Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone willing to admit they're already starting to relax restrictions?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

rubber duk wrote: »
    The flu is different than covid 19, but still kills between 200-500 people each year. It's not good, but it is considered acceptable. We could get that number to 0 by implementing a lockdown.
    This country signed up to a deal where we would lock down to "flatten the curve" and reduce the burden on our public health services. The curve was flattened weeks ago, public health services are practically lying idle. At what point has the government reneged on the deal and gone from flatten the curve to eradication of covid, and in the process ruined the economy. In case anyone is in any doubt, the economy of this country is well and truly shattered.
    2 week self isolation is not an adequate govt control on border admissions, this response simply unburdens them from responsibility and puts it onto individuals, which is un-acceptable. The only way to properly control border entry is to test everybody on entry.
    In Greece over the past couple of days c.20 people tested positive at the Airport and were sent back to Qatar. The government there did it's job properly.

We have a flu vaccine and many have over the years developed immunity to flu. We really have neither for Covid-19.
    We could get flu to zero, but like Covid-19 you could not be guaranteed to keep it that way.

I don`t know where this idea from some that the intention was to eradicate Covid-19 by using lockdown.
    Unless I am greatly mistaken the t aims were to reduce the number of infections and deaths, stop our health services being over-run and to get the numbers to a level that should there be a second wave, or an increase in transmission, to have the wriggle room to deal with it without having to resort to another full lockdown.

We could do temperature testing at airports and port, but it is so easy for someone to medicate to get around that it would be next to useless. The only other way is to test those arriving, but what do you do with them until the test results come back?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rubber duk

@charlie14 I think we're singing from the same hymn sheet.
    There is an Irish company making tests with 97 pc accuracy, results ready in 30 minutes, on site no need to send to lab etc.

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/low-cost-rapid-covid-test-irish-company

https://www.arabnews.com/node/1683826/world

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

@charlie14 I think we're singing from the same hymn sheet.
    There is an Irish company making tests with 97 pc accuracy, results ready in 30 minutes, on site no need to send to lab etc.

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/low-cost-rapid-covid-test-irish-company

https://www.arabnews.com/node/1683826/world

Yeah I read that and was quite interested as I am a former Engineer in immunology and Molecular Pathology before I went into Nuclear, I must say I am very skeptical of this.

what drew my attention was this.
    The test developed by HiberGene works best for patients with moderate or high viral load – those who have been displaying symptoms for some days.

The company is working with partners in Queen’s University Belfast, Genoa in Italy and China to examine its efficacy in other patient groups – particularly those who are not yet showing any symptoms associated with the virus.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/health-pharma/rapid-covid-19-test-by-irish-group-hibergene-gets-eu-approval-1.4257587

Really its limited to those with a high viral load and in an advanced symptoms, unlike PCR which can determine infection before showing symptoms and in asymptomatic cases. Really you could have died before this thing shows positive.

FDA pulled a lot of similar tests off its list recently as there was doubts in the reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

you can't catch or spread a heart attack from somebody, and the flue is not comparable to covid19.
    try again.

you can't catch or spread drowning.

All the fast food outlets spread all over the country are spreading heart disease and the possibility of an heart attack. Lets shut them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭robbiezero

quokula wrote: »
    Well as long as the people who die as a result of your selfishness aren't immediate family, sure what's the harm.

Give an estimate of the probability of someone outside his immediate family dying as a result of him visiting his immediate family for interest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

The flu is different than covid 19, but still kills between 200-500 people each year. It's not good, but it is considered acceptable. We could get that number to 0 by implementing a lockdown.
    This country signed up to a deal where we would lock down to "flatten the curve" and reduce the burden on our public health services. The curve was flattened weeks ago, public health services are practically lying idle. At what point has the government reneged on the deal and gone from flatten the curve to eradication of covid, and in the process ruined the economy. In case anyone is in any doubt, the economy of this country is well and truly shattered.
    2 week self isolation is not an adequate govt control on border admissions, this response simply unburdens them from responsibility and puts it onto individuals, which is un-acceptable. The only way to properly control border entry is to test everybody on entry.
    In Greece over the past couple of days c.20 people tested positive at the Airport and were sent back to Qatar. The government there did it's job properly.

the curve wasn't flattened weeks ago. it's only being flattened now realistically.
    if it was flattened weeks ago the lockdown would be long over.
    the economy was never going to come out unscaved no matter what we did, it was about doing whatever to lessen the damage over all.
    niallo27 wrote: »
    All the fast food outlets spread all over the country are spreading heart disease and the possibility of an heart attack. Lets shut them down.

they aren't.
    they are providing a product which if not taken in moderation can cause those issues, which is very, very different.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

It's like a really slow car crash. It's coming and there isn't much we can do about it. Everyone so willing to get back to normal but so hard. Grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Breezin

Mr.S wrote: »
    Is there a big risk by someone driving 300km without seeing anyone on the way, and only seeing a few family members? Probably not. If everyone did it in higher numbers? Probably.

How?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭oyvey

You've missed the point entirely. You're just responding to one statement out of context.

Some people are trying to compare the handling of Covid19 and heart attacks from obesity, saying that people are given the choice to do the things that cause heart attacks. The point is that you can't compare them because heart attacks are not contagious - you can do the things that cause heart attacks and the heart attack will only kill YOU. So it's pointless to compare them.

Some people are also making some stupid comparisons like "knives kill people, should we ban knives?". The answer to that is not "ok, yeah, let the pandemic run amok so since knives kill people and we don't do anything about knives". Maybe something should be done about knives. What, I don't know, but you can't stand behind an excuse like that to give yourself license to do whatever you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Breezin wrote: »
    How?

It’s a bit like the government coming out and saying grandkids can now hug their grandparents. Probably safe for nearly everyone in the country, but there’s a risk for some. Just hard to know who.

What get from a fast food outlet is your choice.
    You do not have that choice with Covid-19.
    The choice would highly likely be made for you by a moron who believes he/she knows best.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

charlie14 wrote: »
    What get from a fast food outlet is your choice.
    You do not have that choice with Covid-19.
    The choice would highly likely be made for you by a moron who believes he/she knows best.

What if you practice social distancing, then the choice is yours.

What if you practice social distancing, then the choice is yours.

That was the recommendation. The fact that so many choose to ignore that was why lockdown was introduced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Going about 8km to a scenic area for a walk and probably going to the shop a little too much is as far as I've gone so far. Let the son out to play on the green with the neighbour kids yesterday for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭leanin2019

Going about 8km to a scenic area for a walk and probably going to the shop a little too much is as far as I've gone so far. Let the son out to play on the green with the neighbour kids yesterday for the first time.

The limits are as the crow flies i.e. 5km radius not 5k by road.

I think some people think otherwise and don't realise how big their 'circles' are.

Not saying this is you but there are a few :pac:

Driving 8km for a walk has the same contagion effect, which is none, of driving 208km for a walk.

Breezin wrote: »
    Driving 8km for a walk has the same contagion effect, which is none, of driving 208km for a walk.

Unless you multiple this out to large groups of people from a wide geographic area congregating at popular scenic areas, all potentially opening the same gates etc and thereby increasing the contagion effect

leanin2019 wrote: »
    Unless you multiple this out to large groups of people from a wide geographic area congregating at popular scenic areas, all potentially opening the same gates etc and thereby increasing the contagion effect

FF said this wasn't borne out by the science. (I have to admit, I didn't see them give their source.)

There are large groups of people at popular scenic areas already. Some have never been so busy, so it's clear that what is happening is that cooped-up crowds are being concentrated in those locations. So the risk of not travelling is probably at least as great as the risk of travel, even allowing for the fact that not all travel -- probably the lesser part, in fact -- would be to scenic locations.

And the latest reports are saying that the chances of getting the virus via casual proximity outdoors is tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭alentejo

I have cycled 8 k from my house - encountered hardly anybody

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,158 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

We need to plan now for the future and start micro-chipping all new borns. Or somehow make it part of Irish passport application that you have to be micro-chipped.
    This chip can then be used to locate a person if needed, this would solve any missing person case eg Madeline McCann, the Icelandic fella.
    Also this chip could be used to apply the 5/20km radius restriction. If breaches emit a sting to the brain or something that only goes away when you go back inside the radius.
    Obviously this micro-chip will be controlled by a central and secret government department, and will probably have many more possibilities too.

We need to plan now for the future and start micro-chipping all new borns. Or somehow make it part of Irish passport application that you have to be micro-chipped.
    This chip can then be used to locate a person if needed, this would solve any missing person case eg Madeline McCann, the Icelandic fella.
    Also this chip could be used to apply the 5/20km radius restriction. If breaches emit a sting to the brain or something that only goes away when you go back inside the radius.
    Obviously this micro-chip will be controlled by a central and secret government department, and will probably have many more possibilities too.

Great idea. Would save on enforcement costs so the microchipping program would probably pay for itself in no time

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

I drove to Galway last weekend as hadnt seen my family in 3 months. Met them at the beach for a few hours. RTE 9pm news were doing a montage of the fine weather (showing people out and about) and there I was sitting on the wall eating an ice cream on the news haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Sheep_shear

Can the microchip modify your brain, so that even attempting to shake hands will unleash a horrible, crippling pain in the individual?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Can the microchip modify your brain, so that even attempting to shake hands will unleash a horrible, crippling pain in the individual?

You guys need a microchip to feel horrible, crippling pain in when socially interacting?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭JoeLapira

I had been following the restrictions basically to a tee the whole way through but not anymore after last weekend. Between the March in Dublin and meeting people i know on my nearby beach, who I know are from well over 50km from the beach, ive had enough. My girlfriend lives in galway and I live in west cork, we haven't seen each other since mid march, both are front line workers and we can't wait any longer. We both have a week off June, were meant to be going on a holiday, but she's gonna come down to visit. I believe the restrictions served their purpose but that purpose is declining and we need to get this country back on its feet again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

It’s a bit like the government coming out and saying grandkids can now hug their grandparents. Probably safe for nearly everyone in the country, but there’s a risk for some. Just hard to know who.

Our government said they can hug their grandparents?? When?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Are there still checkpoints around the country? Wanted to go for a drive tonight, but don't fancy getting pulled over outside my 5km zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Kiith wrote: »
    Are there still checkpoints around the country? Wanted to go for a drive tonight, but don't fancy getting pulled over outside my 5km zone.

Can't say yes or no but very few....

Last time now I've seen one is about 2 weeks ago, I drive a lot with work and then to and from....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

So it seems if you are a traveller or the elite at D4 you can have as many as you like at a funeral...

Seen a big one at Donnybrook today.

Amazing how so many couldn't pay their last respects or get proper closure as they couldn't go....

Very sad to be honest.

Advertisement