Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭blueberrypie

Not aware of Colm O Rourkes issue with unions.
    I heard something about a GAA player/teacher in his school wanting a week off to go on a sun holiday/team bonding week. He had a huge issue with this, even with his stong GAA connection.

I read his column in the Sunday Indo.
    He comes across as anti teacher, anti-student, anti-parent and anti-union.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Treppen wrote: »
    You do know why Colm is so bitter against the unions right?

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Not aware of Colm O Rourkes issue with unions.
    I heard something about a GAA player/teacher in his school wanting a week off to go on a sun holiday/team bonding week. He had a huge issue with this, even with his stong GAA connection.

I read his column in the Sunday Indo.
    He comes across as anti teacher, anti-student, anti-parent and anti-union.

Essentially anything that makes his life as a principal anyway different and difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

This subject needs a new thread or perhaps there’s already one it’s more suited to.
    Nothing to do with September and schools returning.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Mrsmum wrote: »
    There's an example to prove every and any case though. Some students and their parents learn the hard way after going against teacher's advice and for some it goes the opposite way. At the end of the day teachers teach and parents parent and neither should be derided for doing their jobs.

From my experience you can get nearly anyone through a LC higher level exam if they put enough time in, that's the issue. There are ways of doing these exams where it's more exam craft than subject matter knowledge, if you force students to memorize in English for example, they can regurgitate prepared writing for almost all sections, even comprehension of new material, they can have prepared blurbs for general subject matter. Languages are even easier, much less depth than an English exam. Math involves years of consistent homework but the hard sciences are less in depth again. You can program these kids to a certain degree if they are dedicated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

A reasonable and balanced submission by the IPPN. There is a very clear outline here of what is required.

1. Clear guidance in relation to all of the issues, challenges and concerns outlined below needs to be provided to all schools as soon as possible. Ideally it would be available online, so that the most up-to-date information is available when it is needed, and that it reflects current best practice. The most critical guidance relates to the protection of all members of the school community and the procedures and resources needed to ensure same.
    2. Additional funding must be provided to schools up front to enable them to implement the guidelines in full. In addition, the centralised procurement and distribution to all schools of appropriate and sufficient PPE equipment and materials prior to their full reopening in the Autumn would greatly alleviate schools of a significant burden over the summer months.
    3. Support must be given to schools in managing the full reopening of their buildings to staff and pupils - it must be a collaborative, rather than an inspection-based approach
    4. Additional leadership and management time to be provided to teaching principals to flexibly meet the needs of the school. Some teaching principals may prefer to have additional support to focus on administration, so they can spend more time in the classroom - flexibility is the key here
    5. Training of all staff must be provided prior to reopening - so everyone has the same information at the same time. Additional training of caretaking and cleaning staff is also required
    6. No school should lose a staff member owing to COVID-19 e.g. parental decision to keep children at home/defer their child's start in junior infants
    7. A checklist for schools - incorporating key short-term, medium-term and long-term actions - would be very helpful
    8. A 'General Contract' to be provided centrally for all parents for the new school year to accept the new terms and conditions that balance the safety of the school community with their child's right to an education
    9. No new initiatives can be introduced in primary schools in the 2020/21 school year - to respect school staff who must prioritise getting their schools up and running in very changed circumstances - this will be sufficiently challenging for the next school year
    10. Inspections should be paused until at least January 2021. The role of inspectors should be temporarily changed to support schools to get back up and running and to restore normality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

If a lot of the above was clarified it would definitely go along way to putting plans in place and being able to communicate them with parents. I’d say it’s a nightmare of a time for principals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Yeah the INTO put forward a very good document of suggestions too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭tigger123

pwurple wrote: »
    Cool story. Here's another one. I had an English teacher who spent two years trying to push me down to ordinary level. I was a huge fan of contemporary abstract literature at the time and she didn't like my writing style I think. I didn't get grinds, but I did get a B1 in higher level English in the LC. She was at the school when we got our results and told me it must be a mistake as I couldn't possibly have gotten that grade.

I wouldn't have wanted her grading my leaving cert, that's for damn sure.

I had a similar experience in Higher Leaving Cert English. I got on great with all of my teachers, but my English teacher couldn't stand the sight of me for some reason. Ended up with a B1 in spite of him.

The idea of him deciding my grade is a pretty scary thought.

Has anyone thought about how this will effect the failure rate? How many fails are going to be dolled out this year on a predictive basis? If it's done on a bell curve for the school, surely a similar amount will have to be given in 2020 as there were in previous years... ?

Good insight of covid cases in Ireland released by CSO today, goes into quite a lot of detail.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/br/b-cdc/covid-19deathsandcases/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,099 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

https://www.rte.ie/news/ulster/2020/0519/1139419-monaghan-graduation/

A big well done to this school ! Well done to the Principal and staff for being pro active and thinking outside the box . Fair play to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

iamwhoiam wrote: »

A big well done to this school ! Well done to the Principal and staff for being pro active and thinking outside the box . Fair play to them

Refused permission in my area. So I hope people don't go making rash judgments about other schools based on this.

A lovely idea but totally disregarding the guidelines about 4 people in a group.

Refused permission in my area. So I hope people don't go making rash judgments about other schools based on this.

Do you mind me asking you asked and who refused permission?

A lovely idea but totally disregarding the guidelines about 4 people in a group.

No worse than a suprmarket queue . I see no harm in it whatsoever . They are all 2 metres apart outdoors and fair play to all

That's so lovely, really good for those students to be able to have some form of celebration and mark the occasion.

It really is a big deal for them, so good to see some new ideas coming out so that they can have some semblance of normality.

I'm sure it meant a lot to all those families.

Do you mind me asking you asked and who refused permission?

I didn't ask as I wasn't organising, but was informed the local Gardai said no. I was invited to attend.

No worse than a suprmarket queue . I see no harm in it whatsoever . They are all 2 metres apart outdoors and fair play to all

Did I say there was any harm? I just said it is totally disregarding the public health guidelines that are currently in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Rest assured teachers will do all in their power to avoid going back to work ...some teachers want to be off all their working lives not just 6 months a year!

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Rest assured teachers will do all in their power to avoid going back to work ...some teachers want to be off all their working lives not just 6 months a year!

Good man :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Ohhh please tell us more! How did we get the schools closed? How will we keep them closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Murple

A lovely idea and weren’t they fortunate to have such a large car park at the school to facilitate such an event.
    Many other schools in more built up areas wouldn’t have anything suitable at all but I know quite a number have done Zoom graduations/assemblies.
    Despite what some here would have you believe, most schools are doing their best as they care about the students.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Idiotic comment.
    Why don't you go train to be one then?

Did I say there was any harm? I just said it is totally disregarding the public health guidelines that are currently in place.

I think its just fabulous for the students . All distancing and all standing well apart . The queue in B and Q is fine apparently so I can’t see why the young people standing well apart shouldn’t be
    Credit where credit is due

I think its just fabulous for the students . All distancing and all standing well apart . The queue in B and Q is fine apparently so I can’t see why the young people standing well apart shouldn’t be
    Credit where credit is due

Yes it's lovely for this school. But obviously not possible for all schools unfortunately.

Yes it's lovely for this school. But obviously not possible for all schools unfortunately.

No unfortunately its not . They were lucky to have the space and the good weather too !

Murple wrote: »
    A lovely idea and weren’t they fortunate to have such a large car park at the school to facilitate such an event.
    Many other schools in more built up areas wouldn’t have anything suitable at all but I know quite a number have done Zoom graduations/assemblies.

I do feel sorry for the like of 6th class, 6th year's and kids due to start primary in September. It's such a little rite of passage that they are missing out on and closes a chapter in their lives :(

It's good to hear that some of the ceremonies are still being held albeit in different circumstances, it definitely helps and I'm sure it's much appreciated.

My granddaughters teachers sends little videos via a group whatsapp . She mentioned they all had lost their two bottom teeth and she would call them the gummy class ! The child was so delighted at the message and especially the gummy class name ! It made her day !

I do feel sorry for the like of 6th class, 6th year's and kids due to start primary in September. It's such a little rite of passage that they are missing out on and closes a chapter in their lives :(

It's good to hear that some of the ceremonies are still being held albeit in different circumstances, it definitely helps and I'm sure it's much appreciated.

It is awful for them, they have missed so much between confirmation, graduation, getting shirts signed, pizza day, sports day, the biggggg final school tour. I wish I could give them all a hug as they are fantastic kids. We are planning a virtual send off and getting a few celebs in on the act, fingers crossed it works out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I think teachers should deliberately get infected then infect their whole school just to avoid some work

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement