Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

According to Gavin Reilly of the Irish Times Primary Schools will reopen for the full week with something along the lines of:

Monday: Junior/Senior Infants
    Tuesday: 1st/2nd class

And so on....

All teachers will be there and kids will be divided up among them with around 7:1 ratio.

He never mentioned when this would happen but I presume mid to late May.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1252627285036974080

We'll be giving that a miss anyway for the sake of 4-5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,241 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

ZX7R wrote: »
    The exam paper can be used for school tests
    The junior cert is cancelled.

Does it burn well? Could be used as kindling for fire

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

I'm sure they'll think all this through but if teachers are going to be minding 7 students at a time and still supporting others online, time for prep is greatly reduced as they'll spend the day watching/teaching tiny groups while others sit at home expecting online instructions too.

Would want to be organised very carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,241 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I'm sure they'll think all this through but if teachers are going to be minding 7 students at a time and still supporting others online, time for prep is greatly reduced as they'll spend the day watching/teaching tiny groups while others sit at home expecting online instructions too.

Would want to be organised very carefully.

It would be one or the other I'd say

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I was interested in this post but the pathetic snide comments by SnowyMwhatever gave made my interest fade.

That's a shoulder that should be checked for chips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Exactly.

For example primary school students on Google Classroom currently have teacher contact for 5 days by remote learning.

If the teacher goes into school for this scenario that is replaced with the student having 1 day teacher availability face to face.

So options are:

1. 5 days remote learning with teacher contact
    2. 1 day face to face learning with teacher contact

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

SusanC10 wrote: »
    We'll be giving that a miss anyway for the sake of 4-5 days.

Good call in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭bdmc5

Worried for teachers and pupils health if this talk of going back mid may is true and we are still experiencing Hundreds of new cases and 30 to 40 people dying daily.

My wife is a primary school and while I’m working full time. We were in the fortunate position pre C19 that we had grandparents minding our toddler but that will be out of the question if my wife goes back to school And with crèches closed I don’t know what we’ll do for childcare. Serious possibility my wife or 1 will either unpaid leave in this scenario. I imagine a lot teachers may Have to take unpaid leave either due to childcare issues or concerns around health and infection

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭combat14

serious talk in etbs of schools & students returning early may ..

also tonight minister for education:
    Leaving Cert could 'potentially' start 29 July says Education Minister

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0421/1132983-leaving-cert-possible-date/

so looks like all teachers in for 13 July to assist with leaving cert too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

combat14 wrote: »

What is etbs?

• Advertisement

education and training boards

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭brookers

If you didnt want to send your children back, even for one day a week because you felt it was unsafe, would you have that option. I personally feel that May is far too soon and I can completely understand how difficult it must be for working parents to do home schooling and work at the same time but that cant be a reason for putting pressure on schools to reopen.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Birdy

According to Gavin Reilly of the Irish Times Primary Schools will reopen for the full week with something along the lines of:

And so on....

All teachers will be there and kids will be divided up among them with around 7:1 ratio.

That would be very messy. Teachers wouldn't know the needs of the kids.
    It would make more sense to have a quarter of each class in every day with their own teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Murple

And so on....

I can't see that working. Children, especially the younger ones, want to go back in to their own teacher not someone they hardly know. Parents will want their child going to a teacher who knows them especially in such strange circumstances. It could also lead to a situation where one family has children attending on several different days and will have to mind the other children while working from home and arranging drop off and collection of the child in school.
    On a small practical note, imagine Junior Infant children using 6th class tables and chairs and vice versa!
    Going back to school should be to provide children with some normality, reassurance and comfort. The system suggested above wouldn't serve that purpose at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

bdmc5 wrote: »
    Worried for teachers and pupils health if this talk of going back mid may is true and we are still experiencing Hundreds of new cases and 30 to 40 people dying daily.

My wife is a primary school and while I’m working full time. We were in the fortunate position pre C19 that we had grandparents minding our toddler but that will be out of the question if my wife goes back to school And with crèches closed I don’t know what we’ll do for childcare. Serious possibility my wife or 1 will either unpaid leave in this scenario. I imagine a lot teachers may Have to take unpaid leave either due to childcare issues or concerns around health and infection

Parents will not allow their children to return anyway. The risk will have to be very low before anyone listens. It not the end of the world to wait till after the summer. Most important right now is keeping the economy in good shape and dealing with that problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Murple wrote: »
    Going back to school should be to provide children with some normality, reassurance and comfort. The system suggested above wouldn't serve that purpose at all.

And 6th using junior infant chairs

Interesting times

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

I don't think you'd get courses covered if you see each year group a day, or two, a week. They will have to be issued work to follow online to have completed for when you'd see them again.

I didn't see any of the Politicians on RTE/TV3 last night.
    Was there any further indication on schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

combat14 wrote: »

Which ETBs? I know the one I'm working in is working on the assumption that there'll be no teachers/students back til July

LOETB working on assumption schools open in May

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

Not great that they're (ETBs) all doing different things, that being said there's so much unknown they're probably trying to put contingencies in place as much as is practicable. We've been told to hold department meetings about how to assess our students instead of the usual in-school end of term tests.

I wonder what makes LOETB think schools will be back before the end of May? They're not going to work on that assumption based purely on offhand remarks from Simon Harris and media speculation surely?

bdmc5 wrote: »

Most couples will be in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭d1980

While I understand people’s concerns about one day a week from some point in May, Sept is likely to be as challenging. Would it not be a good test case to see the impact of opening the schools, with the benefit of being able to close the schools in July and August to plan again for the new year. We will need to be creative over the coming months to achieve some bit of normality.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,683 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

d1980 wrote: »
    While I understand people’s concerns about one day a week from some point in May, Sept is likely to be as challenging. Would it not be a good test case to see the impact of opening the schools, with the benefit of being able to close the schools in July and August to plan again for the new year. We will need to be creative over the coming months to achieve some bit of normality.

Making kids, teachers and associated staff Guinea Pigs is pretty wreckless.

Leo admitted last night as they all have they don't have the capacity to start opening anything really which involves sustained contact.

Once testing and contact tracing becomes reality and just not aspirational nonsense, then and only then can they think about opening up the likes of schools.

The populous are not stupid, they are watching closely and just because the governance or HSE are saying it's grand to do this, that does not mean people will do it.

It was grand to visit your Granny in a nursing home not so long ago.

Boggles wrote: »
    Making kids, teachers and associated staff Guinea Pigs is pretty wreckless.

Leo admitted last night as they all have they don't have the capacity to start opening anything really which involves sustained contact.

Once testing and contact tracing becomes reality and just not aspirational nonsense, then and only then can they think about opening up the likes of schools.

The populous are not stupid, they are watching closely and just because the governance or HSE are saying it's grand to do this, that does not mean people will do it.

It was grand to visit your Granny in a nursing home not so long ago.

Agree 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

There is a lot of misdirection coming from the govt and media. Its going to bite them in the end.

There isn't really..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

Do you think they might follow Denmark?
    In classrooms, each desk is at least 2m apart. A maximum of 10 children is permitted in each class. All school rooms – such as the sports hall – are being used as teaching areas. Children can only play with a limited number of others during breaktime. Sharing of lunch is not allowed. There is handwashing every hour or so. And the drop-off and collection of children takes place at intervals.

From the Irish Times.

I can't see it happening in primary schools in May, but I could certainly see it in June.

JDD wrote: »
    Do you think they might follow Denmark?

From the Irish Times.

I can't see it happening in primary schools in May, but I could certainly see it in June.

could happen in some rural schools with 10 pupils per class but it's just not remotely feasible in city schools..

our kid's school has 3 classes of 30 for every single age group.. there is no spare space anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

lawred2 wrote: »
    could happen in some rural schools with 10 pupils per class but it's just not remotely feasible in city schools..

our kid's school has 3 classes of 30 for every single age group.. there is no spare space anywhere

Our school is similar enough. Three classes of about 25 for each year group up to 6th class. There is a large sports hall, and a library, both of which could be adapted. But the schools wouldn't have enough teachers to cover say, eight junior infants classes instead of three, for five days a week.

It would certainly work if classes were only for two days a week. While I think that should be done, I don't think it resolves anything from an economic front. After schools and creches won't open without the same rules being applied to them, and nobody is going to pay a full fee for a two day a week service. And clearly parents will have to be at home for the days schools aren't open.

But putting the economic aspect aside, I would like them to open the schools one day a week in June. I have two primary age children, and they are missing everything about school. Their teachers, their friends, the structure, everything. Even four days open in June to finish out their school year would be better than nothing. It won't make a blind bit of difference to me, I have a three year old who will still need minding and I will have to WFH anyway, but for the kids sake I want it to happen.

• Advertisement

JDD wrote: »
    Our school is similar enough. Three classes of about 25 for each year group up to 6th class. There is a large sports hall, and a library, both of which could be adapted. But the schools wouldn't have enough teachers to cover say, eight junior infants classes instead of three, for five days a week.

It would certainly work if classes were only for two days a week. While I think that should be done, I don't think it resolves anything from an economic front. After schools and creches won't open without the same rules being applied to them, and nobody is going to pay a full fee for a two day a week service. And clearly parents will have to be at home for the days schools aren't open.

But putting the economic aspect aside, I would like them to open the schools one day a week in June. I have two primary age children, and they are missing everything about school. Their teachers, their friends, the structure, everything. Even four days open in June to finish out their school year would be better than nothing. It won't make a blind bit of difference to me, I have a three year old who will still need minding and I will have to WFH anyway, but for the kids sake I want it to happen.

actually yeah - having the kids in for a day or two a week and use all available classrooms could work

Teachers would have to adapt to all age groups all the same

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement