Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

It has been a nice spell in Laois though it took during a couple of days last week until after lunch for the cloud to break. Warm daily maxes on most days too but the nights were notably humid and fog was common.

Following yesterday's thunderstorm and funnel cloud the weather is cooler and a more bland monotone grey covers the sky from horizon to horizon. Very little rain 3.2mm yesterday being the highlight of this spell.

Hopefully we get another week of fine weather before September comes knocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Currently the only sunshine stats for this month so far I have:

Casement - 89.1 hrs
    Malin Head - 83.4 hrs
    Dublin Airport - 81.7 hrs
    Cork Airport - 74.7 hrs
    Belmullet - 67.7 hrs
    Shannon Airport - 63.5 hrs

[/I]

2 stations that recorded sunshine within a few miles of each other in Dublin, and only one in the entirety of Connacht and NW Ulster.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    2 stations that recorded sunshine within a few miles of each other in Dublin, and only one in the entirety of Connacht and NW Ulster.

You have Knock Airport too but I don't find that station much of a great reflection because it's up on a hill. It's a pity Claremorris stopped recording sunshine (a decade or so ago?). Galway should most definitely have at least one station recording sunshine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

seamusk84 wrote: »
    Is there any chance for the rest of the day?

Dull, damp and cool in Kildare.

The 'good' weather is over in the east and now we are back to a relatively cool and wet scene. Jumper on today for the first time this month with a very damp and drizzly day so far.

Temperatures not great over the coming week but we are likely to see slightly warmer conditions than today which is similar to many of those damp and drizzly cool days we had in July.

Showers are likely today, tomorrow and Tuesday and then the form horse is back on Wednesday to dominate our weather for the second half of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Gonzo wrote: »
    The 'good' weather is over in the east and now we are back to a relatively cool and wet scene. Jumper on today for the first time this month with a very damp and drizzly day so far.

Temperatures not great over the coming week but we are likely to see slightly warmer conditions than today which is similar to many of those damp and drizzly cool days we had in July.

Showers are likely today, tomorrow and Tuesday and then the form horse is back on Wednesday to dominate our weather for the second half of August.

Thanks for the summary Gonzo....But ah Jaysus lol

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

So basically the rest of the month and of the summer is a write off as far as getting dry warm sunny weather is concerned. Disappointing but not really that surprising. Any indications yet about what early September may have in store?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

So basically the rest of the month and of the summer is a write off as far as getting dry warm sunny weather is concerned. Disappointing but not really that surprising. Any indications yet about what early September may have in store?

At the moment the next 2 weeks look fairly grim i'm afraid with rain or showers.

However latest runs are showing high pressure coming back around 1st of September to coincide with the almost annual sunny week one of back to school.

More often than not September can deliver a decent spell of weather and sometimes can prove better than any summer month during bad summers. I wouldn't be surprised if the same happens again this year. If we get 3 sunny days in a row that will beat anything we've seen here in the east all summer.

GFSOPEU06_384_1.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

However latest runs are showing high pressure coming back around 1st of September to coincide with the almost annual sunny week one of back to school.

More often than not September can deliver a decent spell of weather and sometimes can prove better than any summer month during bad summers. I wouldn't be surprised if the same happens again this year. If we get 3 sunny days in a row that will beat anything we've seen here in the east all summer.

I personally think that September is our actual summer, along with April/may/early June.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

It has definitely been a north west coast event, while most the country was humid and warm, the north west was blue skies and sun (I have been driving the west coast for the last week).

Reports from Cork are varying with the city getting some rain etc and cork airport recording it, but West cork has been destroyed and hit hard with loads of roads destroyed and houses flooded so I will be taking this month's rainfall totals with a high degree of salt

a very chilly afternoon here in Meath, my father has just turned on the central heating, temperature a cool 14C, feels like mid to late October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

A real murky 4 or 5 days in Cork. Extremely humid and very mild but other than that it's just been woeful

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

a very chilly afternoon here in Meath, my father has just turned on the central heating, temperature a cool 14C, feels like mid to late October.

Yeah a very non descript day here today too. Has remained at 16°c all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

Yeah a very non descript day here today too. Has remained at 16°c all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Really autumnal feel out there today. We were in Malahide Castle + you really did need those coats.

It was grand for walk/ playground but as soon as you sat down for few minutes you could feel the chill.

On plus side a lot quieter than usual so perfect for playground.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Beautiful at the Ceide Fields in north Mayo. Belmullet reporting 22 degrees at 5pm

Beautiful at the Ceide Fields in north Mayo. Belmullet reporting 22 degrees at 5pm

Beautiful there. Only 15 degrees here at DA + dull, dark + chilly.

appledrop wrote: »

Low cloud base at the airport to.700ft.

EIDW 161700Z 06009KT 030V090 9999 OVC007 16/15 Q1011 NOSIG

appledrop wrote: »

A miserable day and a throwback to that horrendous July. We've switched off the central heating and lit the fire for the evening. Neighbors house has smoke from the chimney as well. Drizzle hasn't stopped here all day to give a very damp day.

A miserable day and a throwback to that horrendous July. We've switched off the central heating and lit the fire for the evening. Neighbors house has smoke from the chimney as well. Drizzle hasn't stopped here all day to give a very damp day.

Same here in Wexford the last few days, though it's not warm cold enough to light a fire.

I personally think that September is our actual summer, along with April/may/early June.

April, May and the first few days of June were definitely better than most of the calendar summer months this year.

• Advertisement

Same here in Wexford the last few days, though it's not warm enough to light a fire.

Not warm enough for a fire? You mean not cold enough.

Not warm enough for a fire? You mean not cold enough.

thank you, fixed it.

What part of Meath are you in Gonzo?

Danno wrote: »
    What part of Meath are you in Gonzo?

In Dunshaughlin, about 20km inland from the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Back in Sunny *cough* Grey Cork! Drove from Clare home and there was little drops along the way, a heavy shower near north Mallow and then another just before entering the city, however the city itself is dry.

West Cork looks to be bracing itself for some more rain tonight, is it forecast to get a lot down there?

Todays max:

Belmullet 23.9 degrees
    Newport 22.3
    Markree 21.8
    Mace head 21.7

Phoenix park 16.6
    Casement 16.1
    Dublin Airport 15.8

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Yr.no is forecasting a crazy amount of rain tomorrow evening /night

Showers seem to have stalled over west Munster - if these pep up, there could be some impressive rainfall totals down there come morning, let alone what is forecast to come in from the southeast later on.

Todays max:

Belmullet 23.9 degrees
    Newport 22.3
    Markree 21.8
    Mace head 21.7

Phoenix park 16.6
    Casement 16.1
    Dublin Airport 15.8

Dublin much colder again. Trust me I felt that 15 degrees today in park. It was cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

What a miserable day in Dublin.

Bring on the low pressure and the unsettled weather I say. At least when the forecast is sunshine and showers you actually see some sunshine, in Dublin at least.

No doubt we'll get some nice settled weather and +8 uppers in November, say :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement