Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

Sligo

Today might be our hottest day of the Summer

26.8c in June is our record.

We are currently 20c though bubbling cloud might keep us "down" at 24c.
    It was 17c at 630am when I got up so a good start.

However remember if coming to Sligo allow 2 and a half extra hours if going to Rosses Point between 5 and 7pm due to roadworks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭obi604

pauldry wrote: »
    Sligo

Today might be our hottest day of the Summer

26.8c in June is our record.

We are currently 20c though bubbling cloud might keep us "down" at 24c.
    It was 17c at 630am when I got up so a good start.

However remember if coming to Sligo allow 2 and a half extra hours if going to Rosses Point between 5 and 7pm due to roadworks.

Thank you. Do you reckon cloud will stick in Sligo or will it be sunny?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

What a morning in Sligo again (ignoring yesterday!). Blue skies, warm and people eating outside. Really makes the river up here just look really nice!

Not what I expected when we came up here. Was expecting the usual wet, grey weather the north west gets but nope turns out to be the opposite and Cork is actually getting the bad weather! That or we just brought the good weather of the weekend up here with us :) wish I had read pauldrys tosses point tips though, we got stuck in it for an hour.

Off to Galway next today which from the forecast doesn't look to be as nice as up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭OldRio

km79 wrote: »
    All we need now is farmers praying for rain Cos the ground is parched and the cycle will be complete once again
    One week of nice weather and people wishing it away again

In this area the ground is too wet and no Hay was cut this year and non will be. Dreadful summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

obi604 wrote: »
    Thank you. Do you reckon cloud will stick in Sligo or will it be sunny?

Its hard to know because air is unstable but 24 or 25c will be attained in Sligo today at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Remained dull, heavy and humid all day yesterday in Galway yet temps still climbed to 24c +. Dull, overcast and humid again this morning. Clearly, we are being rightfully chastised for having a couple of half sunny days earlier in the week.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Overcast and dull in North Kildare...A few drops of rain earlier too. However I have a feeling it will brighten up.

But does anyone else think it's rather cold? I hope the temps increase as we move into the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

19 - 20C in Cork today, overcast completely not a hope of sun. But feels much fresher than recent days, its a bit of a relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

seamusk84 wrote: »
    Overcast and dull in North Kildare...A few drops of rain earlier too. However I have a feeling it will brighten up.

But does anyone else think it's rather cold? I hope the temps increase as we move into the afternoon.

Yup. It’s colder now than it was anytime last night

• Registered Users Posts: 18,109 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

22.2°c in West Clare, mostly overcast and humidity of 86%.

First time I've seen a DP of 20°c in a long time.

Very sticky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

appledrop wrote: »
    How do people who can't sleep in Ireland survive abroad!

It might be that many Irish homes do not have an air conditioning system, whereas when they go on Holidays to sun spots most of those places would have. Also high humidity is a lot more tolerable if you are close to the sea.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

pad199207 wrote: »
    Yup. It’s colder now than it was anytime last night

yep it's getting cooler along the east coast due to the onshore winds keeping the temperatures down. Same thing is happening in the UK.

Dublin and eastern parts of Leinster may struggle to get much above 18C over the next few days because of this reason. The west is the place to be over the next few days with warmer weather and more in the way of sunshine.

temp_uk.png

Today's predicted temperatures keeps Dublin and surrounding areas in the mid to high teens due to that breeze and cloud.

fmiuk-41-18-0.png?14-07

Saturday is similar with eastern parts always cooler.

fmiuk-41-41-0.png?14-08

It looks like the west is the place to be over the next 2 or 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

23.2C currently in Castlebar, the cloud is now starting to burn off nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Currently in a packed Rosses Point in Sligo, heaven.
    Nice NE onshore breeze cooling ever so slightly, mid twenties already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Dull and damp in wexford as it has been for the last few days. Hopefully it'll clear up, but I won't get my hopes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Currently at a pitstop in Ballina in Mayo. Driving towards the cloud unfortunately but warm and sunny here still.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

It might be that many Irish homes do not have an air conditioning system, whereas when they go on Holidays to sun spots most of those places would have. Also high humidity is a lot more tolerable if you are close to the sea.

Our aircon here is broken so it's difficult to keep the appartment cool after 38 °C during the day. But last night was the worst, as not only was the temperature high but the humidity was also oppressive. At 2 am the dewpoint was 26 °C, with close to 100% r.h.

METAR LIEA 140050Z 22009KT 9999 SCT005 26/26 Q1014=

Those missing there fresh northwesterly might not have to wait too much longer- the Atlantic could be back in by Wednesday. Hopefully we get another settled spell in early September.

Our aircon here is broken so it's difficult to keep the appartment cool after 38 °C during the day. But last night was the worst, as not only was the temperature high but the humidity was also oppressive. At 2 am the dewpoint was 26 °C, with close to 100% r.h.

METAR LIEA 140050Z 22009KT 9999 SCT005 26/26 Q1014=

It's not nice. I had the same problem in the Amazon of all places.

The Irish are acclimatised to cool, windy weather as that is our default. We don't live in Spain or Greece or Florida; we are a stone's throw away from the Arctic.

Anyway, some signals that things will become more seasonal towards the end of the month in this morning's longer range model outlook with closer to average temps setting as the heat pushes away into the dark heart of Europa:

07SlSXu.gif

New Moon

• Advertisement

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    The Irish are acclimatised to cool, windy weather as that is our default. We don't live in Spain or Greece or Florida; we are a stone's throw away from the Arctic.

Anyway, some signals that things will become more seasonal towards the end of the month in this morning's longer range model outlook with closer to average temps setting as the heat pushes away into the dark heart of Europa:

07SlSXu.gif

“A stones throw away from the arctic”

Yet we can hardly get a flake of snow in winter sometimes

If we could only reverse the spin of the globe or shut off that pesky warm current that comes our way!

Ireland is located in the most geographically disadvantaged region on the entire planet regarding climate. The near constant blandness of our weather is almost embarrassing.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Ireland is located in the most geographically disadvantaged region on the entire planet regarding climate. The near constant blandness of our weather is almost embarrassing.

Ah I wouldn't say it's that bad at all - I'd hate to live in some parts of the world where there is constant sunshine over 300 days a year, or in the tundra region where it snows for 8 months.

We get a variety of weather that's rarely extreme, and be thankful for it.

Every year (almost) we get an event or two to keep us entertained - 2018 a case in point.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Another dull and dreary day in Dublin but the sun is trying to get through now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The dull gloom continues here in Meath. This warm spell over the past week has been barely noticeable here apart from the sunny but not entirely warm day last Saturday. The only day we got a feeling of proper warmth was Wednesday but it remained cloudy throughout the day. Yesterday afternoon the clouds finally broke for the first time in nearly a week but the cooler air was already making inroads here off the Irish sea.

18C here currently and no sign of the cloud layer breaking. The Atlantic will be back in a few days with an autumnal feel to the weather and it doesn't bother me. I am done with this summer and looking forward to what Autumn and Winter brings, hopefully they won't end up being a bitter disappointment like this summer.

Lovely in Kildare now with good sunshine. 21°c

temperature has actually lowered here again in Meath, down from 18 to 16C and there are tiny spits of drizzle falling now too.

The warm spell is all but over now through much of the UK and eastern half of Ireland. Even London is back in the teens.

Warmth is now restricted to the Liverpool area and the north-west of Ireland. The change in wind direction from a southerly to an E/NE wind has brought lower temperatures to many areas, particularly eastern areas of both Ireland and the UK.

temp_uk.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Still dull and overcast in North Kildare but hoping the clearance is imminent as per further south in the county.

Too late for my planned lunchtime sunbathing session though :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement