Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

kandr10 wrote: »
    But can’t they be spread within the school regardless?

Read the review I linked re Sweden (who remained open and never closed schools/creches).

Seems there's really no major risk where children are concerned and no real increase in outbreaks due to schools.

I think we'll probably see more evidence of this as schools reopen across europe, hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,758 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

No, I don’t need my hand held. But some acknowledgement that people are struggling to juggle everything, perhaps some words of encouragemen

Go read a inspirational poem it's as just arbitrary and nonsensical.

Boggles wrote: »
    You are not a base.

Again no one knows what is happening, getting principles or teachers to acknowledge that is as weird as is pointless.

It's a figure of speech "to briefly make or renew contact with someone".

Nothing weird about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

You’ve lost me? What does ‘it’s as just arbitrary and nonsensical’ mean?

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

You’ve lost me? What does ‘it’s as just arbitrary and nonsensical’ mean?

You want the principles of schools to ring all the parents and tell them they are doing a great job?

What's the fúcking point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Birdy

You want the principles of schools to ring all the parents and tell them they are doing a great job?

It's princiPAL.

Where did I say the principals should ring every parent??? That would be ridiculous!

I said the only email was one looking for payments for next year which is months away. I said some acknowledgment of the situation with some leadership being shown would have been nice as to go with the money request. I didn’t lose any sleep over it either by the way, it was simply an observation.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

. I saw a couple of tv polls that indicated 80% of parents were happy to wait til sept and over 70% we’re happy at the rate at which restrictions were being eased.

TV polls? As in, polls done on people who are not working and who watch TV?

I think that sample *might* be biased. ;)

I said some acknowledgment of the situation

To Whom it may concern.

There is a global pandemic, no one knows what is happening.

Kind Regards

The School

This is all a matter of degree. How comparable is saving people with screening programmes to the loss of life from this virus?

I am all for screening programmes, but the number of lives they save is actually pretty low. But when we aren't being threatened by an incurable virus that has no vaccine, the screening programmes do seem worth it.

I just finished 1st year of medical school and wrote my epidemiology exam yesterday. I was personally shocked that breast cancer screening, for example, only saves 1% more women. Meanwhile, cervical cancer screening scares a lot of women because they get an abnormal pap and 95% of those abnormal cell changes will be dealt with by the immune system within 2 years anyway. Of the remaining 5% that have persistent infections, only a few them will ever go on to develop cervical cancer. But we put up with scaring 1000s of women to save a few women. During a pandemic though, how useful is this?

Nevermind that a lot of increased survival statistics are really just lead-time bias.

I'm not talking about screening specifically. From the pharmaceutical supply chain, new incoming patients are down up to 80% in some cancers. That's not just screening, that's patients avoiding going to their GP with symptoms because GPs are reduced hours or because there is a general avoidance of medical centers unless it is virus related at the moment. Or diagnostic tests (like biopsies) are cancelled.

What's going to happen is they will be diagnosed at a later stage, which will be more difficult to treat. The longer that delay for diagnosis, the higher the associated mortality.

• Advertisement

To Whom it may concern.

There is a global pandemic, no one knows what is happening.

Kind Regards

The School

See how easy that was and it only took you a few minutes. Imagine what somebody educated and with an ounce of human decency and manners could manage.

See how easy that was and it only took you a few minutes. Imagine what somebody educated and with an ounce of human decency and manners could manage.

You are demanding someone state the bleeding obvious.

That is next level off the scale plain and simple whinging.

You are demanding someone state the bleeding obvious.

That is next level off the scale plain and simple whinging.

With all due respect that is what you read into my post to suit your own narrative, I never demanded anything.

I never said anybody should tell us what is happening regarding the world wide pandemic from the school. I said the only email we received was a link to pay money and nothing else which jars a little, that is all. Where it fits into 'off the scale whinging' is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

pwurple wrote: »
    TV polls? As in, polls done on people who are not working and who watch TV?

I think that sample *might* be biased. ;)

Eh prime time like. It’s on at 10 at night. I think a lot of working people watch it actually

Oops another edit: sorry it was Claire Byrne live. I always get that mixed up with prime time but the same point applies.

Edited to add: you are right re biasing though. A point I acknowledged in the original post. It’s not conclusive by any means. However I was responding to someone who claims more parents than not are wanting kids back in school. I don’t see how you can back that up other than anecdotally, chatting to your friends or neighbours or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Read the review I linked re Sweden (who remained open and never closed schools/creches).

Seems there's really no major risk where children are concerned and no real increase in outbreaks due to schools.

I think we'll probably see more evidence of this as schools reopen across europe, hopefully.

There wasn’t an outbreak of cases in schools there as there was in France though so it’s not comparable. Even if the cases didn’t originate in the the school, they still shut down the schools as a precaution against further spreading.

With all due respect that is what you read into my post to suit your own narrative, I never demanded anything.

I never said anybody should tell us what is happening regarding the world wide pandemic from the school. I said the only email we received was a link to pay money and nothing else which jars a little, that is all. Where it fits into 'off the scale whinging' is beyond me.

The email you got sent was for a voluntary payment.

You claimed because you got that email and not an acknowledgement of your struggles, that your principal lacks leadership and is detached from family struggles. :rolleyes:

I imagine it was the school secretary that sent the email but even still.

That is whinging for the sake of whinging.

How many times have you rang the principal or teachers out of the blue and praised them?

I'm going to say zero, because complaining about something is far more fun, isn't it?

It's not the teachers fault this has happened and they have no more information than you or me.

They are not firing out work to people because they know people are struggling and they have enough on their plate.

It's optional especially for the younger kids, the way it should be for now.

The email you got sent was for a voluntary payment.

You claimed because you got that email and not an acknowledgement of your struggles, that your principal lacks leadership and is detached from family struggles. :rolleyes:

I imagine it was the school secretary that sent the email but even still.

That is whinging for the sake of whinging.

How many times have you rang the principal or teachers out of the blue and praised them?

I'm going to say zero, because complaining about something is far more fun, isn't it?

It's not the teachers fault this has happened and they have no more information than you or me.

They are not firing out work to people because they know people are struggling and they have enough on their plate.

It's optional especially for the younger kids, the way it should be for now.

I was going to answer each individual point you made about who sent the email, what the payments were for, me not ringing the school, enjoying complaining etc etc but I honestly can't be bothered as you are so obviously triggered and haven't read my previous posts properly anyway. You literally haven't a clue about me or my situation and you've read one thing and your interpretation made you totally over react. Perhaps read a soothing poem that anger will consume you.

as you are so obviously triggered

:pac:
    You literally haven't a clue about me or my situation

Incorrect, you have all stated it.
    Personally for my family we’ve managed well and have used the lockdown to work on weaknesses.

I am delighted to hear ye are doing well. Hopefully one of those weaknesses you are working on is nonsensical whinging.

However I was responding to someone who claims more parents than not are wanting kids back in school. I don’t see how you can back that up other than anecdotally, chatting to your friends or neighbours or whatever.

I get you. I think there are university surveys also, and workplace ones. I've seen workplace surveys where the primary concern working parents have is their children's education, and how to facilitate them getting back on track.

But what parents want is almost incidental to be honest. I mean, the education system is not run by consensus, it's supposed to be best practice (yes of course take that whit a grain of salt).

So, what is BEST for the outcome and education of our children? And how can we achieve that.

:pac:

Incorrect, you have all stated it.

I am delighted to hear ye are doing well. Hopefully one of those weaknesses you are working on is nonsensical whinging.

Glad to see you are going back and reading the posts now at least having not read them the first time. Again you've lost me, what does 'I have all stated it' mean? I assume you think you know everything about me from a couple of posts? That says more about you than me my friend.

• Advertisement

Scotland rolling out back to school plans-

From sky news-

As part of the first phase, Ms Sturgeon said teachers will return to work in June to prepare for schools to open for the new school year after 11 August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Scotland rolling out back to school plans-

From sky news-

As part of the first phase, Ms Sturgeon said teachers will return to work in June to prepare for schools to open for the new school year after 11 August.

So sticking to their normal term dates then except for one week early in August, and teachers have guidelines on what will be required in terms of prep of desks etc. to return to a model of blended learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

I think you are being really unfair not to mention rude to the other poster actually. You are attacking him for nothing. The principal at the secondary school my children attend has to date sent all parents at least six emails basically just keeping in touch and it is much appreciated. I never once thought his emails to me were nonsensical. Rather I saw it as keeping channels of communication open and creating positive relationships.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Mrsmum wrote: »
    I think you are being really unfair not to mention rude to the other poster actually. You are attacking him for nothing. The principal at the secondary school my children attend has to date sent all parents at least six emails basically just keeping in touch and it is much appreciated. I never once thought his emails to me were nonsensical. Rather I saw it as keeping channels of communication open and creating positive relationships.

I actually think its nonsensical. Im in regular contact with my parents re online learning and issues arising from same. But updates re schools reopening / whats going to happen. No because Ive no idea until the dep issues guidelines re same. Now maybe I read it wrong but it seemed to me his issue with the principal was due to the principal not keeping parents informed of what is happening. We are in the middle of a global pandemic schools are closed and we are waiting on guidelines from the dep to reopen. I can image the uproar if any principal emailed the above. It would be seen as extremely condescending and patronising in the extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

lulublue22 wrote: »
    I actually think its nonsensical. Im in regular contact with my parents re online learning and issues arising from same. But updates re schools reopening / whats going to happen. No because Ive no idea until the dep issues guidelines re same. Now maybe I read it wrong but it seemed to me his issue with the principal was due to the principal not keeping parents informed of what is happening. We are in the middle of a global pandemic schools are closed and we are waiting on guidelines from the dep to reopen. I can image the uproar if any principal emailed the above. It would be seen as extremely condescending and patronising in the extreme.

Well what I read was he said the only communication he got from the principal was looking for money. If so, shabby imo. We all understand the announcements regarding school opening etc will be from the Government not a solo run from the school but it is appreciated to feel there is a metaphorical open door policy still between school and parents. It's like a lot of things, no great big deal when it's there but the absence of it is noticed as a negative.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: @Boggles - 24 hours away from the thread to work on your own weaknesses (smartarsery).

Antibody study in the UK shows from the sample that 1 in 5 have already had the virus.

I wonder if it's the same here in built up areas?

I know they are rolling out a similar study here soon based on a sample of the population. Hopefully good news will come out of it and will green light more easing of restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

School in September, who knows what the reality of that will be. Depends on progress with virus suppression I guess. Presume social distancing will still be a reality.

Summer courses for students who were already in receipt of supports in DEIS schools. This already happened each summer in a lot of DEIS schools, you were either already involved or it doesn't concern you. This will not impact the majority of teachers.

That's about it. September and, most likely, a new reality.

From a logistical and contractual point of view, a mid-summer opening could have been very difficult and would, like the proposed July classes, have depended on teachers being willing to volunteer.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/minister-outlines-task-to-reopen-schools-in-time-for-september-1.4258602

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

Antibody study in the UK shows from the sample that 1 in 5 have already had the virus.

I wonder if it's the same here in built up areas?

I know they are rolling out a similar study here soon based on a sample of the population. Hopefully good news will come out of it and will green light more easing of restrictions.

Philip Nolan just said that as low as 1% could have had the virus in Ireland. He puts the maximum at 5%.

To use his exact words 'there is no immunity' if the virus starts to spread again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

The UK study says 17% antibodies in London, and around 5% elsewhere. Far from 1 in 5.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement