Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

So realistically your child will be in school 6 days (at most) between then and the end of June. As you said the risk v reward is way too loaded on the risk side to make this in anyway the right thing to do. It will be also be of practically no benefit to your child's education.

I disagree with that. I think it would be of significant educational benefit. I am not a primary school teacher, and there's a good reason why you have to go to university for four years to become one. For something as simple as teaching my child how to write the cursive letter j there are a number of steps that have to be gone through. There's pencil control, there's a song, there's a letter formation rhyme, there's a direction the stroke on the page must go, there's making the letter out of playdough, there's practicing it on a whiteboard, and that's just a teeny tiny part of what they learn each week. There's only so much guidance that can be uploaded onto apps before both parent and child become overwhelmed. Even if the four hours in school provides them with some structure, some overview of what they need to practice that week, that would be of enormous benefit to them - and to me as their teacher for the foreseeable.

10 kids in a classroom one a day a week for four to six weeks is the absolute minimum we could ask schools to do, with the alternative being that we keep schools closed until September. I know that my kids would benefit enormously from those four days - even if it is only to wear their uniform, see some of their friends and do a small amount of work with their teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

JDD wrote: »
    I disagree with that. I think it would be of significant educational benefit. I am not a primary school teacher, and there's a good reason why you have to go to university for four years to become one. For something as simple as teaching my child how to write the cursive letter j there are a number of steps that have to be gone through. There's pencil control, there's a song, there's a letter formation rhyme, there's a direction the stroke on the page must go, there's making the letter out of playdough, there's practicing it on a whiteboard, and that's just a teeny tiny part of what they learn each week. There's only so much guidance that can be uploaded onto apps before both parent and child become overwhelmed. Even if the four hours in school provides them with some structure, some overview of what they need to practice that week, that would be of enormous benefit to them - and to me as their teacher for the foreseeable.

10 kids in a classroom one a day a week for four to six weeks is the absolute minimum we could ask schools to do, with the alternative being that we keep schools closed until September. I know that my kids would benefit enormously from those four days - even if it is only to wear their uniform, see some of their friends and do a small amount of work with their teacher.

In most Irish primary schools it is impossible to fit 10 students in the room and adhere to social distancing regualtions.

Boggles wrote: »
    Like I said we have heard words like "hope" and "aspire" for the past 5-6 weeks.

They are no where near the required level of testing or method of testing to open up any sustained gathering safely.

Like he said last night, the more they open things up, the more the virus will spread, the more services will be stretched.

So looking at where we are now (complete lockdown) and trying to apply to 4 weeks away is impossible.

It will take 2-4 weeks to realize if any openings have gone "bad" as is.

Opening up the likes of schools without the data or ability to test would be wreckless in the extreme.

Get the systems setup, then talk about opening.

False hope or off the cuff opinions leads to complacency, which leads to deaths.

I know, they won't be opening IMO
    Augeo wrote: »
    He also said he's hoping it will be further ramped up by May 05th.
    Opening schools won't happen in the initial easing, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

In most Irish primary schools it is impossible to fit 10 students in the room and adhere to social distancing regualtions.

I think we have to accept that social distancing with young kids simply won't happen. While you can spread the desks out, they will end up hugging a classmate, or coughing onto a shared table, or not washing their hands properly. It's the keeping it to 10 kids a day per classroom, and restricting the days, that will minimize the risk of infections spreading. However we can only minimize the risk so much, and that has to be accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

mloc123 wrote: »
    Most already are already in that boat... unlike teachers, who are on paid time off now for 6 weeks already.

We've not been off but you already know that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,848 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

JDD wrote: »
    I think we have to accept that social distancing with young kids simply won't happen.

If it can't happen, it shouldn't be done. It's that simple.

Anyway a whole heap of things need to be put in place before we even contemplate reopening schools for all age groups, even limited openings.

Actually understanding the virus being the main one.

Japan opened early, now their emergency medical systems has failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

I was starting to have a begrudging respect for Harris and Varadkar. That’s no longer the case since these kite flying stunts.

They are willing to undo all the hardship of isolation and cocooning simply to get the equivalent of a few likes.

If I was a teacher I would be really pissed at being asked to supervise a load of socially immature kids who really can’t be expected to understand the concepts of distancing in the context of the classroom. Never mind 60 odd teachers in a staff room.

It’s a completely dumb idea with zero thought as Varadkar made clear last night when he expressed his hope that principals would devise clever ways to adhere to physical distancing. It’s simply not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Glorified child minding if that is the plan they are going with.

That’s exactly what it is. Not glorified either. Just get some exasperated parents on side for getting the kids out of the house for a few hours. Might as well send them to an early summer camp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

The real question is how will people head back to work if there are no schools, creches, preschools open? No option for family/grandparent childcare either.

Childcare and education are a huge part of the economy and shouldn't be underestimated, front line healthcare workers and essential workers already struggling with this aspect at the moment.

The economy can't hope to restart if anyone who has young kids can't return to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,848 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

That’s exactly what it is. Not glorified either. Just get some exasperated parents on side for getting the kids out of the house for a few hours. Might as well send them to an early summer camp.

Nail on the head for certainly I few I know, they have it in their heads the children will be going back to school soon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

As a parent the only real reason I send my child to school is for social interaction. He's seven, it's not so hard to help him learn everything he needs to know at his age and then some. But he's an only child and the only child in the extended family he sees regularly. School is important for him to learn social norms, to be around people who don't put him first all the time like family can't help but do. In terms of his overall health I believe that complete lack of peer interaction is potentially far more damaging for him than the virus could ever be. And while obviously the bigger risk has always been children as a vector rather than a victim, the evidence is pointing more and more to children not being a significant vector of Covid 19.

I'd be more than happy to send my son back to school one day a week to spend time with friends. But I'm not sure if the photos I've seen of the distancing happening in schools in Denmark is in the best interests of children's emotional health. I don't honestly know what kids are going to get out of it. It seems like a type of torture to have children sitting at a distance from other kids when they have been isolated for the previous 2 months. The educational benefit in those circumstances would be extremely limited for young children. And it's not going to provide anything significant in terms of childcare. The benefits of some sort of socially distanced schooling for Leaving Cert students are obvious, educationally and emotionally. But for everyone else, the type of return being mooted seems like a stunt rather than something of real benefit to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Scruff101

Would it not be possible for schools to open in July/August? Why the focus on May/June?

I get that July and August should be holiday time but these are unprecedented times. I'd feel more comfortable with that rather than rushing them back in May/June.

Scruff101 wrote: »
    Would it not be possible for schools to open in July/August? Why the focus on May/June?

I get that July and August should be holiday time but these are unprecedented times. I'd feel more comfortable with that rather than rushing them back in May/June.

That's a very decent suggestion.
    However teachers have been working all during the lockdown. I can't imagine them working their holidays also.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Birdy

No the plan seems to be a reopening on May 11th like France for 8 weeks. Each child doing 8 days of school and the rest of their work at home.

Teachers will have Fridays for planning next year; reports/booklists/calendar/SEN/graduation etc.

Have Communions been cancelled yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Murple

Birdy wrote: »
    No the plan seems to be a reopening on May 11th like France for 8 weeks. Each child doing 8 days of school and the rest of their work at home.

Teachers will have Fridays for planning next year; reports/booklists/calendar/SEN/graduation etc.

Where did you see that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,421 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Where have you seen this information?

Communion and confirmation stuff comes from the church. Not decided by the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

I've spoken to several other parents today about this issue. None will be sending their kids back to school this side of September so I think Leo's kite will have to be brought back home if that's the general consensus across the nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭uli84

BanditLuke wrote: »
    I've spoken to several other parents today about this issue. None will be sending their kids back to school this side of September so I think Leo's kite will have to be brought back home if that's the general consensus across the nation.

I’ve spoken to several parents and all will be sending if re-opened.

uli84 wrote: »
    I’ve spoken to several parents and all will be sending if re-opened.

Even if their child is at risk? Which they will be in a school where social distancing can't realistically happen and shared toilets etc. That's sad.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭trapp

BanditLuke wrote: »

I understand your concern but you are ignoring reality my poor friend.

This virus isn't going anywhere before September.

We can't keep living like this for 2 years, the kids can't be put through this for another two years.

Getting each child back into school, even for a day a week each through June would be great.

If some parents choose not to attend that's their choice but the reality is anyone waiting for zero risk regarding the coronavirus will be homeschooling for the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Hilarious. This guy thinks just 6 days after the country was in total lockdown (as much as possible) that primary schools are going to open. Classic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭uli84

I am not in a position to homeschool my kid, honestly like, what am I supposed to do? He’s in the first class.

Even if their child is at risk? Which they will be in a school where social distancing can't realistically happen and shared toilets etc. That's sad.

I spoke to a parent today who feels there are more risks to keeping their child at home indefinitely.

The child hasn't seen his friends or teacher since early March.

The sports he plays have all been shut down and remain so.

He has become anxious, tempermental and withdrawn spending hours on computer games.

The parent is genuinely sad for their child.

In case you haven't noticed my poor friend the virus does not cause any serious health issues in children.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Scruff101

Augeo wrote: »
    That's a very decent suggestion.
    However teachers have been working all during the lockdown. I can't imagine them working their holidays also.

I know several teachers none have been doing full days five days a week since the start of March. If secondary teachers can go back in July why not primary too.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

Hilarious. This guy thinks just 6 days after the country was in total lockdown (as much as possible) that primary schools are going to open. Classic!

Why not? This is the approach several eu countries are taking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Source ?

I know several teachers none have been doing full days five days a week since the start of March. If secondary teachers can go back in July why not primary too.

And the majority of teachers would gladly go back in July.

They might be outshouted by the more vocal minority however

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

How does it balance out as I know several who have been flat out teaching online since March

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Opening the schools for the kids to go one day a week for 6 or 8 weeks has no benefit whatsoever; parents can't return to work as normal, since they've to be home the other 4.5 days the kids aren't in school (bear in mind primary school finishes either side of lunchtime), and will only increase the risk of a second wave occuring thus undoing most of the benefit of the last few weeks. Not a hope in hell the kids will not be all over each other, especially the under 8s or so who can't even remember to wash their hands after going to the toilet at the best of times, never mind after touching any door-handle etc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement