Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

easypazz wrote: »
    Apart from nursing homes we have about 150 dead, if that is doing bad, then what is all the fuss about?

We are just about keeping a lid on this with a lockdown.

What do you think happens when we lift that lockdown?

Do you think a lockdown is sustainable longterm, economically? Or socially in terms of people wanting to visit friends or relatives?

The numbers are still high and Holohan and Nolan admitted they are only catching about 50% of cases.

I don't think realistically there is the slightest hope of restrictions being eased anytime soon. If anything they could get more restrictive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

KiKi III wrote: »
    We’ve been through this at least twice.

480 - today’s figure

The rest have been backdated to the date the test swabs were taken as they were then sent to Germany for the results.

So that means our actual increase today from 7609 (yesterday's total plus the 1035 older German results) to 8089 means we had 6.3% of an increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,661 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

fritzelly wrote: »
    It's in line with international standards and we are testing those that need testing

/s

The criteria changed but still testing back log yet test centres closed as not enough for testing, what am I missing, is our testing fcuked up, a mess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Absolutely. But we'll let a few others try it out first.
    If there's any Irish labs who wants anyone for testing or to behave like a guinea pig for them, or whatever, I'm willing to do it. If I could get a low dose of this in a controlled setting, I will do it. It might be a way out from getting a bad dose of this.

easypazz wrote: »
    Apart from nursing homes we have about 150 dead, if that is doing bad, then what is all the fuss about?

Is 150 the number dead from nursing homes?

• Advertisement

BanditLuke wrote: »
    He was in for another procedure and they teated him.

Yes I think Kenny was in for intravenous antibiotics for an infection and was tested as a precaution

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The criteria changed but still testing back log yet test centres closed as not enough for testing, what am I missing, it our testing fcuked up, a mess

That's true. And when your testing becomes fcuked up so also does your contact tracing. Long delays in results mean long delays in contact tracing. Someone said earlier that they are only starting to do contact tracing on the German cases now, even though some of the tests are weeks old.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,286 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is 150 the number dead from nursing homes?

Yes, 156 I think Dr Holohan said this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

Caquas wrote: »
    Here’s the Taoiseach’s statement today announcing another three weeks of shutdown.

Why? “ medical experts”.

What’s the plan? Nada.

This decision was probably unavoidable but the Taoiseach must give leadership, show vision, explain how we will get out of this disaster. Not “here’s what the doctors ordered” so let’s sit around while the economy vanishes before our eyes.

What will happen on the 6th. of May? My guess? Fiddly changes relaxing some restrictions because we all be ready to revolt. But our economy will be destroyed by June.

http://https://www.gov.ie/en/speech/a7249f-speech-by-the-taoiseach-with-update-on-latest-covid-19-public-health/

With two Seamus Heaney quotes. Guess which one is genuine?

Thats a bit harsh. The plan is to survive this. Keep the numbers low for as long as possible before going back to brass tax, in as organised fashion as u can under the circumstances.

What would u suggest?

(I know u r not leading the country so u don't need to say 'It's not my job to.....'.)

• Advertisement

That's true. And when your testing becomes fcuked up so also does your contact tracing. Long delays in results mean long delays in contact tracing. Someone said earlier that they are only starting to do contact tracing on the German cases now, even though some of the tests are weeks old.

The app for contact tracing will more likely never happen here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

We are just about keeping a lid on this with a lockdown.

What do you think happens when we lift that lockdown?

Do you think a lockdown is sustainable longterm, economically? Or socially in terms of people wanting to visit friends or relatives?

The numbers are still high and Holohan and Nolan admitted they are only catching about 50% of cases.

I don't think realistically there is the slightest hope of restrictions being eased anytime soon. If anything they could get more restrictive.
    a
    Restrictions will be in place until a vaccine available.
    That's basically it.
    Let's get used to restrictions being eased then locked down again. Rinse and repeat until vaccine.

2020 is a write off.
    Can't wait for 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

Wibbs wrote: »
    Look head I get you. I really do. If I were 22 again, especially in how society has evolved over the last decade or so, I would be sh1tting myself. It is a lot more high stress oh christ I have to get my ducks in a row yesterday than it was. The things I expected out of life, a job, a gaff etc, are not so clearcut today. Not when someone outa college is looking down the barrel of Dublin rents for shoeboxes. Your average middle aged type tends not to see this. And I speak as one. :D I certainly don't envy you LZ on that score at least.

Now speaking as an middle aged cnut, because I am one, and I know you won't believe me, I sure as hell wouldn't at 22. Or now for that matter... :D but when you look back on this you will likely go "jaysus that was a pain in the arse, but..." and the rest of your life will tend to look pretty OK. You'll almost certainly be in a place different than you think, and that's good too.

Yeah I'm not really sure about this, or the condescending replies he's getting elsewhere...
    Even if this pandemic peters out somehow we've all still got climate collapse to look forward to. Not a great time at the moment to be young and retain optimism.

So a vaccine....

Ah now. You know a vaccine is made up of inactive DNA from the virus along with other agents. Others might explain it better. Generally vaccines are quite complex.

Whole different ballgame to giving someone a low dose of a virus.

Similar but different.

Unfortunately we don't have a vaccine yet. Who knows if a low dose would act like a vaccine, there's more research needed.

I was just pointing to some experts who say that viral load may make the difference between a severe or mild form of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,009 ✭✭✭threeball

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Rotweiler

Plus 1500
    Great.

I want to slap on their faces who complain on biking forums how they "miss their training program" or "I have to see my granma on Easter"

The problem is not idiots dying, its when they take another 10 with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Caquas wrote: »

What will happen on the 6th. of May? No clue. My guess? Fiddly changes relaxing some restrictions because we’ll all be ready to revolt. But our economy will be destroyed by June.

What do you suggest? How many thousands of deaths are we talking which would be "worth it"? This is an unprecedented once in a lifetime situation and I don't envy world leaders right now. What if there were bombs coming out of the sky? Would we carry on as normal? Economies shut down during the world war - nowadays we can't even cope with a few weeks of lockdown. I also find it bemusing how we are apparently so technologically advanced yet the economy crumbles apart without daily face to face contact. Perhaps it was rather fragile, lacking innovation and short termist in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

• Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Any Shinner bots around? They add so much to the discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Seamai wrote: »
    Spanish fly? I see you fixed that.

Incisive contribution there Déanaí.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

MipMap wrote: »
    Yet our Journos are all excited about whether the number is 7,000 or 8,000

well, its the difference between 14,000 or 16,000 real cases...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Shift worldwide is really moving away from western Europe as cases there drop and cases elsewhere rise. Of the 20 countries with the highest number of cases today, 10 were West European, 2 North American, 2 Middle Eastern, 1 Asian, 1 East European, 4 South American

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

MD1990 wrote: »

Has anyone ever tested him for Mad Cow? It's the only thing that would actually made sense. Either that, or he's Nero reincarnate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I’ve had the BCG vaccine in fact most of us have. Do we need a top up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

mosii wrote: »

Ah here, fcuk this virus. Can we catch a bloody break for christ sake :mad:

Why am i getting a bad feeling this is some sort of bio weapon and we aren't been given the full story. Feck this im off to bed before i end up like David Ike

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

wakka12 wrote: »
    Shift worldwide is really moving away from western Europe as cases there drop and cases elsewhere rise. Of the 20 countries with the highest number of cases today, 10 were West European, 2 North American, 2 Middle Eastern, 1 Asian, 1 East European, 4 South American

Just on this - when you say cases dropped - is that a numerical number or a % growth?

Like growth is more than likely always going to drop, as there are only so many tests you can do a day, and if large numbers have it - you'll never get over x%

for example if you had 100,000 confirmed cases and Italy could only give results for 10,000 a day - if 20% of them got it - overall it's only a 2% increases, but if they could do 50,000 cases, then maybe overall increase would be 10%

• Registered Users Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

sideswipe wrote: »
    Well that didn’t help much.......the question now is keep drinking or go to bed?

have another one, then bed.

I think I'll stay off it myself for the next three / four weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement