Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVII-24,841 in ROI (1,639 deaths) 4,679 in NI (518 deaths)(28/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

So what's everyone's thoughts on the latest photos/videos of Leo and his four mates sunbathing in Phoenix park yesterday,
    I heard people say they where drinking but no proof of that in the photo's or video's

Will there be public outrage about nothing ?

This is the first I have heard of this but what is wrong with him doing it? We're allowed to meet friends from different households outside now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,586 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

This is the first I have heard of this but what is wrong with him doing it? We're allowed to meet friends from different households outside now.

It may be from another time but if its is yesterday he certainly wasn't 2 meters apart form his other two mates ,

Not sure where he lives os was he within his 5k,

He wasn't exercising or going shipping otherwise we have been told its still stay at home,

Also called me old fashion but the leader of a country (any country) shouldn't be topless lying around a local park, but that just my opinion ,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I saw something mentioned that the video could be from 4 years ago.

Micky 32 wrote: »

I thought the same surely even if he wasn't doing much wrong he would give it a miss in the current climate knowing the question it would cause ,

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

growleaves wrote: »
    Wrong.

2 to 4 million dead over the course of two flu seasons in 1968-69.

On average a flu season lasts around 13 weeks.

I'm talking about the US death toll from the HK flu pandemic outbreaks of 68 and 69, which killed around 100,000. Covid has reached that number faster.

But, of course, you already know that. So stop playing silly buggers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

So what's everyone's thoughts on the latest photos/videos of Leo and his four mates sunbathing in Phoenix park yesterday,
    I heard people say they where drinking but no proof of that in the photo's or video's

Will there be public outrage about nothing ?

Are you sure it's from yesterday?

People saying it's from 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,867 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It may be from another time but if its is yesterday he certainly wasn't 2 meters apart form his other two mates ,

He wasn't exercising or going shipping otherwise we have been told its still stay at home,

Also called me old fashion but the leader of a country (any country) shouldn't be topless lying around a local park, but that just my opinion ,

Now it was Jacinda Ardern...
    a 2017 meta-analysis of individual patient data from 11 321 participants in 25 randomised controlled trials showed that vitamin D supplementation protected against acute respiratory tract infections and that patients with very low (<25 nmol/L) serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations (a marker of vitamin D status) gained the most benefit.

• View related content for this article
    A growing body of circumstantial evidence now also specifically links outcomes of COVID-19 and vitamin D status.
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/landia/article/PIIS2213-8587(20)30183-2/fulltext

Shirts off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

A disease which has killed 2 million people is deadlier than one that has killed less than 350k.

I wouldn't have thought this was particularly controversial.

Why does covid need to be hyped with dishonest slogans suggesting it is on a par with the the Spanish flu?

Futuristic speculations are not reality.

More people have died from drowning in swimming pools than from nuclear bombs.

Therefor swimming pools are more dangerous than nuclear bombs. Gotcha. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Italian Epidemiologist interview saying opening on May 4th has had no effect, emergency calls back to normal level pre-covid and hospital numbers dropping. Reckons it's down to the effect of 'harvesting', as in it has hit the most vulnerable and is now dwindling. Also, the numbers of new cases are mostly healthcare staff and antibody tests.

https://milano.corriere.it/notizie/cronaca/20_maggio_25/coronavirus-lombardia-demicheli-ecco-perche-cala-numero-morti-anche-se-virus-non-si-indebolito-c34617c4-9dfe-11ea-b9b6-8e4b7089692f.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Micky 32 wrote: »

It's from yesterday mentioned in below article

https://amp.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/varadkar-and-partner-living-at-farmleigh-lodge-during-pandemic-39231145.html?__twitter_impression=true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Are you sure it's from yesterday?

People saying it's from 2 years ago.

Exactly, the bollox you read on this thread it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s from another time.

Italian Epidemiologist interview saying opening on May 4th has had no effect, emergency calls back to normal level pre-covid and hospital numbers dropping. Reckons it's down to the effect of 'harvesting', as in it has hit the most vulnerable and is now dwindling. Also, the numbers of new cases are mostly healthcare staff and antibody tests.

https://milano.corriere.it/notizie/cronaca/20_maggio_25/coronavirus-lombardia-demicheli-ecco-perche-cala-numero-morti-anche-se-virus-non-si-indebolito-c34617c4-9dfe-11ea-b9b6-8e4b7089692f.shtml

Could be simply burning out. Not something I thought likely but seems to hit a peak in most countries within the same time frame while continuing on a downward trend even with restrictions being lifted

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Assuming it isn't from years ago which it wouldn't surprise me if it was.

1. Yeah, fair enough, he should be 2 metres apart.
    2. He's from/lives in Castleknock, he could be well within 5KM there.
    3. We are in phase one of the roadmap which allows you to meet people from different households outside so he hasn't broken any of the rules there.
    4. I am half tempted to agree with you here just because it would be pretty funny to see Varadker in a full suit walking around a beach in the height of summer with everyone else around him topless. :pac: He'd be like Will from The Inbetweeners.

So no rules broken.

Grand.

Potentially the social distance but not in terms of travel.

So no rules broken.

Grand.

If its form yesterday and that's a big "IF" its clear as day he was not keeping 2 meters from his friends ,

May seem like an over reaction but how are politicians so stupid, stand up in front of the country spelling out the rules then break them in public,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

bb1234567 wrote: »
    I am hesistant to believe it is authentic, simply because it is filmed in Pheonix Park. Why would he pick a busy city centre park to act like that, knowing so many people would recognise him there

Looks to be real. For a fella so sensitive to his social media image he can be very very stupid at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

gabeeg wrote: »
    More people have died from drowning in swimming pools than from nuclear bombs.

Therefor swimming pools are more dangerous than nuclear bombs. Gotcha. Thanks

Lol the reason I was making a comparison was in response to a comparison!

Does it upset people to be told that the 50-100 million dead of the Spanish Flu is not the only relevant pandemic of the last century?

I didn't expect six posters to get in a strop about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,505 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Wrong.

On average a flu season lasts around 13 weeks.

You use figures to suit your stance. Flu season is continuous worldwide. C13 weeks per region not globally.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    You use figures to suit your stance. Flu season is continuous worldwide. C13 weeks per region not globally.

No the truth is that many posters here are deeply confused about timeframes re pandemics. Hong Kong flu did not flare continuously for two years. Nor did 1918-19 Spanish Flu.

The claim that 3 or more months of covid constitutes something like a 'very, very' short period of time, or 'much, much' shorter period than other outbreaks is probably the most consistently wrong assumption on these threads.

I don't even think posters are being dishonest here, they are just confused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Looks to be real. For a fella so sensitive to his social media image he can be very very stupid at times.

It's not that I dont think it's real but the video may not have been filmed as recently as the twitter poster claims. There's no proof it isn't from another summer like last year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52795447

Let's see if this leads to outbreaks, I'd guess not, don't think this thing transmits out in open sunny weather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

I see the China are trying to impose laws onto Hong Kong. The protesters are back out in full force.

A headline in the National review

"a years worth of suicide attempts in the last four weeks"

bb1234567 wrote: »
    It's not that I dont think it's real but the video may not have been filmed as recently as the twitter poster claims. There's no proof it isn't from another summer like last year

There is, confirmed in the independent from his dept that it's from yesterday.

There is, confirmed in the independent from his dept that it's from yesterday.

You want us all to live like hermits for the rest of our lives?

We're allowed out.

Get over yourself.

Were allowed out.

Get over yourself.

Lol

Were allowed out.

Get over yourself.

If you look back at my post history I've been saying people should be out. I've been out, I'm completely against people living like hermits so a bit of perspective please and dont be jumping to conclusions.

I think its hypocritical for him to be telling us to keep 2m and won't budge on it when it looks like he didn't observe it himself. We're quite quick to point out the flaws in the UK when someone in power there breaks the rules. That's the point.

Get over yourself

I'm not ignoring it. I'm saying you cannot count deaths that didn't happen as if they did happen. Do you not get that projections of things happening are not the same thing as reality?

So you are telling me that all the deaths in 1969 were recorded accurately?

No the truth is that many posters here are deeply confused about timeframes re pandemics. Hong Kong flu did not flare continuously for two years. Nor did 1918-19 Spanish Flu.

The claim that 3 or more months of covid constitutes something like a 'very, very' short period of time, or 'much, much' shorter period than other outbreaks is probably the most consistently wrong assumption on these threads.

I don't even think posters are being dishonest here, they are just confused.

And is the situation with COVID not worse then given that history of other pandemics? COVID clearly remains at a quite an inflated and protracted curve even with a lockdown and other measures stamping rates of infections down. I guess it will be interesting to see how long the the natural lifespan of the curve is in a more or less unintervened way in Brazil and Mexico

• Advertisement

We're allowed out.

Get over yourself.

This thread is ridiculous

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement