Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Worldometers
    A study by the University of Bonn has tested a randomized sample of 1,000 residents of the town of Gangelt (an epicenter of the outbreak in Germany) and found that 2% of the population was currently infected and 14% were carrying antibodies suggesting that they had already been infected — whether or not they experienced any symptoms. Eliminating an overlap between the two groups, the team concluded that 15% of the town have been infected with the virus [source]

If these findings are correct, Germany’s actual death rate could be as low as 0.22% (2,607 deaths / (2,607 cases that have resulted in death + 1,172,000 cases that have resulted in recovery)). Assuming 14% of the German population of 83,700,000 (1,172,000 people) have been infected and have recovered.

This is interesting because it pretty much disproves the theory that coronavirus has been pandemic in Europe for months. If 1 out of the 7 people are currently infected, it would make it incredibly unlikely that coronavirus has been circulating in europe long before late february/March

I think that the statements are a bit bold, I'm sure the figure of 15% infection rate will vary very very widely depending on the cities and towns in question. Particularly given that this is an epicentre town then youd think figures would be lower elsewhere. A mortality rate of 0.2% only holds true if nobody else in Germany dies, which of course wont be the case

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Unproven as of yet. There was talk of a correlation but different countries have had different bcg programs. The UK had a program so you'd think their numbers would be down.

The only thing proven to work so far is a substantial lockdown. The UK have discovered that a bit late.

Um the republic have a program too, I got it as a baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Its good for 10 to 20 years depending on the research you read, with 15 apparently the most agreed on figure, not knowing your age can't say.

Would 15 be the average or the median?

Asking for a friend...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Those symptoms could have been a hundred different things.

Flu like symptoms with breathing difficulties, very likely it was the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Wombatman wrote: »
    If we can complete 3500 tests per day and have a positivity rate of 13% our new case per day ceiling is 455.

Maybe we should be seeing this growth (graph below - very nice DaCor thanks) but we never will because we can only produce a limited number of positives a day.

We really have no idea where we stand right now as far as curve flatting is concerned.
    Under the new definitions today testing, we we're picking up 15% positive rate. If we had 480 cases confirmed in Ireland for today, that would mean 3,200 tests done.

We can see the curve flattening by looking at the hospitalisation curve.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 Chosenwan

fritzelly wrote: »
    The app is literally something any competent programmer could code up in a few days - was first talked about weeks ago and said to be ready within a week or so...

They could have easily licensed the S Korean software - something that just works and damn well

Also didn't need consent - they could have added anonymous data showing confirmed cases in your area within a hundred meters or so - you know with the intention of alerting people that there are confirmed cases nearby so be extra careful when out in public

Isn't apple and.google cooperating on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Asking for a friend...

haha still giggling with some outliers it has lasted up to 60years...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Flu like symptoms with breathing difficulties, very likely it was the virus.

You said they tested negative so I would say it was very likely it was not the virus. unless you know more than the prevailing medical opinion that you are not sharing?

I'm not sure if there are clinical trials within Ireland related to covid 19.

Clinical trails are starting in St Vincent's University Hospital in Dublin and University Hospital Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Chosenwan wrote: »
    Isn't apple and.google cooperating on it?

By the time it's ready it will all be over
    It need not be anything more than an heat map - plenty of companies out there have code to do it. You just need to enter the numbers - it's really simple stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

The app is literally something any competent programmer could code up in a few days - was first talked about weeks ago and said to be ready within a week or so...

They could have easily licensed the S Korean software - something that just works and damn well

Also didn't need consent - they could have added anonymous data showing confirmed cases in your area within a hundred meters or so - you know with the intention of alerting people that there are confirmed cases nearby so be extra careful when out in public

I thought the idea of this software was that they could backtrack a few days and tell you if a known case was close to you, at the time they were probably shedding virus.

wakka12 wrote: »
    New York has an unbelievably high positive testing rate

Of the 418,000 tests performed 172,000 were positive . 41% positive. I cant think of any country in the world that has anywhere close to level of tests returning positve

EDIT. Okay actually Spain is higher at 44% positive ...and France not that far behind at 37% positive

UK are testing at 42% positive on daily tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MipMap

Asking for a friend...

Is your friend George Lee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Feck. Somebody I went to primary school with who is living in the UK has coronavirus. Late 30s. In a coma. No underlying condition. Was in a public-facing job. I’m really shocked.

The capriciousness of this virus is scary.

https://www.fox32chicago.com/news/simulation-research-shows-covid-19-can-spread-farther-by-those-exercising-outdoors

Belgian and Dutch researchers prove that joggers and those exercising outdoors do in fact carry risk of infecting others. A slipstream created by the person running forward can carry respiratory droplets up to 65ft behind them. The faster the person is running, the farther the droplets will fly behind them. Rsearchers advise not walking/running directly behind a person running. The more humid the environment the longer the droplets will stay in the air.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

You said they tested negative so I would say it was very likely it was not the virus. unless you know more than the prevailing medical opinion that you are not sharing?

It was a probably a false negative. It does happen with these tests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

How many times did George Lee ask that stupid question on the figures? Tony should have said sorry, go back and have a good think there

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

J. Marston wrote: »
    Watching Contagion. Why am I doing this to myself?

I watched Contagion a few years ago and found it to be a good movie, but kinda boring and filled with technobabble.

I watched it again the other night and was hanging on every word!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 Chosenwan

I thought the idea of this software was that they could backtrack a few days and tell you if a known case was close to you, at the time they were probably shedding virus.

The thing.google and apple are working.on involves Bluetooth

cloudatlas wrote: »
    I’ve had the BCG vaccine in fact most of us have. Do we need a top up?
    Unproven as of yet. There was talk of a correlation but different countries have had different bcg programs. The UK had a program so you'd think their numbers would be down.

The only thing proven to work so far is a substantial lockdown. The UK have discovered that a bit late.
    cloudatlas wrote: »
    Um the republic have a program too, I got it as a baby.

Australia is trialing BCG vaccine in their health care workers already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭briancoolcat

BanditLuke wrote: »
    He's a deranged lunatic. Yeah it used to be funny but it's a little bit frightening now. The really sad thing is his polling numbers are the highest they've ever been. Don't be surprised if he nukes China I'm deadly serious.

That's the unknown with him in charge unfortunately. All of us here on boards are arguing over the numbers and percentages and statistics and can only do our best to stick to what we are being advised to do to slow this virus down. It won't amount to a hill of beans if Trump decides to start a nuclear war with China. Im watching what is happening in the US right now like a hawk because what happens there in the next few months decides our fate in little old Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

MD1990 wrote: »

I just can't be watching any more of Trump. LOL at this nonsense and claptrap from that American tinker. America is so fcuked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

USA
    Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:

Not sure new case numbers are that relevant any more as countries have differet methodologies. The UK has conducted limited testing for example.

More accurate is to take the generally accepted death rate of 1% for larger countries and extrapolate to get the likely figure of cases. So for the UK its likely the have at least 1 million cases, Italy close to 2 million and the US close to 2 million.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-southkorea-idUSKCN21S15X

South Korea is reporting reinfections, although for some reason they're calling it a "reactivation". Maybe because it's the same infection flaring up rather than a new one.

Still, troubling development if it can restart itself even when you feel better. If this proves to be an issue, it will have implications for restriction of movement even when people are recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

For the day that's in it....

134.png

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭Caquas

I don't think tests are all that accurate. I know someone who came back from holidays and definitely had symptoms and got a negative result.

This is a major problem- the tests are not very reliable
    Early reports from China suggest its sensitivity, meaning how well it is able to return positive results when the virus is present, is somewhere around 60 to 70 percent.

The picture is improving but the problem will remain
    https://www.france24.com/en/20200410-how-false-negatives-are-complicating-covid-19-testing

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Minnie Snuggles

I maybe wrong, but a negative test simply means when the test was taken, the virus was not present at that point in time, it could very well mean that the person has recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Christy42

Not sure new case numbers are that relevant any more as countries have differet methodologies. The UK has conducted limited testing for example.

More accurate is to take the generally accepted death rate of 1% for larger countries and extrapolate to get the likely figure of cases. So for the UK its likely the have at least 1 million cases, Italy close to 2 million and the US close to 2 million.

The death rate won't be accurate either. Someone dies without a test done? Do you want to prevent a test on a living person to ensure you get the stats right for dead?

Many places have far higher rates of deaths coming through than usual and some are only recording hospital deaths. Some record nursing homes etc. So even that is a bit of an iffy metric.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Australia is trialing BCG vaccine in their health care workers already.

If it works for them great. Not seeing any correlation personally. The UK had mass vaccination up to 15 years ago so you'd expect lower death rates among the elderly and middle aged which is predominately those who die from cv19.

• Advertisement

Christy42 wrote: »
    The death rate won't be accurate either. Someone dies without a test done? Do you want to prevent a test on a living person to ensure you get the stats right for dead?

Many places have far higher rates of deaths coming through than usual and some are only recording hospital deaths. Some record nursing homes etc. So even that is a bit of an iffy metric.

It is probably decently accurate in countries less overrun at the moment but yeh death rates in west european countries seem to be underestimated by at least a third if only counting hospital deaths

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement