Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone willing to admit they're already starting to relax restrictions?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

This one is killing me too. I have an elderly mother about 160km away who lives alone.

Really at this stage it is becoming an essential journey to go to see her - with proper precautions of course - but yanno golf and hairdressing is more important.
    Looking after elderly parents is an essential journey, and it sounds like you are clued in about protecting your mother by keeping your distance etc. I wouldn't worry about doing a trip like that myself.

It's the people taking the p**s hosting and visiting house-parties who need to cop on to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

hmmm wrote: »
    Looking after elderly parents is an essential journey, and it sounds like you are clued in about protecting your mother by keeping your distance etc. I wouldn't worry about doing a trip like that myself.

It's the people taking the p**s hosting and visiting house-parties who need to cop on to themselves.

It's the people who as you describe as "taking the piss" are testing the water for the more conservative people.
    Personally i think the extent is somewhat overstated but it is happening - and the infection rate is dropping.
    Statler and Waldorf were on again about "Facemasks" as "nobody is wearing them and its time to make using them mandatory for everyone, everywhere".

Again it seems to escape their attention that in spite of the absence of facemasks and the people "taking the piss", the infection rate is dropping.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

It's the people who as you describe as "taking the piss" are testing the water for the more conservative people.
    It's taking the p**s when you're deliberately giving two fingers to the rest of society.

If you're genuinely concerned about something even though it maybe skirts the law that's one thing, such as visiting elderly relatives - but no-one needs to hold a house-party or a barbecue with all the neighbours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Wouldn’t go holding mass parties although as soon as the restaurants open I’ll be booking a table and meeting up with friends 100%.

Have absolutely no problem driving to any county the length of Ireland at the moment though and see no issue with it. Same goes for once the flights re open. Let all the Cautious Carols sit peeking out through their window until 2021 if they wish. The rest of us will go back to normal. You’d have to be a real greenhorn if you’re still listening to anything leo, Tony or Simon says.

I know plenty of nurses who work in the mater that were at bbqs and friends parties over the weekend and they’ve never enjoyed their work as much as now. They aren’t busy like normal times and are taking their breaks regularly, which wouldn’t normally happen.

Time to wake up and smell the coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I petted my neighbor's dog on Saturday. A great feeling :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,240 ✭✭✭facehugger99

hmmm wrote: »
    It's taking the p**s when you're deliberately giving two fingers to the rest of society.

If you're genuinely concerned about something even though it maybe skirts the law that's one thing, such as visiting elderly relatives - but no-one needs to hold a house-party or a barbecue with all the neighbours.

I'm sure you'll get a pat on the head from Dr Tony for being a good little lad but not everyone is a social-loner happy to hide away for months for no good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Wouldn’t go holding mass parties although as soon as the restaurants open I’ll be booking a table and meeting up with friends 100%.

Have absolutely no problem driving to any county the length of Ireland at the moment though and see no issue with it. Same goes for once the flights re open. Let all the Cautious Carols sit peeking out through their window until 2021 if they wish. The rest of us will go back to normal. You’d have to be a real greenhorn if you’re still listening to anything leo, Tony or Simon says.

I know plenty of nurses who work in the mater that were at bbqs and friends parties over the weekend and they’ve never enjoyed their work as much as now. They aren’t busy like normal times and are taking their breaks regularly, which wouldn’t normally happen.

Time to wake up and smell the coffee

when I grow up I hope I'm a cool and enlightened and confident as you. I will admit I was that Cautious Carol, that meek greenhorn, stupidly trying to protect the weak and sick in society by minimising social interaction. But having seen your inspiring post I am now woke, I am enlightened, I have smelt the freedom coffee. I will now go out and party like a life lovin' nurse from the matter.
    that you sincerely for opening my eyes

when I grow up I hope I'm a cool and enlightened and confident as you. I will admit I was that Cautious Carol, that meek greenhorn, stupidly trying to protect the weak and sick in society by minimising social interaction. But having seen your inspiring post I am now woke, I am enlightened, I have smelt the freedom coffee. I will now go out and party like a life lovin' nurse from the matter.
    that you sincerely for opening my eyes

I’m delighted I could help. With this rapid progress We’ll maybe even get you putting one hand on the front door by the end of this week. ;)

I’m delighted I could help. With this rapid progress We’ll maybe even get you putting one hand on the front door by the end of this week. ;)

Nah, I live with people that have a high probability of serious illness/death if they get covid. I can't really go out too much for fear that I meet people like you ;)

Nah, I live with people that have a high probability of serious illness/death if they get covid. I can't really go out too much for fear that I meet people like you ;)

That’s terrible and I am truly sorry that’s your situation.

However I and many others who are not in that situation will not sit indoors and stay inside a certain distance anymore, if it does not affect us or our immediate family and friends we see regularly.

If you have to stay in then stay in obviously . Why do the rest of us have to still do it for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

However I and many others who are not in that situation will not sit indoors and stay inside a certain distance anymore, if it does not affect us or our immediate family and friends we see regularly.

If you have to stay in then stay in obviously . Why do the rest of us have to still do it for you?

Idle curiosity. If in the last few months you knew that 25,000 people in Ireland had contracted acquired human immunodeficiency virus and 1,650 had subsequently, died would you have sex with a casual friend without using protection ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I hate to break it to some people who think there rule breakers (depends where the people came from I suppose) but you can meet up with people since the 18th. The thing is the restrictions are broad and with some thought you can actually do quiet a lot.

It is great the rate is low lets hope it stays like this as more opens up. I would not worry too much as the amount getting sick as for the amount going into hospital and ICU. We will only see the reflections from the first phase from today to Thursday (we be told Friday what opens) as I would not take just a days stats.

Now I am not an angel either but I am still making sure when out and about to stay careful around people. I do believe that the roadmap with vary differently from the next stage and the only places still closed to a Stage 5 will be ones who can not open regardless. As for back to normal in terms of shopping and social distancing don't expecting anything for quiet a while

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭quokula

Well as long as the people who die as a result of your selfishness aren't immediate family, sure what's the harm.

quokula wrote: »
    Well as long as the people who die as a result of your selfishness aren't immediate family, sure what's the harm.

I’m so selfish that I drove 300km home to spend the bank holiday weekend in the sun with my girlfriend and interacted with no one apart from my mother , father, brother and sister .

Yes... such a demon. There are more pressing issues than this. How many people died of a heart attack or the flu in Ireland yesterday? Did it make headlines?

Time to move on.

CBear1993 wrote:

Seriously, I have no desire to insult your intelligence, but you do understand how viruses spread, yes?
    All I'm advocating is continuing to listen to medical experts and not individuals like your good self....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I planted up an orchard and set up an irrigation system over the last two days in West Clare.
    I live in North Clare and it's eerie around Kilkee.
    Up around Ennistymon there's some life and it's bustling with people walking around by the falls all within the suggested social distance requirements.

I drove to Kilkee for a takeaway and it's like the middle of the winter, and there's a heatwave.

Just a few seagulls and the odd person walking dogs or beautiful old couples enjoying the solitude.

It must be devastating to seaside towns, usually you'd hear a lot of Limerick accents bustling around town.
    But at the moment it's alive with serenity but dead where visitors and tourism is concerned.

I'm looking forward to next week where I can go fishing off the rock's and venture out.
    I've no interest in the hustle and bustle anyhow so all this covid 19 has done is keeping me grounded around my locality, besides my weekly shopping trip to Ennistymon.

It's a beautiful town, lot's of health shop's an old fashioned hardware store, James Devitt's is like going into a store in old Ireland
    On my way home I stopped by a beautiful beach and there was nobody around absolutely dead apart from the waves lapping on the shoreline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭oyvey

...How many people died of a heart attack or the flu in Ireland yesterday? ...

You can't spread heart attacks brainiac. And care to guess what measures you can take to mitigate against flu? I'll give you a clue, the government is trying to implement them right now. :)

nthclare wrote: »

That's because no-one will go there again after that nonsense that went down a few weeks ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

That's because no-one will go there again after that nonsense that went down a few weeks ago.

You know what, you could be right but it will get busier again soon

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

Mr.S wrote: »
    You do you, no one (probably) will stop you - if that makes you happy then obviously go ahead.

But it's a bit disrespectful to people who are actually following the governments restrictions, who haven't been close to family in months. Of course, that doesn't matter to you :)

We had the same reaction from a certain % of people on day 1 of the restrictions in March, blah blah OTT, i'm healthy, doesn't effect me, i'm not a sheep etc.

Most people follow the guidelines issued by the government, it's not up to an individual to decide it's time we stopped following them because they think it's ok.

I have pretty much followed the restrictions to to a tee, I don't feel disrespected one bit by someone else who drives 300km to see his nearest and dearest. It's a choice I make and a choice he makes.

I believe it is and should be up to each individual to make their own choice, as long as they are responsible and not standing in front of people until they get coughed on, or not practicing good general hygiene.

• Advertisement

oyvey wrote: »
    You can't spread heart attacks brainiac. And care to guess what measures you can take to mitigate against flu? I'll give you a clue, the government is trying to implement them right now. :)

What are some of the main causes of heart disease leading to heart attacks? Smoking, obesity, unhealthy lifestyles. We don't ban or put extreme restrictions on those habits do we? No, we leave it to people to make their own choices, and partly because of the nice tax take the Gov gets from fags, etc etc.)

nthclare wrote: »
    I planted up an orchard and set up an irrigation system over the last two days in West Clare.
    Up around Ennistymon there's some life and it's bustling with people walking around by the falls all within the suggested social distance requirements.

I drove to Kilkee for a takeaway and it's like the middle of the winter, and there's a heatwave.

Just a few seagulls and the odd person walking dogs or beautiful old couples enjoying the solitude.

It must be devastating to seaside towns, usually you'd hear a lot of Limerick accents bustling around town.
    But at the moment it's alive with serenity but dead where visitors and tourism is concerned.

I'm looking forward to next week where I can go fishing off the rock's and venture out.
    I've no interest in the hustle and bustle anyhow so all this covid 19 has done is keeping me grounded around my locality, besides my weekly shopping trip to Ennistymon.

It's a beautiful town, lot's of health shop's an old fashioned hardware store, James Devitt's is like going into a store in old Ireland
    On my way home I stopped by a beautiful beach and there was nobody around absolutely dead apart from the waves lapping on the shoreline

Well there is 1 good thing :D

Ya right a few weeks and everyone will forgive and forget.

Damn does people wanting to stay safer

JL555 wrote: »
    What are some of the main causes of heart disease leading to heart attacks? Smoking, obesity, unhealthy lifestyles. We don't ban or put extreme restrictions on those habits do we? No, we leave it to people to make their own choices, and partly because of the nice tax take the Gov gets from fags, etc etc.)

Yes we f***ing do. The smoking BAN and the sugar tax.

Those are not extreme restrictions, in covid terms it would be the equivalent of telling people to wash their hands and sneeze in their elbows.

If every life matters why don't we ban swimming and other water based activities? On average around a 100 or more die via drowning. Or do their lives simply not matter?

What smoking ban? Yeah we can't can't smoke in pubs and restaurants, but that doesn't stop anybody buying them and smoking them when they want.

Sugar tax is not a ban, people can still buy crap food and drinks and consume them.

And why so angry,? what's with the expletive?

Those are not extreme restrictions, in covid terms it would be the equivalent of telling people to wash their hands and sneeze in their elbows.

If every life matters why don't we ban swimming and other water based activities? On average around a 100 or more die via drowning. Or do their lives simply not matter?

I would say the smoking ban would be more like social distancing. But clearly this gets a little subjective here.

Also, it's easy to say the smoking ban isn't extreme now. At the time, it was considered fairly extreme.

JL555 wrote: »
    What smoking ban? Yeah we can't can't smoke in pubs and restaurants, but that doesn't stop anybody buying them and smoking them when they want.

Sugar tax is not a ban, people can still buy crap food and drinks and consume them.

And why so angry,? what's with the expletive?

Easy with the psychological analysis there Dr.Phil, expletive does not equate to anger.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I’m so selfish that I drove 300km home to spend the bank holiday weekend in the sun with my girlfriend and interacted with no one apart from my mother , father, brother and sister .

Yes... such a demon. There are more pressing issues than this. How many people died of a heart attack or the flu in Ireland yesterday? Did it make headlines?

Time to move on.

you can't catch or spread a heart attack from somebody, and the flue is not comparable to covid19.
    try again.

you can't catch or spread drowning.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 rubber duk

The flu is different than covid 19, but still kills between 200-500 people each year. It's not good, but it is considered acceptable. We could get that number to 0 by implementing a lockdown.
    This country signed up to a deal where we would lock down to "flatten the curve" and reduce the burden on our public health services. The curve was flattened weeks ago, public health services are practically lying idle. At what point has the government reneged on the deal and gone from flatten the curve to eradication of covid, and in the process ruined the economy. In case anyone is in any doubt, the economy of this country is well and truly shattered.
    2 week self isolation is not an adequate govt control on border admissions, this response simply unburdens them from responsibility and puts it onto individuals, which is un-acceptable. The only way to properly control border entry is to test everybody on entry.
    In Greece over the past couple of days c.20 people tested positive at the Airport and were sent back to Qatar. The government there did it's job properly.

Advertisement