start of our heatwave. Looks good over the weekend too.

I literally have every stitch in the house washed. There's been great drying out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

9pm

Finner 21 degrees
    Ballyhaise 21 degrees
    Moorepark 21 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

What I would do for a fresh polar maritime northwesterly

This weather is the worst,

Humid and dull for 90% of daytime then muggy and sticky overnight

It's like we import the worst attributes of a warm plume!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Going to be 19C and sticky right through the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

I wish we could have more of these mild evenings and night, even better at the weekend when you can sit outside and not be cold!

Duvet-less nights are also lovely although I do tend to put the AC on, on warm weekday nights so I can get the best sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

What I would do for a fresh polar maritime northwesterly

This weather is the worst,

Humid and dull for 90% of daytime then muggy and sticky overnight

It's like we import the worst attributes of a warm plume!

I’m the complete opposite to you. Loving this weather. Was out for a walk by the sea and it was just great being in a T-shirt and shorts at 9pm. 18 C and high humidity.

I’m sure your polar maritime northwesterly will be back in a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I've had enough cheap Atlantic muck northwesterlies for one lifetime, it's perfect feeling at the moment for me and today was very nice once that cloud cleared.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

How do people who can't sleep in Ireland survive abroad!

The only time I have ever been too hot at night in Ireland was during the real heatwave in 2018 + even then still not same as abroad.

I still have a duvet on at moment + my house isn't cold its B rated.

I'll never forgot my first time abroad + stepping off that plane into the oven. How I will miss it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

All we need now is farmers praying for rain Cos the ground is parched and the cycle will be complete once again
    One week of nice weather and people wishing it away again

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

appledrop wrote: »

In Spain with 30+C daytime and 24C nighttime minimums during the summer I sleep there better than I do in Ireland. For starters the nights are darker for longer so instead of it getting bright at 3.30am like in Ireland, it gets bright in Spain around 6am. More importantly the air conditioning is very pleasant and you don't wake up in a pool of sweat like on those rare warm Irish summer nights.

Spain and most other European countries have air conditioning everywhere, their buildings are built for warm climates and the air conditoning allows you to set the room temperature at night to a level that you are very comfortable with.

I am amazed that most homes in London do not have air conditoning, they need it but they don't bother because they feel their climate doesn't require it, however London get's plenty of very warm and sticky night and If I was living there I would have air conditioning, sleeping in London can be very uncomfortable in the summer for that reason. However most continental countries do not have this problem because they are geared for warm or hot summers.

I turn off the aircon at night when I'm abroad!

Seriously I don't need it at night. Id leave it on till going to bed but that's it. Ill admit sometimes I will wake up sweating at say 6 when sun shinning but I'd get too cold if I slept with aircon on.

100% need it in day but I love heat at night.

Now you all know why I complain so much about weather in Ireland. I'm a cold creature!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Zero wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I'm liking this "room temperature" weather. Outside in shorts in Ireland at midnight and not feeling a chill? Thank you, very much.

Phone says 17 degrees at 96% humidity, like a diet version of tropical weather.

More of this please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Likewise I love weather like this, one thing I always love when in hot countries is being able to lie outdoors with a beer on a warm balmy night and just take in the atmosphere.

Something that's not possible/enjoyable in this country except for very rare nights like tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

appledrop wrote: »

The only time I have ever been too hot at night in Ireland was during the real heatwave in 2018 + even then still not same as abroad.

I still have a duvet on at moment + my house isn't cold its B rated.

I'll never forgot my first time abroad + stepping off that plane into the oven. How I will miss it this year.

Air con in any holiday accommodation I choose. And even if there isn’t air con, the southern European heat tends to be far less humid.

Though I have less trouble sleeping on warm, humid nights in Ireland as I get older for some reason. We have a duvet on our bed currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

Looks like the weather will last to Sundayvthen gradually cooler and windier

• Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Another cracking day in the far North yesterday, lovely temperature. Its been a great last few days.

Hoping for more of the same today and hopefully over the weekend.

It has started off hazy/misty, hope to see that burn off quickly this morning.

Any thoughts on where in the country will get sun today?

Where I am now (east galway) is dreary.

• Advertisement

obi604 wrote: »
    Any thoughts on where in the country will get sun today?

Well stay away from Dublin anyway not a hope.

Another misty, dull start.

But as per usual Met Eireann app has it sunny all day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement