Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

khalessi wrote: »
    It is awful for them, they have missed so much between confirmation, graduation, getting shirts signed, pizza day, sports day, the biggggg final school tour. I wish I could give them all a hug as they are fantastic kids. We are planning a virtual send off and getting a few celebs in on the act, fingers crossed it works out.

I've had a few parents basically asking why can't the school just let them in for a day and that no one would tell.

When it's pointed out to them that 'IF' they were to be allowed back under public health advice then shirt signing, any sort of shared food, any sport which involved any physical contact wouldn't be allowed they kinda back off and say sure there is no point then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Treppen

Ohhh please tell us more! How did we get the schools closed? How will we keep them closed?

Just checked my teacher's journal there.
    It would appear I was eating bats and dogs in Wuhan last year.
    Sorry for ruining the Leaving Cert SimonLuas

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    My granddaughters teachers sends little videos via a group whatsapp . She mentioned they all had lost their two bottom teeth and she would call them the gummy class ! The child was so delighted at the message and especially the gummy class name ! It made her day !

WhatsApp shouldn't be used by a teacher for any sort of group communication. Huge GDPR issues around it. You can imagine the inspectorate having a field day with this when they get back into schools in the next school year. Hopefully that teacher remembers not to include it in their notes for this period as it could leave them open to repercussions at a later stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

I've had a few parents basically asking why can't the school just let them in for a day and that no one would tell.

When it's pointed out to them that 'IF' they were to be allowed back under public health advice then shirt signing, any sort of shared food, any sport which involved any physical contact wouldn't be allowed they kinda back off and say sure there is no point then.

"And no one would tell" That is sooo cute though

I spluttered when I read that, kids and social media and all. It is awful, we are going to be handing back their books and hopefully we will get a chance to say a quick goodbye. Im going to send them all a card telling them how amazing they have all been.

Gas part this year I was beginning to teach them Word and all that goes with it, and instead they were landed in at the deep end, and did well with it. Proud of them I am.

Treppen wrote: »
    Just checked my teacher's journal there.
    It would appear I was eating bats and dogs in Wuhan last year.
    Sorry for ruining the Leaving Cert SimonLuas

What type of dipping sauce did you use? Could you explain more in not less than 1500 words using paragraphs.

• Advertisement

I think teachers should deliberately get infected then infect their whole school just to avoid some work

That's for when they finally manage to get us back into school. I've some bats on order so that I can stop this face to face teaching in the classroom lark at source!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

WhatsApp shouldn't be used by a teacher for any sort of group communication. Huge GDPR issues around it. You can imagine the inspectorate having a field day with this when they get back into schools in the next school year. Hopefully that teacher remembers not to include it in their notes for this period as it could leave them open to repercussions at a later stage.

Oh maybe it was via e mail or on a zoom call I wasn’t there . My granddaughter just told me about her excitement .

I think teachers should deliberately get infected then infect their whole school just to avoid some work

Too difficult, requires organisation. I suggest just locking the doors and staying very quiet. No one will notice:cool::D

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Murple

I do feel sorry for the like of 6th class, 6th year's and kids due to start primary in September. It's such a little rite of passage that they are missing out on and closes a chapter in their lives :(

It's good to hear that some of the ceremonies are still being held albeit in different circumstances, it definitely helps and I'm sure it's much appreciated.

I taught my school’s current 6th class when they were younger. They were a fantastic bunch and I feel sad that they leaving the school, even more so in the circumstances. We are doing our best to do something for them and live in hope that in the autumn or the spring, we can have some celebration for them, a reunion perhaps.
    And believe it or not, my thoughts also go to the 6th years that I taught when they were 7 years old. It is very tough on them but like 6th class, they are young and will hopefully have many rites of passage and celebrations to look forward to over the next number of years.
    The circumstances are not easy for anyone and no response is perfect but most are doing the best they know how at the time.

What type of dipping sauce did you use? Could you explain more in not less than 1500 words using paragraphs.

Student's tears

• Advertisement

Great news that the ASTI have ironed out the issues they had .

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

I do feel sorry for the like of 6th class, 6th year's and kids due to start primary in September. It's such a little rite of passage that they are missing out on and closes a chapter in their lives :(

It's good to hear that some of the ceremonies are still being held albeit in different circumstances, it definitely helps and I'm sure it's much appreciated.

I doubt you actually care very much about these students' at all really. If you did you might have become a teacher yourself. Instead of just coming online here to like posts stating that teachers are lazy and want a day off everyday.

All that media hysteria and Union bashing going to waste. How sad

Dammit, that was people's weekends filled and the media will have to rewrite their pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

JP100 wrote: »
    I doubt you actually care very much about these students' at all really. If you did you might have actually became a teacher yourself. Instead of just coming online here to like posts stating that teachers are lazy and want a day off everyday.

I have a career thanks very much, I can still care about people without being a teacher.

Your doubts are not my concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

For that age group maybe it was sent to their parents and the parents agreed to it? It's a lot easier, and more cost and time efficient, to send one text to the parents, than 28 notes home in bags.

My hubby and daughter both coach footie and they both use what'sapp to stay in touch with the parents (as a group)

As a mature student myself, one of our teachers set up a group and checked if we were willing to be in it. They knew some students wouldn't read emails.

GDPR went out the window as soon as people were allowed work from home without proper facilities in place.

Desperate times calls for desperate measures.

I was only relaying good news not bashing anyone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Wanderer19 wrote: »
    For that age group maybe it was sent to their parents and the parents agreed to it? It's a lot easier, and more cost and time efficient, to send one text to the parents, than 28 notes home in bags.

My hubby and daughter both coach footie and they both use what'sapp to stay in touch with the parents (as a group)

As a mature student myself, one of our teachers set up a group and checked if we were willing to be in it. They knew some students wouldn't read emails.

GDPR went out the window as soon as people were allowed work from home without proper facilities in place.

Ive no idea what it is about whatsapp but we were warned that under no circumstances were we to use it as a means of contacting students due to GDPR. All contact needs to be through teams.

It looks like it was sorted pretty fast and easily in the end, probably unnecessary that it even made it into the media in the first place.

Looks like there might have been a boo boo in it being published before all the issues were ironed out.

It's been a bit of a rollercoaster for LC students so hopefully it's all done and dusted and they can get on with it.

Wanderer19 wrote: »

Are all participants numbers hidden from each other participants?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Are all participants numbers hidden from other participants?

Maybe why we were told not to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

It looks like it was sorted pretty fast and easily in the end, probably unnecessary that it even made it into the media in the first place.

Looks like there might have been a boo boo in it being published before all the issues were ironed out.

It's been a bit of a rollercoaster for LC students so hopefully it's all done and dusted and they can get on with it.

No boo boo. ASTI have clearly stated that the government went ahead and published knowing they would not accept the indemnity, as a means of trying to bully them. The government had no concern for the students here.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

A reasonable and balanced submission by the IPPN. There is a very clear outline here of what is required.

1. Clear guidance in relation to all of the issues, challenges and concerns outlined below needs to be provided to all schools as soon as possible. Ideally it would be available online, so that the most up-to-date information is available when it is needed, and that it reflects current best practice. The most critical guidance relates to the protection of all members of the school community and the procedures and resources needed to ensure same.
    2. Additional funding must be provided to schools up front to enable them to implement the guidelines in full. In addition, the centralised procurement and distribution to all schools of appropriate and sufficient PPE equipment and materials prior to their full reopening in the Autumn would greatly alleviate schools of a significant burden over the summer months.
    3. Support must be given to schools in managing the full reopening of their buildings to staff and pupils - it must be a collaborative, rather than an inspection-based approach
    4. Additional leadership and management time to be provided to teaching principals to flexibly meet the needs of the school. Some teaching principals may prefer to have additional support to focus on administration, so they can spend more time in the classroom - flexibility is the key here
    5. Training of all staff must be provided prior to reopening - so everyone has the same information at the same time. Additional training of caretaking and cleaning staff is also required
    6. No school should lose a staff member owing to COVID-19 e.g. parental decision to keep children at home/defer their child's start in junior infants
    7. A checklist for schools - incorporating key short-term, medium-term and long-term actions - would be very helpful
    8. A 'General Contract' to be provided centrally for all parents for the new school year to accept the new terms and conditions that balance the safety of the school community with their child's right to an education
    9. No new initiatives can be introduced in primary schools in the 2020/21 school year - to respect school staff who must prioritise getting their schools up and running in very changed circumstances - this will be sufficiently challenging for the next school year
    10. Inspections should be paused until at least January 2021. The role of inspectors should be temporarily changed to support schools to get back up and running and to restore normality.

Could they not be doing this training now online, maybe somebody could email them all the training instructions on Sunday evening, maybe a quick zoom call during the week and that be that....sorted.:pac::D;)

PS I'm joking!

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

I have a career thanks very much, I can still care about people without being a teacher.

Your doubts are not my concern.

We all have a career but there's some people who have never ever worked to help young people in any shape or form whether it be teaching, sports clubs, youth centres, etc who then regularly criticise and run down the very people who do. The latter also done from a position whereby those criticising actually have a lack of concrete knowledge in the actual practicalities and realities of working in such areas.

No boo boo. ASTI have clearly stated that the government went ahead and published knowing they would not accept the indemnity, as a means of trying to bully them. The government had no concern for the students here.

That’s shocking , I really feel for the young people due to do LC they must feel like they are in a swirling washing machine
    I have a niece who wants to do Medicine and is now so anxious .

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Newbie20

People that don’t bother reading the details on anything only the headlines will be doing another quick u-turn now as they need their outrage to fit the circumstances.

Yesterday: “Teachers are a disgrace, refusing to do predicted grades.”

Today: “They agreed? Am.... they only did that so they don’t have to teach them in the summer. They’re a disgrace”

It’s actually quite funny how uninformed a lot of people have been throughout their outrage.

JP100 wrote: »
    We all have a career but there's some people who have never ever worked to help young people in any shape or form whether it be teaching, sports clubs, youth centres, etc who then regularly criticise and run down the very people who do. The latter also done from a position whereby those criticising actually have a lack of concrete knowledge in the actual practicalities and realities of working in such areas and with young people.

Oh tell me about it :) you know nothing about the work I've done in a professional or volunteer capacity so don't pretend otherwise.

The opposite to what you assume is the case so don't be so quick to jump to completely unfounded conclusions.

Oh tell me about it :) you know nothing about the work I've done in a professional or volunteer capacity so don't pretend otherwise.

The opposite to what you assume is the case so don't be so quick to jump to completely unfounded conclusions.

giphy.gif

Have you read your posts or the one ones you thank???

giphy.gif

But to claim that "never ever worked to help young people in any shape or form whether it be teaching, sports clubs, youth centres".

I'd say that it's fair to say that's jumping to conclusions, they don't know me and its far from factual.

• Advertisement

giphy.gif

Precisely and I'll leave it at that. The hypocrisy is there for all to see and I won't derail this thread by any further discussion by myself on it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement