Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

I have a career thanks very much, I can still care about people without being a teacher.

Your doubts are not my concern.

I'm guessing that you are a politician based on the fact that you never answer a question directed at you and you create "facts" to suit your agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

lulublue22 wrote: »
    Ive no idea what it is about whatsapp but we were warned that under no circumstances were we to use it as a means of contacting students due to GDPR. All contact needs to be through teams.

All GAA and LGFA clubs instructed not to use it either at the start of this year. Should never be used in a school setting ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

All GAA and LGFA clubs instructed not to use it either at the start of this year. Should never be used in a school setting ever.

I rarely use it as too much crap gets sent on it but it is very popular among a lot of our staff - principal was clear enough that it wasn’t suitable for school setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Yeah we dont use it either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Treppen wrote: »
    All that media hysteria and Union bashing going to waste. How sad

It is great news that all has been sorted. There is a stink of attention seeking off the unions actions though. They could easily have said they 'agree in principal but need some further clarification', instead they publicly declare that members should not engage with the LC grading system as is. The ASTI is like a cult, the die hards will be along shortly to defend it to the death no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

sideswipe wrote: »
    It is great news that all has been sorted. There is a stink of attention seeking off the unions actions though. They could easily have said they 'agree in principal but need some further clarification', instead they publicly declare that members should not engage with the LC grading system as is. The ASTI is like a cult, the die hards will be along shortly to defend it to the death no doubt.

As I said earlier in the thread I've no skin in this game as I'm primary. My understanding through my dad who knows what happened is that the ASTI asked them to clarify things but that in the meantime someone leaked details to the media(worse than the Mayo GAA County Board for leaks). McHugh then had to rush release and never told the two unions before he did. TUI wrongly assumed that the issues that both unions had were resolved and said fine with us but the ASTI got the doc and looked for what they had requested. Didn't find it and then released their statement as they already had their legal advice. Bit of a lack of communication caused the whole thing because of some idiot who couldn't wait to feed their media buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

As I said earlier in the thread I've no skin in this game as I'm primary. My understanding through my dad who knows what happened is that the ASTI asked them to clarify things but that in the meantime someone leaked details to the media(worse than the Mayo GAA County Board for leaks). McHugh then had to rush release and never told the two unions before he did. TUI wrongly assumed that the issues that both unions had were resolved and said fine with us but the ASTI got the doc and looked for what they had requested. Didn't find it and then released their statement as they already had their legal advice. Bit of a lack of communication caused the whole thing because of some idiot who couldn't wait to feed their media buddy.

Jesus if that's true it is a ridiculous situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Good lord. They are like a ****ing sieve in there

Good lord. They are like a ****ing sieve in there

Yeah its feckn nuts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Yeah I thought it had a bit of an inadvertent media release written all over it, suppose it could have been worse and was rectified pretty swiftly.

Especially at times like this they need to be so careful about what's getting out into the public domain (e.g 2 hour Dail sittings confusion).

I know they are trying to be as honest and as transparent as possible right now (thankfully unlike some other countries) but it's getting that balance right that's difficult so as not to cause unnecessary issues or confusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Yeah I thought it had a bit of an inadvertent media release written all over it, suppose it could have been worse and was rectified pretty swiftly.

Especially at times like this they need to be so careful about what's getting out into the public domain (e.g 2 hour Dail sittings confusion).

I know they are trying to be as honest and as transparent as possible right now (thankfully unlike some other countries) but it's getting that balance right that's difficult so as not to cause unnecessary issues or confusion.

Just as well nobody jumped on the bandwagon and used it as an opportunity to bash teachers.

Unfortunately it's not surprising, deluded unions, really need a good dose of reality at this stage.

Disgraceful carry on and will leave a very bad taste, they'll have very little public support for anything like that given the circumstances that the entire country finds itself in.

There's a time and place and it's not now.
    A state indemnity has been approved by government but no that's not enough, a union advising its members not to engage at a time like this is disgraceful (but like I said not at all surprising).

Everyone making sacrifices and pulling together all across the country. People risking their own lives and that of their families so they can care for others during the peak.

It's actually awful behaviour and people will remember it.
    Yes that seems to be the plan, the state has given indemnity for teachers and schools to protect them from possible legal action. But ASTI aren't satisfied that it's enough.

Other unions and groups involved in the process seem to be OK with it.

Even the childcare for front line workers couldn't get a state indemnity (which is why that's still a mess).
    Teachers union - we don't let our members engage because your state indemnity is not enough.

And unions (only one of them BTW) oppose it because that's their default.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭combat14

new outbreak in China on border with russia shows sign of changes..........

takes longer to detect, longer to recover, etc.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-20/china-sees-signs-new-cluster-carries-virus-longer-than-in-wuhan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

combat14 wrote: »

You just going to post this all over boards to try and scare people?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭combat14

Hubertj wrote: »
    You just going to post this all over boards to try and scare people?

No this is a factual article from Bloomberg..
    indicates that we are still in the early days of this virus and need to be sensible and cautious when making practical considerations for reopening schools, borders and the economy

no point burying ones head in the sand

Just as well nobody jumped on the bandwagon and used it as an opportunity to bash teachers.

Get over it, I didn't once bash teachers so not sure why you're getting so defensive. I'm entitled to my opinion which related to unions not teachers.

I have praised those teachers who have been doing a good job during all of this, you won't waste your time finding those quotes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lyle

Just on the inflammatory disease:

"Coronavirus: Three children confirmed with rare inflammatory condition"
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-three-children-confirmed-with-rare-inflammatory-condition-1.4261101?mode=amp

Good news is all three have recovered and been released from hospital.

On their experience:
    Pims has characteristics similar to those of Kawasaki disease. The children also showed at least two of the following symptoms: rash or signs of inflammation around the mouth, hands or feet; shock or low blood pressure; heart problems; evidence of bleeding disorder; and acute gastrointestinal problems.

Meanwhile, over in New York:

"After 3 Children Die, a Race to Investigate a Baffling Virus Syndrome"
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/22/nyregion/children-coronavirus-syndrome-new-york.html

A 5, 7 and 18 year old have died from the ailment in New York while a team of more than 30 disease detectives - epidemiologists, clinicians and statisticians - is poring over thousands of pages of medical records... looking at everything possible - therapies, diagnostics, clinical picture - and trying to pull it all together.
    The ailment has now been reported in at least 161 children in New York, making the state’s caseload one of the largest publicly reported anywhere. Hundreds of other children across the United States and in Europe have also been sickened with the illness, now called multisystem inflammatory syndrome.

The syndrome can be characterized by severe inflammation of the heart, blood vessels, the gastrointestinal tract or other organs, believed to be caused by a reaction to the coronavirus. The inquiries into why it is occurring, and whether a treatment can be found, could have an impact on how the authorities handle the reopening of schools and other activities for children.

Doctors in New York involved in the effort say that not since health officials began investigating the connection between Zika in pregnant women and microcephaly in 2015 and 2016 has there been such an urgent search to understand a mysterious threat to children.

Here's hoping the focus of study in understanding genetic variations in children who have a bad turn with this in New York and probably elsewhere as we move along can shine a clear light by September.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

Could I ask a silly question. Would I be right in assuming that when schools reopen any child with any signs of sickness will be expected to self isolate for 14 days, along with other children in the family, whether tested or not?

Reason I ask is just thinking of how many viruses children get through the year, that will be a very disruptive rate of absenteeism. Not a criticism as it seems like a very sensible precaution, just an observation that over autumn and winter, as long as parents comply, there will be a lot of absent children. In my youngest child's class last autumn /winter, it was just a chorus of coughing and sneezing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

morebabies wrote: »
    Could I ask a silly question. Would I be right in assuming that when schools reopen any child with any signs of sickness will be expected to self isolate for 14 days, along with other children in the family, whether tested or not?

Reason I ask is just thinking of how many viruses children get through the year, that will be a very disruptive rate of absenteeism. Not a criticism as it seems like a very sensible precaution, just an observation that over autumn and winter, as long as parents comply, there will be a lot of absent children. In my youngest child's class last autumn /winter, it was just a chorus of coughing and sneezing.

I would like to imagine that the child will be tested ASAP, and if they are clear of covid, they go back when they are better.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

I would like to imagine that the child will be tested ASAP, and if they are clear of covid, they go back when they are better.

Although the numbers tested could be put under pressure with the increase in seasonal flu cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

Although the numbers tested could be put under pressure with the increase in seasonal flu cases.

Hopefully they will have planned for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

The way things are looking I doubt schools will be back 100% in September. Could we see a situation where children are only in school physically 1/2 days a week with parents taking care of them for the other days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

The behaviour of adults and kids turning up to work or schools with coughs and colds should be well and truly over.

The way things are looking I doubt schools will be back 100% in September. Could we see a situation where children are only in school physically 1/2 days a week with parents taking care of them for the other days.

I think there will also be a good case for a homeschooling programme so hopefully that option will be made easily available to parents who don't want to send their kids back or who can't readily manage the logistics.

There is suggestion that preschools/creches will open on a pod based system (same group of kids stays together with same teachers) to reduce the potential number of contacts.

If there is still a risk in 3 months time we might see primary schools operate similarly like that on a shorter days/extended week basis.

Most schools across Europe will be open before the ones here so we'll have a template as such to see what best fits with our system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

combat14 wrote: »
    No this is a factual article from Bloomberg..
    indicates that we are still in the early days of this virus and need to be sensible and cautious when making practical considerations for reopening schools, borders and the economy

no point burying ones head in the sand

I read the article, there’s a lot of ‘could’ and possibly in their points. It also says it ‘takes longer to test negative’ - when in actual fact some people continue to test positive even after making a full recovery. This has been proven by multiple medical journals, doctors, etc. Would prefer to see the facts on this rather than a political piece by Bloomberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I think there will also be a good case for a homeschooling programme so hopefully that option will be made easily available to parents who don't want to send their kids back or who can't readily manage the logistics.

There is suggestion that preschools/creches will open on a pod based system (same group of kids stays together with same teachers) to reduce the potential number of contacts.

If there is still a risk in 3 months time we might see primary schools operate similarly like that on a shorter days/extended week basis.

Most schools across Europe will be open before the ones here so we'll have a template as such to see what best fits with our system.

I agree with you there on the homeschooling programme. They could be working out online lessons for each level that tick certain boxes of the curriculum and teachers could then focus on the other stuff that’s harder to do from home (if it is indeed a restricted timetable of some kind). It would be easy enough to do from a centralised point of view. The dept of Ed would also need to look into the funding needed to provide the tech to those who don’t have it (as the hse have done). It would be a huge asset to parents of kids who are immunocompromised.

kandr10 wrote: »
    I agree with you there on the homeschooling programme. They could be working out online lessons for each level that tick certain boxes of the curriculum and teachers could then focus on the other stuff that’s harder to do from home (if it is indeed a restricted timetable of some kind). It would be easy enough to do from a centralised point of view. The dept of Ed would also need to look into the funding needed to provide the tech to those who don’t have it (as the hse have done). It would be a huge asset to parents of kids who are immunocompromised.

Yes, it would be great and now that families have had a chance to try it will have become 'the new normal'.

The administration side of it would need a bit of an overhaul to be workable. Currently a lot of red tape around registering to home school so that would need to be streamlined.

At the moment it requires at least a minimum of one home visit to do an assessment so not feasible if a large number of parents decide to remove their children from school based education.

Application, Tusla interviews and registration would need some sort of workaround to be a realistic option.

kandr10 wrote: »
    . The dept of Ed would also need to look into the funding needed to provide the tech to those who don’t have it (as the hse have done). It would be a huge asset to parents of kids who are immunocompromised.

The Dept of Ed recenty released funds for this purpose, for us it works out at about 4 laptops that we could provide to some of our students in need, hopefully it will be topped up in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Ireland could also start swabbed for flu.

So will the dept give all students tech equipment (lap top or similar)so they can be educated at home, assuming of course this reduced school week is the way ahead.

jrosen wrote: »
    Ireland could also start swabbed for flu.

So will the dept give all students tech equipment (lap top or similar)so they can be educated at home, assuming of course this reduced school week is the way ahead.

From what I can see at the moment it is just those in need or entitles to Assitive technology due to a diagnosis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

khalessi wrote: »
    The Dept of Ed recenty released funds for this purpose, for us it works out at about 4 laptops that we could provide to some of our students in need, hopefully it will be topped up in September.

Yeah it’s not a bad start but would need to be ramped up significantly to ensure equality of what’s provided, in the event that homeschooling were to go ahead. I mean it in a more casual sense to actual homeschooling though - I guess distance learning or blended learning more so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement