Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVII-24,841 in ROI (1,639 deaths) 4,679 in NI (518 deaths)(28/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,504 ✭✭✭Penfailed

No Supermarket workers in Ireland have died though AFAIK, ditto meat plant workers,

A meat plant worker died in Co. Tyrone.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

fr336 wrote: »
    Have they tested every member of their nationwide staff to prove this was the case? Seeing as we're dealing with a virus which can kill some people but display no symptoms at all in others. And I assume those it would most likely kill would be on paid leave from these supermarkets (here in UK it's 12 weeks paid for vunerable people) so the 0.3% figure is slightly disingenous if you ask me.

Well I had mentioned earlier that in the USA/Canada, the United Food and Commercial Workers International Union, which represents approximately 1.3 million workers in the United States and Canada in industries including retail and meatpacking has recently concluded:

"According to the UFCW’s internal reports, there have been at least 72 worker deaths and 5,322 workers directly impacted among the UFCW’s 1.3 million members who work in grocery, retail, pharmacy, meatpacking, and other essential industries."

I calculate those figures as suggesting that 0.4% of their members in those industries have been directly impacted. Which isn't a lot different than the figures Lidl is quoting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Even this thread isn’t as lively as it use to be . People getting bored now

More that most of the mouths in the restrictions thread I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Maestro85

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Even this thread isn’t as lively as it use to be . People getting bored now

Only 214 days til Christmas.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,967 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Penfailed wrote: »
    A meat plant worker died in Co. Tyrone.

Is that the best you have?
    I wasn’t talking about the 6 counties but since you mention it I will revise my statement
    One meat plant or supermarket worker died in Co Tyrone in the last 3 months. The only one in the island of Ireland.
    Proof positive that this virus deadly right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The only people disappointed are the ones hoping to make millions from a cure/vaccine

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

davedanon wrote: »

No, we are not going to go bankrupt. Wealthy western democracies don't, as a rule. Especially not when everyone's in the same boat.

And tossing around terms like 'hyponchondriacs' and 'new normal tripe', in the midst of the biggest pandemic in a century.....well, it's not a good look, let's say.

Got living parents, have you? Aunties?

It isn't 'the biggest pandemic in a century'. Pandemics which killed millions of people took place in the second half of the 20th century - one in 1957, another in 1968.

Hype merchants like to promote comparisons to the Spanish Flu due to the scare factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭Polar101

growleaves wrote: »
    It isn't 'the biggest pandemic in a century'. Pandemics which killed millions of people took place in the second half of the 20th century - one in 1957, another in 1968

How many people will die from this one, so that we can reliably compare pandemics?

Polar101 wrote: »
    How many people will die from this one, so that we can reliably compare pandemics?

I can't predict the future with certainty. I can, however, recommend basic honesty. It isn't 'the biggest pandemic in a century' just because you dreamt that it killed more people than the 1968 pandemic (2 million dead).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It isn't 'the biggest pandemic in a century'. Pandemics which killed millions of people took place in the second half of the 20th century - one in 1957, another in 1968.

Hype merchants like to promote comparisons to the Spanish Flu due to the scare factor.

Pandemics aren't measured by how many people they kill though, it's more about how widespread they are. Covid-19 has been found in 188 countries.....no mean feat given how new it is.

Strazdas wrote: »
    Pandemics aren't measured by how many people they kill though, it's more about how widespread they are. Covid-19 has been found in 188 countries.....no mean feat given how new it is.

Hong Kong flu (1968-69) was found in 209 countries, hitting every continent.

Pandemics are measured by how deadly they are. Who doesn't care about the death toll and death rate? We've heard about little else lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,504 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Is that the best you have?
    I wasn’t talking about the 6 counties but since you mention it I will revise my statement

Is that the best I have?! What? I was just pointing out that there actually was a meat plant worker that had passed away in Ireland. How very partitionist of you.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Pandemics are measured by how deadly they are. Who doesn't care about the death toll and death rate? We've heard about little else lately.

You very well know that with the Hong Kong Flu, it was basically just allowed to burn, and it killed 100,000 in the US. SARS-CoV2 has already killed 100,000 in the states with lockdowns, social distancing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

You very well know that with the Hong Kong Flu, it was basically just allowed to burn, and it killed 100,000 in the US. SARS-CoV2 has already killed 100,000 in the states with lockdowns, social distancing etc.

...and in a much, much shorter timeframe too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Modern drugs
    Modern ICU treatment
    Early interventions (in most countries) to curb spread

COVID-19 has killed more people in the US than the Hong Kong flu. Come back in 10 years when COVID-19 is a distant memory and we can compare pandemics. As of now, it's a ll a bit... academic.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,699 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Sorry but there's no such thing as data and science guiding us forward.

Fúcking Hell.

Yeah, we should use rock, paper, scissor.

A disease which has killed 2 million people is deadlier than one that has killed less than 350k.

I wouldn't have thought this was particularly controversial.

Why does covid need to be hyped with dishonest slogans suggesting it is on a par with the the Spanish flu?

Futuristic speculations are not reality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

• Advertisement

Tony EH wrote: »
    ...and in a much, much shorter timeframe too.

Wrong.

2 to 4 million dead over the course of two flu seasons in 1968-69.

On average a flu season lasts around 13 weeks.

Boggles wrote: »
    Fúcking Hell.

Yeah, we should use rock, paper, scissor.

Trying reading beyond first sentence.

Data cannot interpret itself therefore saying we should do what the data tells us to do is a meaningless statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

A disease which has killed 2 million people is deadlier than one that has killed less than 350k.

Why does covid need to be hyped with dishonest slogans suggesting it is on a par with the the Spanish flu?

And you conveniently ignore preventative action versus the potential severity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

It has killed far more than 350,000, there is thought to be as many as 150 thousand unreported deaths in the UK, Italy and USA alone
    https://www.businessinsider.com/actual-coronavirus-deaths-in-italy-us-higher-than-official-count-2020-5?r=US&IR=T

Mexico
    Up to 15,000 unreported deaths
    https://abc7.com/mexico-city-coronavirus-death-toll-covid-19-mexicans-against-corruptions-andres-manuel-lopez-obrador/6195406/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-52223193
    Iran deaths may be underreported by up to a factor of 4x, meaning 28,000 deaths there rather than 7000

We are up to nearly 200,000 unaccounted deaths just from those 5 countries.

Brazil again many tens of thousands unreported deaths for sure, China who knows how many???

Death toll could well be in the region of one million globally

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    And you conveniently ignore preventative action versus the potential severity.

I'm not ignoring it. I'm saying you cannot count deaths that didn't happen as if they did happen. Do you not get that projections of things happening are not the same thing as reality?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

COVID-19 has killed more people in the US than the Hong Kong flu. Come back in 10 years when COVID-19 is a distant memory and we can compare pandemics. As of now, it's a ll a bit... academic.

I was replying to a commenter making a hype-filled comparison which was totally unjustifiable, and in response to my response I've had more than one comment saying we can't compare pandemics.

If grossly-dishonest comparisons are going to be made on this thread, then I am going to bring in more down-to-earth comparisons. Complaints about the inexactness of the latter understandably leave me a little cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,619 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

So what's everyone's thoughts on the latest photos/videos of Leo and his four mates sunbathing in Phoenix park yesterday,
    I heard people say they where drinking but no proof of that in the photo's or video's

Will there be public outrage about nothing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

So what's everyone's thoughts on the latest photos/videos of Leo and his four mates sunbathing in Phoenix park yesterday,
    I heard people say they where drinking but no proof of that in the photo's or video's

I am hesistant to believe it is authentic, simply because it is filmed in Pheonix Park. Why would he pick a busy city centre park to act like that, knowing so many people would recognise him there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭celt262

Shinner Bots will have a ball

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement