Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVII-24,841 in ROI (1,639 deaths) 4,679 in NI (518 deaths)(28/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

Why have hotels and restaurants not joined forces to take a court case against the restrictions? I'm sure they'd mount a better challenge than Waters and O'Doherty did.

Still amazed people didn't see the point in their effort over who they are.
    Might see a few big court cases coming soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Austria, Czech Rep., Denmark and Switzerland all doing ok with sustained low number of cases (under 100 cases a day for over a month). After 4 week of lifting restrictions. Hopefully follows a similar pattern here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Apologies if it has been posted but what are the NI numbers. It seems on the RTE app not much mention about them the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Apologies if it has been posted but what are the NI numbers. It seems on the RTE app not much mention about them the last few days.

You didn't look too hard
    Twenty-five more cases, department says
    Today's update from the Department of Health shows there have now been more than 57,052 tests carried out in Northern Ireland.
    A total of 4,570 people have tested positive for Covid-19 - that's a further 25 new cases.

One further death in NI, department says
    There has been one further coronavirus-related death in Northern Ireland reported.
    Its total now stands at 506 which are mostly focused on hospital deaths.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    You didn't look too hard

Well i have been busy, my absolute apologies putting you to the trouble of finding them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Well i have been busy, my absolute apologies putting you to the trouble of finding them.

I'll survive and catch up on those 15 seconds at some point tomorrow - probably skip coffee break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

A probable advance in the effective drug treatment of critical Covid-19 patients

The biggest killer of severely ill Covid-19 patients in ICUs is the so called 'cytokine storm', where the immune system goes wild and damages large areas of the lungs and other organs with uncontrolled inflammatory responses. This has led to ~ 50% mortality in patients who needed ventilators just a few months ago.

A small study of 21 patients from Shanghai China, with severe or critical COVID-19 infection, were given tocilizumab... a drug which blocks the cytokine storm. Clinical symptoms of all patients improved remarkably with good prognosis after the treatment. All patients were discharged, most of them within 2 weeks after being treated with tocilizumab.

Tocilizumab has been used for the treatment of moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis and other diseases for years.

This could be a game changer for severely ill Covid patients, if the early promise is proven with larger studies.

A larger randomized study involving this drug, at 11 locations in China, which should conclude by 31 May 2020 may hopefully yield more positive results.

https://www.pnas.org/content/117/20/10970

Is this thread burning out just like the virus?!

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    I'll survive and catch up on those 15 seconds at some point tomorrow - probably skip coffee break.

So why are you complaining over 15 secs then?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Enter name here

A probable advance in the effective drug treatment of critical Covid-19 patients

The biggest killer of severely ill Covid-19 patients in ICUs is the so called 'cytokine storm', where the immune system goes wild and damages large areas of the lungs and other organs with uncontrolled inflammatory responses. This has led to ~ 50% mortality in patients who needed ventilators just a few months ago.

A small study of 21 patients from Shanghai China, with severe or critical COVID-19 infection, were given tocilizumab... a drug which blocks the cytokine storm. Clinical symptoms of all patients improved remarkably with good prognosis after the treatment. All patients were discharged, most of them within 2 weeks after being treated with tocilizumab.

Tocilizumab has been used for the treatment of moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis and other diseases for years.

This could be a game changer for severely ill Covid patients, if the early promise is proven with larger studies.

A larger randomized study involving this drug, at 11 locations in China, which should conclude by 31 May 2020 may hopefully yield more positive results.

Yes we should get right on anything the Chinese say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Enter name here

Link to the wonder drug you mention in the article.

https://www.statnews.com/2017/06/05/actemra-rheumatoid-arthritis-fda/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Link to the wonder drug you mention in the article.

https://www.statnews.com/2017/06/05/actemra-rheumatoid-arthritis-fda/

Another team in the States are recruiting for a trial using a different drug to achieve the same outcome.

"Preventing 'cytokine storm' may ease severe COVID-19 symptoms"

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/05/200521165706.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭Polar101

Yes we should get right on anything the Chinese say.

Well, probably not - but it is good news that more possible treatments are emerging. If they come up with treatments that work even partially, then less people will die even before there is a vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

And remember this video much beloved by some - it hasn't aged that well though when supermarkets are publishing figures to effect that only 0.3% of their staff caught the virus, and they stuck there all day long.

Have they tested every member of their nationwide staff to prove this was the case? Seeing as we're dealing with a virus which can kill some people but display no symptoms at all in others. And I assume those it would most likely kill would be on paid leave from these supermarkets (here in UK it's 12 weeks paid for vunerable people) so the 0.3% figure is slightly disingenous if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,970 ✭✭✭normanoffside

fr336 wrote: »
    Have they tested every member of their nationwide staff to prove this was the case? Seeing as we're dealing with a virus which can kill some people but display no symptoms at all in others. And I assume those it would most likely kill would be on paid leave from these supermarkets (here in UK it's 12 weeks paid for vunerable people) so the 0.3% figure is slightly disingenous if you ask me.

No Supermarket workers in Ireland have died though AFAIK, ditto meat plant workers,

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

HSE operations update published.

As of 8pm 49 covid patients in ICU, down from 51 yesterday and no ICU deaths in the previous 24hrs.

Likewise as of 8pm 303 confirmed covid patients in acute hospitals, was 301 yesterday. Numbers dont tend to deviate much over the weekend.

13 cases confirmed in hospitals in the last 24hrs.

Big change in the number of vacant acute beds across the system its 735 tonight compared to 1146 last night. Would assume more people are now attending hospitals that had been putting it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Is this thread burning out just like the virus?!

Does seem to be quieting down alright. Hoping it’s because most have come to see reason when it comes to relaxation of current restrictions.

Before it dies though - and even though this may be premature, I’d just like to pay my respects to those who have put in the time to bring relevant and enlightening information from many sources of worldwide experts and media, and theories in opposition to mainstream fear-mongering.

It’s helped to keep me sane and voice some opinions that IRL I would be more likely to keep to myself and quietly bite my lip from the frustration of listening to those I am close to parrot the nonsense that we are being fed by RTÉ and the cult-like devotion afforded to NPHET by our government.

Fair play for arguing the same points since March in the face of each new unsuspecting wanderer to this thread every couple of days. Over and over again.

Tide is finally turning. Salutes to you all, you know who you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

face it the covid war is drawing to a close, time for fit and healthy people to be getting back to normal routines its getting ridiculous now! this crap has gone on too long we have to take our chances how many have died from other things today id say more chance of winning lotto than contracting covid!

Even this thread isn’t as lively as it use to be . People getting bored now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Does seem to be quieting down alright. Hoping it’s because most have come to see reason when it comes to relaxation of current restrictions.

Before it dies though - and even though this may be premature, I’d just like to pay my respects to those who have put in the time to bring relevant and enlightening information from many sources of worldwide experts and media, and theories in opposition to mainstream fear-mongering.

It’s helped to keep me sane and voice some opinions that IRL I would be more likely to keep to myself and quietly bite my lip from the frustration of listening to those I am close to parrot the nonsense that we are being fed by RTÉ and the cult-like devotion afforded to NPHET by our government.

Fair play for arguing the same points since March in the face of each new unsuspecting wanderer to this thread every couple of days. Over and over again.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭political analyst

Onesea wrote: »
    Still amazed people didn't see the point in their effort over who they are.
    Might see a few big court cases coming soon.

I don't think making spurious comparisons to the Third Reich is a credible effort at a legal challenge to the restrictions, is it?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Eighth straight day without a case in Sligo, up to 5 for Kerry.

Finally a 5 in a row for Kerry!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Even this thread isn’t as lively as it use to be . People getting bored now

Hopefully getting back to living their lives in peace- that’s all I ever wanted since I started commenting here

face it the covid war is drawing to a close, time for fit and healthy people to be getting back to normal routines its getting ridiculous now! this crap has gone on too long we have to take our chances how many have died from other things today id say more chance of winning lotto than contracting covid!

I'd say that as long as people such as yourself are spouting idiotic nonsense we'll have to continue with the cautious approach. Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭boardise

What a cartload of oleaginous twaddle .:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

what is it with populist leaders completely unable to deal with a national emergency?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/23/horror-show-bolsonaros-foul-tirade-could-end-rule-say-critics

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

davedanon wrote: »
    I'd say that as long as people such as yourself are spouting idiotic nonsense we'll have to continue with the cautious approach. Hope this helps!

Sorry to disappoint you but we are going to go bankrupt with this “cautious approach “ so that’s what will determine the return of normality. Not threats from dithering hypochondriacs and their “new normal” tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

What chances will you be taking, hero?

road_high wrote: »
    Sorry to disappoint you but we are going to go bankrupt with this “cautious approach “ so that’s what will determine the return of normality. Not threats from dithering hypochondriacs and their “new normal” tripe.

No, we are not going to go bankrupt. Wealthy western democracies don't, as a rule. Especially not when everyone's in the same boat.

And tossing around terms like 'hyponchondriacs' and 'new normal tripe', in the midst of the biggest pandemic in a century.....well, it's not a good look, let's say.

Got living parents, have you? Aunties?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

sonofenoch wrote: »
    In what fashion? from a numbers perspective we were never going to reach their numbers purely on demographics .....do some people actually believe we were in threat of having 100's or 1000's die daily from this virus :rolleyes:

for us the equivalent would be maybe 100 dying a day......and we never really got close to that

We had very high deaths for a short period of time, 45-55 deaths per day at the peak, that is definitely on par with many of the hardest hit regions of the world per capita. We would have suffered huge death toll without a lockdown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

You’d say there’s more chance of winning the lotto than contracting covid?

I’d say you might have been sick the day your maths teacher covered probability.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement