Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭johnmc2020

But they are teaching my dear....

Jesus poor Starbaby, I genuinely feel for you....you have one serious chip on your shoulders. You must have had an awful experience somewhere along the lines at school.... maybe a spot of counseling might help? It’s not the same these days...it’s a lovely positive place to be....

Do you know, you can always up skill if you think teachers have such a great thing going? Here’s the application form for a higher diploma in primary education:https://hiberniacollege.com/start-yo...ication-

You not in a union? No problem. You can join one. Here......https://www.ictu.ie/joinaunion/

God bless you pet, stay well x

This is pathetic.. and a bit worrying considering you're a teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

But they are teaching my dear....

Jesus poor Starbaby, I genuinely feel for you....you have one serious chip on your shoulders. You must have had an awful experience somewhere along the lines at school.... maybe a spot of counseling might help? It’s not the same these days...it’s a lovely positive place to be....

Do you know, you can always up skill if you think teachers have such a great thing going? Here’s the application form for a higher diploma in primary education:https://hiberniacollege.com/start-yo...ication-

You not in a union? No problem. You can join one. Here......https://www.ictu.ie/joinaunion/

God bless you pet, stay well x

There's no higher diploma in primary education. You clearly did one with Hibernia when it existed, you give the profession a bad name and are a shining star in why people think Hibernia is useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Greensoup wrote: »
    Where is the school? Primary or Secondary?

Its primary and id rather not say the school or location.

There has been an update this evening on the school site with an edmodo link. Ive read through it and quite relieved. Was beginning to think the students were being forgotten.
    Our secondary school was slow to start but they are trying and working through the kinks.

Im sure there are parents who have a chip on their shoulder with teachers but there equally are parents who just want to know that behind the scenes someone is trying to deliver some level of education with their child.
    This isn't easy for anyone. Everyone is trying to find their way but surely the more we can keep kids going now the better in the long term.

I hope the department find the means to get additional supports when schools do return. Its going to be really difficult for both students and teachers .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

You should also consider, if it is a significant difference between teachers within a single school, that perhaps the teacher has been sick. I personally know several teachers who are very ill with covid19, some in hospital. Contact the school if still unhappy this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Just voluntary ones? Certainly not happening in the majority of ETB schools.

ETB

• Advertisement

Surely it’s best to just leave the schools closed for the term at this point? Too big a risk vs little reward to bring them all back for a few final weeks.

Just get the exam years done if possible.

Open as normal on September. At that point we’ll have to rock on, Covid or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Yes I am a teacher. A very hard working and dedicated one, who cares deeply about my students and my job. I am often first in to school in the morning and leave well after my colleagues. I regularly neglect family time with my own children to plough through reams of corrections and planning.

No I did not receive my ‘H Dip’ from Hibernia, but thank you for asking Higgins. But I do know many genuine, high quality, hard working teachers who have gone through there because due to family circumstances could not attend other colleges. Their qualifications are no less worthy.

The level of unchecked and unabated teacher bashing on Boards is awful. Yet speak up and you’re criticized. It is extremely distressing to come on to boards daily and see armchair critics, with no understanding of teaching or classroom dynamics offering impractical solutions and berate the hard work of my partner, friends and colleagues, who have found themselves in this situation, through no fault of their own and have worked extremely hard at ‘adapting’.

These are unprecedented times. Many are doing the very best they can in the circumstances they are in. There is no road map. Yet you will never please some.

The original question posed on this fourm was, ‘Will schools be able to reopen in September’. Wouldn’t it be nice for a change if people could offer positive, constructive, on topic ideas from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Yes I am a teacher. A very hard working and dedicated one, who cares deeply about my students and my job. I am often first in to school in the morning and leave well after my colleagues. I regularly neglect family time with my own children to plough through reams of corrections and planning.

No I did not receive my ‘H Dip’ from Hibernia, but thank you for asking Higgins. But I do know many genuine, high quality, hard working teachers who have gone through there because due to family circumstances could not attend other colleges. Their qualifications are no less worthy.

The level of unchecked and unabated teacher bashing on Boards is awful. Yet speak up and you’re criticized. It is extremely distressing to come on to boards daily and see armchair critics, with no understanding of teaching or classroom dynamics offering impractical solutions and berate the hard work of my partner, friends and colleagues, who have found themselves in this situation, through no fault of their own and have worked extremely hard at ‘adapting’.

These are unprecedented times. Many are doing the very best they can in the circumstances they are in. There is no road map. Yet you will never please some.

The original question posed on this fourm was, ‘Will schools be able to reopen in September’. Wouldn’t it be nice for a change if people could offer positive, constructive, on topic ideas from now on.

Why cant sixth years for example continue to be taught and put them in a sports hall , or somewhere a decent distance can be maintained?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Why cant sixth years for example continue to be taught and put them in a sports hall , or somewhere a decent distance can be maintained?

Shared toilet facilities etc means an infected person could infect others as we still don't have same-day testing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Some interesting statistics emerging out of the UK today regarding remote learning in schools. Turns out two thirds of children have failed to log in for remote lessons since the lockdown began.

Two thirds of children have not taken part in online lessons during lockdown, study finds

Really doesn't sound like a workable solution long-term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Some interesting statistics emerging out of the UK today regarding remote learning in schools. Turns out two thirds of children have failed to log in for remote lessons since the lockdown began.

Two thirds of children have not taken part in online lessons during lockdown, study finds

I am sitting here since 8am and one child has logged in

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

There are a number of reasons for this. Especially with younger children who need parental support with work. A lot of parents are working from home. They are genuinely having to get up, spend 4 hours at their computer and phone, make some lunch and then get back to work for another 4 hours. They don't have the freedom to support their children's schooling.

And there is the other 'thing.' We're in the middle of a viral pandemic, plenty of people are actually sick. I had a lot of projects planned to do with my seven year old. But from March 18th to April 4th I had a mystery respiratory illness where I struggled to breath whenever I did anything. A few days after I seemed to recover I developed pleurisy of the right lung. Our home schooling has so far consisted on RTE homeschool hub, some board game playing, some educational tv/historical fiction movies that we chat about after. "Book club" where we sit in the garden and read as my son can thankfully read whole books like Wrenly/Diary of a Wimpy Kid/The Treehouse books. Or if something numerical comes up in conversation I'll phrase it in a way that to make him work it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I would imagine the kids who dont engage in class will he same ones who wont engage now.

jrosen wrote: »
    I would imagine the kids who dont engage in class will he same ones who wont engage now.

Engagement will vary but I'm at 20-40% Some students who would normally be quite good haven't engaged either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭leex

"Galway school decides against Junior Cert participation this year."

Makes sense to be honest. Start fresh in Sept to TY or 5th year.

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭brookers

iguana wrote: »
    There are a number of reasons for this. Especially with younger children who need parental support with work. A lot of parents are working from home. They are genuinely having to get up, spend 4 hours at their computer and phone, make some lunch and then get back to work for another 4 hours. They don't have the freedom to support their children's schooling.

And there is the other 'thing.' We're in the middle of a viral pandemic, plenty of people are actually sick. I had a lot of projects planned to do with my seven year old. But from March 18th to April 4th I had a mystery respiratory illness where I struggled to breath whenever I did anything. A few days after I seemed to recover I developed pleurisy of the right lung. Our home schooling has so far consisted on RTE homeschool hub, some board game playing, some educational tv/historical fiction movies that we chat about after. "Book club" where we sit in the garden and read as my son can thankfully read whole books like Wrenly/Diary of a Wimpy Kid/The Treehouse books. Or if something numerical comes up in conversation I'll phrase it in a way that to make him work it out.

Well done, your children will have a great education with parents like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

There's no higher diploma in primary education. You clearly did one with Hibernia when it existed, you give the profession a bad name and are a shining star in why people think Hibernia is useless.

Speaking from experience of co-workers there is huge drop in teaching quality when you compare Mary I/Pats etc with people who completed Hibernia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

If they don't have enough data, they won't log in!
    If parents are at home working their data needs will take precedence

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Speaking from experience of co-workers there is huge drop in teaching quality when you compare Mary I/Pats etc with people who completed Hibernia.

Not the place or time to be trying to start that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

The problem lies entirely with entry requirements. Hibernia’s is essentially have met the minimum requirement and do you have €12k or whatever it’s at now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

If they don't have enough data, they won't log in!
    If parents are at home working their data needs will take precedence

If the issue is data caps, the ISPs (Internet service providers) have told government that they’ll move people to uncapped / high cap plans without extra costs.

Contact your ISPs

If you’re on a low bandwidth connection, consider looking at your options. Two households I know were on ADSL2, old style telephone exchange based broadband, when both fibre to kerb and cable internet were available with way better bandwidth.

In some cases you might be struck with low bandwidth due to older local infrastructure or remoteness, but look at all options, including wireless.

You’d be surprised at how little attention some people pay to their internet service. We, being on online forums, are generally far more aware of technicalities of internet connections than your average punter and you’ll get households that just use the web, perhaps discouraged the use of streaming as they thought it was a distraction etc etc or just paid no attention and haven’t moved off adsl.

You’ve also people who’ve just not shopped around in many years or who are unaware of FTTC, Siro or improved rural wireless services being available.

Try to support your less tech savvy family, friends and colleagues with some of this stuff. We take a lot of knowledge for granted and if you’re not techie some of this stuff is utter jargon and tech gobeldygook.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Do people think that the suggestion that schools could reopen before the Summer for 1 day a week etc are just kite-flying to gauge reaction ?

We have 2 Kids - 1 each in Secondary and Primary. Neither in a crucial academic year. Good communication from both schools online with lots of schoolwork issued and individual teachers available on email etc.

Had accepted that the Kids would not return until September and that is our preference. Completely fail to see the point of bringing back Primary age Kids ahead of the Summer and expecting them to social distance and maintain sufficient hand hygiene etc.
    Do it properly and use the Summer to have proper plans and systems in place.
    Also if they do decide to do it in June, hope that it is not compulsory.

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Do people think that the suggestion that schools could reopen before the Summer for 1 day a week etc are just kite-flying to gauge reaction ?

We have 2 Kids - 1 each in Secondary and Primary. Neither in a crucial academic year. Good communication from both schools online with lots of schoolwork issues and individual teachers available on email etc.

Had accepted that the Kids would not return until September and that is our preference. Completely fail to see the point of bringing back Primary age Kids ahead of the Summer and expecting them to social distance and maintain sufficient hand hygiene etc.
    Do it properly and use the Summer to have proper plans and systems in place.
    Also if they do decide to do it in June, hope that it is not compulsory.

People can make up their own minds I guess. We have daughter at primary school and we're not sending her back until September. Assume they'll have some idea how to organise things properly by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,941 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Some more info on the theory that children are not a significant vector in spreading Covid-19. If this proves true, it may have an impact on when and how schools can reopen.
    A nine-year-old boy who contracted Covid-19 in Eastern France did not pass the virus on despite coming into contact with more than 170 people, according to research that suggests children may not be major spreaders of the virus.

[...]

The researchers believe that since children typically have only mild symptoms, they may transmit the virus far less than infected adults. “Children might not be an important source of transmissions of this novel virus,” they write.

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/21/boy-with-covid-19-did-not-transmit-disease-to-more-than-170-contacts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

According to rte news the junior cert exams are cancelled for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Some more info on the theory that children are not a significant vector in spreading Covid-19. If this proves true, it may have an impact on when and how schools can reopen.
    I expect we'll have an answer on this before the new school year, it shouldn't be hard to figure out from the cluster data that we have. New Zealand has already made their decision - https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12326496

This is not influenza. We know kids spread influenza. It's not clear at all that they spread Covid, and many scientists believe they don't.

Schools need to plan for opening in some way or form, because if the answer is that kids do spread the disease we need to find a way to live with this virus for potentially a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,241 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

ZX7R wrote: »

What's that sound?

3rd years putting every book away and going to the back garden for summer holidays!

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

ZX7R wrote: »

That article doesn’t say they are cancelled. They said they are sending them to the schools and it’s up to us how to correct them. No clarity on whether we have to actually do it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

That article doesn’t say they are cancelled. They said they are sending them to the schools and it’s up to us how to correct them. No clarity on whether we have to actually do it

The exam paper can be used for school tests
    The junior cert is cancelled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

According to Gavin Reilly of the Irish Times Primary Schools will reopen for the full week with something along the lines of:

Monday: Junior/Senior Infants
    Tuesday: 1st/2nd class

And so on....

All teachers will be there and kids will be divided up among them with around 7:1 ratio.

He never mentioned when this would happen but I presume mid to late May.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1252627285036974080

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement